View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Compete for #5 seed and Dallas/NYG or rest players? 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Compete for #5 seed and Dallas/NYG or rest players?
So, no that the Lions have locked up a playoff berth, would it be smarter to go all out to try and beat Green Bay and finish 11-5, or should they rest the stars and banged up players?

If they get the #5 seed then they'd travel to Dallas or New York which would probably be a better match-up than traveling to New Orleans or San Francisco. In that case, if they win their wild card game and Atlanta wins its wild card game, then they'd play whichever of New Orleans or San Francisco had the bye instead of going to Lambeau.

On the other hand, their chances of winning any playoff game might be better if they're healthy and well-rested.

If you were Schwartz and your goal were to win your wildcard game, what would you do?

December 26th, 2011, 1:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Compete for #5 seed and Dallas/NYG or rest players?
i would try to win while pummeling aaron rodgers as much as possible before his bye week

December 26th, 2011, 2:51 pm
Afghan Allstar

I think they have to play for the win. We're not an experienced playoff team that can rest players and have them come back the next week ready to go. I think you keep up the momentum we have from the last few weeks.

December 26th, 2011, 3:11 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

i think you have to do both but if Atlanta beats New Orleans tonight, it may swing things towards resting more players next week as Atlanta is likely to beat Tampa next week with anything on the line. If the Lions control their own destiny however it would be prudent to go for the win as their is a big dropoff from playing either the Saints or 49ers if we had the 5 seed or the Giants/Cowboys if we had the 6 seed.

Argument for rest:

The secondary needs some rest there is no question about that - Aaron Berry and Louis Delmas are sorely missed and Chris Houston and Eric Wright are dinged up. I wouldnt rush back Berry or Delmas but if both are ready it would be nice to get their feet wet again. Houston and Wright need to be at full strength if we re going to play a team like New Orleans or Dallas in round 1 and I d consider limiting there workload. On the DL, Nick Fairley shouldnt play more than 10-15 snaps with Fluellen getting some more time. Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young both need some playing time to get back in the swing of things but arent healthy enough to just rest KVB and Avril. At LB, Durant looked like he was completely healthy last week and you d hate to see him get hurt again. I d probably minimize his plays and let Palmer or Carpenter get some time. On offense Kevin Smith needs some rest and is vital, without him teams can completely disregard our run game.

GB is expected to rest its starters so it could be winnable even with us resting a few guys on our defense. It would be very nice to end the Lambeau losing streak especially since there is a chance we face them at full strength in the playoffs and have to try to overtake them in the division next season to have a chance at a playoff home game in the future.

December 26th, 2011, 3:33 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I hate the Idea of playing scared. The Lions haven't won in Lambeau in 20 years. They are breaking all kinds of records. They are looking really good, they just need to keep it rolling, and having fun along the way. Play to win baby.

Last edited by Ferris on December 26th, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 26th, 2011, 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

During Schwartz's press conference today, he said that they were going to play to win. He didn't elaborate whether he would rest injured players though, so who knows? My guess is that he'll hold Delmas back for another week, but everybody else who is close to 100% will play.

December 26th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Pro Bowl Player

slybri19 wrote:
During Schwartz's press conference today, he said that they were going to play to win. He didn't elaborate whether he would rest injured players though, so who knows? My guess is that he'll hold Delmas back for another week, but everybody else who is close to 100% will play.

:cheers:

December 26th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Killwill25 wrote:
i would try to win while pummeling aaron rodgers as much as possible before his bye week

Will Rodgers even be dressed on Sunday?

December 26th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

There's speculation that the Lions signed Joique Bell in order to rest Kevin Smith next weekend. I don't know if that's true, but I wouldn't blame them if they did. However, I hope that everyone who is healthy plays the entire game or atleast until the outcome is known. Let's go for that 5th seed.

December 27th, 2011, 1:09 am

Growler wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Will Rodgers even be dressed on Sunday?

I think so. McCarthy said that GB would play to win so I assume AR will atleast play a half

December 27th, 2011, 1:43 am
All State

They're on a roll right now and I think that have to play to win. I wouldn't mind them sitting Delmas and Smith (especially if Bell is there to take some snaps and give Smith a rest), but I think you have to play all out. Winning in GB (even if it is Matt Flynn and the rest of the 2nd stringers for the 2nd half) would bring some good momentum into the playoffs. Not to mention I'm much less concerned about the Cowboys and Giants (although I think they ARE the better of the 2) then I am the Saints.

December 27th, 2011, 1:51 am
Heisman Winner

One of the last demon's to slay is beating the streak on the road vs. the Packers. Schwartz understands that this team needs to experience as much success as it can if they want to go far in the playoffs. Getting a win at Lambeau is big IMO. If players get dinged up, then sit them down immediately but play to win.

December 27th, 2011, 12:00 pm
Baton Girl

yostevo wrote:
One of the last demon's to slay is beating the streak on the road vs. the Packers. Schwartz understands that this team needs to experience as much success as it can if they want to go far in the playoffs. Getting a win at Lambeau is big IMO. If players get dinged up, then sit them down immediately but play to win.

I agree Yos, but the biggest thing IMO is that they win, get the 5th seed, and play either Dallas or NY. I would rather face either one than possibly New Orleans at the Super Dome for the first game of the playoffs. Get the first game jitters out of the way, then go after the big boys.

December 27th, 2011, 2:26 pm

I'm all for winning twice at Lambaeu.
:cheers:

December 27th, 2011, 2:29 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Always play to win.

December 27th, 2011, 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next