View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 1:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Thoughts 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Thoughts
I know on this board we have discussed in bringing a veteran QB in next year to compete with JH. I was wondering who you guys wouldn't mind seeing detroit sign.

I just read that Warner won't be in new york next year, so that is a possibility. However Warner may want to go somewhere where he will be handed the starting job and not fight for it.

So... what are you guys thoughts? Anyone, anyone.

:)

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 29th, 2004, 6:05 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Well, the first thought that comes to mind is that Warner is garbage. If you look at his "glory" days in St. Louis, they ran an offense that afforded him plenty of time in the pocket to scan the field. Detroit doesn't have that kind of o-line, and he is nothing more than a pocket passer (no pocket = no pass). The second thought is that as soon as he gets shook a little, he goes in the tank and not just for a few plays. Usually it's more like a few games. Besides, I wouldn't want to hear his wife go on about how they are mis-using him.

As for who they could get, I'm not sure. They definately need someone as a viable back-up that can read a defense and deliver the ball and more importantly, seem like a threat to Harrington. He just seems too comfortable in his starting position with no-one to push him to play his best.

I guess Kitna looks like the best one to fit that role, but I'm sure that there will be another team or two looking at him, and possibly as a starter, which I'm sure will appeal more to him than being a back-up to Harrington.

December 30th, 2004, 6:56 am

Yeah, I see your point. I just hope we can get a decent veteran to challenge JH.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 30th, 2004, 11:16 am
Bubbles the Lion

Yeah, I see your point. I just hope we can get a decent veteran to challenge JH.

I think this whole "challenging Harrington for the job" thing is a little bit of a ruse. :lol: Especially now that Harrington is most likely going to restructure his contract, he'll be the starter, and anyone who comes in will likely be coming in with the knowledge that they will be the backup.

December 30th, 2004, 12:56 pm
Stadium Announcer

Post Joey wants to stay in Detroit
Didn't want to start a whole new thread and since the discussion seems to be centered around Joey, I thought the AP article below is pertinent.

Quote:
Detroit Lions quarterback Joey Harrington says he wants to stay with the team and is willing to restructure his contract to give the franchise salary-cap relief for next season and beyond.

"Without a doubt, this is where I want to be," Harrington told The Detroit News for a Thursday story. "I love this organization. I love the coaches, the players. This is a classy organization and a great place to be.

"I can see myself staying here."

Harrington's contract escalates dramatically in 2005. The Lions will owe him a combined $7.95 million in base salary and bonus payments for the year, unless he agrees to renegotiate the original six-year contract he signed in 2002 when the Lions drafted him out of Oregon.

Harrington has had preliminary talks with President Matt Millen on his contract and will work on a new contract in the off-season, Harrington said. The Lions end the season Sunday at Tennessee.

According to Harrington's current contract, the Lions must make a bonus payment of $3 million to Harrington by March 1 to trigger the last three years of the agreement. His base salary for 2005 is $4.95 million.

Harrington's original contract included a signing bonus of $13 million. As currently structured, his contract would result in a charge of more than $10 million against the franchise's salary cap in 2005. That would be based on combining the $3 million bonus, $4.95 million base salary for 2005 and the prorated signing bonus of $2.167 million.

The salary cap for NFL teams was $80.5 million in 2004. It is expected to increase to about $86 million in 2005.

The Lions probably will have to bring in two new backups in 2005. Mike McMahon and Rick Mirer become free agents on March 1 and are not likely to re-sign with Detroit.

In me you can see that time of year when a few yellow leaves or none at all hang. In me you can see the glowing embers that lie upon the ashes remaining from the flame of my youth. So, respect more deeply that which you must give up before long.

December 30th, 2004, 12:58 pm
All State

they need to add a veteran who can be a decent backup but warner isn't going to play second fiddle to joey in detroit. it won't be a top notch qb, but someone who has had starting experience would be nice. joey has proven to be durable so whoever it is will likely see very limited action.

they also need to add a late round pick at qb. someone who they can groom to be a solid backup for years to come or eventually challenge for the starting position if joey doesn't work out long-term. i still think joey will be fine, especially with KJ, both rogers and williams at wr and with an improved o-line. he could be the next brees...

December 30th, 2004, 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I heard talks of re-structuring before. It's good to see that Joey wants what's best for the team, and has the right attitude. It would still be nice to bring a veteran backup in at least.

December 30th, 2004, 7:07 pm
Profile WWW

I like to see some competition at the qb position, It should help in seeing if JH can step it up to keep his job.

It was nice to hear though that JH is willing to restructure to help the team out.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 30th, 2004, 7:33 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

As usual, Joey is conducting himself with class. I still want to see him pushed by a competent vet. to see if it will bring out the best in him. Keep in mind that a competent vet. may be able to help him out with breaking down the defenses. I also believe it's a good idea to take a Q.B. in the late rounds and groom him but this isn't exactly a "rich" draft this year and Detroit isn't exactly known as a team that "grooms" quarterbacks.

December 30th, 2004, 9:32 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I agree with bringing in a vet backup and drafting a QB in the mid-to-late rounds. Of the vets that may be available next season I think Jeff Garcia may be a good choice, assumeing he is released by the Browns.

He should be affordable. His age, knee injury, and trouble with the Browns, should lower his market value to where he won't command a big salary. Some might say those are all reasons not to go with him, but I think he probably has some good production left in him especially as a back up.

It's obvious that Mooch and the system he runs are a good fit for him and visa versa. I think if he was told he could compete for the starting job he would strongly consider coming to Detroit. He wouldn't have to learn a new system (a plus at this point in his career) He would also have promising WR's and a good running game.

If Harrington "slumps" next year there would be a guy on the bench who could come in and help win (the Lions didn't have that this year IMO). If Harrington turns out to be a total bust Garcia could be a short term stop gap while the Lions look for the next "franchise QB".

As for who to draft, I can't say right now. But if they see someone they like I wouldn't be upset if they took someone as early as the 3rd round.

December 31st, 2004, 5:57 am
Modmin Dude

Post Veterna QB
I agree, I think Jeff might want to come here and I have the feeling that the Brownies will release him. He knows Mooch and the system and he would be a very good mentor to Joey and our 3rd string 'project QB' (Do we still have Curt Anes' rights????) I'm quite sure that Mikey and Mirer are both gone (Why again did we sign Mirer :roll: )

December 31st, 2004, 10:04 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

One small problem with Garcia.....HE WANTS TO BE A STARTER!! He will not accept a back-up role. For all intents and purposes, he can also be a better quaterback in this system than Harrington. I also doubt that he will be released by Cleveland next year since they signed him to a 4 year deal last year.

December 31st, 2004, 9:35 pm
QB Coach

I just had a thought, and it may be entirely off-base, but maybe this is a ploy by Joey's agent. He as well as Joey realizes that Detroit doesn't appreciate the way that he is progressing, and is afraid of him being released next year. Instead of that, he may get a contract extention out of all of this. It just sounds fishy that Joey is going to get a contract extention, while he is taking a slight paycut, he is getting a contract to keep him here longer. Thoughts?

January 1st, 2005, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

January 1st, 2005, 9:54 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I just had a thought, and it may be entirely off-base, but maybe this is a ploy by Joey's agent. He as well as Joey realizes that Detroit doesn't appreciate the way that he is progressing, and is afraid of him being released next year. Instead of that, he may get a contract extention out of all of this. It just sounds fishy that Joey is going to get a contract extention, while he is taking a slight paycut, he is getting a contract to keep him here longer. Thoughts?

I don't necessarily think it's a ploy. I think that by not playing McMahon in the last few games (or even putting him in at all), the Lions have let Harrington know (at least a little bit) what direction they're going in. It's very, very unlikely that he would have been cut, but it's very likely that he could lose his job as a starter. The FO has to see that there are other problems out there besides the play of the QB (drops, playcalling, inability to even play in the second half of the game).

Unless the losing record could be solely pinned on Joey, I didn't think he would be cut. They probably want to give him another year to have KJ and Roy in a year where they're not rookies. Contract restructuring is pretty common, and what Harrington did isn't really all that special. I think that many people figured he would have to restructure around now anyway, unless he was putting up Peyton/Favre/Brady/McNabb type numbers. I think the biggest thing about his statement is his committment to staying in Detroit. The city hasn't exactly been kind to him. Admittedly, he's deserved most of the criticism, but he gets booed for some seriously stupid stuff...

January 1st, 2005, 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next