View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 10:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Ron Paul to propose $1T in specific budget cuts 
Modmin Dude

Post Ron Paul to propose $1T in specific budget cuts
Politico wrote:
Ron Paul to propose $1T in specific budget cuts

By DAN HIRSCHHORN | 10/17/11 5:06 AM EDT

Ron Paul’s opinions about cutting the budget are well-known, but on Monday, he’ll get specific: the Texas congressman will lay out a budget blueprint for deep and far-reaching cuts to federal spending, including the elimination of five cabinet-level departments and the drawdown of American troops fighting overseas.

There will even be a symbolic readjustment of the president’s own salary to put it in line with the average American salary.

During an afternoon speech in Las Vegas ahead of Tuesday’s debate, Paul will say that his plan for $1 trillion in cuts will create a balanced federal budget by the third year of his presidency.

“Dr. Paul is the only candidate with a plan to cut spending and truly balance the budget,” says an executive summary of the plan, which POLITICO obtained, along with detailed spending and taxation levels, ahead of its release. “This is the only plan that will deliver what America needs in these difficult times: Major regulatory relief, large spending cuts, sound monetary policy, and a balanced budget.”

Many of the ideas are familiar from Paul’s staunch libertarianism, as well as tea party favorites like eliminating the departments of education and energy. But Paul goes further: he’ll propose immediately freezing spending by numerous government agencies at 2006 levels, the last time Republicans had complete control of the federal budget, and drastically reducing spending elsewhere. The EPA would see a 30 percent cut, the Food and Drug Administration would see one of 40 percent and foreign aid would be zeroed out immediately. He’d also take an ax to Pentagon funding for wars.

Medicaid, the children’s health insurance program, food stamps, family support programs and the children’s nutrition program would all be block-granted to the states and removed from the mandatory spending column of the federal budget. Some functions of eliminated departments, such as Pell Grants, would be continued elsewhere in the federal bureaucracy.

And in a noticeable nod to seniors during an election year when Social Security’s become an issue within the Republican primary, the campaign says that plan “honors our promise to our seniors and veterans, while allowing young workers to opt out.”

The federal workforce would be reduced by 10 percent, and the president’s pay would be cut to $39,336 — a level that the Paul document notes is “approximately equal to the median personal income of the American worker.”

Paul would also make far-reaching changes to federal tax policy, reducing the top corporate income tax rate to 15 percent, eliminating capital gains and dividends taxes, and allowing for repatriation of overseas capital without tax penalties. All Bush-era tax cuts would be extended.

And like the rest of his GOP rivals, Paul would repeal President Barack Obama’s health care reform law, along with the Dodd-Frank financial regulatory reform law enacted last year. Paul, a longtime Federal Reserve critic, would also push a full audit of the central bank, as well as legislation to “strengthen the dollar and stabilize inflation.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/10 ... z1b34mXTGx

October 17th, 2011, 10:17 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Ron Paul to propose $1T in specific budget cuts
when the biggest problems our country faces today are financial...THIS GUY is our guy!!!

October 17th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I'll drink to that :cheers:

Frok

October 17th, 2011, 8:15 pm
Like I said, I like his policies, but he'll never get elected, and he comes across poorly in presence. Additionally, many of his ideas are too grandious to work (rash elimination of whole govt. agencies... I like it, but they'll likely have to be scaled back and slowly defunded).

October 18th, 2011, 10:35 am
IMO the worst thing that happened this month is going to be Ron Paul's recent relative success and resurgence in politics. Now more than ever he's going to be convinced to run as a 3rd party candidate, and now more than ever he is going to cost this country dearly.

January 11th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Varsity 1st Team

wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO the worst thing that happened this month is going to be Ron Paul's recent relative success and resurgence in politics. Now more than ever he's going to be convinced to run as a 3rd party candidate, and now more than ever he is going to cost this country dearly.

ya, took 2nd in N.H.
Would like to see him get the nod but just don't think he will. Unless the media gets on the wagon but they seem to be told to go with the pretty boy.

frok

January 11th, 2012, 5:32 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

anyone remember H. Ross Perro (sp?) short ugly guy that didnt look the part but was a shoe-in for winnning the election untill he dropped out?

Yeah...the lesson is that if someone who actually knows what the heck they are doing, they CAN be dominant in the polls. If he didnt quit that election everything we know about current politics would be different. I'm not saying that it's a guarentee that Paul would do the same, but its FAR from imposible. HRP proved it's possible.

I am not listening to the BS about Ron would steal votes from the republicans and Obama would guarentee win. Fact is the republicans would be stealing votes from HIM. He is by far the best candidate they have. Romney is Obama 2.0, Newt I have no trust in, No way am I ready for another Texas govna, and well... I don't I dont know about the newest guy to become a media darling to state an opinion one way or another. But I have never heard of the support that Ron Paul has for as long as he's had it.

With no Palin he SHOULD have the tea party vote, Anyone Libertarian should ADORE the guy, and anyone who recognizes how financially messed this country is should have his full support.

Stop the fear and be brave and Vote for the best guy....don't fear this "throwing your vote away" crap. thats nothing more than propaganda. force fed to us by a very affraid republican party. (and they should be affraid...this batch of nominees are a joke IMO...every bit as bad as the chumps the democrats threw at "W's" 2nd election.)

January 11th, 2012, 6:27 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Like I said, I like his policies, but he'll never get elected, and he comes across poorly in presence. Additionally, many of his ideas are too grandious to work (rash elimination of whole govt. agencies... I like it, but they'll likely have to be scaled back and slowly defunded).

If you vote like he will never get elected.... then he won't get elected.

I sincerely hope the Mormon doesn't win. He can't even be honest about his religion. Mormons are not Christian. But, they claim to be Christian.

January 11th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Look, if you think this country is fine and just needs a minor directional change, then OK vote for Romney.

But if you think as I do: that there are major, major challenges facing this country, then we need a real directional shift.

January 11th, 2012, 9:08 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I sincerely hope the Mormon doesn't win. He can't even be honest about his religion. Mormons are not Christian. But, they claim to be Christian.

Well Ron Paul isn't honest about his politics, he runs as a Republican despite being a Libertarian.

That being said, it takes someone out of the two party system to come up with real solutions to todays problems.

January 12th, 2012, 12:01 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

One thing I'm curious about with Paul is who he'd actually pull from, the Dems or the Repubs. I saw an article about the New Hampshire primary showing that most of those who voted for Paul described themselves as liberal and/or Democrat, while he also pulled a much smaller number of people describing themselves as conservative and/or Republican than the other candidates. Not sure if it means anything, and certainly New Hampshire isn't a good representation as the nation as a whole, but I thought it was interesting.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 12th, 2012, 10:19 am
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Billy, I don't like Ron Paul, why would I vote for him? If he GETS the nomination he will LOSE! He has his small cohort of supporters, but he will not garnish support from the main party, period. Even if he wins the nomination most Republicans will not head to the polls to vote for Ron Paul. He has some good ideas, founded on common sense, but the fact of the matter is that most of them are whole-sale changes that would be hard to implement, near impossible to get through Congress, and not likely to happen, ever.

January 12th, 2012, 1:12 pm
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
One thing I'm curious about with Paul is who he'd actually pull from, the Dems or the Repubs. I saw an article about the New Hampshire primary showing that most of those who voted for Paul described themselves as liberal and/or Democrat, while he also pulled a much smaller number of people describing themselves as conservative and/or Republican than the other candidates. Not sure if it means anything, and certainly New Hampshire isn't a good representation as the nation as a whole, but I thought it was interesting.

That is an interesting dynamic, and there is the whole youth movement that loves Ron Paul. Everyone knows that Barak Obama wouldn't have gotten elected without the massive support that he received from young voters. RP would likely get a significant percentage of those votes. However, given his libertarian stances (which are more or less far right stances) I think he will pull more votes from Reps than Dems.

January 12th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I certainly hope that Ron Paul doesn't run third party since that would all but hand the election to Maobama. While some single issue Dems (anti-war and legalized drugs in particular) would vote for Paul, the vast majority of his support would come from Republicans unhappy with Romney or whomever the nominee is. With that said, I think he understands the consequences of doing so and won't decide to run as an independent.

January 12th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

slybri19 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I certainly hope that Ron Paul doesn't run third party since that would all but hand the election to Maobama. While some single issue Dems (anti-war and legalized drugs in particular) would vote for Paul, the vast majority of his support would come from Republicans unhappy with Romney or whomever the nominee is. With that said, I think he understands the consequences of doing so and won't decide to run as an independent.

Is Romney really any different than Obama? I honestly think Paul is the ONLY candidate, and by a long shot, that would actually shake up the establishment and do whats right for this country. Since the 50's both parties have been the same. The only things the two parties differ with are abortion/gay marriage/ etc... yeah, they're important, but still 3rd to the economy and foreign policy. Any other candidate would mean business as usual and anybody who supports any other candidate than Paul must be ok with that.

“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

January 12th, 2012, 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next