View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Tigers offseason 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Tigers offseason
Just because there is some time as the regular season winds down - what do you guys think the Tigers will do in the offseason? They have some needs at 2B, 3B and No 5 SP. The bullpen seems to have come together but another arm could fit in.

Starting Pitching:
1 SP Verlander 20-8, 2.75ERA/1.20 WHIP 230 IP/240 Ks
2 SP Fister 17-6 3.01 ERA/1.20 WHIP 225 IP/145 Ks
3 SP Scherzer 13-15 4.55 ERA/1.30 WHIP 200 IP/165 Ks
4 SP Porcello 16-12 4.01 ERA/1.28 WHIP 200 IP/120 Ks
#5 - here is the opening, will the Tigers let the youngsters Turner, Smyly, Oliver maybe even Below and Wilk battle it out for the 5th spot or will they look for a low end No 5 starter in free agency, maybe a left hander? Any chance Penny survives and gets an offer?

I think we may bring in a lefty but that ultimately Turner will be pitching out of the 5 spot by season's end. I just dont think it hurts him to pitch some more in the minors.

Bullpen:
RP Pauley
RP Perry
LP Schlereth
RP Albuquerque
LP Coke
RP Benoit
CP Valverde

The wildcard as always will be Joel Zumaya who has resumed throwing but will be a free agent, if we could get a positive sign from him it may lessen the need to fork over big money to Valverde after 2012 or perhaps Albuquerque will continue to be lights out and project as a closer. Luis Marte is also a projectable back end arm and Perry and Schlereth have been improving. The only open spot seems to be the long relief spot where Below has been pretty good, I could see Wilk giving him a run. David Purcey and David Pauley also will have a shot at that spot as well. I dont think we will making any signings in the pen.

Outfield: LF Delmon Young, CF Austin Jackson, RF Brennan Boesch, #4 Andy Dirks
All of a sudden we have a complete young outfield that is filled with talent. Boesch should recover fully from thumb surgery and Dirks is a good fit as a 4th outfielder. Don Kelly and Brandon Inge may also play in the OF some. I expect Young to be re signed, the others are under contract. Unlikely to see a trade or FA signing.

Catcher: Avila may be the best all around catcher in baseball but he needs a backup. He hits so well would they consider moving him to the infield some more ie as they attempted for interleague and what they may have to do if we get to the world series? Martinez will likely be able to catch some games but with Brandon Inge under contract for next season and not reliable to be an everyday starter at 3B, I think Inge will be the man to give Avila a break. Inge also needs to do this to help extend his career which will likely be outside of Detroit after 2012. Good backup catchers with experience can last a few years.

DH: Victor Martinez, may be better off minimizing his catching duties ASAP.

Infield: 2 major holes here in the infield. 2B. Carlos Guillen isnt the answer and is also expensive, he will not be back. Raburn has come around with the bat and has improved in the field but I doubt we will want to put up with his 1st half Mendoza act again. Santiago has been huge down the stretch but they seem to prefer him as a defensive sub and 1-2 game per week starter to keep him effective. Will Rhymes has been given a couple chances and is a longshot, Danny Worth didnt hit enough in AAA to project him as anything more than a reserve. So that leaves free agency, a trade or a platoon of Raburn/Santiago. The problem is that we have the same situation at 3B where Betemit can hit but not field and Inge can field but cant hit though Betemit has fielded better recently and Inge has hit more recently. I think there will be a platoon at either 2b or 3b but not both. I expect a big trade to bring in more of an all around player at 3B, the Mets are looking to dump payroll and David Wright is in the last year of his contract. I think DD wants him. We chased Aramis Ramirez at the trade deadline and he didnt want to come so Im not sure that situation would change. At 2b, the impact of the available bats seems to be less. Money wise Wright will cost a lot but for that reason may not cost a ton in prospect exchange though DD seems to be aggressive. I took a look at the potentially available 2b and the best one I saw seemed to be Omar Infante who is good but again not much of an impact.

1B Cabrera/Kelly, 2B Raburn/Santiago, 3B Wright/Inge, SS Peralta/Santiago

Lineup:
1. Austin Jackson CF 270 avg/ 12 hr/55 rbi/30 sb
2. Brennan Boesch RF 280 avg/25 hr/75 rbi/10 sb
3. David Wright 3B 290 avg/15 hr/85 rbi/10 sb
4. Miguel Cabrera 1B 330 avg/30 hr/110 rbi
5. Victor Martinez DH 310 avg/15 hr/110 rbi
6. Delmon Young LF 280 avg/15 hr/80 rbi
7. Alex Avila C 265 avg/20 hr/75 rbi
8. Jonny Peralta SS 270 avg/20 hr/75 rbi
9. Ryan Raburn 2b 255 avg/15 hr/60 rbi
UT Santiago 2b/ss 250 abs/260 avg/6 hr/30 rbi/5 sb
UT Inge 3b/c/of 200 abs/220 avg/ 8 hr/20 rbi
OF Dirks of 250 abs/260 avg/8 hr/30 rbi/5 sb
UT Kelly 1b/OF/3B 200 abs/250 avg/7 hr/30 rbi

Wright and Young could potentially be flipped in the above lineup as Wright strikes out more.

2012 Projection: 95-67, 1st in AL central. Full year of Fister and another year of improvement from Scherzer, Porcello. Turner will do just as well as Penny did in 5 spot. Valverde wont be as good but the setup men will be better earlier in the season. Exciting time for baseball and football in Detroit.

September 20th, 2011, 10:18 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Tigers offseason
Rumor has if that a deal is in the works with the Tigs and the Braves.

Delmon Young for 2B Martin Prado.

Prado plays 2nd, 3rd and LF. Hate to see Young go, but it's what we need to do....well. Maybe we could send them a couple players and be able to keep
Delmon.

November 16th, 2011, 1:06 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Tigers offseason
im in favor of that trade young-prado but we will probably have to include another player in the deal. prado would project most likely to 2b and the No 2 spot in the batting order. That would allow us to pursue a LF perhaps a player w speed and a solid glove that could lead off at times and maybe platoon w Raburn

November 20th, 2011, 5:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]