View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Can we start to call Verlander...... 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Can we start to call Verlander......
A step in the right direction towards MVP, JV named POY by his peers via The Sporting News:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/10/28/ ... -the-year/

October 28th, 2011, 1:53 pm
League MVP

im not sure when the mvp votes went in but im my eyes i dont think he deserves it anymore, of course im taking into account the postseason and he regressed back to his 2009-2010 level of play

October 29th, 2011, 12:04 pm
Team MVP

When do they announce Cy Young and MVP?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 29th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

As expected, by a landslide no less:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72383 ... l-cy-young

Congrats to JV for a great year, now lets go get that MVP award, which I believe he still has a good shot at.

November 15th, 2011, 3:24 pm
League MVP

thats great! we cant take these seasons for granted, he may never be that good again

November 16th, 2011, 12:09 am
Varsity Captain

Unanimous!!!!!

November 16th, 2011, 12:57 am
League MVP

MVP

November 21st, 2011, 3:03 pm
League MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Cy Young is wrapped up at this point. He still has a very good shot at the pitching triple crown as he is currently 1st in all three categories. But with that said he has a 0 percent chance at the MVP award.

I'm rooting for Grandy to win it. He was my favorite Tiger and even as a Yankee I can't find anything to dislike about the guy.

good call

November 21st, 2011, 3:05 pm
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
Cy Young is wrapped up at this point. He still has a very good shot at the pitching triple crown as he is currently 1st in all three categories. But with that said he has a 0 percent chance at the MVP award.

I'm rooting for Grandy to win it. He was my favorite Tiger and even as a Yankee I can't find anything to dislike about the guy.

good call

In the end I'm glad for him, I still typically don't think a pitcher should win the MVP award, but in this case he does deserve it. In was alot closer than the Cy Young, 280 points for Verlander next closes 242 for Jacoby Ellsbury. I think if the Sox made the playoffs Ellsbury would have won it.

Hindsight is 20/20.

November 21st, 2011, 3:30 pm
League MVP

hindsight is 20/20, the point is we were telling you he could win it BEFORE!!!! dont play that line when it doesnt apply...

redsox fade no doubt played a role, the votes went in within 24 hours of last game of reg season when sox collapsed.

also cabrera finished 5th, avila 12th and vmart 17th

November 21st, 2011, 3:54 pm
RIP Killer

I don't get the logic that Pitchers shouldn't win the award - could someone explain the concept to me? It is Most "Valuable" Player, not most played player. Value equates to impact on teams performance, and pitchers are like QBs in football - their impact is much greater than a positional player.

Now, I get the fact that a positional player plays every day but Verlander faced 300 more batters than Ellsbury had plate appearances. That is over 300 more opportunities to impact the game.

Speaking of impact, what would be worse? The Tigers losing Verlander for the season or the Red Sox losing Ellsbury? Isn't that another way to determine value?

Quite frankly, I think baseball has this MVP totally backwards - I gotta believe pitchers are far more frequently the most valuable player on their teams than any given positional player.

Then again, I'm not a baseball fan so forgive my ignorance if I am wrong.

Congrats Justin!

November 21st, 2011, 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

I was talking about my hindsight not yours.

Pablo, many voters feel that since pitchers already have an award to themselves they shouldn't be eligable, which is why I figured Verlander had no chance in winning the award. Also Pitchers only play in a 5th of the games in a season, so you can't really say they are more valuable than an every day player. What would have been worse losing Cabby for 3 months (~80 starts) or losing Verlander 3 months (~12 starts).

November 21st, 2011, 6:18 pm
RIP Killer

aManNamedSuh wrote:

Pablo, many voters feel that since pitchers already have an award to themselves they shouldn't be eligable, which is why I figured Verlander had no chance in winning the award. Also Pitchers only play in a 5th of the games in a season, so you can't really say they are more valuable than an every day player. What would have been worse losing Cabby for 3 months (~80 starts) or losing Verlander 3 months (~12 starts).

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Don't positional players have Golden Glove and Silver Slugger awards to win?

I think losing Verlander would have been worse, the Tigers won over 70% of the games that Verlander started but only 58.6% of the games Cabrera started (including Verlander starts). I think this club feed of their ace, but that is just me.

November 21st, 2011, 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Pablo wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Don't positional players have Golden Glove and Silver Slugger awards to win?

I think losing Verlander would have been worse, the Tigers won over 70% of the games that Verlander started but only 58.6% of the games Cabrera started (including Verlander starts). I think this club feed of their ace, but that is just me.

Golden Glove and Silver Slugger are given per position. MVP is for one player only. Huge difference.

Without Cabrera I don't think we would have made the playoffs, I would suggest that we still would have made the playoffs without Verlander.

November 21st, 2011, 9:10 pm
Heisman Winner

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Pablo wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

Golden Glove and Silver Slugger are given per position. MVP is for one player only. Huge difference.

Without Cabrera I don't think we would have made the playoffs, I would suggest that we still would have made the playoffs without Verlander.

Let me back off this comment alittle, I think it would have been a much closer race if we lost Verlander as opposed to Cabrera.

November 21st, 2011, 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next