View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Most Fans in College 
RIP Killer

Post Most Fans in College
Cool study, Big Ten representing!

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-bl ... heart.html

The top 10:

Rank School Conference Fans

1. Ohio State Big Ten 3,167,263

2. Michigan Big Ten 2,921,066

3. Penn State Big Ten 2,642,275

4. Notre Dame Independent 2,261,738

5. Texas Big 12 2,250,310

6. Texas A&M Big 12 2.030,188

7. Auburn S.E.C. 1,900,389

8. Alabama S.E.C. 1,879,881

9. Florida S.E.C. 1,811,922

10. Clemson A.C.C. 1,761,162

The Big Ten can afford to be picky. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State are the three most popular college football teams in the country, according to our study. Seven Big Ten teams, including new addition Nebraska, rank in the top 20 nationally. And all but one Big Ten school is in the top 50, the lone exception being Northwestern, which has the Chicago market and strong academics going for it.

The only plausible additions that would allow the Big Ten to improve upon its average of about 1.5 million fans per team are Notre Dame (2.3 million fans) and Texas (also 2.3 million). But good luck adding those schools.

September 21st, 2011, 11:13 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Most Fans in College
so fans support the team and don't base their support on the individual players. Awesome, maybe now we don't need to pay all those additional expenses. :oops:

September 21st, 2011, 11:26 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Oh brother... keep that nonsense to another thread. If you think the talent level over a long period of time didn't have anything to do with that you are being ignorant.

September 21st, 2011, 11:47 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Thanks for sharing this interesting list. The most surprising thing to me is that Clemson and then Texas A & M to a lesser degree are in the top ten and USC and Oklahoma are not, the rest of the list looks about right to me.

September 21st, 2011, 12:34 pm
RIP Killer

Here is the link to the full article: http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0 ... ent-chaos/

BTW, he goes onto to verify the # of clueless OSU fans = 3,167,263

September 21st, 2011, 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I would have guessed Texas was # one, but I was also surprised on some of the top teams.

September 21st, 2011, 4:06 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I would have guessed Texas was # one, but I was also surprised on some of the top teams.

OSU has huge enrollment and alumni numbers (they accept just about anyone) and virtually no competition within the state. In Michigan, you have two schools, in Texas you have a bunch.

September 21st, 2011, 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I knew that would push OSU above UM and some others, but I still thought Texas the state was big enough and Texas the school was big enough to beat OSU out.

September 21st, 2011, 4:52 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I knew that would push OSU above UM and some others, but I still thought Texas the state was big enough and Texas the school was big enough to beat OSU out.

A&M (Houston) has a very big following in Texas, you still have Texas Tech (West Texas), Baylor (Waco), TCU (Fort Worth), and plenty other schools like the SMU (Dallas) and Houstons of the state. There is also a pretty big Oklahoma following in the state, at least here in North Texas.

I would have guessed OSU was #1, but Texas wouldn't have surprised me.

September 21st, 2011, 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
I'm surprised Tenn isn't on the map at all, with their huge stadium.

September 23rd, 2011, 6:45 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:

OSU has huge enrollment and alumni numbers (they accept just about anyone) and virtually no competition within the state. In Michigan, you have two schools, in Texas you have a bunch.

Im going to say in Michigan you have 2 and 1/2. with central and eastern producing NFL calibur players the alumni of those schools are no longer gravitating to the two bigger brothers of the state. they arnt big schools for sure but they are big enough to get an honorable mention in my book. If we were talkin baseball I'd definatly ask for an "*" lol

September 24th, 2011, 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]