View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ndamukong Suh in image-repair mode 
Modmin Dude

Post Ndamukong Suh in image-repair mode
ESPN wrote:
Ndamukong Suh in image-repair mode
January, 18, 2012
By Kevin Seifert

It's fair to say that Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh didn't always do or say the right thing in his second NFL season. But we should also acknowledge that he has some aggressive and powerful advisers who have wasted no time in their efforts to rehabilitate his image.

In the first 10 days after the Lions' season ended, Suh made two high-profile national television appearances that provided friendly environments to demonstrate his off-field charm. His appearance on CBS' "The NFL Today" pregame show Sunday morning, as well as Tuesday night's stint on NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" were randomly timed and, to my knowledge, not tied to any event or product endorsement.

Sitting behind the CBS anchor desk Sunday, Suh answered several questions about his controversial season, most notably his Thanksgiving Day stomp of Green Bay Packers guard Evan Dietrich-Smith. When asked by analyst Boomer Esiason about that "fiasco," Suh said he is a "very humble and hungry individual" who wants to make things right.

USA Today television columnist Michael Hiestand wrote that "NFL players in on-air network cameos often use them as de facto audition[s] for future TV work." Suh, on the other hand, "seemed focus[ed] on image rehab." The Baltimore Sun's David Zurawik was more blunt, writing that Suh delivered "self-serving, public-relations-coached spin-talk about his 'growth' as a 'young man.'"

Fallon, meanwhile, led Suh through a five-minute interview in which they discussed the $2.6 million gift he gave to the University of Nebraska two years ago, as well as his decision to present his father with the first NFL paycheck he earned. The Thanksgiving Day game did not come up, but Suh did say he has a "good feeling" the Lions are going to make "a good run" to the Super Bowl next season.

For what it's worth, I have to think this is the window dressing for the real work that lies ahead. Most of us know that Suh is an articulate, intelligent and often charming person off the field. That's why advertisers across the country were so quick to sign him up after his All-Pro rookie season in 2010. I wasn't surprised to watch him represent himself well over the past few days.

But the paradox of Suh is that he doesn't take those attributes into games with him. Those who have carried doubts about him into the offseason want to see him repair his image on the field. Their opinions will sway based on how he conducts himself there, and whether he can maintain control in moments when the Lions need him most. His efforts on national television are but a condiment to that main course.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... epair-mode

January 18th, 2012, 4:19 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Ndamukong Suh in image-repair mode
Suh also has an interview and is on the cover of the NFL's magazine this month.

January 18th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Guy needs to focus more on football and less on building/repairing his brand.

January 19th, 2012, 12:58 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
thelomasbrowns wrote:

This, just keep playing how you are brother. 8)

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 19th, 2012, 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Lions2SB2 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

This, just keep playing how you are brother. 8)

As Suh's image/brand improves so does the Lions image/brand. IMO its nothing but positive for the entire organization. The peeps out there complaining of an NFL conspiracy against the Lions should be thrilled to see Suh working on his image.

January 19th, 2012, 11:20 am

Sure, but the whole thing about how he didn't attend the off-season workouts because of other commitments and the bit (still unconfirmed) by Mike O 'Hara that he didn't participate in the victory lap at Ford Field after the SD game just don't sit well with me. I'd rather have Suh be an on-the-field and lockerroom leader than a media spokesperson.

January 19th, 2012, 2:42 pm
1st Round Pick

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Sure, but the whole thing about how he didn't attend the off-season workouts because of other commitments and the bit (still unconfirmed) by Mike O 'Hara that he didn't participate in the victory lap at Ford Field after the SD game just don't sit well with me. I'd rather have Suh be an on-the-field and lockerroom leader than a media spokesperson.

So your saying we should have a victory lap after every win at Ford Field? Sure it was big that we finally made it to the playoffs, but I am sure Suh thought it wasn't needed until after we won a playoff game.

January 20th, 2012, 2:23 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions G.M. wishes team had addressed Suh’s cheap shots sooner
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 19, 2012, 7:26 PM EST

The question of whether Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is a dirty player came up long before his stomp on an opponent caused the NFL to step in with a two-game suspension, but until that Thanksgiving incident, the Lions largely defended Suh against any criticism along those lines.

In hindsight, Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew says he thinks the team could have acted sooner.

“It’s funny how things go,” Mayhew said on 790-AM in Atlanta, via the Detroit Free Press. “I think, early on, he had a couple of borderline sort of plays and, looking back on it, probably not enough people talked to him in those situations.”

But Mayhew says that he’s confident now that Suh’s head is on straight.

“Ndamukong’s a very, very intelligent person, intelligent football player,” Mayhew said. “He has a really solid foundation. Great family, great network of support around him. And he’s going to come through this thing. He’s actually come through it, as far as I’ve seen. He came back with a great attitude, played great down the stretch, and we’re going to put this behind him and move forward next year.”

For the Lions, a bigger issue with Suh may be his production on the field: His sack total declined from 10 as a rookie to four in his second season. But Mayhew said he believes Suh is still an elite defensive tackle.

“He didn’t have some of those splash plays that he had last year, but he played pretty solid and very consistently throughout the season,” Mayhew told MLive.com. “I was happy with him. I wouldn’t trade him for anybody else.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ts-sooner/

January 20th, 2012, 10:35 am
RIP Killer

Four sacks out of a defensive tackle is still a solid contribution. The most sacks this season by a DT was 7.5. Given that Suh was consistently double teamed on passing downs, and was assaulted most of the season without getting calls....I'd say his season was still productive.

January 20th, 2012, 10:53 am
Team MVP

I have no doubt that Suh is over his little "spell" we all witnessed this past season.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 20th, 2012, 9:22 pm
1st Round Pick

kdsberman wrote:
I have no doubt that Suh is over his little "spell" we all witnessed this past season.

Agree, get ready for next season!

I am excited already! :D

January 20th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post?id=37804

ESPN wrote:
NFL Any Era: Ndamukong Suh
By Kevin Seifert

This week, ESPN.com will unveil a project that will name 20 current players with the toughness to play in any era of NFL history. The first four players of the "Any Era" team, determined by a vote among 20 Hall of Fame players, were revealed Monday.

I'll make a note of every NFC North representative, and Monday's batch included Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Below are the verbatim explanations from three Hall of Famers for why Suh made the cut.

MIKE SINGLETARY

"Ndamukong Suh is just nasty. He is just a nasty guy. I love his mentality. He can rip your face off. That's the kind of guy he is. He's a young guy, but he sets the tempo for that team. If they didn't have him, they'd be a totally different team. He is the mindset of that whole team."

LARRY CSONKA

"You could put Ndamukong Suh next to Mean Joe Greene or Bubba Smith or back with some of those devastating D-linemen from the 70s and he'd fit right in. Suh’s mean enough to land on his feet wherever you put him. He is a classic tough guy. He belongs back with us. Dick Butkus could tackle our quarterback, Bob Griese, back behind the bench and not be penalized. That's where he belonged, and Suh would have loved our era."

JIM BROWN

"I love Ndamukong Suh. I would take him and mold him and create a Frankenstein monster. I would want him on my defense, but I would mold him. He is a throwback because they are trying to determine so many things about the physical part of the game right now, and I don't know if they can do it. You want guys who will mix it up, but you don't want stupidity. You are looking for monsters who are going to bring it, and that is who Suh is. He’s feared and respected in the league."

Iron Mike and Suh doing battle.

January 23rd, 2012, 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Face to Face: Ndamukong Suh
January, 30, 2012
By Kevin Seifert

This month, we discussed what appeared to be the start of a public-relations tour designed to rehabilitate the image of Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. In the first 10 days after the Lions' season ended, Suh appeared as a guest on CBS' "The NFL Today" pregame show and also on NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon."

Next up, or so it would seem, is "Face to Face" -- an ESPN special that will air Tuesday night. (We posted an excerpt Friday of a segment on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.)

As part of the show, Suh spoke extensively with host/executive producer Hannah Storm on the University of Nebraska campus in Lincoln, Neb. From the outside, at least, "Face to Face" would seem another stop on the Suh PR Tour of 2012. So last week, I spoke with Storm to gauge the extent of the spin, or lack thereof, she detected during several hours she spent interviewing Suh.

I figured Storm was in pretty good position to make that determination after spending the past 28 years as a journalist. Here's what she said: "You don't get the feeling he's doing this as damage control at all. This is a guy who is who he is, and that's what he's sharing.

"It seems like he feels he has been portrayed as the villain by the NFL," Storm said. "He gets the storyline. … So [in "Face to Face"], I think what he really appreciated was the ability to tell his story from his perspective, how he feels and how he sees it."

During the interview, Suh acknowledged he should have handled himself better before, during and after his infamous Thanksgiving Day stomp of Green Bay Packers guard Evan Dietrich-Smith. But said it is "outrageous" to be called a dirty player, and according to Storm, Suh complained to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about an NFL Network piece that billed the Lions' game against the Denver Broncos as "Good vs. Evil."

And what figures to be one of the takeaway moments of the piece, Suh scoffed at suggestions that he needs help with anger management.

"It's funny to me," Suh said in the video excerpt below. "I don't have issues of beating up people in bars. I know it's not right. It doesn't make sense to me. But I think people try to make their own opinion and I think it's a storyline. It's a great storyline. I understood this year that a lot of people see me being a dirty player is a fun storyline to have. That's what it is to me. It's kind of comical to me to keep saying something and really have no substance behind it."

I'll say this much: If Suh was single-minded in his desire to rehabilitate his image, I think his answer would have been a little more conciliatory. So I plan to watch the full interview when it airs Tuesday night. (ESPN2, 9 p.m. ET.) I want to see Suh being "who he is," as Storm termed it. I'll take honesty, whether or not I agree with it, over spin any day.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... mukong-suh

Is it time for training camp yet?
:arrow:

January 30th, 2012, 4:10 pm
Modmin Dude

oops :oops:

PFT wrote:
Suh pulled over in Portland, cited for speeding
Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2012, 9:31 AM EST

Last December, Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had an automobile accident in Portland, which gave rise to the kind of allegations that often give rise to a lawsuit. Suh was neither cited nor charged.

On Thursday, Suh was cited in Portland for a more routine traffic misadventure.

The Oregonian reports that Suh was pulled over and ticketed for speeding, improperly signaling, and not carrying proof of insurance.

Police said Suh was cooperative.

So, basically, there was no stomping. (Except on the gas pedal.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -speeding/

Again I ask:

March 9th, 2012, 11:13 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
oops :oops:

PFT wrote:
Suh pulled over in Portland, cited for speeding
Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2012, 9:31 AM EST

Last December, Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had an automobile accident in Portland, which gave rise to the kind of allegations that often give rise to a lawsuit. Suh was neither cited nor charged.

On Thursday, Suh was cited in Portland for a more routine traffic misadventure.

The Oregonian reports that Suh was pulled over and ticketed for speeding, improperly signaling, and not carrying proof of insurance.

Police said Suh was cooperative.

So, basically, there was no stomping. (Except on the gas pedal.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -speeding/

Again I ask:

Go to the PFT website and look at some of the comments. OMG! He got a freakin' SPEEDING ticket.

What's next, they'll tell us he spit on the sidewalk and got ticketed for that?

Some of the fans in other cities are ridiculous. They won't put any stories up on that rag website about his charity contributions or what he does in the community, but they jump all over a speeding ticket.

Guess they needed to put something in their that helps take the focus off of Manning being a free agent and the Saints getting caught with their hand in the bounty jar.

March 9th, 2012, 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next