View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Linebackers 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Linebackers
I think the approach that the D of the NYG took was one that Detroit tried to employ. GB really played like crap that day, and the Lions would have been able to beat that GB team. It's too bad that we didn't get to play that team... oh well.

NYG LB's aren't all that special, but Kiwi and Boley played great games and the scheme allowed them to stop the run relatively well. They were gashed a few times, but they made plays in the backfield and tackled well, something Detroit's D couldn't do against NO.

January 18th, 2012, 11:14 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Giants DEs are also much better than the Lions' DEs. Boley showed how much of a difference it was with him being in there and being able to drop into coverage. The first time they played GB he was out with an injury. Zach Brown isn't my favorite player that might be available at #23 but with the dynamic TEs that the Lions might have to face to win a Super Bowl I wouldn't mind him being the selection. I think they dropped the ball not playing Carpenter more against GB and NO those last two games. Brown has the ability to rush the QB and also drop and cover TEs like Graham, Davis, and Finley down the seam. Like I said he's not my first choice maybe not even top three but he has to at least be in the conversation.

January 18th, 2012, 11:49 am

Fair enough on Brown. He's athletic with plus speed which would be a benefit as you mentioned about covering TE's. However, I don't know how solid of a tackler he is, which was the problem we faced against GB and NO. We missed a lot of tackles in those two games.

As for playing Carpenter more, I doubt that would have drastically changed how our D played. He was backing up Durant, who was our best LB this year IMO, so unless he was going to take the place of Levy, who maybe he could have outplayed, he wouldn't have changed the fortunes of this team.

January 18th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Fair enough on Brown. He's athletic with plus speed which would be a benefit as you mentioned about covering TE's. However, I don't know how solid of a tackler he is, which was the problem we faced against GB and NO. We missed a lot of tackles in those two games.

As for playing Carpenter more, I doubt that would have drastically changed how our D played. He was backing up Durant, who was our best LB this year IMO, so unless he was going to take the place of Levy, who maybe he could have outplayed, he wouldn't have changed the fortunes of this team.

It seemed like when were getting gashed for big plays while Durant was out, they were consistently targeting Bobby C. I don't think he's the answer.

January 18th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I don't know about that, when given a shot he didn't play any worse than any other LB on the team. The secondary got torched early on in the Dallas game and Carpenter had a big pick six to help get them back in the game. In that SF game, Tulloch over ran his lane assignment on Gore's 47 yd run and Carpenter wasn't in the game on his other big run. Then on the last TD Delmas let Walker cut right in front of him for the easy TD. He did give up a TD in the Chicago game, but he was hardly targeted in the games he started.

January 18th, 2012, 4:05 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
I don't know about that, when given a shot he didn't play any worse than any other LB on the team. The secondary got torched early on in the Dallas game and Carpenter had a big pick six to help get them back in the game. In that SF game, Tulloch over ran his lane assignment on Gore's 47 yd run and Carpenter wasn't in the game on his other big run. Then on the last TD Delmas let Walker cut right in front of him for the easy TD. He did give up a TD in the Chicago game, but he was hardly targeted in the games he started.

+1 - Carpenter wasn't getting targeted at all. I don't know what games you were watching, but obviously it wasn't the ones in which Bobby C. started.

January 18th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Lions' Gunther Cunningham miffed by last touchdown pass more than big runs vs. 49ers
Published: Friday, October 21, 2011, 3:11 PM Updated: Friday, October 21, 2011, 3:25 PM
By Philip Zaroo | MLive.com

ALLEN PARK - Much of the talk surrounding Detroit's loss to San Francisco last Sunday is about running back Frank Gore, who rushed for 141 yards in the game.

The Lions defense gave up two big runs to Gore on the same play. But Gunther Cunningham is more troubled with tight end Delanie Walker's 6-yard touchdown catch on fourth down to give the 49ers a late lead, which they didn't relinquish.
"What upset me in the game was the last touchdown and the 13-point swing, Cunningham said. "We shouldn't let a team like that do that to us."

Walker and wide receiver Michael Crabtree were both lined up on the right side of the formation, Walker near the sideline. They ran a cross, which Bobby Carpenter, lined up at left linebacker, recognized and responded to. When quarterback Alex Smith hit Walker, now slanting inside, he was still at the 2-yard line - there was time to make the tackle.
But Carpenter overran the play, and Walker had just enough momentum to carry safety Louis Delmas past the goal line. It was a play Carpenter missed against Chicago as well.

"Because the league is tough, you're going to get beat sometimes. You just don't want to get beat like that," Cunningham said. "The week before, he gave up a touchdown and I told him, corrected it and I said, 'You think I'm saying this because we won.' And I was nice to him after last week.

"So (this week), I said, 'Well, we lost and I'm making the same correction. Now it's up to you.'
It's really important to handle players the right way in situations like this, and they'll give us the right play after that."

*cough*

January 19th, 2012, 12:10 am
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:

+1

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 19th, 2012, 3:12 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I saw Brown play in NC's last game. Was watching that game just to see him. Wasn't impressed. Sure, he looked fast, but not physical. But that's the only time I have seen him play.

January 19th, 2012, 6:42 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Quote:
Lions' Gunther Cunningham miffed by last touchdown pass more than big runs vs. 49ers
Published: Friday, October 21, 2011, 3:11 PM Updated: Friday, October 21, 2011, 3:25 PM
By Philip Zaroo | MLive.com

ALLEN PARK - Much of the talk surrounding Detroit's loss to San Francisco last Sunday is about running back Frank Gore, who rushed for 141 yards in the game.

The Lions defense gave up two big runs to Gore on the same play. But Gunther Cunningham is more troubled with tight end Delanie Walker's 6-yard touchdown catch on fourth down to give the 49ers a late lead, which they didn't relinquish.
"What upset me in the game was the last touchdown and the 13-point swing, Cunningham said. "We shouldn't let a team like that do that to us."

Walker and wide receiver Michael Crabtree were both lined up on the right side of the formation, Walker near the sideline. They ran a cross, which Bobby Carpenter, lined up at left linebacker, recognized and responded to. When quarterback Alex Smith hit Walker, now slanting inside, he was still at the 2-yard line - there was time to make the tackle.
But Carpenter overran the play, and Walker had just enough momentum to carry safety Louis Delmas past the goal line. It was a play Carpenter missed against Chicago as well.

"Because the league is tough, you're going to get beat sometimes. You just don't want to get beat like that," Cunningham said. "The week before, he gave up a touchdown and I told him, corrected it and I said, 'You think I'm saying this because we won.' And I was nice to him after last week.

"So (this week), I said, 'Well, we lost and I'm making the same correction. Now it's up to you.'
It's really important to handle players the right way in situations like this, and they'll give us the right play after that."

*cough*

So two plays, in two different games, is an indication that a player is being targeted?

I see......

:-k

January 20th, 2012, 10:23 am

The fact that Gunther pointed it out specifically is more of the point. We as fans can posit all sorts of hypothesis about the players and whatnot, but when the DC makes a comment about the player and missing tackles/being targeted, it is way more telling then anything we could put out there.

January 20th, 2012, 11:48 am

And God knows, you don't want to miff Gunther...

January 20th, 2012, 11:48 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
The fact that Gunther pointed it out specifically is more of the point. We as fans can posit all sorts of hypothesis about the players and whatnot, but when the DC makes a comment about the player and missing tackles/being targeted, it is way more telling then anything we could put out there.

Understood, but that doesn't mean Carpenter was getting targeted by other teams. Gunner has said things about other players throughout the season as well, in regards to them missing this or that. It doesn't mean those players are bad, and it doesn't mean the Lions can't use them. It means they made mistakes and Gunner isn't afraid to call them out on it.

And there were plenty of plays I saw that featured other, more prominent players, missing their assignments. If we want to bring up overrunning plays, let's talk DeAndre Levy. If we want to talk missed tackles, let's talk Louis Delmas. If we want to talk missed gaps, let's talk Stephen Tulloch. They all made mistakes that lead to big plays or touchdowns.

January 20th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Well definitely, no one played a perfect season and never missed an assignment. Backups are always popular because of the unknown, but the reason they are unknown is that the coaching staff who sees them everyday doesn't think they give the team the best chance to win. That's saying something. I'm sure Carpenter had every opportunity to outperform Levy or Durant, but couldn't get the job done in practice.

January 20th, 2012, 3:48 pm
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Well definitely, no one played a perfect season and never missed an assignment. Backups are always popular because of the unknown, but the reason they are unknown is that the coaching staff who sees them everyday doesn't think they give the team the best chance to win. That's saying something. I'm sure Carpenter had every opportunity to outperform Levy or Durant, but couldn't get the job done in practice.

Exactly.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 20th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next