View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 1:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Saints - PLAYOFFS 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Saints - PLAYOFFS
slybri19 wrote:
I just merged georgechuvalo's latest two new topics into this one. How many more must we endure tonight? Over/under anyone?

Obviously, the refs screwed the Lions yet again, but I place most of the blame on the defense. They didn't force a single punt by the Saints and missed too many tackles to count. Losing Houston early hurt since it forced Alphonzo Smith onto the field and he was his usual non-covering self. Time to blow up the defense if the Lions expect to improve next season.

Agreed. I am completely sick of 1 sided reffing though.

January 8th, 2012, 12:26 am
RIP Killer

The Lions didn't embarass themselves and the game ended up about where most expected. Should be a good learning experience for the young players on the team. Obvoiusly the defense needs some work but there are some pieces there.

Bright future for the Lions, thanks for the fun season!

January 8th, 2012, 12:28 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Besides my rant in my last post, I forgot to mention, who teaches us to tackle? Because obviously the Lions are severely lacking at the most fundamental part of defense. Tackle Pierre Thomas on any of his screens and it's a different ballgame.

January 8th, 2012, 12:31 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

slybri19 wrote:
I just merged georgechuvalo's latest two new topics into this one. How many more must we endure tonight? Over/under anyone?

Obviously, the refs screwed the Lions yet again, but I place most of the blame on the defense. They didn't force a single punt by the Saints and missed too many tackles to count. Losing Houston early hurt since it forced Alphonzo Smith onto the field and he was his usual non-covering self. Time to blow up the defense if the Lions expect to improve next season.

I don't think Houston would have made any difference. We need a real SS to pair with Delmas, as well as better Liinebackers. We haven't stopped a running game all year.

January 8th, 2012, 12:32 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

A few missed calls but the game can't be pinned on the officials. The Lions couldn't tackle and repeatedly failed to take advantage of the opportunities they were given. Great teams make you pay for your mistakes and the Lions didn't do that tonight.

There's some work to do on the back end of the defense in the off-season. And building a running game on offense will help keep QBs like Brees and Rodgers on the sidelines instead of on the field. When New Orleans had that six-minute drive in the second half, the value of a balanced offense became very clear. They gassed our defense on that drive and we didn't have a prayer after that.

January 8th, 2012, 12:49 am
RIP Killer

http://www.lionbacker.com/index.asp?id= ... 07-recapwc

recap is up. Thanks for the memories 2011 Lions!

January 8th, 2012, 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

slybri19 wrote:

The offense could have performed a little better, but it's unreasonable to expect more than another touchdown out of our offense considering how little help they had from the defense. Our defense allowed touchdowns on five straight possessions. Six straight possessions if you count the final drive during garbage time. Heck, the only time our defense prevented the Saints from scoring was on the two drives where the Saints fumbled the ball. If they hadn't fumbled on those two plays they might have scored on every possession.

In the offseason I'm not sure if the focus should be on solidifying the running backs, starting the offensive line rebuilding process, or an overhaul of the linebacking corps and secondary. Assuming that they can resign Tulloch and Durant, we need another starting linebacker, a cover corner, and a safety who can cover.

January 8th, 2012, 2:58 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Growler wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

The offense could have performed a little better, but it's unreasonable to expect more than another touchdown out of our offense considering how little help they had from the defense. Our defense allowed touchdowns on five straight possessions. Six straight possessions if you count the final drive during garbage time. Heck, the only time our defense prevented the Saints from scoring was on the two drives where the Saints fumbled the ball. If they hadn't fumbled on those two plays they might have scored on every possession.

In the offseason I'm not sure if the focus should be on solidifying the running backs, starting the offensive line rebuilding process, or an overhaul of the linebacking corps and secondary. Assuming that they can resign Tulloch and Durant, we need another starting linebacker, a cover corner, and a safety who can cover.

yes to everything. The offseason can't come soon enough for me

January 8th, 2012, 3:17 am
Stadium Announcer

Growler wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Sounds good for starters, but what about Best he has problems with being hurt, and what about Backus, he had a good year but he is another year older next year, and did you notice he went out with a looked like injury, I do not like Durant at all, Berry, Smith, not sold on houston we have a lot of holes to plug up not sure if it can be done in a year, I would have to say 3 yrs looks more realistic.

January 8th, 2012, 6:47 am
Veteran General Manager

Growler wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

How could there be any doubt about what part of the team should receive the most attention this off season? After the Packers and Saints. The LBers and DB's have got to be overhauled.

Last edited by BillySims on January 8th, 2012, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 8th, 2012, 10:05 am
Veteran General Manager

georgechuvalo wrote:
Growler wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Sounds good for starters, but what about Best he has problems with being hurt, and what about Backus, he had a good year but he is another year older next year, and did you notice he went out with a looked like injury, I do not like Durant at all, Berry, Smith, not sold on houston we have a lot of holes to plug up not sure if it can be done in a year, I would have to say 3 yrs looks more realistic.

3 years?????

Are you insane? There is nothing wrong with the Lions that can't be fixed in 1 off season. You can't have pro bowlers at every spot. We just need upgraded at LB and DB.

January 8th, 2012, 10:08 am
Towel Boy

Raiders fan here.

Just wanted to chime in on how bad that game was fixed. I was rooting for you guys, i hate nfl pampered teams, saints, packers, patriots, ect.

You guys are missing the point, it doesn't matter if the lions are playing sh!tty defense, if the officiating is fair you guys are still in the game and probably win.

First off the that whistle on the fumble was obvious bullsh!t. The ball being placed on the 18 when it obviously should have been placed on the 17, resulting in a 1st down when it should have been 4th, why the f*ck was that not challenged! No holding calls on the saints when there was numerous, they probably would have only scored half the points had some of those been called. Then a holding call on the lions on a crucial drive, of course! Also how in hell does that dipsh!t ref who is 5 ft. away from colston call that a touchdown when it obviously wasn't, then just for safe measure he throws flag a on a BULLSH!T hit to the head, so now it's 1st down on the 6!!!!!!!!!!!!
F*cking disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what I have to watch every sunday with the raiders. I truelly believe you guys would have won that game, but the refs take the wind out of a team when they do this.

Thanks for letting me vent, better luck next year.

January 8th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

skinzoil wrote:
Raiders fan here.

Just wanted to chime in on how bad that game was fixed. I was rooting for you guys, i hate nfl pampered teams, saints, packers, patriots, ect.

You guys are missing the point, it doesn't matter if the lions are playing sh!tty defense, if the officiating is fair you guys are still in the game and probably win.

First off the that whistle on the fumble was obvious bullsh!t. The ball being placed on the 18 when it obviously should have been placed on the 17, resulting in a 1st down when it should have been 4th, why the f*ck was that not challenged! No holding calls on the saints when there was numerous, they probably would have only scored half the points had some of those been called. Then a holding call on the lions on a crucial drive, of course! Also how in hell does that dipsh!t ref who is 5 ft. away from colston call that a touchdown when it obviously wasn't, then just for safe measure he throws flag a on a BULLSH!T hit to the head, so now it's 1st down on the 6!!!!!!!!!!!!
F*cking disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what I have to watch every sunday with the raiders. I truelly believe you guys would have won that game, but the refs take the wind out of a team when they do this.

No. Thank YOU for the support!

January 8th, 2012, 6:31 pm
Team MVP

skinzoil wrote:
Raiders fan here.

Thanks for the support! Even though our defense played horrible, i have to agree that it seems like the refs just have it out for us. I cant count the number of times there should have been a holding call on the Saints, but it NEVER gets called.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 8th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Hall of Fame Player

mwill2 wrote:
A few missed calls but the game can't be pinned on the officials. The Lions couldn't tackle and repeatedly failed to take advantage of the opportunities they were given. Great teams make you pay for your mistakes and the Lions didn't do that tonight.

There's some work to do on the back end of the defense in the off-season. And building a running game on offense will help keep QBs like Brees and Rodgers on the sidelines instead of on the field. When New Orleans had that six-minute drive in the second half, the value of a balanced offense became very clear. They gassed our defense on that drive and we didn't have a prayer after that.

100% accurate! I agree completely!

January 8th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next