View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 10:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Kindle Fire or Nook Color? 
QB Coach

Post Kindle Fire or Nook Color?
My wife and I are looking at stepping into the 21st Century in terms of these new pieces of equipment. Neither of us are techies, so we are asking for your opinion.

Kindle Fire or Nook Color?

Please give a reason for your preference, and thank you for helping us make this decision.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 28th, 2011, 2:01 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: Kindle Fire or Nook Color?
i am retarded about this stuff but my GF wanted one so i did a little research. What people told me is this:

Kindel is easier to use (through amazon) as far as ordering and online purcheses, but the nook is a better machine and the tech savy can make it do more thing than what a Kindle can do. I guess the Nook has access to more fre books as well but the site where you buy things at isnt as user friendly i guess??

This is all 2nd hand info mind you...I ended up going with an Ipad2 for her as it had the Kendle app so it could do so much more.

December 28th, 2011, 6:05 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

I have a Nook color and love it.

Books are easy to find/read and sturdy yet lightweight.

Major Drawback is the screen is way to sensitive. I have a random issue where it jumps pages and flips out even when nothing is on the screen.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Colbert-

December 28th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I would get the Fire.

Barnes and Noble has a much better chance of going out of business.

December 29th, 2011, 9:01 pm
RIP Killer

If you want a tablet, get a real tablet...ie iPad, zoom, touchpad.

If you want a reader, get a reader.

Ive heard good things about the fire. A coworker has one and he likes it. However, you're limited to amazons fairly half assed apps...

My wife has a nook and stopped using it when she got her iPad, but she likes reading on the nook better, as she says the iPad is harder on the eyes over a long period (I imagine the fire is the same way based on the design).

December 30th, 2011, 12:32 am

The Fire is not a reader, its a full-fledged tablet.

Its an economy one--smaller, less features--but it runs a modified version of Android so you can get most Apps.

December 30th, 2011, 8:46 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
The Fire is not a reader, its a full-fledged tablet.

Its an economy one--smaller, less features--but it runs a modified version of Android so you can get most Apps.

I'm aware, but it's kind of a half-assed version of a tablet IMO (that's based of the videos I've seen of it in action and talking to people who own one, not actually using it myself)

December 30th, 2011, 9:25 pm

My gf has one. Its an ok device. If you're going to use the tablet to replace your laptop entirely, get the ipad. But the fire is less than 50% of the cost of one, so if you're still using your laptop primarily I think the fire is very good for the money.

December 31st, 2011, 1:15 pm
QB Coach

Thanks fellas the fire arrived today

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 31st, 2011, 6:28 pm

Barnes & Noble announced that they are "considering" selling their Nook division. Their stock tanked about 20% today.

*pats self on back*

January 6th, 2012, 12:12 am
RIP Killer

Umm, how exactly is them selling it a bad thing?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketc ... -news.html

January 6th, 2012, 12:38 am

Did you actually read that link? From your link:

Quote:
Initially, B&N projected earnings before taxes, interest, depreciation and amortization (EBTIDA) of $210 million to $250 million. In December, the guidance offered was at “the lower end” of that figure. Now the company has revised its expectations again, to just $150 to $180 million. So after taxes and other non-operating expenses, B&N will most likely lose quite a bit of money, somewhere between $1.10 to $1.40 per share.

The drop in demand for the Nook Simple Touch and the cost of advertising the other Nook devices takes most of the blame for the drop in expected profit.

They are selling it to raise cash because their company is collapsing.

January 6th, 2012, 12:42 am
RIP Killer

Yes, you're interpreting what is actually not written. What it says, if you actually read it, is that the cost of advertising in order to make it successful (which it is, outside of the touch) and the drop in demand (partly due to an already large drop in advertising), is driving down the profits. Nowhere does it say the company is collapsing. Of course you're going to show a loss when you're trying to build an entirely new division within a company, that's not rocket science, especially when it's done with outside investing and not lingering profit.

It's just like the Microsoft zune. Good product that couldn't hang with the iPod monopoly. Does that make it a bad product? Microsoft lost money the same way for the same reasons. Did you also interpret that issue as Microsoft collapsing too?

Them selling the brand would be good for them and the brand.

January 6th, 2012, 1:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]