View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 2011 Injury Thread 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: 2011 Injury Thread
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
After 2 sterling drafts, I am starting to think that we may have swung and missed on him. ( I think he might have a bit of slothfulness in him.) But, it is far too early to give up on him.

It's way too early to pull that rabbit out of the hat. A 300 pound guy with a foot injury, and after having surgery, is not to be expected to be the same after just a few weeks. I had a foot injury in high school, weighed about half what Fairley does, didn't have surgery, and it took a good couple months before I could run without pain. It definitely affected pushing off, and even balance.

I'd give him about another two or three weeks before you can really start judging him too harshly. And even then it may be too early, depending on the extend of his original injury.

I did say that it was far too early. But, one of the pre-draft knocks on him was his every play effort not being very consistent.

October 28th, 2011, 9:15 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
Considering broken foot, Detroit Lions pleased with progress of Nick Fairley

ALLEN PARK — It took longer than Nick Fairley or the Detroit Lions wanted for the rookie defensive tackle to heal from a broken foot early in training camp. Then again, neither party wanted the injury to occur in the first place.

Fairley played in three straight games, beginning with Chicago on Monday Night Football, then tweaked the injured foot earlier in last Sunday's game against Atlanta, though he finished the game.

The Lions' first-round pick from this year's draft was held out of Wednesday's and Thursday's practices.

"He was on the injury report yesterday, so we'll see how much it is (an issue)," said head coach Jim Schwartz. "It's probably not going to be - I don't want to say off his radar until the end of the season - but it's going to be something he's going to have to manage, and we're going to have to manage.

"But like I said, even earlier in the game ... I thought he did some really effective things. He came close to his first career sack and I think he affected the game in his first 20, 25 snaps."

In three games, Fairley has registered just one tackle, but Schwartz said the 6-foot-4, 294-pounder has improved steadily while recovering from the injury.

"I think when you consider everything that's gone on, obviously we expected more, but you can't do anything about injuries and things like that" said Schwartz. "You just have to regroup and do the best you can based on those circumstances.

In terms of experience, the game against Denver would be equivalent to Fairley's fourth preseason game.

"So when you consider it that way - a rookie, improved each game and made some plays in each game - we're happy with the track he's on," Schwartz said.

October 28th, 2011, 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The Lions might be better off sitting Fairley against the Broncos. With the bye being the following week, that would give him two weeks to rest and recover. I'd hate to see them rush him back and possibly lose him for the season.

October 28th, 2011, 10:55 am

Here's an update on the injuries:
Detroit Free Press wrote:
Lions QB Matthew Stafford practices for third time, appears ready to play
4:25 PM, Oct. 28, 2011 | BY DAVE BIRKETT

Matthew Stafford was listed as questionable on the Detroit Lions’ official injury report today, but the expectation is that he will play Sunday against the Denver Broncos.

Stafford took part in a full practice today for the first time since spraining his right ankle on the Lions’ final offensive play of last weekend’s loss to the Atlanta Falcons. He had been limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz declined to name a starter today but acknowledged that Stafford was feeling “better today than he was yesterday and, hopefully, we can keep him on that track till Sunday.”

“A lot of things can happen between now and Sunday,” Schwartz said. “I’ve learned not to make decisions on Fridays. Good and bad things have happened on Fridays or Saturdays.”

The Lions likely will be without rookie defensive tackle Nick Fairley because of a flare-up of his surgically repaired left foot. Fairley was in a walking boot today and is officially listed as doubtful.

Wide receiver Rashied Davis (foot) and safety Vince Fuller (forearm) also are doubtful, and defensive tackle Sammie Hill (ankle) is questionable but expected to play.

Stafford was the only quarterback going through skeleton passing drills during the 30-minute period of practice open to the media today.

Backup Shaun Hill took first-team reps Wednesday, before giving way to Stafford on Thursday.

Running back Jahvid Best (concussion) did not practice, while guard Rob Sims (illness) returned after sitting out Thursday.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111028/SPORTS01/111028034/Lions-Stafford-practices-third-time-Fairley-likely-out

October 28th, 2011, 4:45 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
The Lions likely will be without rookie defensive tackle Nick Fairley because of a flare-up of his surgically repaired left foot. Fairley was in a walking boot today and is officially listed as doubtful.

I really wish they would have put Fairley on the shelf until after the bye week to start with. He is limited with this injury and risking further injury, what was the rush? Back in a walking boot, ugh!

I'm starting to think we are not going to see Fairley at full strength until 2012...

October 28th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

I really wish they would have put Fairley on the shelf until after the bye week to start with. He is limited with this injury and risking further injury, what was the rush? Back in a walking boot, ugh!

I'm starting to think we are not going to see Fairley at full strength until 2012...

That, and we were undefeated until we tried to rush him into the lineup. I think it may have disrupted our defensive mojo.

October 28th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

He hasn't disrupted anything. Even if he goes statless, he's given a breather to Suh and Williams. The defense has been playing solid. They're all saying we got run all over by Atlanta, but half of Turner's runs were on one play. Same with Gore. He had 2 big runs, the rest of the time he was contained and didn't hurt us. Poor tackling on those few occasions can't be blamed on Fairley.

Our offense has lost its way. 16TD's first 5 weeks. 3 in the last 2. That's the problem. But even though its a problem, we lost by 6 and 7. Even getting back to average on offense and we'd be fine.

October 28th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
He hasn't disrupted anything. Even if he goes statless, he's given a breather to Suh and Williams. The defense has been playing solid. They're all saying we got run all over by Atlanta, but half of Turner's runs were on one play. Same with Gore. He had 2 big runs, the rest of the time he was contained and didn't hurt us. Poor tackling on those few occasions can't be blamed on Fairley.

Our offense has lost its way. 16TD's first 5 weeks. 3 in the last 2. That's the problem. But even though its a problem, we lost by 6 and 7. Even getting back to average on offense and we'd be fine.

I feel the same way. Kinda wish this week was the bye week, but glad its at least next week.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Jason Hanson might not be available Sunday
ESPN.com wrote:
Nov 9, 2:25 PM ET
By Kevin Seifert

Lions-Bears II: Jason Hanson's status

Here's an interesting twist as we start looking at Sunday's rematch between the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears: Lions place-kicker Jason Hanson might not be available.

Hanson didn't kick in practice Wednesday because he had stitches in his knee, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. Hanson had no known injuries in the Lions' Week 8 game at the Denver Broncos, so it's not clear if there was an injury during the bye week or if some other ailment developed. But the Lions are concerned enough about his status that they worked out two free-agent place-kickers Wednesday.

Dave Rayner, who filled in for an injured Hanson in 2010 but lost in a training camp competition this summer, signed this week with the Buffalo Bills.

Hanson is having a near-perfect year in his 20th NFL season, converting 17 of 18 field-goal attempts -- including four of 50-plus yards. He's also managed 26 touchbacks among his 51 kickoffs. We won't get too worried about his status with half the work week remaining, but Hanson is a significant weapon and could figure prominently in a close divisional game.

This isn't good!!

November 9th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Jason Fox to IR. He has same injury as college, just other knee now. Opting to have surgery now so he can be back by OTA's. Happened last week, but he's been battling through it according to Dave Birkett.

November 11th, 2011, 2:24 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Jason Fox to IR. He has same injury as college, just other knee now. Opting to have surgery now so he can be back by OTA's. Happened last week, but he's been battling through it according to Dave Birkett.

I'm about done with Fox at this point. I hope he can come back and finally contribute but have about zero faith in him...

As for Hanson, I've heard we had to sign a backup punter as our rookie hurt his leg filling in for Hanson this week practicing field goals. Ugh. We can't afford to be weak in the kicking game against Hester and the Bears.

November 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Hester hurt his ankle in the 4th quarter and hopped off the field. Barely put any weight on it after the game

November 11th, 2011, 9:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
njroar wrote:

I'm about done with Fox at this point. I hope he can come back and finally contribute but have about zero faith in him...

Look at it this way: he probably wasn't going to play a significant role these past two years anyways.

November 12th, 2011, 9:25 am

I agree with Pablo about Jason Fox. I had high hopes for the kid when he was drafted as the LT of the future, but that looks doubtful now. If you count his final year at Miami, he's been injured for three years now. At some point, you just have to cut your losses and go in a different direction.

November 12th, 2011, 12:44 pm
RIP Killer

CJ passed his concussion test today, he is good to go...

November 15th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next