View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Pro Bowl 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Pro Bowl
Lions2SB2 wrote:
Pro bowl is a joke and waste of time. You know, I wonder what ratings are for this game, some odd reason I think it's low.

Remind me and I'll look it up two days after the game.

January 6th, 2012, 8:56 pm
League MVP

I do believe you are right. I seem to remember it being the lowest rating football game of the year.

January 7th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Bubbles the Lion

regularjoe12 wrote:
I do believe you are right. I seem to remember it being the lowest rating football game of the year.

They need to change the timing of it. When you exclude every player that made it to the superbowl, you are taking out the players for the 2 best teams in the NFL.

I really don't know what else they could do though. No one is going to want to play after the superbowl, and it obviously isn't going to happen midyear like other sports due to injury concerns.

January 7th, 2012, 5:30 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

I have said this for years.. The Pro Bowl should take the place of the hall of fame game as the first game played for the next sason.. Why give two teams a extra preseason game?? It would have alot more attention because guys have waited all off season to play, and all the SB players could attend also..

January 8th, 2012, 11:27 am
League MVP

its not as big of a reward to spend a week in honululu in the middle of the summer not to mention that waiting until the offseason after player movement, etc would have distaste in mouth of fans. imagine if calvin johnson left in free agency and then in august you got to watch him in a bears helmet celebrating the season he had with the lions.

A for creativity, much lower for thinking it through "for years"

January 8th, 2012, 11:38 am
Pop Warner Vet

I honestly don't know anyone who actually watches the pro bowl anymore

January 9th, 2012, 1:27 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
I honestly don't know anyone who actually watches the pro bowl anymore

Now you do. :)

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 9th, 2012, 3:06 pm
Varsity Captain

yeah its tough to watch. guys playing patty cake and holding each other up.. not even trying to tackle.. last years was a joke. i think rocky mcntyre was the only one trying to tackle anybody. i say the teams, coaches and writers should vote after week 17. Avril (my son) should be there too 8)

January 11th, 2012, 9:22 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
BestAtMadden wrote:
yeah its tough to watch. guys playing patty cake and holding each other up.. not even trying to tackle.. last years was a joke. i think rocky mcntyre was the only one trying to tackle anybody. i say the teams, coaches and writers should vote after week 17. Avril (my son) should be there too 8)

It's like that in every sport though besides baseball.

Hockey- No checking
Basketball- ZERO defense
Football- Patty cake

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 12th, 2012, 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

* check.. it was london fletcher last year trying waaay too hard in the pro bowl to hit guys hard and tackle.. stood out like a sore thumb.
if the nfl added some incentives (like baseball) it may be more interesting to watch the probowl. i know the home team advantage thing does not work, but maybe winning team splits a few million dollars or some thing like that would work. the voting is a sham too. complete bs..

January 12th, 2012, 2:14 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
BestAtMadden wrote:
* check.. it was london fletcher last year trying waaay too hard in the pro bowl to hit guys hard and tackle.. stood out like a sore thumb.
if the nfl added some incentives (like baseball) it may be more interesting to watch the probowl. i know the home team advantage thing does not work, but maybe winning team splits a few million dollars or some thing like that would work. the voting is a sham too. complete bs..

The best way I think you can do is if NFC wins pro bowl, then the super bowl should be at a NFC stadium.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 12th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

yeah, but even that would be weird.. who wants to do a super bowl in green bay in feb?? i get it. probowl is a vacation for our nfl studs.
and i cant remember the last time a superbowl was played in a cold climate city. except a domed field like detroit. talk about horrid reffing.. wow the seahawks got screwed.. lol (whole different story) and i feel sorry for no other nfl team.. ever.. lol

money would have to be the incentive. then have the players vote to see who makes the squad. + vote on their coaches too. winner take all format or something to stack the incentives up on winning the game. bet the ratings would sore!! we may have something here.. I vote for Conversion02 to arrange the whole thing :arrow:

January 12th, 2012, 2:35 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This is rather disappointing:
Mlive wrote:
Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson will not participate in NFL Pro Bowl
Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 6:35 PM Updated: Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 9:35 PM
By Anwar S. Richardson | MLive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson will not participate in this year's Pro Bowl, according to the NFL.

Johnson sustained an Achilles injury late this season and played through pain. He caught for 200-or-more yards in three of Detroit's last four games, but apparently will use the offseason to recover instead of risking further injury.

As a result, Atlanta receiver Roddy White was added to the NFC Pro Bowl team.

Johnson had 96 catches for 1,681 yards and 16 touchdowns during the regular season, which were career highs for him. He also had 12 catches for 211 yards and two touchdowns in Detroit's playoff loss against New Orleans earlier this week.

Another logical reason Johnson does not want to play in the Pro Bowl is because an injury could hurt negotiations with Detroit this offseason.

Johnson is about to enter the final season of his contract. Johnson made $8.875 million in 2011, is slated to make $14 million next season, but Detroit may be forced to give him an extension.

With Johnson out, Detroit currently does not have any players slated to play in Hawaii on January 29.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/01/detroit_lions_receiver_calvin_11.html

January 12th, 2012, 3:56 pm
RIP Killer

Some points I'd like to make:

1. I agree that NO TEAM should have anything in the contracts tied to a player making the Pro Bowl. Being an All Pro is something completely different. However, incentives in contracts should be tied strictly to on-field performance, not anything voted on.

2. Who cares if Stafford, or Avril or Suh or any of the Lions were or were not voted into the Pro Bowl? We know what they can do, we know the seasons they had. I care what they do for the Lions, not that they may have a chance to participate in a joke of a meaningless game. I don't need the vote of a bunch of blind New Yorkers to tell me what I already know, that Matt Stafford has more talent in his left arm than Eli Manning will ever have in his right arm. What hurts me more is the fact that Tim Tebow officially has a playoff win under his belt, and Stafford does not.

3. Try as you might, there is simply no way to make the Pro Bowl meaningful and get good player participation, as well as significant fan interest. Time of the year, venue, voting rules, etc. it won't matter. It's the same as the pre-season games....teams play them to prepare for what matters, and that's the regular season. That and the playoffs is all that matters.

January 26th, 2012, 9:22 am
League MVP

Quote:
2. Who cares if Stafford, or Avril or Suh or any of the Lions were or were not voted into the Pro Bowl? We know what they can do, we know the seasons they had. I care what they do for the Lions, not that they may have a chance to participate in a joke of a meaningless game. I don't need the vote of a bunch of blind New Yorkers to tell me what I already know, that Matt Stafford has more talent in his left arm than Eli Manning will ever have in his right arm. What hurts me more is the fact that Tim Tebow officially has a playoff win under his belt, and Stafford does not.

I dunno..I would like to see a couple of our guys there if for no other reason than it would be good for recruiting free agents. Making buddies with a bro bowl CB free agent is nothing but a plus in my book.

January 26th, 2012, 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next