View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Killer's Korner
Pablo wrote:
I'm hearing about the Lions all over, even on Dallas radio. They are all over ESPN, ESPN radio, the NFL Network, etc. That was Suh you saw on the front page of ESPN.com last week.

Here is a solution - DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket. You can watch every Lions game. This is also streaming on the web.

The answer is out their Neo, just swallow the Honolulu Blue pill.

Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Yep you caught me voicing my frustration..... It may take ESPN a day to catch up, because I just caught some water cooler talk about the Lions and bills, but still doesn't seem to be the team by team highlights that I saw yesterday. Definite favortism with the Bills, and I don't get that....

The Bills did defeat Brady and the mighty Pats, we knocked off a Vikes team that has yet to sniff the win column. I think the Bills were the bigger story yesterday.

Put down the Cowboys to go 4-0 and it will even pick up more steam.

September 26th, 2011, 1:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Yep you caught me voicing my frustration..... It may take ESPN a day to catch up, because I just caught some water cooler talk about the Lions and bills, but still doesn't seem to be the team by team highlights that I saw yesterday. Definite favortism with the Bills, and I don't get that....

My hat definetly goes off to the Bills, but being a Lions fan and supporter, I look at it this way. When we played the Pats, WE beat the Pats. Brady and the Pats beat themselves yesterday.

Not taking anything away from the Bills, but living with a brother who is a Michigan fan, those comments sorta rub off on me..

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 26th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Modmin Dude

kdsberman wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

My hat definetly goes off to the Bills, but being a Lions fan and supporter, I look at it this way. When we played the Pats, WE beat the Pats. Brady and the Pats beat themselves yesterday.

Not taking anything away from the Bills, but living with a brother who is a Michigan fan, those comments sorta rub off on me..

When WE played the Pats, it didn't count.

/just sayin'

September 26th, 2011, 2:04 pm
RIP Killer

Then the Vikings beat themselves yesterday and we didn't deserve the win...

September 26th, 2011, 2:11 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

That is a little harsh. Who had the most yards, first downs, the most TOP, didn't turn the ball over, fewer penalties, better 3rd down %, etc and made big plays when needed?

To simply say the Lions didn't deserve to win is naive. The Vikes didn't help themselves, but the Lions also deserve a lot of credit - gesh.

September 26th, 2011, 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I was being contrastive based on the comment above... showing how it seems silly just like the Bills loss. Vikings were dominating us and fell apart. Pats were dominating the Bills until they fell apart...

Using ksdsberman logic. I don't actually believe that.

September 26th, 2011, 2:25 pm
RIP Killer

speaking of Lions/Bills - who is better (video):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... s-or-Bills?

September 26th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:

That is a little harsh. Who had the most yards, first downs, the most TOP, didn't turn the ball over, fewer penalties, better 3rd down %, etc and made big plays when needed?

To simply say the Lions didn't deserve to win is naive. The Vikes didn't help themselves, but the Lions also deserve a lot of credit - gesh.
steensn wrote:
I was being contrastive based on the comment above... showing how it seems silly just like the Bills loss. Vikings were dominating us and fell apart. Pats were dominating the Bills until they fell apart...

Using ksdsberman logic. I don't actually believe that.

*cough* This is where the Quote option would probably be helpful */cough* :wink: 8)

September 26th, 2011, 2:40 pm
RIP Killer

Dangit... good poitn Wags.... oh crap I did it again!

September 26th, 2011, 2:42 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:

Have to agree. Yesterday I posted my dissatisfaction with the Lions O-line play against Minny, and as I reflect there are several areas we need to improve upon. But the bottom line is we won, and even though I don't care for quoting "Al" Davis, "Just win, baby" seems appropriate.

September 26th, 2011, 3:08 pm
RIP Killer

Let's just not create a double standard with the Bills.

September 26th, 2011, 5:16 pm
RIP Killer

from ESPN Dallas

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/i ... ys-stadium

Quote:
Matthew Stafford altering Lions' destiny

Call it fate or a crazy coincidence, but the Curse of Bobby Layne certainly took an interesting twist after the Hall of Famer's hex supposedly ended.

First, a quick history lesson: This all started in 1958, when the defending NFL champion Detroit Lions traded the hard-living Layne the day after a 13-13 tie in the second week of the season, opting to move forward with clean-cut Tobin Rote at quarterback. Legend has it that Layne angrily declared on his way out of town that the Lions, who celebrated three titles in the previous six seasons, wouldn't win for the next 50 years.

Maybe it's a myth, but a curse is as good an explanation as any for the five decades of misery that followed for the franchise. The Lions won a grand total of one playoff game over the life of Layne's so-called curse, bottoming out with the lone 0-16 campaign in league history during the 50th season after the legend's unceremonious departure from Detroit.

With the first overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the winless Lions selected ... quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Oh, and Stafford just happened to share a high school alma mater with Layne (and Lions legend Doak Walker), having starred at perennial Texas powerhouse Highland Park. Some old-timers in the wealthy community, located minutes from downtown Dallas, say Stafford actually grew up on the same street as Layne.

Does that sound like destiny for Detroit or what?

Not that Stafford particularly cares about the curse at this point. He's kind of preoccupied with preparing to come home to face his former favorite team at Cowboys Stadium and trying to keep the Lions undefeated this late in a season for the first time since 1980.

"It's part of football folklore or whatever, but it's a new time," Stafford said. "It's a new age, so it doesn't come up much."

Stafford's NFL career certainly didn't get off to much of a storybook start. His first two seasons featured flashes of his phenomenal talent -- the rare arm strength, accuracy and ability to read defenses -- but were ruined by injuries.

Stafford started only 11 of 32 possible games the last two seasons -- and finished only eight -- due to injuries to his right knee and both shoulders. Not coincidentally, the Lions' losing ways continued, extending their streak to 10 years without a winning season.

With a healthy Stafford, one of several premier young players on a rebuilt roster, the 3-0 Lions are suddenly causing opponents to curse.

Stafford, whose arsenal of weapons is headlined by freakishly-talented receiver Calvin Johnson, is performing like an elite quarterback so far this season. Only Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers and New England's Tom Brady have better passer ratings than Stafford's 110.7. The 23-year-old Stafford ranks in the NFL's top five in passing yards (977) and touchdowns (nine) and has thrown only two interceptions.

If Stafford keeps this up, the 40-year drought since the Lions have had a Pro Bowl quarterback will probably end. Greg Landry in 1971 is the lone Lions quarterback to play in a Pro Bowl since Layne left, with the franchise whiffing on top-10 draft picks Andre Ware and Joey Harrington in the last two decades.

Those quarterback woes are distant memories in Detroit now.

"They have a very, very good quarterback, first player taken in the draft in Stafford," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "You put on the tape and it's easy to see why he was that. Very talented guy, understands the game, can throw the ball all over the park."

Stafford's success certainly isn't a surprise to anybody who crossed paths with him in Highland Park. In a town that has a waiting list for the high school's season tickets, he was somewhat of a local legend long before he had a driver's license.

Coach Randy Allen, who is considered one of the country's top high school quarterback gurus, remembers folks telling him he had to see the seventh-grader who could throw a football 70 yards and had never lost a football game. Sure enough, Allen made plans for Stafford to start as a sophomore soon after meeting him.

As a 15-year-old, Stafford threw 38 touchdowns and only three interceptions while leading the Scots to the Class 4A state semifinals. That playoff run included a classic performance at Texas Stadium, where Stafford threw for 400 yards to outduel national-record-setting senior Ennis quarterback Graham Harrell in an upset of an undefeated team heavily favored to win the state title.

"He's the best I've seen anywhere," Allen recalls being told by Jim Harbaugh the next year, when the current 49ers head coach came to Highland Park to recruit for the University of San Diego.

That wasn't an unusual reaction for college coaches who stopped by the campus, where the Green Bay Packers practiced during the week of the Super Bowl last season. Allen would let Stafford "put on a little show" for recruiters with throwing sessions, wowing coaches who could hear his passes whistling through the air.

Stafford led the Scots to a state title as a senior, ending a 48-year drought for a tradition-rich program that had many playoff heartbreaks. That's something Layne never did despite playing in the same backfield as Walker, who was part of the school's first state championship as a senior after Layne had graduated and gone to Texas.

"Ever since I've been 14 or 15 years old, I've been playing on a big stage in front of a lot of people with a lot of pressure," Stafford said. "You just kind of understand it. It's part of it and it kind of becomes normal. I loved playing for Highland Park and wouldn't want to change that for anything."

Recruiting services ranked Stafford, who committed to Georgia before that season, as the nation's top quarterback that year. ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper had even higher praise, predicting that Stafford would be the top pick when he eventually declared for the draft.

"This isn't a surprise to Matthew," Allen said. "This was a plan."

Jim Schwartz, who was hired after the Lions' winless season, did a lot more than just due diligence before making Stafford the first pick of his Detroit tenure. Schwartz even traveled to Texas to learn more about Stafford, meeting with Allen at historic Highlander Stadium, where plaques honor Layne and Walker.

Allen gave Schwartz a highlight reel of all of Stafford's high school comeback wins that day. The coach surprised Stafford by showing the tape during the prospect's predraft visit to Detroit. Stafford impressed Schwartz with his photographic recall of those games, as Stafford told Schwartz in vivid detail what he was about to see before several plays flashed on the screen.

As far as Stafford's unique ties to the Lions' history, well, Schwartz acknowledges that it's intriguing, if not relevant.

"Obviously hard to play too much into it, but it is very interesting that the great quarterback in this franchise went to the same high school as Matthew," Schwartz said. "I think it ends just around there. But it makes a good story."

The story gets better every time a healthy Stafford steps onto the field, serving as a reminder of Detroit's glory days while making the frustrating five decades since then seem so far away.

September 29th, 2011, 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

seems like we've all heard most of that article already :lol:

I actually looked up the 1952 Lions to see how many Wins / Losses they had etc, I think it was 9-3. but they lost 2 in the first few games. Looks like history is not literally repeating itself, but the link between Layne and Stafford is bizarre.

A great question is this - When is the last time the 2nd string QB wasn't the best QB on our roster.

September 29th, 2011, 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Ferris wrote:
A great question is this - When is the last time the 2nd string QB wasn't the best QB on our roster.

Sadly there was still some people saying that before this season! I was like wow...If you don't see a difference when Matt is in the game to Shaun you have some big issues. I have no issues with Hill..I think he could have even won 2 of the 1st 3 games atleast. He's a decent QB, but Matt is on the verge of being talked about as one of the best QB's in the game. Last 5 games he has 15 TD and 3 INT.

September 30th, 2011, 8:06 am
Varsity Captain

Maybe it's time to see if we could find a trade partner and mayge give Hill A chance to start. I'm sure there are teams out there that would love to have him!

October 1st, 2011, 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next