View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 4 in a row 
Post Re: 4 in a row
Blueskies wrote:
I predicted 7 wins for Michigan this season, so they're already overachieving in my mind.

One thing I hate though is the dual QB stuff. Either use Denard and let him be Denard, or bench him and use Gardner. Don't switch them back and forth. It prevents the offense from getting into rhythm and makes the play calling more predictable.

I agree about switching Qb's. It seemed to disrupt Denard's rythm, and flow of the offense. I'm not saying that's why we lost, I just don't think it helped at all.

Denard shouldn't ever be off of the field. If they want to bring in Gardner for a play or a few plays a game, at least leave Denard on the field. He's always a great running threat, and he has a strong arm (it's just not very accurate due to his shotty footwork). I think that Gardner has the more accurate arm, but it's painfully obvious that he doesn't know how to read defenses/coverages and it gets him into a lot of trouble.

October 18th, 2011, 10:11 am
RIP Killer

I'm very happy that State continues to build their program and that Michigan looks to be on the rebound. That said, that game was so ugly to watch. I'm not talking about the penalties, I'm talking about those uniforms on both sides - ugh!

October 18th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

I really think that if Michigan had stuck with a RR-style spread option offense, they would still be undefeated. The work Mattison has done is amazing. Hats off to that man. But Borges has set the offense back.

October 18th, 2011, 11:45 pm
Team MVP

Im late on this one, but uh..

GO GREEN!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 19th, 2011, 2:09 pm
Blueskies wrote:
I really think that if Michigan had stuck with a RR-style spread option offense, they would still be undefeated. The work Mattison has done is amazing. Hats off to that man. But Borges has set the offense back.

I don't know if we would have beaten State if we used a spread (I think we would have scored more points though), but I do agree that our offense would be better with the spread than what it currently is. We allow the opposing team to stack the box and shut down our run, the spread opens that up for us, allowing us to pass. IMO we're not good enough to pass out of a pro-style offense, and it shows in Denard's #'s.

October 19th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Denard's a dynamic player, but come on, the guy can't pass. No matter what we're screwed until we can get a proper QB in here. The spread would just be a short term fix. Better to get everybody on board with the WCO for future campaigns.

October 19th, 2011, 11:48 pm
QB Coach

IF Denard makes it to the next level he will follow in the Randel El path of being a slot receiver. He's too explosive..... As for Michigan's future, they have to go through these to QB's to get the one Hoke wants, which someone posted a Youtube video of the High School Kid that has already committed.

@ Roy, Roy, Roy,: Dantonio was asked about the Michigan rivalry or something to that affect, and he said, "Do you really expect me to answer that." and left the reporter standing on the field. It just goes to show the distaste little brother has for the dominance of Big Brother till late.

It wasn't MSU that started or exposed Michigans weakness, it was BIG TEN play that exposed it. MSU had the benefit of being the first Big Ten team to play them, so don't wave that flag too proudly, MSU is just one of many strong schools that will have their way with Michigan for a little while.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 20th, 2011, 8:39 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
IF Denard makes it to the next level he will follow in the Randel El path of being a slot receiver. He's too explosive..... As for Michigan's future, they have to go through these to QB's to get the one Hoke wants, which someone posted a Youtube video of the High School Kid that has already committed.

@ Roy, Roy, Roy,: Dantonio was asked about the Michigan rivalry or something to that affect, and he said, "Do you really expect me to answer that." and left the reporter standing on the field. It just goes to show the distaste little brother has for the dominance of Big Brother till late.

It wasn't MSU that started or exposed Michigans weakness, it was BIG TEN play that exposed it. MSU had the benefit of being the first Big Ten team to play them, so don't wave that flag too proudly, MSU is just one of many strong schools that will have their way with Michigan for a little while.

Really, can't give MSU any credit at all can you - gesh.

October 20th, 2011, 9:27 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

after watching them lay an egg against ND, who they should have beat hands down, Cousins get more shifty then Scott Mitchell, and BARELY beat a beleaugered OSU team, only to watch them come out and play dominant against U of M; yeah not so much credit from me!

Why did it take the U of M game for them to wake up and play dominant?

State is just one of many Big Ten teams of dominance that will have their way with the Wolverines. Iowa, Illinois (if they play), Wisconsin, OSU will all have their way, Michigan just can't match up under the new system. Defense is better but not there yet!

State just seems like two teams, and I watch them every weekend, my wife is an alum, so I have to root for both if I know what's good for me :P I've been disappointed by the OL, the run game, and Cousins passing decisions. This past Saturday was the first time I saw them come out with FIRE in the belly, and for a team that wants to be great, they need that FIRE week in and week out. The Big Ten will get handled in the Bowl Games again, until they get rid of that disgusting spread offense crap, and go back to black and blue, bruising run oriented football. Michigan did very well against SEC teams when they abused the smaller players with their trench hogs.

The last five years we've been the "Wishigan" team, because we don't have the high caliber meat eating, road graders who will destroy the small D lines. But now I'm ranting so ciao!!!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 20th, 2011, 11:34 am
RIP Killer

So you are saying they played "dominant" against Michigan but still don't want to give them credit for that game based on performances in previous games. I get it now...

](*,)

October 20th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
WarEr4Christ wrote:

I don't know what you're smoking, but UofM played Minnisota and Northwestern before we played MSU. It wasn't Big10 play, MSU just had the best D that we faced yet this year, and exposed holes in our offense. IMO those holes could have been filled by switching schemes.

In the spread the other team has to respect the passing game. If you put 4 pass catchers on the field and spread them out it forces the opposing Ds to either put more defensive backs on the field, or to have Lbs cover receivers in space. It creates mismatches. From the spread, with the added Dbs on the field we're able to effectively run the ball and run the ball well. We're also able to scramble adequately, get WIDE open, and make EASY throws. From a prostyle offense teams can stack the box, shut down our running game, and Denard isn't a good enough Qb to pass his way out of it, hands down. He CAN throw (he actually has a REALLY strong arm), he's just not very accurate. From the spread he can find WIDE open receivers, from the prostyle offense he's forced to make quick reads and tough throws and he's not up to the challenge, at least not yet.

October 21st, 2011, 10:47 am
QB Coach

I'm here to eat some crow, so please pass the hot sauce and kool aid.

State appears to have decided to play this year starting with Michigan, and let's hope they can run the rest of the way. In the first half of the season I saw them play lazy, sloppy football, which led to my statements. They barely beat an OSU team, that they should have handled like a two dollar lady of the evening, when the sailors get to port. But they didn't play well at all!

Michigan put some fire in them, which leads to the animosity they harbor every year, and now it appears that they took care of a dominant Big 10 team. Glad to see it!

But this does lead me to a question:

Why is the Big 10 so weak as compared to the Bama, and LSU, and Oregon? These teams have been predominantly strong, especially Saban's (the traitor) Bama team. Do they draft better, or run a better scheme? I could only hope for the day that Michigan could run with those guys. The closest we ever got was Carr beating up on Tebow and Florida.

LSU, and Bama, both former Big Ten Coaches or ties to it, and they are blowing up the College world, meanwhile, the Big Ten looks well not near the same caliber. What gives?

October 24th, 2011, 12:14 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:

Takes a big man, that said we can serve up that crow fried or blackened - your choice.

MSU plays to the level of their opponent to some degree and didn't show much in the non-conference schedule as is usually the case. The Notre Dame game was just one of those games that wasn't as bad as the score looked. In fact, after watch MSU and UofM both play ND, MSU looked much better to me despite the outcomes.

As for the OSU game, State (the green and white version) really dominated that game despite the fact that they couldn't finish them off. That game wasn't that close.

I didn't see Michigan as a measuring stick game - that was Wisconsin and the Spartans almost let the Badgers back in the game despite again being the better team. Nebraska should be interesting.

State has an experienced quarterback, solid running game and strong defense - that should be plenty to give it a run in the Big Ten. As for the conference, we just don't have the same talent level as the SEC does. They have a better recruiting field to pull from and just better athletes.

October 24th, 2011, 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Pablo wrote:
As for the conference, we just don't have the same talent level as the SEC does. They have a better recruiting field to pull from and just better athletes.

I agree with this 100%. The SEC has been the dominant conference in football for the past, well, at least since the BCS was formed. Look at the stats:

National Championship game appearances & wins
SEC: 7 appearances, 7 wins
Big 12: 7 appearances, 2 wins
ACC: 3 apearances, 1 win
Big East: 3 apearances, 1 win
Big Ten: 3 apearances, 1 win
Pac-12: 1 appearance (2 vacated), 0 wins (1 vacated)

BCS Bowl game appearances & wins:
SEC: 21 appearances, 15 wins
Big Ten: 23 appearances, 10 wins
Big 12: 18 appearances, 7 wins
Pac-12: 14 appearances, 9 wins
Big East: 13 appearances, 6 wins
ACC: 13 appearances, 2 wins

So, the SEC has more national championship appearances and wins, and 5 more BCS bowl wins with 2 less appearances. That's pretty impressive.

In my opinion, if you are an elite high school football player, unless you grow up with a particular allegiance to a school or conference, you will go to an SEC school if you want to win a national championship. Hell, look at the past 5 National Champs: All SEC schools. That's right. 5 straight championships. And most weren't even close. Last year was a 3 pt. win. But prior to that, the margins of victory were 16, 10, 14, & 27 pts.

The SEC has flat out been the top conference in college football for a while, and I don't see that ending any time soon.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 24th, 2011, 4:51 pm
Hall of Fame Player

WarEr4Christ wrote:

State appears to have decided to play this year starting with Michigan, and let's hope they can run the rest of the way. In the first half of the season I saw them play lazy, sloppy football, which led to my statements. They barely beat an OSU team, that they should have handled like a two dollar lady of the evening, when the sailors get to port. But they didn't play well at all!

Michigan put some fire in them, which leads to the animosity they harbor every year, and now it appears that they took care of a dominant Big 10 team. Glad to see it!

But this does lead me to a question:

Why is the Big 10 so weak as compared to the Bama, and LSU, and Oregon? These teams have been predominantly strong, especially Saban's (the traitor) Bama team. Do they draft better, or run a better scheme? I could only hope for the day that Michigan could run with those guys. The closest we ever got was Carr beating up on Tebow and Florida.

LSU, and Bama, both former Big Ten Coaches or ties to it, and they are blowing up the College world, meanwhile, the Big Ten looks well not near the same caliber. What gives?

They are better because they have not been caught yet.

October 24th, 2011, 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2