View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Thoughts 
QB Coach

I agree that it is unlikely he would be cut, but his contract currently is only for a few more years, and maybe not now but down the line, he could be released if he continues his mediocre play that he had this season into next.

January 3rd, 2005, 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I would like to see someone like Dilfer or Garcia here to challenge/back-up Joey. They've both been in the WCO for awhile and should be a tremendous help to joey

January 3rd, 2005, 9:58 am
Site Admin

I guess I am excited and reserved about next year. Every year we say "we have no running game"..."no real recievers..." but we could not say that this year and yet we only won 1 more game over last year. I am still psyched about the young core we have going but the reality is that I did not see the running games development change our fortunes. In fact Kevin Jones came on after our 4-2 part of the season. So we only won 2 games when Kevin was running good. Anyways...the good thing is that these guys "should" get better. IF Charles can stay healthy and Jones developes we could be hawt stuff next season. I also tend to think Williams has been playing hurt cause he is not the same he was. A good offseason should take care of that though.

January 3rd, 2005, 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

One small problem with Garcia.....HE WANTS TO BE A STARTER!! He will not accept a back-up role. For all intents and purposes, he can also be a better quaterback in this system than Harrington. I also doubt that he will be released by Cleveland next year since they signed him to a 4 year deal last year.

Everything that I've read and heard sugests Garcia could very well be released. He and the Browns are reportedly unhappy with each other. I think I can remember reading the Browns could avoid a 4 million hit by releasing him, but I don't know what that would mean in the way of "dead money" and the overall cap situation.

As for him not taking a backup role - who knows? It remains to be seen if there's a team that would offer him a starting job out of hand. He has alot more going against him than he did a year ago. I would think the Lions could honestly tell Garcia that the starting job is open for competition in Detroit, and have him consider it. Who knows what will happen - it's just a thought. 8)
Quote:
I just had a thought, and it may be entirely off-base, but maybe this is a ploy by Joey's agent. He as well as Joey realizes that Detroit doesn't appreciate the way that he is progressing, and is afraid of him being released next year. Instead of that, he may get a contract extention out of all of this. It just sounds fishy that Joey is going to get a contract extention, while he is taking a slight paycut, he is getting a contract to keep him here longer. Thoughts?

Brian,
Makes sence to me. I don't know if anyone is being sneaky about it. The insentive for the Lions to restructure is obviously to get Harrington to a cap-healthy salary figure. The insentive for Harrington would be getting stronger job security. I'm sure his agent will be looking to get as much of that as he can, in exchange for the pay-cut they say they'll take.

January 4th, 2005, 4:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2