View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 1:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Saints - PLAYOFFS 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Saints - PLAYOFFS
skinzoil wrote:
Raiders fan here.

Just wanted to chime in on how bad that game was fixed. I was rooting for you guys, i hate nfl pampered teams, saints, packers, patriots, ect.

You guys are missing the point, it doesn't matter if the lions are playing sh!tty defense, if the officiating is fair you guys are still in the game and probably win.

First off the that whistle on the fumble was obvious bullsh!t. The ball being placed on the 18 when it obviously should have been placed on the 17, resulting in a 1st down when it should have been 4th, why the f*ck was that not challenged! No holding calls on the saints when there was numerous, they probably would have only scored half the points had some of those been called. Then a holding call on the lions on a crucial drive, of course! Also how in hell does that dipsh!t ref who is 5 ft. away from colston call that a touchdown when it obviously wasn't, then just for safe measure he throws flag a on a BULLSH!T hit to the head, so now it's 1st down on the 6!!!!!!!!!!!!
F*cking disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what I have to watch every sunday with the raiders. I truelly believe you guys would have won that game, but the refs take the wind out of a team when they do this.

Thanks for letting me vent, better luck next year.

Thank you for the support! :cheers:

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 9th, 2012, 1:58 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Quote:
Sounds good for starters, but what about Best he has problems with being hurt, and what about Backus, he had a good year but he is another year older next year, and did you notice he went out with a looked like injury, I do not like Durant at all, Berry, Smith, not sold on houston we have a lot of holes to plug up not sure if it can be done in a year, I would have to say 3 yrs looks more realistic.

of course you dont like those players, you have no idea what you are watching. Durant, Berry and Houston had solid seasons and all are better than their counterparts on the Saints. Smith was bad and cant be lumped with the others.

January 9th, 2012, 2:18 am
3rd Round Selection

Can't complain about that season - booked a playoff berth and (IMO) looked like we belonged there against NO. We've finally found a franchise QB, at a time when the NFL has become more pass oriented than ever, and we have the game's best target to go along with him. The future looks pretty bright for the Lions.

The missed interceptions killed us on Saturday, along with the horrible call on the Brees fumble. We make those interceptions and it's maybe a different game. The fumble call was particularly galling given the supposed approach of "make the call/no call that allows the play to be reviewed" that cost us our challenges vs GB but that apparently doesn't apply to Detroit (TY touchdown vs GB, No fumble). The third down spot didn't help us either, along with holding apparently only applying to our Oline.

Still, I think NO are the better team. Question for next season, to me, is where to put our efforts this season? Look to improve the Oline and RB spots to generate a more balanced offense that can win shootouts (seems to be the trend for the NFL, looking at NO, GB and the Patriots) or look to improve the defence? Personally, I think both are viable strategies and I would simply go after the players that offer the best bang for the buck and that are available to us in FA or the draft, almost regardless of which side of the ball they play on.

January 9th, 2012, 8:38 am
RIP Killer

I am convinced....CONVINCED...that the NFL desperately wants a Green Bay-New Orleans showdown for the NFC Championship game. The officiating, or lack thereof, points directly towards that end. There is no doubt in my mind that the Lions could have won against the Saints. Did the officiating cost them the game? Perhaps. But there is something else to consider.

In both the Green Bay and New Orleans game, the Detroit defense got exposed in a big way. What got exposed was the weakness in coverage down the middle of the field. Basically, Tulloch and our safeties. It also exposed the fact that the Lions were too damn stubborn for their own good in both games. Gunner and Schwartz refuse to blitz despite the fact that the front four weren't getting enough pressure. Combine that with the poor coverage in the middle of the field, and you have the result....45 points scored against the Lions for two weeks in a row.

Now, I like our front four on defense, and I think they do a very good job of pressuring the QB. However, sometimes that's just not enough and something else has to be done. Give any QB in this league, backup or otherwise, enough time in the pocket and they will find the open man. Matt Flynn is Exhibit A in that respect. Backup QB, minimal experience, lack of pressure.....6 TD passes thrown.

When it comes down to it, the Lions had a very good season....a season many people predicted. Realistically nobody really thought the Lions were headed to the Super Bowl this year. However, if the Lions are to take the next step, things are going to have to change, both on offense and defense. There has to be more flexibility in the schemes. Along with the obvious improvements in personnel, the approach to the game by the coordinators HAS to change. I like Gunner, I like Schwartz, not too crazy about Linehan. But the hard headedness of rushing only four and not blitzing hurt this team the last two weeks. KC beat New Orleans by blitzing the snot out of Brees, and he crumbled. Flynn is a green QB, and the universal approach to playing against a green QB is to pressure him into oblivion. The Lions didn't do that, and it cost them.

Also, I will add one more thing.....Louis Delmas sucks. Not only is he a distinct liability in coverage, his tackling skills are deplorable. He missed no less than five tackles in the New Orleans game, at least three of which gave the Saints a first down on third and long situations. He doesn't use his arms, dips his shoulder without keeping his head up, and most of the time simply bounces off the ball carrier. Amari Spievey is not much better. For this defense to become that much better, these two guys either need to improve their games, or need to be replaced by safeties who know how to cover, and who are reliable tacklers.

January 9th, 2012, 9:59 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Thank you M2, I've been anything but impressed with Delmas from the start. He's undersized and doesn't have any qualities that make up for his lack of size. He doesn't have the quickness, instincts, or read and react ability to be consistant enough in deep coverage or cover the better TEs in the league. He lacks the strength to shed blocks in the box and is a big reason he tries to lower the boom instead of wrapping and tackling. He has been given the benefit of the doubt because he's a big rah rah guy that a lot of fans tend to like.

I wasn't completely sold on Tulloch either and have never been a fan of Durant as far as being an upgrade over Carpenter. Tulloch is adequate and better than any MLB the Lions have had since Boyd but in today's NFL he's a two down guy at best. Durant was okay against the run but was lost in coverage especially in zone coverage. Out of the two I wish it was Tulloch that got the two year deal instead of Durant. I believe Levy is a FA and I say have fun finding a new home.

January 9th, 2012, 1:52 pm
Modmin Dude

With all due respect to the "Conspiracy theorists" here, I wholeheartedly disagree the refs costs the Lions anything. They had 2 turnovers and did not capitalize, was that the refs fault or perhaps the players not executing? Me thinks the latter. The defense didn't stop the Saints once in the 2nd half...think about that for a minute. The only time the Saints didn't score a TD in 2nd half was at the end of the game, when they were on the 1 or so, and they knelt down. Goodness knows they had plenty of 3rd/4th & short but just couldn't do it. Were the refs also playing defense for the Lions? Once again I would say the players didn't execute. Not too mention blaming the refs kinda sounds like something a crybaby or perhaps Bear's fan might do. :wink:

January 9th, 2012, 5:42 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

TheRealWags wrote:
With all due respect to the "Conspiracy theorists" here, I wholeheartedly disagree the refs costs the Lions anything. They had 2 turnovers and did not capitalize, was that the refs fault or perhaps the players not executing? Me thinks the latter. The defense didn't stop the Saints once in the 2nd half...think about that for a minute. The only time the Saints didn't score a TD in 2nd half was at the end of the game, when they were on the 1 or so, and they knelt down. Goodness knows they had plenty of 3rd/4th & short but just couldn't do it. Were the refs also playing defense for the Lions? Once again I would say the players didn't execute. Not too mention blaming the refs kinda sounds like something a crybaby or perhaps Bear's fan might do. :wink:

I have to agree with Wags on the N.O. game. the green bay game on the other hand...I dont know if I've seen worse officiating.

January 9th, 2012, 6:46 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

TheRealWags wrote:

I agree. Calls are missed in every game. We can't complain about missed calls in this game and ignore the fact that Levy committed an obvious face mask vs. the Vikings that should have cost us the game. It's certainly tough when calls are missed but the Lions weren't one call away from winning in New Orleans. That offense took our defense to the woodshed. If you want to keep the officials from making a difference in the game, the best approach is to crush your opponent so a bad call or two won't affect the outcome.

January 9th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Hall of Fame Player

UK Lion wrote:
Can't complain about that season - booked a playoff berth and (IMO) looked like we belonged there against NO. We've finally found a franchise QB, at a time when the NFL has become more pass oriented than ever, and we have the game's best target to go along with him. The future looks pretty bright for the Lions.

The missed interceptions killed us on Saturday, along with the horrible call on the Brees fumble. We make those interceptions and it's maybe a different game. The fumble call was particularly galling given the supposed approach of "make the call/no call that allows the play to be reviewed" that cost us our challenges vs GB but that apparently doesn't apply to Detroit (TY touchdown vs GB, No fumble). The third down spot didn't help us either, along with holding apparently only applying to our Oline.

Still, I think NO are the better team. Question for next season, to me, is where to put our efforts this season? Look to improve the Oline and RB spots to generate a more balanced offense that can win shootouts (seems to be the trend for the NFL, looking at NO, GB and the Patriots) or look to improve the defence? Personally, I think both are viable strategies and I would simply go after the players that offer the best bang for the buck and that are available to us in FA or the draft, almost regardless of which side of the ball they play on.

We can win with the Offense as is. We should be able to fix our back 7 on Defense relatively cheap through FA and the draft. So, I say we go that route.

January 9th, 2012, 8:02 pm
3rd Round Selection

mwill and wags - I agree, the refs did not cost us this game.

But the following is concerning:

1. ball pops out when Scheffler is tackled vs GB - refs allow play to continue, apparently on the basis that when in doubt they tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

2. ball pops out when Logan is tackled vs GB - refs allow play to continue, apparently on the basis that when in doubt they tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

3. TY catches TD pass vs GB - ref signals no score, contrary to the approach that when in doubt you tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

4. Nelson fumbles punt fair catch vs GB - refs blow play dead, contrary to the approach that when in doubt you tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

5. Brees fumbles vs NO and the Lions recover - one ref blows play dead (ruled inadvertant whistle) preventing the Lions from returning the fumble and which should have actually kept the ball with NO, contrary to the approach that when in doubt you tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed; and

6. NO player (Meecham?) drops pass in the endzone - ref calls the play a TD, apparently on the basis that when in doubt they tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed.

That's a series of 6 plays over two games where in every single call the Lions' opposition received the benefit of the doubt, whilst the Lions did not. That's a worrying sequence of events, to me in two of the Lions' biggest games in a long time. And that's before you get to the two rediculously generous spots to keep one Saints drive alive (one giving them a free yard that the receiver never had, the other giving Brees forward progress despite his backwards movement being entirely voluntary). No, it didn't knock us out of the playoffs (the NO offense and our defense did that) but it does concern me as to whether there is a small inherent bias against the Lions in officiating crews minds when coming up against the league/media darling teams.

That's different to a conspiracy (they're deliberately out to shaft us) - just saying that there may be a tendency, which the officials are not even aware of, to give the benefit of the doubt more to the bigger teams.

January 10th, 2012, 6:39 am
Mr. Irrelevant

UK Lion wrote:

1. ball pops out when Scheffler is tackled vs GB - refs allow play to continue, apparently on the basis that when in doubt they tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

2. ball pops out when Logan is tackled vs GB - refs allow play to continue, apparently on the basis that when in doubt they tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

3. TY catches TD pass vs GB - ref signals no score, contrary to the approach that when in doubt you tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

4. Nelson fumbles punt fair catch vs GB - refs blow play dead, contrary to the approach that when in doubt you tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed;

5. Brees fumbles vs NO and the Lions recover - one ref blows play dead (ruled inadvertant whistle) preventing the Lions from returning the fumble and which should have actually kept the ball with NO, contrary to the approach that when in doubt you tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed; and

6. NO player (Meecham?) drops pass in the endzone - ref calls the play a TD, apparently on the basis that when in doubt they tend towards the approach that is able to be reviewed.

That's a series of 6 plays over two games where in every single call the Lions' opposition received the benefit of the doubt, whilst the Lions did not. That's a worrying sequence of events, to me in two of the Lions' biggest games in a long time. And that's before you get to the two rediculously generous spots to keep one Saints drive alive (one giving them a free yard that the receiver never had, the other giving Brees forward progress despite his backwards movement being entirely voluntary). No, it didn't knock us out of the playoffs (the NO offense and our defense did that) but it does concern me as to whether there is a small inherent bias against the Lions in officiating crews minds when coming up against the league/media darling teams.

That's different to a conspiracy (they're deliberately out to shaft us) - just saying that there may be a tendency, which the officials are not even aware of, to give the benefit of the doubt more to the bigger teams.

Boom. Headshot.

All NFL referees can go suck on an iron stick.

January 10th, 2012, 3:16 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I am convinced....CONVINCED...that the NFL desperately wants a Green Bay-New Orleans showdown for the NFC Championship game. The officiating, or lack thereof, points directly towards that end. There is no doubt in my mind that the Lions could have won against the Saints. Did the officiating cost them the game? Perhaps. But there is something else to consider.

In both the Green Bay and New Orleans game, the Detroit defense got exposed in a big way. What got exposed was the weakness in coverage down the middle of the field. Basically, Tulloch and our safeties. It also exposed the fact that the Lions were too damn stubborn for their own good in both games. Gunner and Schwartz refuse to blitz despite the fact that the front four weren't getting enough pressure. Combine that with the poor coverage in the middle of the field, and you have the result....45 points scored against the Lions for two weeks in a row.

Now, I like our front four on defense, and I think they do a very good job of pressuring the QB. However, sometimes that's just not enough and something else has to be done. Give any QB in this league, backup or otherwise, enough time in the pocket and they will find the open man. Matt Flynn is Exhibit A in that respect. Backup QB, minimal experience, lack of pressure.....6 TD passes thrown.

When it comes down to it, the Lions had a very good season....a season many people predicted. Realistically nobody really thought the Lions were headed to the Super Bowl this year. However, if the Lions are to take the next step, things are going to have to change, both on offense and defense. There has to be more flexibility in the schemes. Along with the obvious improvements in personnel, the approach to the game by the coordinators HAS to change. I like Gunner, I like Schwartz, not too crazy about Linehan. But the hard headedness of rushing only four and not blitzing hurt this team the last two weeks. KC beat New Orleans by blitzing the snot out of Brees, and he crumbled. Flynn is a green QB, and the universal approach to playing against a green QB is to pressure him into oblivion. The Lions didn't do that, and it cost them.

Also, I will add one more thing.....Louis Delmas sucks. Not only is he a distinct liability in coverage, his tackling skills are deplorable. He missed no less than five tackles in the New Orleans game, at least three of which gave the Saints a first down on third and long situations. He doesn't use his arms, dips his shoulder without keeping his head up, and most of the time simply bounces off the ball carrier. Amari Spievey is not much better. For this defense to become that much better, these two guys either need to improve their games, or need to be replaced by safeties who know how to cover, and who are reliable tacklers.

Delusional post

January 10th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Footsoldier32 wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Boom. Headshot.

All NFL referees can go suck on an iron stick.

January 12th, 2012, 5:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Thoe officials had absolutely no business reffing an NFL playoff game

January 12th, 2012, 9:46 pm

UK Lion wrote:

please post this here http://twitter.com/nflcommish

January 12th, 2012, 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4