View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 SHAUN ROGERS RE-SIGNED!!! 
QB Coach

Post SHAUN ROGERS RE-SIGNED!!!
Six years, $46 million for dominating lineman

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

On the eve of their final game, the Detroit Lions made a major move toward next season and the future by reaching a six-year, $46 million contract extension with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers that included a $15 million signing bonus.

Since being drafted in the second round of the 2001 draft, Rogers has been one of the most dominating interior linemen in the league. He earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl this season, his fourth with the team, but that isn't the only respect he has gained.

Rogers has been double-teamed so much by opposing blockers that it has enabled the other defensive linemen to be at the top of the sack lists as a unit. Defensive end James Hall, for example, is among the sack leaders with 11? because he has been getting single blocking.

The Rogers deal was completed Saturday. His agents, Kennard McGuire and Fletcher Smith of CSMG, declined comment about the contract.

The deal, which will run through 2010, makes Rogers the highest-paid defensive tackle in football. It tops the $6 million a year deal signed by Warren Sapp in Tampa Bay before he left for the Raiders. Anthony McFarland of the Bucs signed a six-year, $31.25 million deal, and Kris Jenkins of the Panthers signed for roughly the same.

Rogers earned the ability to make the big dollars by proving he had durability and dominance despite a foot problem that scared away many teams from drafting him.

Rogers becomes the third Lion to re-sign this week. Detroit also reached agreements with punter Nick Harris and linebacker Donte Curry.

Had the Lions not reached an agreement with Rogers, there was a good chance they would have slapped him with the franchise tag.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I have to say is...

YEAH!

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

January 1st, 2005, 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

The best thing they could do was to sign him now instead of waiting to see what free agency would cost them.

January 1st, 2005, 9:56 pm
RIP Killer

Great move, lock up your best defensive player through 2010. I'm going to enjoy watching srog play the next 5 years. Now only if we can see some of crog as well - hummm.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

LIONS 2005???

January 2nd, 2005, 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The sign of a true lions fan "there is always be next year"

January 2nd, 2005, 1:16 pm
All State

that news is as big as rogers 345 lb frame. good job lions. nice start to the new year. :idea:

January 2nd, 2005, 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

:idea: :arrow:

January 3rd, 2005, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

Hey, I just thought about something here. Given the timing of this signing, it was announced on the first but signed either the 30th or 31st of December - that should mean a portion of his bonus impacted the 2004 salary cap. This would have been a very smart move on the Lions part. Can anyone confirm if part of the bonus will hit the 04 cap?

January 3rd, 2005, 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

brilliant! When I first heard this over the weekend I was elated. THe whole Franchise tag deal would have bugged me to no end.

But back to Pablo's point, that indeed sounds like a heck of a move, if they were able to spread the salary or bonus or whatever so that some of it is applied to the 2004 year. Even more impressive, is how they kept it under the radar so no other team could convince him to do otherwise... even if that may be tampering. I mean no one saw this signing coming. Great move.

I can't wait for Free Agency and the Draft to come so we can fill in the final holes.

January 3rd, 2005, 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]