View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Lions' problems can be traced to their leader 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Lions' problems can be traced to their leader
BillySims wrote:
You don't keep up much do you? The Saints beat us 1 week ago.

Does that mean the Saints WILL win in the playoffs? I based my quote on the fact that the Lions will have a rematch, and usually rematch games are closer than the first ones. Even when I try to give Lions credit, you jump on my case.

aManNamedSuh wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
49ers wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Playing in a division where every team is trash tends to help
Up to this point, only 2 of our 10 wins account for our division.
The sad part is you don't either know who's in your division or who your team played.

Seattle 33-17 week 1
Arizona 23-7 week 11
STL 26-0 week 13
Arizona ? Week 14

I'd chalk that up to an honest mistake, but I would laugh if Arizona ended up beating them. Not because they are a decent team but because how much the poster 49ers has the 49ers the team up on this pedestal.

That was an honest mistake. I forgot the Seahawks win. That's still only 3 wins and still my point stands.

The Cards played inspired today. I was thinking we would lose when we had to settle for that first field goal. Cards absolutely rocked it. Our inability to score touchdowns inside the red zone is going to curse us... this is 4 or 5 weeks in a row.

We can still score and make first downs, and our defense is great, but I'm worried about our ability to make red zone trips count. Also no Patrick Willis. We really could have used him today.

December 11th, 2011, 8:15 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

You're gonna end up losing the #2 seed and end up facing us at home :)

December 11th, 2011, 8:40 pm
Varsity Captain

njroar wrote:

Well that's possible at this rate. That would be one hell of a game. The damn Harbs-Schwartz headline would take over the game.

God... I just thought about it. Imagine how badly the Lions would want to win that game. rofl. Even worse than the Giants matchup I thought would happen.

December 11th, 2011, 8:50 pm
NFL Team Captain

49ers wrote:
njroar wrote:

Well that's possible at this rate. That would be one hell of a game. The damn Harbs-Schwartz headline would take over the game.

God... I just thought about it. Imagine how badly the Lions would want to win that game. rofl. Even worse than the Giants matchup I thought would happen.

I'm praying for the rematch!

December 11th, 2011, 8:55 pm
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
49ers wrote:
njroar wrote:

Unless Patrick Willis is out, they would beat us again. They're a better team, with more talent, and they have a better coach, period.

December 12th, 2011, 10:19 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
49ers wrote:
njroar wrote:

Unless Patrick Willis is out, they would beat us again. They're a better team, with more talent, and they have a better coach, period.

With a legit running attack, we would destroy the Niners. Healthy Kevin Smith and they would be all done.

December 12th, 2011, 10:21 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
49ers wrote:
njroar wrote:

With a legit running attack, we would destroy the Niners. Healthy Kevin Smith and they would be all done.

No way... With AP, Ray Rice, Michael Turner, McCoy, etc., probably. It would take a healthy Kevin Smith AND an upgraded OL to beat the Niners. We could do it with a superstar at RB, but it would take a "special player" to sway the pendulum our way.

December 12th, 2011, 10:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
No way... With AP, Ray Rice, Michael Turner, McCoy, etc., probably. It would take a healthy Kevin Smith AND an upgraded OL to beat the Niners. We could do it with a superstar at RB, but it would take a "special player" to sway the pendulum our way.

You always go on about OL and how Stafford's not the solution, but look at the teams that took your approach: Cleveland, Miami, Washington, etc. They're really lighting things up, aren't they? Atlanta and Detroit went the QB route and so far it looks like the smarter way to go.

December 12th, 2011, 10:31 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

You always go on about OL and how Stafford's not the solution, but look at the teams that took your approach: Cleveland, Miami, Washington, etc. They're really lighting things up, aren't they? Atlanta and Detroit went the QB route and so far it looks like the smarter way to go.

Atlanta already had a good OL and a good running game. Cleaveland may have drafted Joe Thomas and Miami may have drafted Jake Long, but I don't know that they "fixed" their OL and running game before getting their Qb. I would also add that they never got their Qb after attempting to patch together an OL. Washing tried with Jason Campbell, but I never thought he was going to be good. All three teams have had no one but has-beens at the Qb spot since, with Miami losing as much talent in the running game as they acquired, same is true with Washington.

My argument isn't that you don't need a decent Qb, it's that you're better off fixing the OL and running game first (like Atlanta, actually). IMO the best counter point against my theory is KC. I don't know what the hell happened there... I thought they were going to have a good year this year.

December 12th, 2011, 10:50 am
Pop Warner Vet

49ers wrote:
jcmessing wrote:
As a niner's fan you better pray that the Saint's don't come in there first, because they will run up and down the field in San Fran just as easily as the Packers, and definitely as easily as the Giants. You want to play any team without an offense that will expose the Niners offense when they are forced to go tit for tat. When they are down by 20 in the first half the niners will be forced to face the fact that they are a bubble team (See: Atlanta Falcons, 2010) that has a lot to prove before they can hang with the likes of the top tier in the NFL. We've seen this before with teams, and one bad playoff game certainly doesn't mean the Saints aren't potent, they've proven they can win in the playoffs.

No. I know my team better than you. Our offense is better than you realize. I want the Saints.

Well, 49ers, you got what you wished for. Good luck. Gotta say though, I'm sticking with my statement that the niners won't win a game in the playoffs.

January 8th, 2012, 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

how the 49ers do against the Saints is crucial to the Lions offseason. we wont take much from their scheme but it ll help us decide if we should emphasize improving the offense or defense more.

if the niners do a considerably better job on D than the Lions did then maybe we really look into upgrading multiple spots on the defense and spending big to retain avril. But if the Saints continue to roll around in yards and points than doing too much with the defense will appear to be futile. There arent many defenses as good as San Fran's so if even they cant stop the Saints it might be better to add more dimensions to our offense - ie one or two runners, a fourth starting caliber WR, a FA OL, a FB, etc - and attempt to build our teams for shootouts and playing keepaway.

January 9th, 2012, 2:36 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Atlanta already had a good OL and a good running game. Cleaveland may have drafted Joe Thomas and Miami may have drafted Jake Long, but I don't know that they "fixed" their OL and running game before getting their Qb. I would also add that they never got their Qb after attempting to patch together an OL. Washing tried with Jason Campbell, but I never thought he was going to be good. All three teams have had no one but has-beens at the Qb spot since, with Miami losing as much talent in the running game as they acquired, same is true with Washington.

My argument isn't that you don't need a decent Qb, it's that you're better off fixing the OL and running game first (like Atlanta, actually). IMO the best counter point against my theory is KC. I don't know what the hell happened there... I thought they were going to have a good year this year.

Regardless, you need a better than average QB to succeed in this league. I want the Lions to fix some issues on their offensive line. But I don't think the Lions have to get a premier running back to make their running game work. I am convinced that some of it has to do with the offensive line being less maulers and more technicians, and also the scheme being run by Linehan. I truly think that the way the plays are scripted, and the way the blocking schemes are set, it is a recipe for a mediocre running game, even with the best of backs. The Lions offense scored a bunch of points, but not on the ground. The Lions offense accumulated a bunch of yards, but not on the ground. So, basically one could say the Lions offense was successful this season....but extremely one dimensional. That needs to change. Fix the offensive line....fix the scheme...do that and you can plug in any decent back and it will work.

There's a reason why teams like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and New England have successful running games regardless of who is at RB. It's a combination of the threat of the pass because of their top notch QBs, and because of the scheme that is put in place.

January 9th, 2012, 9:42 am
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Regardless, you need a better than average QB to succeed in this league. I want the Lions to fix some issues on their offensive line. But I don't think the Lions have to get a premier running back to make their running game work. I am convinced that some of it has to do with the offensive line being less maulers and more technicians, and also the scheme being run by Linehan. I truly think that the way the plays are scripted, and the way the blocking schemes are set, it is a recipe for a mediocre running game, even with the best of backs. The Lions offense scored a bunch of points, but not on the ground. The Lions offense accumulated a bunch of yards, but not on the ground. So, basically one could say the Lions offense was successful this season....but extremely one dimensional. That needs to change. Fix the offensive line....fix the scheme...do that and you can plug in any decent back and it will work.

There's a reason why teams like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and New England have successful running games regardless of who is at RB. It's a combination of the threat of the pass because of their top notch QBs, and because of the scheme that is put in place.

And because they have VERY GOOD offensive lines. Look at the time that Breese, Big Ben, and Brady have to throw the damn ball... they have 6-7 seconds every damn time.

Their OL allows them to have successful passing schemes, and opens up their running game. Our OL is garbage, plain and simple. You can argue that Backus and/or Raiola are "better than average" but for some reason the collective group is sh!t, plain and simple.

January 11th, 2012, 4:45 pm
RIP Killer

Ben is always getting blasted. His OL is NOT a very good pass protecting group. Whoever thinks they are sure don't watch Steelers games. They're especially bad without Pouncey.

Ben holds the ball a long time and he pays for it. He takes more shots than Stafford, not to mention, he's usually running for his life.

January 11th, 2012, 5:07 pm
Varsity Captain

A great QB helps. The probability of winning greatly increases with a great QB, there is no doubt in my mind.

But a dominant defense can also carry a team, perhaps not as far as a QB can, but it still does.

I'm excited!

And back to the "problems traced to their leader" comment.... wtf is up with Eric Berry?

January 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next