View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Joe Paterno has died 
3rd Round Selection

Post Joe Paterno has died
http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/penn-st- ... ate-health

Never thought I'd ever see him fired and now this, even as a Michigan fan I can't help but feel something for this. Despite how his career ended he's one of the most legendary figures in college football history, can't believe it's all happened how it has and now it sounds like the end is near for Joe Paterno. :(

Last edited by Rob_Shadows on January 22nd, 2012, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 21st, 2012, 8:24 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Paterno gathers friends and family to say "Final Goodbye
Good riddance.

I hope he dies sad and lonely. Deserves it all.

January 22nd, 2012, 3:09 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

After many false reports last night, JoPa passed away this morning:
ESPN wrote:
Joe Paterno, 85, dies in State College

Joe Paterno has died at the age of 85 after experiencing serious complications from lung-cancer treatment.

The health of Paterno, who had fought the disease for two months, had grown progressively worse after he recently broke his pelvis in a fall at his home in State College, Pa.

The family announced his death Sunday shortly after 10 a.m. ET., The Associated Press reported.

Paterno died at State College's Mount Nittany Medical Center, where he had been undergoing treatment.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

RIP, Joe.

January 22nd, 2012, 11:29 am
QB Coach

Blueskies wrote:
Good riddance.

Wow, that's a bit harsh don't you think? He screwed up, and admitted as much. But he's not the guy who molested kids. He has an entire career of doing good works and helping thousands of kids. That should count for something.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 22nd, 2012, 12:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Good riddance.

Wow, that's a bit harsh don't you think? He screwed up, and admitted as much. But he's not the guy who molested kids. He has an entire career of doing good works and helping thousands of kids. That should count for something.

Maybe so. But, in the end, he is the man that allowed a child molester to go scott free for over a decade. And continued to let him use his facilities. Sorry. That is unacceptable in any circumstance.

January 22nd, 2012, 8:36 pm

Post Re: Joe Paterno has died
He let kids get butt****ed.

Do I even need to write anything else?

He knew about it. And he didn't do anything. Incompetence to the point of being evil.

January 23rd, 2012, 12:23 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but the Westboro Baptist Church is thinking about protesting at Paterno's funeral. I doubt they will show up though since I could see an angry Penn State student mob beating the crap out of them if they did. With that said, atleast they're choosing a funeral more appropriate to their anti-gay agenda than the military funerals that they usually protest at. They're still scumbags though.

January 23rd, 2012, 1:23 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

what a crying shame that a really good man's memory is forever tarnished because he trusted the wrong man.

The amazing things that he has done for THOUSANDS of kids over the decades are all tarnished. You guys can hate all you want but Jo-Pa was a good man who did many great things....but forever will be known for the one thing he didnt do...

January 23rd, 2012, 9:26 am
Modmin Dude

RIP JoePa

Quote:
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues
Then you really might know what it's like
~
I've seen a rich man beg
I've seen a good man sin
I've seen a tough man cry
I've seen a loser win
And a sad man grin
I heard an honest man lie
I've seen the good side of bad
And the down side of up
And everything between

January 23rd, 2012, 10:49 am

regularjoe12 wrote:
what a crying shame that a really good man's memory is forever tarnished because he trusted the wrong man.

The amazing things that he has done for THOUSANDS of kids over the decades are all tarnished. You guys can hate all you want but Jo-Pa was a good man who did many great things....but forever will be known for the one thing he didnt do...

Some things are big enough to destroy a legacy. This is one of them.

I'm sure JoePa would've done something if it was his kids or his grand kids.

January 23rd, 2012, 7:39 pm
Modmin Dude

While I can certainly understand the disdain towards the Penn State scandal, I don't think there is anyone here that knows exactly what happened; therefore I think I'll wait until all the evidence comes out before forming my opinion.

January 24th, 2012, 10:11 am
QB Coach

I'm of the opinion that unless someone has actively, intentionally done a terrible thing (murder, abuse, assault, etc.), they deserve basic human decency when they die. One of my friends wrote this on facebook, and I wholeheartedly agree: He's human. And outside of one colossal mistake he did a lot of good in this world. So at least give him some respect on the day that he passes away. Some of the comments I've seen are SO EFFING DISRESPECTFUL. Wouldn't wish the way he died on anyone who didn't actually commit a crime. He messed up. We need to fix it. Got it. But don't disrespect the deceased. RIP Joe Pa.

Here's my long-winded thoughts on the matter:

From what I've read, the facts are that Paterno was not told of the severity of the situation. He was told that something happened in the shower with a coach and player. He was not told that anyone was raped or sexually assaulted. He then reported the incident to University personnel who were supposed to investigate it. They never did a full investigation and Paterno never followed up. That is his failing, right there. He should have gone directly to the coach to find out what was going on, and probably should have gone to the police himself. He should not have left it to University personnel. He has since said that he regrets how he handled it and wishes he would have done more. I take him at his word, because over the course of his entire public life, he has (outside of this situation) always been known as a respected, honest, dignified person. He has done a lot of good in his life, and has helped a lot of young people grow to become quality adults. There are thousands of examples. That's not to take away from any of this. The whole situation is disgusting and it sickens me.

All that said, my main point is that they guy isn't even in the ground yet, and I believe he deserves basic human decency. I don't believe that Jerry Sandusky deserves the same. He's a piece of garbage and was the one who was actually abusing those kids. Joe Paterno was not abusing kids. He screwed up in how he handled the situation, but he was not the one who did it, and hasn't been charged with anything. Jerry Sandusky is the dirtbag who abused the kids, and his time in court will come.

A good comparison to all this is Michael Jackson. When he died, he was almost universally praised and the coverage was all about the huge contributions he made to music. Those are all true things, and he was rightly praised for it. Immediately following his death I thought that was appropriate. But, later on, looking back at his life and who he was, it's appropriate to consider all of his accomplishments together with the scandals he was involved in.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 24th, 2012, 11:17 am
QB Coach

I have to say that I find it very INTERESTING and SAD that a man who had unquestionable integrity, family ties, love for Penn State and fathered many atheletes by being the coach, has suddenly thrown all that away in one swoop.

I'm saddend at how quick the judges pass judgement with LIMITED real time facts, and how quickly the celebrte the death of the man who died from a broken heart.

Where in any occurrence of his life did he ever give anyone REASON to doubt his word? He's not a Bobby Knight, or Barak Obama for that reason. Both have scandalous careers, one being a perpetual liar of the worst kind, the facts are that Paterno was not told of the severity of the situation. He was told that something happened in the shower with a coach and player. He was not told that anyone was raped or sexually assaulted. He then reported the incident to University personnel who were supposed to investigate it. They never did a full investigation and Paterno never followed up. He admitted to making a mistake and HINDSIGHT is always 20/20, but the venom that is pouring from some of you is better suited for the criminal who committed the act, not the man who made a mistake.

In many ways, some of you remind me of the press who are digging for dirt on candidates to discredit and destroy them and their legacy based on past mistakes, regardless if these mistakes have been addressed and paid for. It boils down to those who live in glass houses and the throwing of stones!

He among you who has NO sin, let him cast the first stone! So who's the almighty perfect candidate to grab the first stone? Blue? Billy? Not me, I know my dirt for what I'm ashamed of, I've paid for it, but I don't want cast judgement on someone else just because AN INACCURATE MEDIA has skewed things the way they wish!!!! So go ahead fellas, do what you do.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 24th, 2012, 4:20 pm
League MVP

i have to agree with TDJesus and warer4christ here

paterno was given second hand incomplete info. from all the difft versions of stories we ve heard from mcqueary - its pretty clear he cant be trusted. paterno says he wasnt told of the same details that mcqueary testified in the grand jury. before reporting to mcqueary paterno also first went to a lawyer friend in the family, and that family friend has said the same thing - that all mcqueary really saw was a boy come out of a shower and then a few minutes later saw sandusky come out of the shower. to the grand jury mcqueary said that he saw an actual rape, then grabbed his shoes out of his locker and got out of there. then in an email to his friends - mcqueary said that he stopped the rape and then called the police that night. the police deny any record of receiving such a phone call. clearly he is lying somewhere in there but which story is to be believed? the initial two people mcqueary told are relaying one story, then mcqueary is telling a difft story in court and yet another to his friends but its now 9 years later. the more distant the memory becomes, the more heroic mcqueary is making himself out to be.

the shower incident allegedly happened in 2002 but sandusky retired from coaching under paternon in 1999. so what jurisdiction did paterno have over sandusky? was it really wrong to expect an athletic director and university president to do their jobs?

there is too much misinformation here to really know what happened and who to believe. the people that are saying "paterno allowed children to get raped" are making a conclusory statement without facts or knowledge to support that statement.

February 3rd, 2012, 3:07 pm
Junior Varsity

The Legend wrote:

the shower incident allegedly happened in 2002 but sandusky retired from coaching under paternon in 1999. so what jurisdiction did paterno have over sandusky? was it really wrong to expect an athletic director and university president to do their jobs?

there is too much misinformation here to really know what happened and who to believe. the people that are saying "paterno allowed children to get raped" are making a conclusory statement without facts or knowledge to support that statement.

All true, I think, including what I left out of the quote. But while I don't think Paterno is legally culpable in any way, I also believe he did the very least he was legally obligated to do, and I'm not sure that that's debatable (though I concede it may be). But maybe the real question people who feel inclined to judge him have to ask themselves is whether or not they would have done more (and possibly, would they have done more than the least)? I believe I would have, so I'm comfortable thinking very little of him.

February 4th, 2012, 2:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next