View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Linebackers 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Linebackers
Levy's best year in Detroit was when he was the MLB. The years he's played outside he's struggled. He was an upgrade over Paris Lenon, but that's not saying much of anything. If Tulloch costs too much to retain, do the Lions consider letting him walk and moving Levy back to MLB and drafting an OLB?

January 11th, 2012, 11:59 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Levy's best year in Detroit was when he was the MLB. The years he's played outside he's struggled. He was an upgrade over Paris Lenon, but that's not saying much of anything. If Tulloch costs too much to retain, do the Lions consider letting him walk and moving Levy back to MLB and drafting an OLB?

I agree that he was better at MLB, but as you said, that's not saying much. We really had nothing worthwhile at LB and he was the best of a bad bunch. For whatever reason, he struggled outside this season. Is that because of his transitioning back outside after spending his collegiate years outside, or is it because he simply got exposed as not being that good of a player? The coaching staff has to decide that. I say if he is retained, that's fine. But make him EARN his starting role, don't just give him that by default.

January 11th, 2012, 2:29 pm
League MVP

even if he was better at MLB he was terrible compared to tulloch. levy plays with horrible fundamentals, slow reaction time, inconsistent play recognition and poor foot speed; its hard to make a case for him as a starter or to blame his play on scheme or position

January 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
even if he was better at MLB he was terrible compared to tulloch. levy plays with horrible fundamentals, slow reaction time, inconsistent play recognition and poor foot speed; its hard to make a case for him as a starter or to blame his play on scheme or position

I agree. And like mentioned before, Levy would be a solid backup, but is clearly the weakest link among the linebackers. Though Tulloch may not be Patrick Willis, I for one was pleased overall with his play and definetly welcome him back next year. Id love to see him in the middle, Durant at SLB and Burfict at WLB, but theres a lot of things id like.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 11th, 2012, 7:23 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I think all the LB's need to be re-evaluated. Too me, there was very little improvement from the previous season in regards to rush defense. When I looked it up, it showed we were 24th last year and 23rd this season. That's just not good enough. So for me, any additions to our LB group will be plus, I just don't see this group getting it done.

January 12th, 2012, 10:09 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I don't see it happening either. The Tulloch contract is going to determine what this corp looks like next season. Kicking the DE's down a gap would help a lot too.

January 12th, 2012, 12:19 pm
All State

So what about Hogue ? Is he coming along or what ? I dont recall seeing him on the field besides special teams

January 12th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Kicking the DE's down a gap would help a lot too.

Tell me about it! Man I sure hope the extension for Gunther had something to with "We'll bring you back if you change the way the defensive line looks".

Maybe its just me, but I liked the looks Gunther threw at offenses in 2010. Seemed more creative and thought with Fairley this year he would really throw some crazy looking packages out there...but I just didnt see it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 12th, 2012, 8:53 pm
League MVP

one of the other problems with the wide 9 seems to be that you cant really get your DT, lined up on the C. The Saints weakest lineman were RT and C but we couldnt really take advantage of anything bc their Guards were more than capable of handling Suh and whoever else 1 on 1 leaving the C free to take whichever LB or DB he wanted and the ends were easily blocked bc they werent fighting for contain or the play was such a quick hitter up the middle that the tackles could block like it was a draw play, take one step to wall off the DE and then work upfield and get a piece of the LBs.

January 13th, 2012, 1:56 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Their guards didnt handle anything. They got away with holding every other snap the entire game. They are good, but without the holding there would have been a ton more pressure on Brees.

As many ex players/coaches/etc that are now talking heads have said, someone on the OL holds on almost every play, so it is a very subjective penalty ... meaning refs making calls with even a minor bias will call or not call it more than other penalties. It was very blatant in that game.

That said , your analysis about the C and RT is still accurate as is the description of how the Saints O took advantage of the aformentioned favoritism.

January 13th, 2012, 3:44 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

In answer to a question, I think Doug Hogue is a very good linebacking prospect. However, with Gunther being the DC, rookies really don't get a fair shot at playing time unless you're something special, like Suh. Hogue, from what I recall, was pretty impressive in the pre-season, showing excellent range and pretty good cover skills. Given that he only played LB for two years at Syracuse, this was only his 3rd season at the position. I think he'll start pushing for a spot this season, but for whatever reason this staff seems to be in love with DeAndre Levy. Personally, I think Ashlee Palmer would have been a better option than Levy.

As for the New Orleans guards holding, take a close look at the Green Bay game as well to end the season and the one on Turkey Day. It's why Suh lost his cool. He was getting assaulted on every play, hands to the face, etc. and not once was it called. The referees were as much to blame for his stomping EDS as Suh was. It's one thing to let some hold go, but on one play in the Saints game Suh was grabbed by the helmet and thrown down. No call. The officiating is blantantly biased like politicians blantantly lie to taxpayers.

January 13th, 2012, 4:39 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
As for the New Orleans guards holding, take a close look at the Green Bay game as well to end the season and the one on Turkey Day. It's why Suh lost his cool. He was getting assaulted on every play, hands to the face, etc. and not once was it called. The referees were as much to blame for his stomping EDS as Suh was. It's one thing to let some hold go, but on one play in the Saints game Suh was grabbed by the helmet and thrown down. No call. The officiating is blantantly biased like politicians blantantly lie to taxpayers.

That's what I've been saying since the GB1 game. It's been atrocious, especially those two teams. Corey Williams threw his arms up in the air as a run ran right by him and he was damn near in a choke hold from behind. Ref standing right to the side of him, watching the run, no call. It's been a complete joke for those two teams, getting away with anything they want in the trenches.

January 13th, 2012, 7:05 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

That's what I've been saying since the GB1 game. It's been atrocious, especially those two teams. Corey Williams threw his arms up in the air as a run ran right by him and he was damn near in a choke hold from behind. Ref standing right to the side of him, watching the run, no call. It's been a complete joke for those two teams, getting away with anything they want in the trenches.

Well of course. Especially New Orleans. So much better of a story that good ol' Drew Brees takes his team to the Super Bowl, in a city that had disaster with a hurricane blah blah blah and how the city united to bring it back to form blah blah blah...such a great story...

Then theres Detroit..... :roll: A city that looks like crap, nothin special but high crime rates...auto industry...am i missing anything...

Yeah.

Id say the NFL would back New Orleans too.

January 13th, 2012, 9:48 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Id say the NFL would back New Orleans too.

I guess the Giants and 49ers missed the memo about how New Orleans and Green Bay were supposed to be in the NFC Championship game. However, I truly do think there is unmitigated bias in favor of Green Bay and New Orleans, just like there is with New England.

January 16th, 2012, 1:01 am
League MVP

i think one positive that can come from observing this past weekends' games w NYG winning was that the Lions philosophy of building through the defensive line w passrushers has merit. I think the Giants would also struggle with the Saints bc of the Saints run game but against a GB team without great lineman or even good runners the Giants played to rush the passer at all costs. Allowing them to get gashed by Grant at times but knowing that the Packers wouldnt be able to sustain that enough to win. Rodgers never looked right and neither did the receivers despite beating a mediocre secondary - the timing was off or Rodgers was inaccurate or had to scramble. The Giants got them to look out of sync.

January 17th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next