View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Boss to miss a lot more than 2-3 weeks 
RIP Killer

Post Boss to miss a lot more than 2-3 weeks
according to Detroit radio and MLive... They are both reporting that he will be out till November if not the whole season - ugggh...

I know he had some issues with the knees in college, let's hope Davis, Lewis, etc, are ready to play if this turns out to be true.

August 11th, 2004, 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

there we go again...making average RBs look like barry sanders...oy vey :roll:

August 11th, 2004, 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

"Bailey may be gone:
Tom Kowalski reports that Boss Bailey's knee injury is far worse than anticipated. He could be out until November, and likely the whole season. Also, rookie LB Alex Lewis will miss the whole preseason."

To hear Killer talk about you can go here:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/audio/index. ... lski2.html

August 11th, 2004, 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

This news is terrible. I think that having Bailey gone for the whole season will severely disrupt our defense. Lewis, my first pick as a replacement for him, is quick enough to be a good OLB, lets just hope that he can addapt to the new style of play he will experience in the NFL. This will be an interesting year, and lets all hope that Lehman and Lewis can get the job done. If worse comes to worse and they do have to have Lewis play for the whole season in Boss's stead, it should be a good learning experience for both Lehman and Lewis. Hopefully Lehman will get some good leadership experience being the most qualified OLB on the team with Boss gone.

August 11th, 2004, 5:13 pm
RIP Killer

theBOSS - with a name like that perhaps you should be filling in. I hope you're right about Lewis. My impressions were that the Lions were looking at him as primarily a special teams kinda guy (at least for this year). I think James "Dirty" Davis will by the guy who has to step up at LB. He is only in his second year but starting 2 rookies at LB is real scary... :(

August 11th, 2004, 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Bad news from the Yahoo feeds on the front page:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Second-year linebacker Boss Bailey will miss much of the regular season while recovering from knee surgery.

Bailey injured his right knee in an Aug. 3 practice. He underwent arthroscopic surgery Wednesday in Athens, Ga., where doctors discovered torn cartilage that had not shown up in previous tests.

``The damage was worse than anyone had realized from the tests,'' Lions coach Steve Mariucci said. ``The doctor immediately repaired it, but Boss will be off the knee for several weeks, and then will be looking at a rehab period on top of that.''

Mariucci declined to put a timetable on Bailey's return, but said the Lions hope to have him back this season.

As a rookie in 2003, Bailey won a starting job at outside linebacker and was among the team's leaders in defensive snaps played. He finished with one interception and 1.5 sacks.

Donte Curry is expected to replace Bailey in the lineup.

August 11th, 2004, 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Donte Curry replaces him?? Damn, this is worse than I thought! He was the only definite starter on our LB group, and now everything is up in the air. I would like to see Lehman on the outside now, even though he has been playing ILB in training camp. So what I think we should is...
LOLB- Lehman
ILB- Holmes
ROLB- Davis

Any thoughts? I think it's better than letting Donte Curry playing at OLB and Lehman in the middle...

August 11th, 2004, 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree - Lehman, Holmes, Davis - check out the story in the morning... should be up after the server indexes

August 12th, 2004, 12:38 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

That Alex Lewis pick is looking better and better by the day. All I hear is positive signs about him in camp, and it seems that he has the right attitude. I was pissed that we were passing on quality guards and safeties, but it's good we have depth at OLB now. I'm interested to watch him in pre-season and how he performs.

August 12th, 2004, 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

Unfortunately Lewis(who was battling for the weakside LB spot wth Davis) is in a boot with a high ankle sprain and is likely to miss the whole preseason(vital experience he needs). Unless Davis can be moved from the weakside to the Sam(where Boss plays, and Lehman is put in as the Will LB) we will likely see Curry playing the Sam. According to press reports Lehman is not a likely option at the strongside based on the fact he has never played there.
Curry has 10 starts under his belt as the Sam and is having a solid camp, losing Boss sucks but I wouldn't hit the panic button with a hammer quite yet.

August 12th, 2004, 12:46 pm
QB Coach

Stupid injury bug, always has to hit us constantly!

August 12th, 2004, 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

All signs are currently pointing at Curry... from the AP

Curry ready to fill Bailey's spot on Lions roster
Associated Press

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - Donte Curry thought he might be starting a couple preseason games at most.

Now that the Detroit Lions linebacker knows he'll be in the lineup deep into the regular season, he thinks he'll be ready for the role.

Like most of his teammates, Curry was surprised Wednesday when he found out that second-year starter Boss Bailey would miss several weeks with a knee injury. The original diagnosis had Bailey back in time for the regular-season opener.

"I had talked to Boss before he went to Georgia for the surgery, and we thought it was going to be something small," Curry said. "I think it shocked the whole club."

The torn cartilage in Bailey's knee means that Curry will move into the starting strong-side linebacker position that he held for the last 10 games of the 2002 season.

"Injuries are a part of football - now I've got to step up," he said. "I came to camp wanting to be a starter, and this isn't how I wanted it to happen, but now I've got a great opportunity."

Last year, his third in the league, he backed up Bailey and served as one of the team's better special-teams players.

"I don't mind having Donte in the starting lineup at all," Lions coach Steve Mariucci said Thursday. "Keep in mind that we're talking about a veteran who has been a starter in this league.

"My only concern is that with him starting on defense, we'll have to take him off of some of the special-teams units, and that's a blow for them."

Team president and general manager Matt Millen, an ex-linebacker himself, echoed Mariucci's confidence.

"I'm happy with our situation there," Millen said. "Donte is having a great camp - he's a better player than he was when he started for us two years ago. He's faster, stronger and he has a better understanding of what he's doing."

Curry thinks his experience has resulted in improvement. After a college career at little-known Morris Brown College, he went to the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent, then was signed off Green Bay's practice squad by the Washington Redskins.

Curry played eight games with the Redskins in 2001, then went to the Lions on waivers just before the 2002 season.

"I think the years that I've been in the league have made me a better player," he said. "I'm going to bring lots of energy, leadership, motivation - whatever they need. I just want to go out there and play ball."

August 12th, 2004, 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I like the confidence that he has in himself, and the confidence that Mariucci has in him succeeding. Hopefully he looks good Saturday and he can truly earn that starting spot.

August 12th, 2004, 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

Hopefully Curry will do great, and I think he will. If not, I still want McMahon to move to WSLB. :P

August 13th, 2004, 12:27 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

Hopefully Curry will do great, and I think he will. If not, I still want McMahon to move to WSLB. :P

LOL, use that athletic ability to his advantage!

August 13th, 2004, 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]