View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 9:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tis the season 
Modmin Dude

Post Tis the season
Guardian wrote:
Santa poses with AK-47s at US gun club
Gun club in Arizona offers members opportunity to pose for family photographs with Father Christmas and lots of guns
An Arizona gun club is offering a chance for children and their families to pose for photographs with Father Christmans while holding weaponry such as AK-47 rifles and grenade launchers.

One image shows Santa Claus in a wingback chair with a snowflake background, a Christmas tree behind him and flanked by an $80,000 machine gun and a tripod-mounted rifle. Next to Santa is a man standing behind a boy, who is holding an unloaded AR-15, an AK-47 variant, with an attached grenade launcher.

In another photo, Santa cradles a toddler dressed in camouflage, while a man and woman stand close by with rifles with foldable stocks. In another image, five young women pose with AR-15 and other rifles.

Ron Kennedy, general manager of the Scottsdale gun club, said the business got the idea for the photographs last year when a club member happened to come in dressed as Santa Claus and other members wanted their picture taken with him while they were holding their guns.

"Our customers have been looking for a fun and safe way to express their holiday spirit and passion for firearms," said Kennedy, noting people have used the photos for Christmas cards and Facebook posts. About 500 people showed up to the first of two sittings on Saturday.

Kennedy, whose facility offers guns for sale and to rent and has a 32-lane indoor shooting range, said the event was not aimed at children, but the club supports the right of parents to include children in the photos.

The guns used in the photos are not loaded and have had their firing pins removed, and their chambers are regularly cleared to ensure safety, Kennedy said.

To buy a semi-automatic rifle in the US, a buyer must be at least 18 years old and cannot be a convicted felon. The requirements for prospective buyers of fully automatic machine guns include being at least 21 years old, not being a convicted felon and getting a special license from federal firearms agents.

Democratic state Representative Steve Farley, who proposed an unsuccessful ban on large-capacity gun magazines like the one used in the 8 January mass shooting in Tucson, Arizona, that killed six people and wounded congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and 12 others, said the gun club's photo event was inappropriate.

"To involve machine guns and Santa in a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ is the worst kind of heresy I can imagine," said Farley. "I would suggest that the people who created this read some of the New Testament."

Kennedy said the club is simply trying to provide a safe holiday event that's an expression of their passions. "It's more of a celebration of their Second Amendment rights," Kennedy said.

He said the club will continue holding the events in future years if there's a demand from customers for it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... s-gun-club

November 30th, 2011, 9:36 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Tis the season
AWESOME!!!!

Jingle Bells, Shotgun Shells, Uzis, and AKs
Oh what fun it is to shoot high-powered assault rifles all day...Hey!

Dear Santa, I would like a M134 7.62×51 minigun and a Mk 19 40mm Grenade Launcher for Christmas this year. Thanks, buddy!

November 30th, 2011, 11:26 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

um Santa is for kids man...Guns...not so much. Might as well have him drunk too....perfectly leagal, and still inaopprpriate.

November 30th, 2011, 1:41 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
um Santa is for kids man...Guns...not so much. Might as well have him drunk too....perfectly leagal, and still inaopprpriate.

There are no kids in that pic, and Santa is for Christmas, not just kids. How many Santas have you seen in car ads, or beer ads? Kids can't drive, kids can't have beer, but somehow it's not inappropriate then? People need to quit being so sensitive. It's like they see something and the first thing they think is "how can I criticize this!?!?!?"

November 30th, 2011, 3:13 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

There are no kids in that pic,

From the posted article:
Quote:
One image shows Santa Claus in a wingback chair with a snowflake background, a Christmas tree behind him and flanked by an $80,000 machine gun and a tripod-mounted rifle. Next to Santa is a man standing behind a boy, who is holding an unloaded AR-15, an AK-47 variant, with an attached grenade launcher.

In another photo, Santa cradles a toddler dressed in camouflage, while a man and woman stand close by with rifles with foldable stocks. In another image, five young women pose with AR-15 and other rifles

Located elsewhere on da intarwebs:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-201_162-10010399.html

ImageImage

November 30th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Still not offended. If the kid was pointing it at some Arab's head, or doing something inappropriate it would be a different story. Who wouldn't want to hold a machine gun at any age? It's not like the damn thing is loaded and ready to kill someone.

November 30th, 2011, 4:16 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

There are no kids in that pic, and Santa is for Christmas, not just kids. How many Santas have you seen in car ads, or beer ads? Kids can't drive, kids can't have beer, but somehow it's not inappropriate then? People need to quit being so sensitive. It's like they see something and the first thing they think is "how can I criticize this!?!?!?"

no...using santa to sell beer isappropriate too. thats why I added the drunk comment. Santa is an overall representation of christmas. he can legaly be used for any kind of holiday advertising that you wish to be done. But in no way shapwe or form do I have to admit it is all in good taste. santa selling guns is in bad tatse. Funny? oh hell yes! Inapropriate? once again...Oh hell yes!
(notice that I didnt use teh word offensive......I used the word inappropriate. surely you cant argue with that!)

November 30th, 2011, 4:19 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

no...using santa to sell beer isappropriate too. thats why I added the drunk comment. Santa is an overall representation of christmas. he can legaly be used for any kind of holiday advertising that you wish to be done. But in no way shapwe or form do I have to admit it is all in good taste. santa selling guns is in bad tatse. Funny? oh hell yes! Inapropriate? once again...Oh hell yes!
(notice that I didnt use teh word offensive......I used the word inappropriate. surely you cant argue with that!)

I don't think any of it is inapporpriate. The idea of an obses, bearded, old man having a beer is offensive? C'mon... The fact that he delivers presents once a year precludes him from having a drink? I don't buy it.

Some of the comedies that show santa blasted (Bad Santa if you will) are inappropriate for some ages, but then again, they are rated as such.

The kid in that picture is probably about 8 years old. I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching gun safety to a 4 year old. I was 4 when I got my first BB gun, and there was nothing inappropriate about the gift. It was beat into me with a POS spring loaded Daisy BB gun at 4 years old to NEVER point a gun at something I don't want to shoot. That thing couldn't even break skin, and I was still never allowed to use it unsupervised, I only shot at cardboard boxes with rags in them (and occasionally crows when they would become problematic on the property, but my gun was never strong enough to shoot that far, let alone kill them). I see nothing wrong with posing with a gun of any sort, unless there is an inappropriate use of that gun being depicted.

November 30th, 2011, 4:56 pm

lol! we're talking about santa clause not uncle Jessie! lol i HAVE YET TO HEAR THE CHRISTMAS TALE OF THE DISTILLERY OUT BY THE REINDEER PEN! LMAO!(stupid cap loc button..sorry)

Look , i'm not calling for a banning, or saying they shouldn't do this or that. im simply saying that Santa is supposed to represent the innocence of childhood for the holidays.
If a gun toting santa is approriate, then so is South Park, Bad Santa, and hell me! that'd be a first! :wink: :lol:

November 30th, 2011, 5:05 pm

This thread is yet another example of political correctness run amok. Whatever happened to our 1st Amendment rights and freedom of expression? If someone wants to take a picture with Santa while holding their favorite assault weapon, who am I (or anybody else for that matter) to tell them that they can't?

November 30th, 2011, 5:13 pm
Modmin Dude

slybri19 wrote:
This thread is yet another example of political correctness run amok. Whatever happened to our 1st Amendment rights and freedom of expression? If someone wants to take a picture with Santa while holding their favorite assault weapon, who am I (or anybody else for that matter) to tell them that they can't?
Not sure where you're getting anyone trying to force anything, care to point that out? All I'm seeing is an open discussion about the use or portrayal of a historical figure (YAY 1st amendment). Now you may not agree with what some peeps are saying, but I don't see anyone trying to force anything on anyone else.

Now, for the record, my opinion is that these peeps might be a little looney for wanting their picture taken with Santa and guns, but hey let them know themselves out. Personally I'd like to have my picture taken with Santa's

To each his own. :wink:

November 30th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Wags, I never said anybody here was attempting to force something on anybody else. I was only pointing out how widespread political correctness has become and how it could possibly infringe upon others' rights. Hell, I'm sure that some people would find your Santa's Elf offensive, but I rather enjoyed her. I just find the whole PC movement ridiculous and find nothing wrong with someone doing anything loony, strange, or inappropriate, as long as it doesn't break any laws. Live and let live.

November 30th, 2011, 5:43 pm

slybri19 wrote:

oh yer not going Libtard are ya???
I specifically said

Quote:
Look , i'm not calling for a banning, or saying they shouldn't do this or that.

gotcha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

November 30th, 2011, 6:06 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Its a Gun Club.... They're marketing their product. As for kids and guns, notice he's with an adult? If the kid was alone, then you might have issues, but they were specifically marketing it with father/son which is how is should be. Shooting is an activity that a lot of fathers and sons do together. I used to go to the range with mine all the time. Now he's content to play COD or Battlefield.

Advertising is marketed directly to the people who buy their products. You have every right to not show up, just like I have every right to not show up at a Liquor store that is marketing "candy cane" vodka. I did advertising for a golf course for 8 years. For holidays, you integrate the holidays with your product. Just including holiday clip art doesn't come across the same image on an ad as Santa holding golf clubs.

This is genius marketing to be honest.

November 30th, 2011, 8:13 pm

njroar wrote:
Its a Gun Club.... They're marketing their product. As for kids and guns, notice he's with an adult? If the kid was alone, then you might have issues, but they were specifically marketing it with father/son which is how is should be. Shooting is an activity that a lot of fathers and sons do together. I used to go to the range with mine all the time. Now he's content to play COD or Battlefield.

Advertising is marketed directly to the people who buy their products. You have every right to not show up, just like I have every right to not show up at a Liquor store that is marketing "candy cane" vodka. I did advertising for a golf course for 8 years. For holidays, you integrate the holidays with your product. Just including holiday clip art doesn't come across the same image on an ad as Santa holding golf clubs.

This is genius marketing to be honest.

now thats a FACT. I wouldn't have heard about it if it was just a shotgun under a Christmas tree. Would have made the same point im sure. But going with a chaingun on one side of Santa and an 8 year old hold a fully automatic assualt rifle with attached grenade launcher..NOW THATS CHRISTMAS!

The world needs less Howard Stern shock BS....not more of it. Just one mans oppion.

November 30th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next