View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Burleson/Young 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Burleson/Young
Taug107 wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
I think Titus Young will take over Burleson's role as the #2 WR in a year or two, but I certainly wouldn't get rid of Nate until Titus proves he is up to the challenge. Besides, as Pablo just said, who do they have to replace Young as the #3?

The Lions need to re-sign a bunch of players that are not going to be cheap. IMO Burleson's salary may be the deciding factor on whether he's a Lion next year.

Aren't veteran deals like his usually front-loaded?

Btw, here's the Turning Point thing. Sent chills down my spine:

December 22nd, 2011, 2:11 pm
League MVP

I will agree that Burleson has been disappointing but he is still without a doubt a solid No 2 WR - dont mince my words. I am saying that Burleson is not an elite No 2 like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Jordy Nelson but he is as good or better than players like Early Doucet, David Nelson, Steve Breaston, Deion Branch, Legedu Naane, Davone Bess, Jerome Simpson, etc and if a No 1 WR went down is capable of a season like Nate Washington's this year. Some teams like Chicago for example may not even have one receiver as good as Burleson. The player that others such as wjb are asking for a big fast deep threat WR are essentially No 1 or 1a WRs ala Julio Jones, Dez Bryant as listed above and is a great luxury to have but not necessarily realistic. Of course it would be better to have that, that is obvious, but thats not reality.

Still as things stand Burleson hasnt burned teams as much as he should or as much as we d expect him to. One problem I noticed - I was at the game vs Oakland - for example is that Burleson engages in quite a bit of trash talk on the field with the fans in the first few rows. Burleson is funny and I enjoyed it up until he dropped what I think were 2 or 3 passes and let another one zip through coverage and slam him in the thigh without getting his hands on the ball. Very few other dressed players even look up when you call there names. For example, Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson appear to be in a completely focused zone. Stafford sits on the bench next to Linehan looking through pictures of formations and on the radio above to whoever is in the booth going over plays all games. I was very impressed with him. Johnson watches the entire game and occassionally celebrates with his teammates, seemingly for there benefit - not his own. Kind of like a twist on Barry Sander's "humbleness" but without the arrogance of being too good to celebrate with his teammates. Anyway, I think Burleson cuts the drops in half and he s doing just fine, maybe his in game focus is one factor that could help him towards that.

Young has impressive physical skills and once he gets his game completely in order he will be a weapon and a true threat. Right now he is still making too many mistakes to surpass Burleson.

3 wideout formations will eventually become the norm which they are or almost are already. I think Burleson gets one more year as one of the receivers behind Calvin and will be the guy on the field in 2 wr sets in 2012 I expect Young to outproduce him (in 2012). After 2012 unless Burleson has a big year, they will grab another WR in FA or the draft to go with a hopefully re signed Calvin and have Titus starting to break out.

Last edited by The Legend on December 22nd, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Taug107 wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
I think Titus Young will take over Burleson's role as the #2 WR in a year or two, but I certainly wouldn't get rid of Nate until Titus proves he is up to the challenge. Besides, as Pablo just said, who do they have to replace Young as the #3?

The Lions need to re-sign a bunch of players that are not going to be cheap. IMO Burleson's salary may be the deciding factor on whether he's a Lion next year.

Aren't veteran deals like his usually front-loaded?

Btw, here's the Turning Point thing. Sent chills down my spine:

Burleson and the Lions slightly restructured his 2011 salary around the bye week this year, but as far as I can tell he still has a $4mil cap number for 2012.

December 22nd, 2011, 2:39 pm
Junior Varsity

That was awesome. Almost as good as watching it live.

I will say this about Calvin, even watching it back I was sure he was going to fumble. He leaves the ball way to open at times after her breaks the initial tackle. Darn near gave me a heart attack.

December 22nd, 2011, 2:50 pm
League MVP

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
That was awesome. Almost as good as watching it live.

I will say this about Calvin, even watching it back I was sure he was going to fumble. He leaves the ball way to open at times after her breaks the initial tackle. Darn near gave me a heart attack.

I saw that too, but dont forget that Calvion is a freak of nature. His hands are HUGE! so while most people have a less that secure grip on a ball one handed, his hands are so big they envelope the whole ball. While i would like to see a little more security on the ball Im not overly concerned as while it looks dangerous, he has a very frim grip with those gigantor hands!

December 22nd, 2011, 4:35 pm
Junior Varsity

Agreed, but it isn't the first time I've been on the edge of my seat as he runs with the ball away from his body in traffic. At some point the size of his hands isn't going to matter and he's going to lose one.

December 22nd, 2011, 6:34 pm
League MVP

like @ chicago?

December 22nd, 2011, 6:49 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Thanks for posting the Versus game review. Their game recap is superior to any others I've seen.

December 23rd, 2011, 2:30 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
I really like NFL Turning Point, and that video of the game was really good. :arrow:

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 23rd, 2011, 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Burleson / Young
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News wrote:
January 5, 2012 at 10:22 am
Lions rookie Titus Young pushes past petulance
By Chris McCosky

Titus Young shares a word with coach Jim Schwartz, who sees the rookie receiver as a viable alternative when Calvin Johnson is covered. (Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

Allen Park— It was hardly the most notorious or violent personal foul ever committed during a game, but it became, at the time, another symbol of the Lions' immaturity and lack of discipline.

It was in New Orleans and it came on the heels of the team's national embarrassment against Green Bay on Thanksgiving Day (the Ndamukong Suh stomp). Detroit trailed 24-7 and was inside New Orleans' 5-yard line early in the third quarter.

The play ended, there was some jostling, and rookie Titus Young, over-animated, delivered an extra shove.

Flag. Fifteen yards. No touchdown. No comeback.

It was one of three boneheaded, post-whistle personal fouls, and one of 11 penalties that cost the Lions 107 yards and negated another 110 yards passing.

It was the low point of the season. When center Dominic Raiola shouted, "Grow the (bleep) up," in the locker room after the 31-17 loss, Young was among the players he was talking to.

And he knew it.

As reporters made their way toward Young, veteran Nate Burleson grabbed him and said some things to him.

"I said, 'Look, the big thing is keep your mouth closed,'" Burleson said. "'Shake your head and say OK. Everybody is going to come down on you — the media, the coaches, other players. Just say OK, put your head down and go to work. Eventually, you will get your opportunity to get back on the field.'"

Young took heed.

"I was completely wrong," Young said after the game. "I let my emotions get the best of me. I wasn't thinking about anything but myself in that situation and I hurt my team. I was completely wrong. The only thing I can do is learn from it and make sure it never happens again."

It hasn't. In fact, if we're going to call his penalty at New Orleans a symbol of the team's immaturity, it's only fair to point to his play the last four games as evidence of the team's resilience and growth.

"That might not have been his best day, but we have all been there," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. "He's done a great job of correcting those things and since then his play has been pretty darn good."

Young was benched for the rest of that game, but went back to work the next week, reclaimed his role as the third receiver and the last four games contributed 17 catches for 171 yards and four touchdowns, helping the team finish 3-1.

"It was just a thing that happened," said Young, who has 48 catches, 607 yards and six touchdowns. "I don't know if it characterizes me. Some things in life you have to live and you have to learn. I feel like I have definitely grown after that."

That's the consensus throughout the team, as well.

"It's been a great journey for him," Burleson said. "From him coming in, being banged up, having that hamstring (early in camp), then getting on the field and really having so much 'need' to get the ball."

Learning his role

It took a few weeks for Young, who racked up close to 5,000 all-purpose yards at Boise State, to understand his place in the pecking order of the offense.

"He had to understand that we are complements to Calvin (Johnson)," Burleson said. "We're kind of the side dish to the main entrée and we have to accept that role. When he was in college, he was the man. When he was in high school, he was the man. But I told him, 'You will get your opportunity, you will get your chance to shine, to be a No. 1. But right now, you have to accept a certain role.'"

That role was something the Lions have been trying to fill for years — a speedy, play-making third receiver that could make defenses pay for tilting too much toward Johnson. They went through Derrick Williams, Bryant Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey, dating to 2008.
What they saw in Young was the prototype — fast, explosive and multi-dimensional. When he was still on the board when the 44th pick came around, they snapped him up.

"It's been about growth and maturity and time spent out here (on the practice field)," Linehan said. "He has gotten better each week for us and he is a guy I know Matt has a lot of confidence in going to.

"He gets some favorable matchups and looks with Calvin on the field, which is really the reason why he is here, but I think he has done a really good job of working hard, working on certain things in his game that he had to improve on."

Odd man in

The loss to the Saints forced the Lions to get their emotions in check, and forced them to alter their approach in the red zone. The Saints absolutely refused to let Johnson beat them inside the 20-yard line, jamming him at the line of scrimmage with two defenders.

The Lions had to develop other options, and from that point, quarterback Matthew Stafford has made teams pay. Young has four touchdowns, tight ends Brandon Pettigrew (two) and Tony Scheffler have combined for three, running back Kevin Smith has three and Burleson has one in the final four games.

"I feel like anything that's good takes time," Young said. "I feel to be a great player you have to put in the work week after week. With the rookies, our time was shortened by the lockout, but I feel like I made up a lot of time during the season and I've really started to come on.

"It's starting to feel like college to me, in that things are starting to slow down. I am understanding the offense better and I can just go out and play."

There will be more growing pains. He still lines up on the wrong side of the formation occasionally. He still jumps the snap count once in a while or misses an audible. But he has, all in all, been exactly what the Lions thought he could be.

"I haven't seen a rookie come in and play as much and be as productive," Linehan said.

High praise, indeed.

"He's really come a long way to just accept anything he's given and that's paying off big for him," Burleson said. "His maturity, I don't think you guys truly know, his maturity has really grown so much. He has become a professional in one year."

chris.mccosky@detnews.com

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... -petulance

WOW! I was impressed with this article about Titus Young. I think Chris McCosky did a real good job of showing what character Young has and how valuable he's likely to become to this team.

I would anticipate a solid effort on Saturday.

January 5th, 2012, 11:54 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Burleson / Young
LionFan57 wrote:
WOW! I was impressed with this article about Titus Young. I think Chris McCosky did a real good job of showing what character Young has and how valuable he's likely to become to this team.

I would anticipate a solid effort on Saturday.

I agree, no mistakes. [-X

Also I hope if we get behind early, we keep going hard and not start playing cheap.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 6th, 2012, 11:17 am
Profile WWW
The Legend wrote:
I will agree that Burleson has been disappointing but he is still without a doubt a solid No 2 WR - dont mince my words. I am saying that Burleson is not an elite No 2 like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Jordy Nelson but he is as good or better than players like Early Doucet, David Nelson, Steve Breaston, Deion Branch, Legedu Naane, Davone Bess, Jerome Simpson, etc and if a No 1 WR went down is capable of a season like Nate Washington's this year. Some teams like Chicago for example may not even have one receiver as good as Burleson. The player that others such as wjb are asking for a big fast deep threat WR are essentially No 1 or 1a WRs ala Julio Jones, Dez Bryant as listed above and is a great luxury to have but not necessarily realistic. Of course it would be better to have that, that is obvious, but thats not reality.

Still as things stand Burleson hasnt burned teams as much as he should or as much as we d expect him to. One problem I noticed - I was at the game vs Oakland - for example is that Burleson engages in quite a bit of trash talk on the field with the fans in the first few rows. Burleson is funny and I enjoyed it up until he dropped what I think were 2 or 3 passes and let another one zip through coverage and slam him in the thigh without getting his hands on the ball. Very few other dressed players even look up when you call there names. For example, Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson appear to be in a completely focused zone. Stafford sits on the bench next to Linehan looking through pictures of formations and on the radio above to whoever is in the booth going over plays all games. I was very impressed with him. Johnson watches the entire game and occassionally celebrates with his teammates, seemingly for there benefit - not his own. Kind of like a twist on Barry Sander's "humbleness" but without the arrogance of being too good to celebrate with his teammates. Anyway, I think Burleson cuts the drops in half and he s doing just fine, maybe his in game focus is one factor that could help him towards that.

Young has impressive physical skills and once he gets his game completely in order he will be a weapon and a true threat. Right now he is still making too many mistakes to surpass Burleson.

3 wideout formations will eventually become the norm which they are or almost are already. I think Burleson gets one more year as one of the receivers behind Calvin and will be the guy on the field in 2 wr sets in 2012 I expect Young to outproduce him (in 2012). After 2012 unless Burleson has a big year, they will grab another WR in FA or the draft to go with a hopefully re signed Calvin and have Titus starting to break out.

I just look at teams like NO, Atl, NE, SF, Indy when they were good, Dallas, the Packers, the Steelers, the Giants, the Jets, etc. and it seems like most of the good teams have a 1a and 1b type of WR situation. I mean, look at the playoffs this year and you'll see that most of the teams have that sort of "luxury." And, IMO, with CJ we NEED a 1b type of WR to free him up. Burleson doesn't get any sort of respect, and teams are more than comfortable single covering him. We need someone better than that.

January 6th, 2012, 6:30 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I just look at teams like NO, Atl, NE, SF, Indy when they were good, Dallas, the Packers, the Steelers, the Giants, the Jets, etc. and it seems like most of the good teams have a 1a and 1b type of WR situation. I mean, look at the playoffs this year and you'll see that most of the teams have that sort of "luxury." And, IMO, with CJ we NEED a 1b type of WR to free him up. Burleson doesn't get any sort of respect, and teams are more than comfortable single covering him. We need someone better than that.

The way Titus keeps improving, Id say we just might have that 1b. (Maybe thats what you were implying)

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 6th, 2012, 7:12 pm
League MVP

Quote:

i agree with the concept but it depends how you get that guy. new orleans has it in graham who i think was either a 2nd or 3rd rd pick, the giants have cruz who was undrafted, green bay has nelson a 4th or 5th rd pick. Brady's te s were 2nd rd and later, antonio brown in PIT was a 5th or 6th rder. Then you have ATL who has Jones but had to trade a lot to move very high in the draft and their team isnt as good as it was a year ago. I just think you have to be smart and not get too aggressive trying to improve an area that is already solid. I agree though that Titus may end up being that type of player that we re talking about.

January 6th, 2012, 7:19 pm
I do think Titus could end up being that guy. He isn't really that tall, but he plays much taller than he is. He has really good hands, and adequate speed. I don't think Nate is good enough, but Titus may be.

I really wouldn't mind drafting a WR with our first round pick if a Johnny Baldwin type of player is there. That said, as everyone knows, I would prefer to fix the OL. I've already said that the Cs coming out this year really don't blow my skirt up. Maybe an OG to replace Peterman (whom I realize isn't the worst player on our OL)? There are some decent OGs coming out this year. I would love to replace Backus, but I doubt we'd get a better player for next year at LT with our current draft slot. I wouldn't want to replace him in the draft with someone that's going to cause the team to regress for a season. We're too close to being good. I would be happy with an OG that can start this year with Peterman on the bench, that eventually slides over to take Doms spot. Dom is over-paid, and is the cause of some of at least some of our OL woes (btw... how'd you guys like that clipping penalty last week? ;-) )...

Given the talent available in the draft, unless someone falls or a great OG is available, I think a CB or LB is actually the best choice if we stay at or around 26.

January 6th, 2012, 8:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next