View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
QB Coach

Post Re: OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction?
njroar wrote:
But they weren't unclear. They identified Talbot, who is best known as connected to the scandal at OSU, and said he got a credential under a different name.

What happened at OSU is a scandal. Regardless of what's been proven and what's speculation, its a scandal. Things were hidden. There's no accused scandal. OSU was involved with a scandal. The only fact that is unclear about that word is the depth of it and what the final resolution will reveal. His connection is clear. The only part that is an accusation is if he actually gave money to Pryor. He's accused of it, it hasn't been disproved, so he is connected, rightly or wrongly. Its not an accusation to say there was a scandal at OSU.

As for news next to op-eds, in a print newspaper, you'd never see that. Online, they put similar articles links next to it. That's everywhere. You don't have to click, and its your responsibility to see if its a hard news piece, or its labeled opinion.

Back to this story... They mention the scandal as a way of identifying Talbot. The story is about Talbot using a fake name and having his credential revoked once Michigan found out.

There's nothing factually wrong in the story. There is nothing wrong with using the word scandal in the context of the story, except for the grammatical errors in the first sentence.

Are you upset because they used the word scandal and OSU in same sentence? I'm just trying to figure out what your problem is exactly so I can answer more precisely.

As I read it, I think the issue steensn has is that the statement says that the guy was involved in the scandal by giving money to Pryor. It doesn't say that he was involved by allegedly giving money, it says he was involved by giving money. That is a statement as if it is a fact. Take these two statements as an example:

Suh was penalized because he hit Jay Cutler in the head vs Suh was penalized because it appeared he hit Cutler in the head.

Of course, we all know that he didn't hit him in the head, but many in the media and on message boards still use the "hit to the head" as an example of Suh being dirty. But, he didn't, and the two statements above show exactly how the same situation can be described in two different ways, one that accurately shows that he was accused of doing something, and the other says he definitely did do it. Get it?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 22nd, 2011, 9:14 am
RIP Killer

Bingo TJ, until the preface the opening sentence with a some clarification MOST people will read it and treat it like the situation being presented is factually happened. There is no conditional statement till much later and the reader has already then been influenced. This is so down right obvious that to balk at it shows that the person is just trying to find a reason to disagree.

"NJOAR a post on Lionbacker.com come may or may not have killed a male prostitute he paid to have sex with last night."

That is factual correct, but misleading and makes the reader already consider NJROAR as guilty or even consider that he did it. It's unfair...

September 22nd, 2011, 9:19 am
RIP Killer

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -buffaloes

He's gonna make mistakes but this is a good call. Finallly!

September 22nd, 2011, 4:06 pm
steensn wrote:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7004410/freshman-braxton-miller-start-ohio-state-buckeyes-vs-colorado-buffaloes

He's gonna make mistakes but this is a good call. Finallly!

I don't see any way that Miller is a better Qb at 18, but I'm guessing they're doing it for future potential. Is OSU going to make it to a bowl game this year with a Freshman Qb?

September 23rd, 2011, 6:47 pm
RIP Killer

What you have is a QB not good enough for competition who is a old Sr. On the other side you have an ubber talented but extremely raw QB who has the talent needed for the competition but not the experience. So either you let get eaten alive someone who can never be good enough or put someone in that stands a chance, though slim.

OSU is clearly in a rebuild season with 5-9 starters out each week for various reasons and the other starters filling in for departed seniors. Practically speaking, 75% of the starters are new this year or filling in for suspensions and injury... there is no way you can expect them to destroy opponents.

You can either sink with someone who is not good enough or sink with someone who could get better with experiance even this year. If Braxton wasn't on the roster then Guiton would likely be getting the nod this week over Bauserman.

September 23rd, 2011, 6:54 pm
RIP Killer

Looks like they had a solid gameplan with Miller, become more of an option team until he gets more comfortable at throwing.

September 24th, 2011, 8:53 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

steensn wrote:
Looks like they had a solid gameplan with Miller, become more of an option team until he gets more comfortable at throwing.

I watched the OSU/MSU game and Miller looked somewhat lost out there or the coaches were lost. I think it is going to be somewhat of a long year in Columbus for the rest of the season, the upcoming schedule is pretty tough and going with a freshman QB it will tough to get W's. I can actually see the UofM and OSU game this year having some meaning. I believe Fickell is not the guy and Urban Meyer can probably walk into Columbus with a hefty contract in hand.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:38 am
RIP Killer

grgrundge wrote:
steensn wrote:

I watched the OSU/MSU game and Miller looked somewhat lost out there or the coaches were lost. I think it is going to be somewhat of a long year in Columbus for the rest of the season, the upcoming schedule is pretty tough and going with a freshman QB it will tough to get W's. I can actually see the UofM and OSU game this year having some meaning. I believe Fickell is not the guy and Urban Meyer can probably walk into Columbus with a hefty contract in hand.

That was ugly, the game wasn't nearly as close as the score - can't believe the Spartans didn't get a shutout. With that QB under center it is going to be a loooooooooooooooooong 2011 at OSU.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Pablo wrote:
grgrundge wrote:
steensn wrote:

That was ugly, the game wasn't nearly as close as the score - can't believe the Spartans didn't get a shutout. With that QB under center it is going to be a loooooooooooooooooong 2011 at OSU.

If that DB would of wrapped up that last tackle they would of had a shutout. Cousin likes to keep the other team in the game at times. It was a good defensive game, I believe MSU is #1 in the nation for defense and OSU was playing pretty good D too. I was just wondering where that front seven was for the ND game.

October 3rd, 2011, 12:18 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Quote:
Columbus Dispatch:

Suspended Ohio State players Daniel “Boom” Herron and DeVier Posey will sit out at least one more game thanks to additional findings of improper benefits, according to the Columbus Dispatch on Monday.

Running back Herron, receiver Posey, left tackle Mike Adams, defensive end Solomon Thomasand and former quarterback Terrelle Pryor were suspended for the first five games of this season after it was determined they received improper benefits at a Columbus tattoo parlor.

Adams and Thomasand should be able to return for Saturday’s game against Nebraska, while the report said that Herron could sit out one more game and Posey multiple contests for benefits from a summer job near Cleveland.

According to the newspaper, the findings came from a separate investigation into the program by the NCAA. Running back Jordan Hall, cornerback Travis Howard and safety Corey Brown were suspended two games for reportedly accepting $200 each from OSU booster Robert “Bobby” DiGeronimo to attend a charity fundraiser.

The newspaper said that DiGeronimo also reportedly paid Herron and Posey for separate summer work. According to the report, DiGeronimo has a program in which his company, Independence Excavating, gives Buckeyes football and basketball players summer jobs, which is not an NCAA violation.

However, the NCAA “thinks it found discrepancies” between what Herron and Posey were paid and what is the going rate for their work, the report said.

In short, it’s just more static for Ohio State to deal with after a dismal loss to Michigan State on Saturday.

Guess the NCAA wasn't done investigating in August.

October 3rd, 2011, 4:08 pm
But it's all smoke and mirrors, and nothing really "wrong" happened! :roll:

If the king pin of all of this wouldn't have quit college football it would have been much worse.

October 3rd, 2011, 4:11 pm
Varsity Captain

Far be it for me to defend an OSU player let alone the coach but there has been one constant with all of the accusations. That would be the Ohio State athletic director, Gene Smith.

Smith contends that he had no idea of the alleged going ons with his team and or the coach. Rumor has it that other OSU programs are being looked into aswell. If this butthole says one more time that it was "their fault" and he had no idea of what was going on, he needs to be fired and then hanged. He can also be sued for failing to perform as his contract directed. (if the bucknuts were smart enough to add that)

I hate Ohio State, but I hate this bastard worse!

October 3rd, 2011, 9:19 pm
QB Coach

I just heard over the weekend from my Grandfather that Boise State got penalized 3 scholarships for inappropriate housing of student athletes or something like that. I guess they had some SA sleep on the floor of a dormatory, and that was a violation. From what G Pa was saying the announcer he was listening to was blowing a gasket, because Boise lost 3 scholarships for this, while OSU got there hand smacked.

I don't even know where to begin to confirm what G pa heard.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 4th, 2011, 3:44 pm
QB Coach

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I just heard over the weekend from my Grandfather that Boise State got penalized 3 scholarships for inappropriate housing of student athletes or something like that. I guess they had some SA sleep on the floor of a dormatory, and that was a violation. From what G Pa was saying the announcer he was listening to was blowing a gasket, because Boise lost 3 scholarships for this, while OSU got there hand smacked.

I don't even know where to begin to confirm what G pa heard.

Last I knew, the NCAA hasn't ruled on this yet. Every punishment to OSU has been self imposed. Or am I incorrect about that?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 4th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Nope, your correct. Its all been self imposed up to this point. Fact is, the investigation is still ongoing. So no one can say anything is false at this point. Everyone has denied their part, but nothing has been ruled on yet. The investigation isn't done yet.

October 4th, 2011, 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next