View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 iPhone 4S 
Modmin Dude

Post iPhone 4S
Anyone here thinking of getting it? For you Apple-heads, what are the chances that Apple and/or Verizon will have some sort of deal when purchasing & extending contracts? The wife and I are looking to replace our current phones and we don't want to miss any possible deals. :wink:

October 7th, 2011, 10:18 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: iPhone 4S
Also, if anyone is familiar with iTunes, I have a couple questions on that too....

Basically looking for some help/advice on the best, easiest, most cost effective way to use our current music library.

I think with iCloud if we were to setup 2 iPhones with the same account, then we could have everything (media) in both locations, however we'd like to make sure that we would each have our own email account (I certainly don't want to see her shopping emails telling about the latest, greatest sale :lol: )

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx!,
Apple n00b :mrgreen:

October 7th, 2011, 11:13 am
QB Coach

I'm not an expert, but I've been using Macs and the iPhone for several years, so I might be able to help. What specifically are your questions/what are you trying to do?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 7th, 2011, 11:51 am
Modmin Dude

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I'm not an expert, but I've been using Macs and the iPhone for several years, so I might be able to help. What specifically are your questions/what are you trying to do?

The wife and I are looking to get iPhones and we'd like to be able to share all of our music, whether its from iTunes or our personal collection, on both devices; we'd also like to be able to share photos. However, we would like to have our own email, calendar & contacts (not shared). Do you know if this is possible? If so, how? From what I understand, we should be able to share the music via iTunes and iTunes Match (for personal collection) but I haven't been able to find out if we can do that AND maintain separate email/calendar/contacts. I was searching TiPB.com forums for info and it looks like it MAY be possible by creating different iCloud accounts for the email/calendar/contacts, but I just don't know. Any ideas/thoughts? Do my questions even make sense???

October 7th, 2011, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

Wags, I don't believe you store email, calendar, contacts in the cloud. I've set all those up on my phone, not through iTunes so I think you are good there.

The only things I really have on iTunes is music and I have my apps on the App store. I've got an iPhone and IPad, both have the same music but different apps.

October 7th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
Wags, I don't believe you store email, calendar, contacts in the cloud. I've set all those up on my phone, not through iTunes so I think you are good there.

The only things I really have on iTunes is music and I have my apps on the App store. I've got an iPhone and IPad, both have the same music but different apps.

App..crap, didn't think of that. Why do you have different apps? Is it because there are different iPhone apps vs iPad apps???

October 7th, 2011, 12:22 pm
QB Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
The wife and I are looking to get iPhones and we'd like to be able to share all of our music, whether its from iTunes or our personal collection, on both devices; we'd also like to be able to share photos. However, we would like to have our own email, calendar & contacts (not shared). Do you know if this is possible? If so, how? From what I understand, we should be able to share the music via iTunes and iTunes Match (for personal collection) but I haven't been able to find out if we can do that AND maintain separate email/calendar/contacts. I was searching TiPB.com forums for info and it looks like it MAY be possible by creating different iCloud accounts for the email/calendar/contacts, but I just don't know. Any ideas/thoughts? Do my questions even make sense???

I'll start with the easy stuff. The email and calendar, yes you definitely can have separate accounts and calendars. For example, if you each have your own gmail account, you just enter the account info (user name, password, etc.) and it will be set up. You do each one separately and they never cross over, so they are separate from one another. The email & calendar is totally separate from the music, so it should be no problem there.

As for sharing the music, that's a good question. Since iCloud is new I'm not sure of the answer. I believe with the current setup you can share your iTunes library on more than 1 phone, so I would think it would work with iCloud as well. Most likely you'll just need to use the same Apple ID on both phones, and then it will sync to both phones. If you have more questions, I'd suggest reaching out to Apple and their sales/support team can probably answer the questions for you. They're usually very helpful.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 7th, 2011, 12:27 pm
QB Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:

App..crap, didn't think of that. Why do you have different apps? Is it because there are different iPhone apps vs iPad apps???

There are some that are different. You can definitely share apps between devices though. I know that for sure. So you only have to purchase the app once and both phones can use it.

October 7th, 2011, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Yes. I use a lot more location based apps on my phone than my iPad which I use primarily at home. My wife also uses the iPad a lot, so there are specific apps she uses that I don't.

I tend to download apps straight onto my device rather than using iTunes anyway so it is no big deal.

October 7th, 2011, 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Got it fellas! Thanks SOOOO much! Looks like I'll need to swing by an Apple store to verify a few things before we make the plunge!

October 7th, 2011, 1:25 pm
RIP Killer

Ordered my 4S today. We'll see how the iOS 5 and cloud work when I get my 4S and replace my ultra slow 3G

October 7th, 2011, 7:57 pm
Team MVP

Cant wait til January for my contract to be up so I can get a 4s. I miss my Iphone 3Gs. Cannot wait to get rid of my POS Droid...never get one again.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 25th, 2011, 2:01 am
QB Coach

I've had my 4S for about a week now. Getting it set up was a little tricky, as some of the settings and contacts didn't copy over quite right. But, after playing around for a bit, I've got it all working now.

The phone is really fast, which I love. Also, the camera is fantastic. Not sure how much I'll use it, as I haven't been a huge cell phone photo taker in the past. But, knowing the quality level of it, I've already been trying to take a few more pics/videos just to see how they turn out. Maybe that will continue.

Haven't used SIRI too much yet. The best use of it I've found so far is being able to listen to my txts and respond while I'm in the car without having to type and drive at the same time. That is a pretty cool feature.

Other than that, not a dramatic change from the 3GS in terms of using it. I am still tempted to look at the Galaxy Nexus, just to compare. We'll see....

October 25th, 2011, 8:30 am
Does the ipone 4S camera have a flash? My droid claims to be an 8.0 mega pixel phone, but it really sucks. It can't focus for poop, and if you're moving at ALL the pic comes out blurry. It's really good for nothing.

October 25th, 2011, 12:53 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Does the ipone 4S camera have a flash? My droid claims to be an 8.0 mega pixel phone, but it really sucks. It can't focus for poop, and if you're moving at ALL the pic comes out blurry. It's really good for nothing.

Yes it does. The camera on the new iphone really is quite good. It won't replace my DSLR, but for everyday point & shoot type stuff, it's better than the Canon I bought a couple years ago. Plus the HD video is pretty astounding for a cell phone. Check out this video:

http://vimeo.com/30606785

The Canon 5D Mark ii is a $2500 camara (with a lens), and is considered one of the best DSLRs for video. The iPhone isn't quite as good, but it's damn close and only costs $300. That is pretty remarkable in my opinion.

October 25th, 2011, 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next