View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Texas A&M Looking to Join SEC 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Texas A&M Looking to Join SEC
MIssouri might be next for the SEC:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ing-report

September 20th, 2011, 11:11 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
grgrundge wrote:
Does Okalahoma even come close to the academic standards of the B10? Or would they let that slide for the big $$$. I think Okalahoma State goes wherever Okalahoma goes and I do not believe that the B10 would let Okalahome State join.

I doubt they are all that different than Nebraska.

Nebraska is one reason why I think Oklahoma is a great fit for the Big 10. I also would not mind Oklahoma State ( if they are a package deal with Oklahoma) and Kansas State.

Just need to correct something I just noticed. Drop the State part from Kansas. I don't know why I put that in there. But, I just noticed that I did. LOL.

September 22nd, 2011, 5:29 pm
RIP Killer

We must be the same kinda stupid... I read it as just Kansas ;)

September 22nd, 2011, 6:11 pm
RIP Killer

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... 3th-member

Done deal.

September 27th, 2011, 10:13 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

steensn wrote:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7024498/sec-officially-welcomes-texas-aggies-13th-member

Done deal.

Mizzou is apparently the SEC's preferred choice for #14 but they seem to be dragging their feet, holding out for a Big 10 offer. SEC may be considering WVU as #14 if Mizzou doesn't make a move fast. This could all shake out in the next week or two.

September 27th, 2011, 10:54 am
RIP Killer

If we could, adding Mizz and WVU would be a killer move IMO. I would rather grab Mizz and Oklahoma but we shoul be realistic.

September 27th, 2011, 11:09 am

steensn wrote:
If we could, adding Mizz and WVU would be a killer move IMO. I would rather grab Mizz and Oklahoma but we shoul be realistic.

WVU would be a good sports addition to the Big 10 but culturally and academically it isn't a great fit. Big 10 and ACC are very hung up on academics for some reason and WVU's admission standards are relatively low. Honestly, the ACC is where WVU belongs in terms of sports. That's where all of the geographic and historic rivals play (former Big East teams, plus Maryland and Virginia). Unfortunately, the academically snooty Tobacco Road schools aren't going to be supportive of adding WVU so I don't think the ACC will be an option in the immediate future.

I'm guessing that Rutgers will head to the Big 10 eventually. Maybe Connecticut too, although I could see them in the ACC.

September 27th, 2011, 11:21 am
RIP Killer

I personally like the acedemic standards.

September 27th, 2011, 11:48 am

steensn wrote:
I personally like the acedemic standards.

I work in education and highly value academic standards, but the conference realignment game is about television sets. Nobody watches a college football game to admire the students' academic achievements. The attitude of the Big 10 and ACC is pretentious, but frankly the ACC and Big 10 wear pretentiousness on their sleeves like a badge of honor. It could really damage the ACC in the long run, as they will be left in the dust of conferences that put better teams on TV.

September 27th, 2011, 12:26 pm
RIP Killer

It is an interesting debate to seperate the acedemics from the sports or not to.

September 27th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Thanks for humoring my rant! :D

September 27th, 2011, 2:32 pm
RIP Killer

No problem, I can agree to disagree on this one. I like the fact a college would take into consideration the reason they exist as a precurser to acceptance for "side distractions." It is clear though that football and basketball have taken on a life of their own though.

September 27th, 2011, 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3