View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 If the Colts get the first pick in 2012 draft.... 

What should the Colts do?
Pick Andrew Luck first overall and release Peyton? 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Pick Andrew Luck first overall and keep Peyton? 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
Take Matt Kalil first overall? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Trade down and keep Peyton? 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Other...please explain. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

If the Colts get the first pick in 2012 draft.... 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: If the Colts get the first pick in 2012 draft....
m2karateman wrote:
The idea that a team would give up two first round picks for Peyton Manning is insane. Why would any team do that for a guy who may not play again? And if he does, he's only two or three years away from retirement.

I think a team might offer a second rounder, maybe throw in a later round with that. But you have to remember, Manning was successful in Indy because of how well he knew the offense there. If he goes to another team, they aren't automatically going to put in the offense he's accustomed to.

And a first and third rounder for Freeney?! Please.....he's no longer in his prime, and he's injury prone now, and not the player he once was. If the Lions gave up anything more than a fifth rounder for him, I'd be pissed.

Indy needs to take the next step in their evolution. Draft Luck, get rid of Peyton in any way possible. Manning isn't going to help develop Luck. Favre wouldn't do it in Green Bay. Rodgers watched, but Favre didn't take an active role with him. Manning won't either. The Colts should just start from scratch and get the huge money they are paying Manning off their books.

wait wait wait wait. Roy williams gets a 1st and a 3rd. Jay cutler is worth 2 1sts, and the (arguably) best qb to walk on the field isnt worth it? you and I have very different opinions on insanity my friend. you are probably right about Freeney. but I gotta disagree with you entirely about Manning. (Of course this is all based on him pasing the physicals of course)

December 8th, 2011, 5:34 pm
RIP Killer

have we also already forgot what the Raiders paid for Carson Palmer?

December 8th, 2011, 5:59 pm
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:

wow no kidding. good example!

December 8th, 2011, 6:11 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The idea that a team would give up two first round picks for Peyton Manning is insane. Why would any team do that for a guy who may not play again? And if he does, he's only two or three years away from retirement.

I think a team might offer a second rounder, maybe throw in a later round with that. But you have to remember, Manning was successful in Indy because of how well he knew the offense there. If he goes to another team, they aren't automatically going to put in the offense he's accustomed to.

And a first and third rounder for Freeney?! Please.....he's no longer in his prime, and he's injury prone now, and not the player he once was. If the Lions gave up anything more than a fifth rounder for him, I'd be pissed.

Indy needs to take the next step in their evolution. Draft Luck, get rid of Peyton in any way possible. Manning isn't going to help develop Luck. Favre wouldn't do it in Green Bay. Rodgers watched, but Favre didn't take an active role with him. Manning won't either. The Colts should just start from scratch and get the huge money they are paying Manning off their books.

wait wait wait wait. Roy williams gets a 1st and a 3rd. Jay cutler is worth 2 1sts, and the (arguably) best qb to walk on the field isnt worth it? you and I have very different opinions on insanity my friend. you are probably right about Freeney. but I gotta disagree with you entirely about Manning. (Of course this is all based on him pasing the physicals of course)

Both Roy Williams and Jay Cutler were young, had no health issues and on their initial rookie deals when they were dealt. The deal the Lions got for Roy was ridiculous, and everyone but Jerry Jones knew it. Manning may not play again, and his contract demands have been over the top. There's nothing to indicate that he wouldn't still want to be the highest paid QB in the league for any team that would think about trading for him. Typically the deals that net a team a player for high draft picks get them someone young and affordable, contract wise.

There may be a team willing to give up a single first rounder for Manning. But two? I just don't see a team doing that. I could be wrong, because there are definitely some insane owners (Jones, Snyder) who would do that, thinking it would put their team in position for a Super Bowl instantly. But I think level headed owners wouldn't pay that much for a guy who missed an entire season with injury, is clearly in the twilight of his career, and has a burdensome contract.

December 8th, 2011, 10:18 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:

Have we forgotten that Manning is three years older than Palmer, has been in the league five years longer (and taken that many more years of damage) and has missed an entire season with a serious neck injury? Do we also realize that Manning has a 28 million dollar bonus due him? Do we also realize that the rest of Manning's contract is more lucrative than Palmer's? Do we realize that?

I just don't see a team giving two firsts for Manning. If they do, then I guarantee you they'll live to regret the trade. Manning won't instantly take a team to a Super Bowl. Mark my words. He'll never play in that game again.

December 8th, 2011, 10:25 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Have we forgotten that Manning is three years older than Palmer, has been in the league five years longer (and taken that many more years of damage) and has missed an entire season with a serious neck injury? Do we also realize that Manning has a 28 million dollar bonus due him? Do we also realize that the rest of Manning's contract is more lucrative than Palmer's? Do we realize that?

I just don't see a team giving two firsts for Manning. If they do, then I guarantee you they'll live to regret the trade. Manning won't instantly take a team to a Super Bowl. Mark my words. He'll never play in that game again.

Lol I bet the Raiders would! Of course if they didnt deal for Palmer.

Good points all around. If I had my new opinion based on reading everybodys excellent points, Id have to believe they would talk about Manning staying around, but in the end, I see him under the "Breaking News" as being either released or traded. Regardless, like mentioned several times before, Andrew Luck will be a Colt.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 8th, 2011, 10:42 pm

M2k also...dont forget Washington has crap for QB's right now. they LOOOOOVE to overpay for seasoned vets. and once again..this is all based on Manning passing a physical. If he's a no go, obviously no one is trading anything.

Im just saying, 2 firsts is what I would shop for if I were GM, and I think enough teams would at least consider it, making it far from insane.

December 9th, 2011, 9:39 am
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
M2k also...dont forget Washington has crap for QB's right now. they LOOOOOVE to overpay for seasoned vets. and once again..this is all based on Manning passing a physical. If he's a no go, obviously no one is trading anything.

Im just saying, 2 firsts is what I would shop for if I were GM, and I think enough teams would at least consider it, making it far from insane.

And as I said, Snyder and Jones trading two firsts wouldn't be out of the question, or Al Davis if he were still alive, because those three are certifiable.

Washington would be the one team that it would make the most sense for them to trade a good deal more than other teams to get someone like Manning, because they have a pretty good roster other than at that position. And I agree, were I Polian I'd be shopping him for two firsts and some change. Why not? However, as a GM would you fork over that much for Manning and his exorbitant contract? I guess, that's the question I am asking. What would any of us be willing to part with for him were we a GM for an NFL team.

December 9th, 2011, 12:43 pm

m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

And as I said, Snyder and Jones trading two firsts wouldn't be out of the question, or Al Davis if he were still alive, because those three are certifiable.

Washington would be the one team that it would make the most sense for them to trade a good deal more than other teams to get someone like Manning, because they have a pretty good roster other than at that position. And I agree, were I Polian I'd be shopping him for two firsts and some change. Why not? However, as a GM would you fork over that much for Manning and his exorbitant contract? I guess, that's the question I am asking. What would any of us be willing to part with for him were we a GM for an NFL team.

as a LIons GM no..Im happy with Stafford. But if Im GM to a team that is a QB shy of making a solid (and deep) playoff run I'd do it in a heartbeat. Manning on the decline still performs infinatly better than a Cutler on the rise. If i thought it would get me a SB ring in the next 2 years i would not hesitate.

December 9th, 2011, 12:50 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I think it all depends on if you think Peyton will regain anything close to his former playing level. If you think he can, then you trade down. If you think he will return to form, then you keep him and compete the next 2-5 years. You could trade down with KC, Miami, etc and get your 2 first rounders. That might be enough to fix some of those problems they currently have.

How big of a cap hit would the colts take by cutting Peyton? Don't they prorate the bonus of the contract over the length of the contract as "dead" cap space? I tried to do a little research to find out, but couldn't find it. The cap hit for cutting Peyton could be prohibitive enough to keep them from cutting him completely.

Definitely a tough spot for the Indy brass. The new CBA rules for rookie contracts helps them out a ton if they want to draft luck and let him sit for a year or so.

December 12th, 2011, 10:36 pm
Payton is old enough that you need his future replacement anyhow. Whomever is picking first, unless by miracle it is some team that has their "franchise Qb" (I don't see anyone at the bottom of the barrel that I feel that way about), you draft Luck. IMO he's the best Qb prospect to come out of the draft since Carson Palmer (whom I loved in college). Sam Bradford was a great prospect, but even he had injury issues.

The Colts would suit themselves well to grab Luck even if Payton can regain his former self. Luck could sit and learn for a year or maybe even two under Payton, play when Payton his hurt, perhaps help limit Payton's play if his injury lingers, but allows him to play, and start for them for the next 10 years.

December 13th, 2011, 10:22 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yes, the Colts need to pull the trigger and draft Luck.. let him sit a year or 2 behind Manning like Rodgers got to do behind Favre. Colts could only hope that Luck comes out as hot as Rodgers did when he hits the field.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 13th, 2011, 12:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm of the school that believes Peyton will never play another snap for the Colts (and possibly any other team).

December 17th, 2011, 8:57 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I can't believe I'm the only one that voted to trade down. The Colts are more than a QB away from being a good team again and a boatload of picks could go a long way toward improving the team.

December 19th, 2011, 1:16 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I can't believe I'm the only one that voted to trade down. The Colts are more than a QB away from being a good team again and a boatload of picks could go a long way toward improving the team.

Believe it, this is a QB driven league and the Colts more than anyone else understand this. You build around a QB period. Indy had lots of issues before Manning went down but a great QB masks many problems.

Draft Luck and then start building around him. Sure you could build a good team without him, but the NFL is about winning championships and a good team gets you at .500 (no mans land and an occassional playoff spot) while a great QB wins you the rings.

December 19th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next