View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Grade Stafford's performance for the year 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Grade Stafford's performance for the year
Quote:
STELLAR? Really?! Did you watch the first half of the Dallas game? You wanna sit there and tell me he was stellar then? He was missing wide open receivers all over the place. Yes, he came back in the second half, settled down, got into his rythym and led the team back. It wasn't his fault that against Dallas and Minnesota the team fell behind by the number of points they did. But he certainly wasn't helping matters with his errant throwing in the first half of that Dallas game.

Sorry, Blueskies, but if you watch the first three or four games of this season, and how Stafford was playing then, and compare them with the last three or four games, you'll see a huge difference. In those first few games, he never took his eyes off the patterns downfield. He maintained his composure under pressure, was getting rid of the ball quickly, and only moved as much as he needed to to avoid pressure. He was setting his feet before he was throwing and stepping into the throws he needed to zip. He isn't doing that consistently now.

Is that all Stafford's fault? No. I have said, numerous times, that the offensive line hasn't done him any favors. But his mental struggles are apparent. I have made the statement that the offensive line isn't playing any worse now than they were at the beginning of the season, and I stand by that. The difference is with Stafford.

And, just an FYI Blueskies....I'm not the only one making that statement in this forum.

I was exaggerating to prove a point. If you remove the 4 picks from the Bears game, Stafford has a TD/INT ratio right up there with the greats. So, I do not think his performance in any game this season (outside of last weekend) was anything less than average.

As for last weekend, Pat Caputo on the radio put it best. He said, when everything was collapsing around him, Stafford allowed himself to collapse mentally. Clearly, this is a fault--he should be a leader and stay focused even in times of distress. But, I'll give the guy a pass--even the best have an off day here or there.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is that this team is built on Stafford to Johnson. Something I've been saying for a while. Not Suh and KVB, but Stafford throwing the ball to 81. When those guys are hooking up, the Lions will win. When they aren't, the Lions will lose. This makes it look like the losses are the fault of Stafford/the passing game, but in reality, if you removed Stafford and Johnson from the starting lineup, the Lions would struggle to win 3 games all season.

November 18th, 2011, 3:34 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
As for last weekend, Pat Caputo on the radio put it best. He said, when everything was collapsing around him, Stafford allowed himself to collapse mentally. Clearly, this is a fault--he should be a leader and stay focused even in times of distress. But, I'll give the guy a pass--even the best have an off day here or there.

That's my point Blueskies. Yes, statistically Stafford is STILL having a very, very good season. He's among the league leaders in TDs thrown. But, it is obvious that his confidence is NOT what it was at the beginning of the season. The truly great QBs, regardless of their statistics, don't let themselves get that rattled. And MOST of them don't have a receiver like Johnson that they can fall back on.

Blueskies wrote:
Ultimately, what it comes down to is that this team is built on Stafford to Johnson. Something I've been saying for a while. Not Suh and KVB, but Stafford throwing the ball to 81. When those guys are hooking up, the Lions will win. When they aren't, the Lions will lose. This makes it look like the losses are the fault of Stafford/the passing game, but in reality, if you removed Stafford and Johnson from the starting lineup, the Lions would struggle to win 3 games all season.

It all depends on who you replace them with. Take Suh and KVB out of the defense and it won't be so bad because of the incredible depth the Lions have built along the defensive line. However, the Lions don't have anybody else on the roster like CJ, and Hill and Stanton are different kinds of QBs. So, based on our current roster I would say that taking Stafford AND CJ out would be disastrous. But that's an unfair statement....that would happen to most every team in the NFL. Look what's happened in Indianapolis with just Peyton taken out of the equation. Take Aaron Rogers out of Green Bay, and they become a very beatable team.

Last season the team won 6 games basically without Stafford. And that was with a defense that wasn't nearly as good as the one we have now, and with us switching between our second and third QBs as starters. It is obvious the Lions are better offensively with Stafford playing. They'd be even better if he wasn't playing scared.

November 19th, 2011, 11:44 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

interesting that this thread stops after stafford tosses 5 tds, lets hear what alaska jack has to say

November 22nd, 2011, 6:52 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
interesting that this thread stops after stafford tosses 5 tds, lets hear what alaska jack has to say

He also started the game off with two picks. Yes, he played a tremendous game after that. And it seemed like as the game went on his confidence was ever increasing. That's a good thing.

Nobody said Stafford sucked, or wasn't the franchise QB. The only thing that was being said is that he seems like he was not doing the same things lately that he was doing at the beginning of the season. Throwing off his back foot, breaking out of the pocket early, throwing sidearm, missing open receivers.......these are all things he was starting to do more and more. That's not what the "elite" quarterbacks do if they don't have to. Stafford easily has the skills to become an elite NFL QB. EASILY. But there are some other mental issues he needs/needed to clear up. Hopefully that was taken care of against Carolina. But we thought he played really well against Denver and had that taken care of, and then he played poorly against Chicago.

Is it so hard to understand that some of us feel that Stafford is still inconsistent in some ways....game to game, half to half, quarter to quarter, drive to drive? I don't expect him to be perfect, but I still think he can be better if he overcomes some mental issues.

November 23rd, 2011, 12:04 pm

His talent is top notch, but his accuracy and decision making are streaky.

I don't think the first pick was really his fault--it was a just very good defensive play. The second pick was definitely a bad read. From there, he was playing scared, holding onto the ball as if he was deathly afraid of throwing another pick.

But then, something happened, and seemed to get better/sharper on every pass right up until the end of the game.

Ultimately, however, the dude is very young (especially for a QB) and I still think he can be up there with the real greats in a few years.

November 23rd, 2011, 9:11 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

In the effort of being fair I will chime in again on his performance. Keep in mind that I hadn't posted anything about it until week 9 in the first place. He started the game looking like he had when he finished the previous but he got it together and looked great. I hope he can start this week like he finished last week but we'll find out for sure in the morning.

November 23rd, 2011, 10:51 pm

m2k

Quote:
Is it so hard to understand that some of us feel that Stafford is still inconsistent in some ways....game to game, half to half, quarter to quarter, drive to drive? I don't expect him to be perfect, but I still think he can be better if he overcomes some mental issues.

not at all, i agree, but i wasnt talking to you and he is 23 yrs old and of course will get better. but stop for a second and think about that - he can get better than what he is which is a top 10 NFL QB. we may have one of the top 5 qb s in the nfl in the coming seasons, thats exciting in my book. who knows how good he can be if we solidify the ol and a run game becomes consistently reliable? we play w a predictable pass first scheme.

since when are u alaska jack?

happy thanksgiving

November 24th, 2011, 11:27 am
RIP Killer

It doesn't take years of experience to start seeing the opposite color jerseys. Stafford has thrown a half dozen picks in the last 3 weeks right to different color jerseys. His vision has been horrible despite having time to throw

November 24th, 2011, 6:22 pm

if it were only that simple

November 24th, 2011, 10:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:
It doesn't take years of experience to start seeing the opposite color jerseys. Stafford has thrown a half dozen picks in the last 3 weeks right to different color jerseys. His vision has been horrible despite having time to throw

Your right. Assuming of course that his broken finger has absolutely nothing to do with it.

November 25th, 2011, 10:43 am
Rookie Player of the Year

The one tipped INT shouldn't have been thrown and can be placed on Stafford and good defense. The other two were the Packers defense wanting it more. Woodson simply muscled the ball away from Pettigrew and the other pick was a great leaping play, where if Stafford gets just a couple more inches of air under the ball it's likely a big play for Detroit. The play that really upset me was the miscommunication by Stafford and Johnson when if they had been on the same page it might have been six points.

November 25th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Heisman Winner

He was the same way in college so I don't know why anyone is surprised. It's the reason I didn't want him. He's grown on me though because he improved so much, but the last few games look exactly like watching him in college. Not sure if it's him or the play calling but he turns into Shaun Hill sometimes. Throwing to the backs and tight ends is nice sometimes but everytime with no deep shots isn't going to win you any games.

November 25th, 2011, 12:35 pm

throwing to the backs bc calvin was getting doubled all game by two very good defenders and struggled to get open. burleson struggled to get open and when he did he still dropped two passes. would like to see more of young. pettigrew gets nothing after the catch and might as well have handed the ball off to charles woodson. not to mention that the packers didnt have to respect our run game at all when smith went out and they took the lead. we re passing the rest of the game and the packers knew it and they are very good - all we were left with were these short drop off passes.

i also really hated the bomb into the end zone on 3rd and 2 before the half when we finally had a nice penalty free drive. i thought they should ve played to keep the drive going. there was also a 2nd and short play where we ran dive up the middle to pick up the first. thats the situation in my opinion where you should be taking your shot down the field bc u still have possibly 2 downs to run and pick up the 1 yard if the bomb fails.

penalties, penalties, penalties, deficit, play desperate and turn it over...not a good formula

November 25th, 2011, 3:20 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Detroit Free Press wrote:
Can't put a finger on Lions QB Matthew Stafford's struggles
Nov. 25, 2011 | By Dave Birkett

Matthew Stafford insists his fractured right index finger isn't a problem. But something is.

Stafford threw three interceptions in Thursday's 27-15 loss to the Packers, giving him nine in his last 10 quarters of play.

He was picked off four times in the second half in a loss to the Bears after the Lions' bye week, when he first tried playing through the injury on his throwing hand, and twice more in last Sunday's win over the Panthers.

"I think all of them have been a little bit different," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "There were a couple in this game where he was just off. Linebacker made a great play to intercept one and we had one that was in our tight end's hands and got ripped away and things like that.

"So as long as we're making good decisions, going where we're supposed to go with the football, you've got to stay aggressive and you've got to keep throwing. You can't get gun-shy."

The Packers (11-0) scored 17 points off Stafford's three interceptions Thursday, with two coming in Lions' territory. Clay Matthews ran down a tipped ball on Stafford's first interception of the day, linebacker Robert Francois made a leaping grab on the second, and Charles Woodson read a route perfectly to take the ball out of tight end Brandon Pettigrew's hands on the third.

Stafford, who threw just four interceptions in the Lions' first eight games, said he hopes to play without the splint and gloves he's used the last three games when the Lions return to the field Dec. 4 at New Orleans.

"That would be ideal," he said. "We'll see, but I still haven't hit it on anything yet, so it's getting better."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111125/SPORTS01/111250329/Can-t-put-finger-Lions-QB-Matthew-Stafford-s-struggles

I don't care what Stafford says. That glove/splint has affected his throws. If it hasn't, then there's more serious issues that need to be fixed.

November 26th, 2011, 10:16 am

I don't really think the glove has had any effect at all.

All of the picks that have been his fault (and there have been a few that weren't--see Charles Woodson) have been dumb decision making; forcing the ball, things like that.

November 26th, 2011, 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next