View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Snyder signs 200th bill into law, ends lawmaker lifetime HC 
Post Snyder signs 200th bill into law, ends lawmaker lifetime HC
Quote:
Snyder signs 200th bill into law, ends lawmaker lifetime health care benefits

Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2011
LANSING, Mich. - Gov. Rick Snyder today signed legislation that will end retiree health care benefits for most current and all future lawmakers, a reform the governor called long overdue.

"This is an exceedingly generous benefit that is clearly out-of-step with the private sector," Snyder said. "I want to thank both Republican and Democrat lawmakers for acting where previous Legislatures failed to eliminate this costly benefit."

Currently, lawmakers are eligible to receive retirement health care benefits starting at age 55 after putting in as few as six years of service to the state, a perk that is a constant source of frustration for the public.

House Bill 4087, sponsored by state Rep. Joel Johnson, eliminates the benefit for any lawmaker who is not already vested by Jan. 1, 2013. This means out of the 147 lawmakers currently serving, 97 will lose the benefit, as will all lawmakers elected in the future.

"Over time, this solution will eliminate a costly long-term liability to the state," Snyder said. "I especially want to thank freshman state Rep. Joel Johnson for leading by example."

The bill to end lawmaker retiree health care is now P.A. 200 of 2011.

And this is why we have $300 million left in the bank! He's doing a great job, and loads more than Jenny ever did. We wouldn't be in this mess with schools, finance, cuts, etc. if that b!tch wasn't hear for 8 years. Good job Rick! Keep up the good work.

October 18th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Snyder signs 200th bill into law, ends lawmaker lifetime
It's a start. Now, he has to do the same thing with all state and local government employees. Why should the taxpayers fund their health care? Let them go on Medicare like most other retirees.

October 18th, 2011, 4:54 pm
slybri19 wrote:
It's a start. Now, he has to do the same thing with all state and local government employees. Why should the taxpayers fund their health care? Let them go on Medicare like most other retirees.

Not only that, but paying their health care for life after 6 years of service is ridiculous. It's not like they put 30 years into it... Besides, with their salaries/pensions they should be able to afford their own health care when they retire.

October 18th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I ought to clarify something here since my above comment didn't sound quite right because Medicare is also funded by taxpayers. I should have stated that lawmakers/government employees shouldn't receive health care benefits superior to Medicare at taxpayer expense. If Medicare is good enough for us, it ought to be good enough for them, as well.

October 19th, 2011, 1:54 pm
slybri19 wrote:
I ought to clarify something here since my above comment didn't sound quite right because Medicare is also funded by taxpayers. I should have stated that lawmakers/government employees shouldn't receive health care benefits superior to Medicare at taxpayer expense. If Medicare is good enough for us, it ought to be good enough for them, as well.

I agree with that, unless they want to pay for it... I'm fine with the free market and people wanting to buy health insurance or "supplimental insurance," but to allow lawmakers to vote on Medicare/Medicade and not have them feel the consequences of their decisions as well is just plain stupid to me.

October 19th, 2011, 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]