View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Grade Stafford's performance for the year 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Grade Stafford's performance for the year
Blueskies wrote:
I don't really think the glove has had any effect at all.

All of the picks that have been his fault (and there have been a few that weren't--see Charles Woodson) have been dumb decision making; forcing the ball, things like that.

I agree that it isn't the glove. Let's face facts here, Stafford was not playing the same previous to his broken finger. Has he been terrible? No, not at all. But since the SF game, he's not been the same quarterback. I've mentioned this numerous times, in numerous threads. There is something going on with him, and it's in his head. Wins against Denver and Carolina don't convince me that he's overcome that mental issue. Even in those games he exhibited some of the same questionable thinking, and same way of bailing out of the pocket early.

November 26th, 2011, 11:36 am
League MVP

agree with you m2k that at least part of the problem is coming from somewhere other than the finger and that stafford now has to adjust. this is a big part of the learning curve - he s hit a lull but he s not going to get any better unless he s allowed to weather the storm and figure it out. he s only started 24 games so this interception run shouldnt come as a complete shock to anyone

November 27th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Stadium Announcer

I think its a little more than Stafford playing scared. I don't care what he says, if you have a broken finger on your throwing hand its going to affect him and the throws he makes. Which leads us to the play calling, I think they have been calling WAY to many short dump offs. Maybe to make up for the run, whatever the reason they have definately reduced the number of deep shots. I think if our offense was a little more balanced this slump would not be that big a deal or it would not be happening all together. The better teams have figured out a way to impede our offense, we need to find a way to change it up so there's not as much heat on Stafford, on field and off field heat

November 27th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Prior to breaking the finger, Stafford was making throws that only a few quarterbacks could make (or would even dare trying). Take a little bit of mustard off one of those throws, and all of a sudden it looks like a terrible decision.

I think they would've sat Stafford had he not missed all the time in his first two seasons. I think keeping him in has more to do with PR than putting the best player on the field.

November 27th, 2011, 4:28 pm
League MVP

valid points lomas, he doesnt want the negative mantra of missing more games but im not sure hill has more zip on his throws than stafford minus the index finger

November 28th, 2011, 10:32 pm
Modmin Dude

DetroitLions.com wrote:
Stafford loses the gloves
Posted by ttwentyman on November 29, 2011 – 8:28 pm

The most famous pair of gloves in Detroit are no more.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford ditched the throwing gloves for Tuesday’s practice.

“He didn’t have glove on?” Lions coach Jim Schwartz said with a smile when asked about it after practice. “I didn’t notice.”

Stafford has been wearing the gloves since fracturing the index finger on his throwing hand Oct. 30 against the Broncos.

He’s worn the gloves to better grip the football while wearing a splint on the finger.

Stafford was throwing the ball with zing without the gloves during the portion of practice open to the media on Tuesday. He wasn’t wearing the splint, either.

Over the last three games, Stafford has thrown seven touchdowns and nine interceptions and the Lions are 1-2 over that span.

He had 19 touchdown and four interceptions before the gloves went on Nov. 13 against the Bears.

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2011/11/2 ... he-gloves/

November 30th, 2011, 9:27 am

The Legend wrote:
valid points lomas, he doesnt want the negative mantra of missing more games but im not sure hill has more zip on his throws than stafford minus the index finger

Most definitely, but I think Hill is aware of the limitations of his arm strength and makes decisions accordingly. With Staff, it's like your Ferrari's in the shop, you get some decent car as a loaner, and you try to do all the same things on the road as when you had the Ferrari. Not gonna end well.

November 30th, 2011, 10:18 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I, for one, am glad to see the gloves gone. They may not have been responsible for all of Stafford's misthrows, but I suspect that they contributed to some of them.

November 30th, 2011, 12:10 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The gloves might not have affected the short throws much, but they definitely affected the accuracy on long throws. Take away our deep option (even if not used) changed the dynamic of our offense a lot.

November 30th, 2011, 8:00 pm
Heisman Winner

njroar wrote:
The gloves might not have affected the short throws much, but they definitely affected the accuracy on long throws. Take away our deep option (even if not used) changed the dynamic of our offense a lot.

I'm under the impression that the glove was never the issue it's the broken index finger that caused all the problems.

December 1st, 2011, 1:49 am

aManNamedSuh wrote:
njroar wrote:

I'm under the impression that the glove was never the issue it's the broken index finger that caused all the problems.

I was under the same impression. The gloves were an effort to get more of a grip on the ball because of the broken finger.

December 1st, 2011, 9:38 am

So who still thinks it wasn't the broken finger? I got some pipin' hot crow for ya.

December 5th, 2011, 12:32 am
League MVP

Quote:
Quote:

Don't start this.

What is the difference between the '10 Lions and the '11 Lions? A healthy Stafford.

I agree that this is a dangerous thing to talk about but when we think the QB had a bad game and his actual performance is:

28/50 293 yards 2 tds 86.5 passer rating and no turnovers when he gets sacked 5 times and hit another 10, its a pretty good indicator of how good he is and how high he has raised the standard of play from that position.

yeah, he missed some passes, he had a hard time in the redzone and it feels like he took a bad sack when we had no timeouts left in the two minute drill. I will remind us all that we had a few dropped passes, Pettigrew didnt get many yards after the catch, the line struggled with protection, the niners have a good defense and an intentional grounding is a worse result than a sack. nerves were a factor as well and through it all he didnt give the game away.

a better game from him is probably a win but a win might also have been the result of better punt coverage or maybe just directional punting and downing a ball at the 10 instead of trying to stop it at the 1, a win might also have been the result of not letting a guy gash you for 50 yards when the defensive line has blown up the play or coming away with more than just one of several errant or deflected passes by Alex Smith. Stafford played good enough to win as did the special teams, receivers, offensive line, defensive line, linebackers and secondary. None played egregiously. As a whole, however we lost. There are plenty of teaching points to go around to help us improve at multiple areas including the 23 year old QB with 15 tds and 4 ints. That he has room to improve is great news not something to complain about.

P.S. In the history of the Detroit Lions and Portsmouth Spartans which dates back to 1930 there have been only four yes four QBs with even 20 TDs in a season. Nobody has done it twice. Im not going to jinx Stafford in any way by making predictions but lets just savor what we have here. Also there have only been 8, 10 win seasons in franchise history so enjoy.

Jon Kitna 21 in 2006
Scott Mitchell 32 in 1995
Earl Morral 24 in 1963
Bobby Layne 26 in 1951

Anyway for the season and history of the franchises 81 years I give him a solid A

just looking back at the grades we gave out, Im going to stick with mine

January 5th, 2012, 1:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9