View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 2011 Wolverines 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2011 Wolverines
OSU is very beatable - GO BLUE!

As for the QB switching costing you 2 games - really? You think they would have won against MSU even with Denard (9-24 passing) in the whole game? Let's also not forget State outrushed UofM 213-82 with Denard averaging a whopping 2.3 ypc.

WOW, UofM would be in the National Championship game in your fantasy world...

November 22nd, 2011, 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

WarEr4Christ wrote:
So it's come down to this, the OSU game, and for once I think we match up pretty well. Our defense is impressing me more and more as they learn their roles from game to game. I believe next year, the Wolverines, will be even stronger Defensively. Offensively, I am struggling with Borgess doing the flip flop on the QB, it's totally throwing off the rhythm of the team and cost us two games. Stick with the horse you got, and don't try to change him.

So does anyone else things Michigan has a chance at getting this monkey off their back?

Unfortunately, we will never be able to get the losing streak to Tressell off our backs. Tressell is gone. Hopefully, though, we can start a new winning streak against whoever is the Bucknuts HC/interim HC.

November 22nd, 2011, 5:22 pm
QB Coach

@ Pablo: Haha, you caught me, I'm guilty as charged, I totally whiffed on the MSU loss. Nothing short of a MIRACLE would have saved the Wolverines that day!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 22nd, 2011, 6:47 pm
Junior Varsity

Pablo wrote:
OSU is very beatable - GO BLUE!

As for the QB switching costing you 2 games - really? You think they would have won against MSU even with Denard (9-24 passing) in the whole game? Let's also not forget State outrushed UofM 213-82 with Denard averaging a whopping 2.3 ypc.

WOW, UofM would be in the National Championship game in your fantasy world...

What's amazing to me is that Sparty let us stay in that game well into the 4th quarter, although thoroughly beating us up on both lines all day (and that lateral should have been called a lateral/fumble, which would have given us even more of a chance, but it's sour grapes, I know..). I'd be willing to call the flip-flopping as one of the big problems against Iowa, though. Nice that we were in the two games we lost, but we could have lost a couple that we won, too. All in all, a pretty good example of what coaching can do--looking forward to the good recruiting that's going on meeting the coaching.

And yes, down with OSU. Our best (first?) chance since 2006, and unless we piss the bed, we should get the win.

November 22nd, 2011, 10:42 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The Michigan defense has been much improved over the past few weeks, and the offense is always capable of putting up points. The Bucknuts have been awful this season, so the streak should finally come to an end.

GO BLUE!

November 23rd, 2011, 11:35 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

WooHoo!!! Michigan finally beat Ohio State after 7 long years. I thought the defense was going to choke the game away in the 2nd half, but they came up with a big pick to seal the game at the end. Take that steensn! :D

November 26th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

STREEN!!!!!! :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

November 26th, 2011, 11:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Solid season. Well done, Coach Hoke. Now get some more talented kids in the mix.

November 30th, 2011, 4:11 pm
Blake Countess looks like a player. I think dropping JT Floyd for Countess with one more year under his belt will be a HUGE upgrade. William Campbell is playing better. I don't think he's going to fill Martin's role, but he'll be decent next year. Our LBs will also be better next year as well. We're starting a kid whose next best offer was for Central or Eastern.

We have a TON of talent coming back, and Denard should be better next year, as well as Gardner. I'm excited to see what next season brings.

November 30th, 2011, 4:14 pm
QB Coach

By Mark Snyder

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Filed Under
Sports
Michigan Wolverines
Buy Michigan Wolverines Tickets First season

Brady Hoke is the second U-M coach to win at least 10 games in his first year. (Fielding Yost was the first.) How the last three coaches fared:

Rich Rodriguez

3-9

Lloyd Carr

9-4

Gary Moeller

9-3

More
NEW ORLEANS -- Troy Woolfolk is naturally skeptical.

He has good reason to be, considering what he has endured during his five years as a Wolverine.

So his expectations weren't high when he was introduced to Michigan's new coach, Brady Hoke -- the third in his five-year career -- in January.

"It's really hard for me to connect with coaches, because in the past I've lost contact because they leave all the time," Woolfolk said this past week, leading up to Tuesday's Sugar Bow against Virginia Tech. "But I've built a relationship with Coach Hoke because I believe he's a sincere, genuine guy.

"That's most important thing for me. You can be a good coach, but I like to see that you're a good person, and I believe he is, so I try to reach out to him."

Woolfolk doesn't have a flashpoint moment that convinced him of Hoke's sincerity.

The daily interactions between Hoke and his teammates over the season have sold him.

"He's been that person every day, and it hasn't changed," Woolfolk said. "I never thought he could earn my trust in a year, and he did that. He's a great coach."

Players embrace Hoke's message
NEW ORLEANS -- From the moment Brady Hoke arrived in Ann Arbor, whether by design or nature, he has focused on preaching the same message day after day.

It emerges in different forms -- one of the favorites is "keep the main thing the main thing" -- but often has the same pattern, the same method.

His opening discussion with his team every day has become such a mantra -- the greeting (hello), the team number (132), the Big Ten titles (42) and the primary rival (Ohio) -- that the assembled fans at the U-M Bust last month were able to repeat it as if they had spent every day in that meeting room themselves.

His special focus on the team's seniors from Day 1 is the tie that binds this team. Many coaches speak about trusting their seniors, but Hoke has done it, with leadership meetings in the spring and summer and the simple act of deplaning at Louis Armstrong International Airport on Wednesday and allowing captains Kevin Koger and Mike Martin to walk down the ramp before him.

No ego, no problem.

"It's all about ownership," said Koger, citing little things -- such as seniors picking up dirty towels left in the locker room and keeping it a valuable space.

Leaning on the 23 seniors, giving them more and more rope to lead the team as the season progressed, is what has endeared Hoke most to the players.

Hoke told them often this was their team, not his, it was their season, not his, and the results would emerge based on their leadership and their determination.

Transitions between coaching jobs are never easy -- that's abundantly clear in Ann Arbor -- and Hoke tried to avoid the pitfalls.

That's why, when asked this week about how long it took the players to buy into him, coming from San Diego State, he gave the quintessential Hoke answer.

"I think the players bought into each other," he said. "I don't like that (term) 'buy in' that much, but I thought they bought into each other and respected those seniors and the examples those guys showed and made during January and February and spring ball and summer. The other thing is, they bought into (that) it's Michigan and the expectation for football at Michigan, going to class at Michigan and all those things.

"Is it different at San Diego? Yeah, there's a beach 4 minutes from my house, so there's a difference there. But it's all about those kids, those 115 kids and that's the only thing we think about."

His focus on the team number (132) reminded his players of the program's history. His focus on the steadiest part of the game -- technique and fundamentals -- reminded them that little things can make a big difference.

The reason he was the perfect coach for this particular team? Everyone in and around Schembechler Hall had become so used to inconsistency in recent years, that wild swings became the norm, and settling the dust was enough for stunning progress.

Before games, at halftimes, Hoke never lit the fuse in the locker room nor attempted to gather his players into a frenzy before they hit the field. His approach was more about how their preparation -- "he was like, you've done the work before, now let's go out and play," junior defensive lineman Craig Roh said -- put the team in position to win.

There were fewer crisis moments to go crazy about in a 10-2 regular season, but Hoke's steadiness might have helped guide the team to that record.

For Hoke, who only recruited a few of the current players and almost none of those impacting this season, this year was about building relationships. He was careful not to force any, yet open enough that when a situation arose, he was able to handle it delicately, reaching everyone in a different way.

Starting senior offensive lineman Mark Huyge discovered that when his fiancée's grandfather died and Hoke let him go to the funeral, even though it meant being late to a team meeting.

"Intense yet approachable," Huyge said. "If you have an issue, you can go talk to him."

Roh talked about Hoke's ability to hold the attention of a room as a riveting speaker and noted that the team's daily improvement built on itself, to the point that the Wolverines are still improving entering the Sugar Bowl.

Senior David Molk said the first-year coaching staff jelled like a far more experienced group, speculating that Hoke hiring "like-minded" assistants smoothed that connection.

Troy Woolfolk's U-M career was rockier than he ever could have imagined five years ago. He had four defensive coordinators in five years, worked his way into the lineup as an underclassman and was primed to lead the defense, then suffered a broken leg and missed missing his would-be senior year. This season he suffered injuries and moved from cornerback to safety, a spot where he is still battling to play even entering this final game.

He has every reason to be bitter, disenchanted and selfish.

But, primarily because of Hoke, Woolfolk pushed all that aside and became the senior leader he hoped to be.

"It's not about me playing for me, it's about going out there to make him happy," Woolfolk said of Hoke. "Because when you care about somebody, that's how it works."

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 1st, 2012, 11:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4