View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Which Lions team is better? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Which Lions team is better?
1991 12-4 NFC Runners up or this years team?

1991's team was just shy of greatness. But, that team took far longer to put it together than it should have. I think this years team has great potential. But, is 1 year premature. I think the overall talent level is about the same.

December 27th, 2011, 10:19 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Which Lions team is better?
Although we've had some issues this year, this team is still much more consistent than any of Wayne's teams. No seven-game winning streaks required for the coach to keep his job.

December 27th, 2011, 11:03 am
Heisman Winner

This team is better because it wasn't a defining moment but talent that brought them to the playoffs.

That 1991 team lost it's starting QB Peete(insert Kramer) and of course the devastating injury to Mike Utley to emotionally drive them to a fantastic season. They didn't lose a game after that(6-0) till the mauling by the Redskins in the playoffs.

The 91' team played above their talent level and you got the sense that once they played a real good team (like the Skins) that the buck would stop right there. It did. I don't get that same feeling with the 11' team. They can play with everyone IF they don't beat themselves. They are talented enough.

December 27th, 2011, 11:55 am
Pro Bowl Player

I think the league is all about the QB position, and in that regard, we have a quarterback now that can play with anyone else in this league. Kramer was about as elite as Rex Grossman.

Stafford is healthy a.k.a. no glove. The team is seemingly getting healthier as the season goes on. I think at the least right now a win against NYG or Dallas and San Fran is possible.

What happens when / if we get to a Championship game against Packers/someone else is what will begin defining Staffords career.

The Lions are no longer to the point of "one year out". They'll go as far as Stafford will take them each year. So this team is better IMHO.

December 27th, 2011, 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

Last Saturday, the Lions were running full speed on all cylinders from the opening kickoff to the end of the game. They have their MoJo on, and are now considered the "Most Dangerous" team in the playoffs. If the Cardiac Cats play consistent football, there is no reason they can't go deep into the playoffs, or even to the Big Dance!

December 27th, 2011, 2:19 pm

I must confess, I was pretty young back then and that playoff game vs DAL was the first NFL game I ever watched in it's entirety so I can't really answer the question(So I guess I should'nt have responded. lol)

December 27th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I believe this team is better on both sides.
On offense I think this team could keep up with the '91 run and shoot offense.

And I believe the defense is a little better.

If memory serves me correctly didn't Andolseck(sp) get killed in the offseason after '91? he and Utley going out were devastating to the O-line setting them back.

Frok

December 27th, 2011, 3:30 pm
RIP Killer

Who is the QB for each team? There is your answer...

December 27th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

hmmm...91...I was only 4 years old. So im gonna vote this years team because I cant even remember the other. Lol

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm
League MVP

I dont know Im not so sure. That team had six ProBowlers spielman, blades, ball, sanders, brown and gray and the matchups seem to favor them.

At the nose Jerry Ball would be a very tough matchup for Raiola. While the ends and OLBs werent great passrushers, Widenhofer was a good D coordinator who could confuse the current OL with some blitz packages. The secondary was very strong at safety with William White and Bennie Blades. Ray Crockett was an outstanding CB and Terry Taylor and Mel Jenkins werent special but were decent players. Speilman and Jamison were very good LBs but the other LBs Gibson, Hayworth, and Hunter werent better than average.

Offensively the Lions didnt have a great QB but Kramer was a good manager of the game. The receiving corp likewise was weak but the Lions did have a strong OL with Glover, Andolsek, Lomas Brown and for a while Utley and obviously Barry was the man.

The big difference is on special teams where Jim Arnold was an outstanding QB and Mel Gray was one of the best return men ever and could be really dangerous vs the current lions.

If they played I could see Barry running wild especially exposing Levy and the tackling from the secondary but Stafford would have decent time to thrown and be able to expose the 2nd and 3rd CBs but Crockett could at least take away Burleson and Blades could slow down Pettigrew with double coverage. Mel Gray would put the hurt on the special teams unit.

91 team beat a Dallas team that was on the verge of maybe the greatest dynasty ever twice and beat the Bills on the road. I dont think the current team would consistently beat either of those teams let alone the 91 Lions.

December 27th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Well apparently the NFL thinks this team only has one Pro Bowler, so... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

December 27th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Killwill25 wrote:
I must confess, I was pretty young back then and that playoff game vs DAL was the first NFL game I ever watched in it's entirety so I can't really answer the question(So I guess I should'nt have responded. lol)

same here. Been a fan ever since. Does anyone know where a guy can find the footage of us killing Dallas back in 91? I'd love to see it

December 27th, 2011, 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]