View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 12:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Division Round Games 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Division Round Games
49ers wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if this happened to anyone, they would receive death threats. People are talking about the threats against Williams, but Cundiff is getting them too. If this happened to someone on the Lions, then there would be a few Lions fans that would send a threat as well. It's not singled out to just one team, even if you do want to pretend that's true.

I can't help feel for the guy. He put his heart out there, and well, things happen. The fumble in OT is forgivable easily, people are stripped of the ball all the time. The other one sucks, but it's a correctable mistake. Poor kid.

No but good try.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 25th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

wjb21ndtown wrote:
No one would get death threats for completely blowing a couple of plays in Detroit. Sorry, I can't agree there.

So you're able to guarantee that there would be ZERO negative actions taken against a Detroit Lions player that cost the team the season? You're certain that of the thousands and thousands of Lions fans, not one of them would make a death threat? You simply KNOW what the actions of others would be? Must be nice to be so ignorant to actually believe that everyone thinks like you do.

I think the greatest fans in sports might be Buffalo Bills fans, and even they sent numerous death threats to Norwood when he missed that kick. Some of the nicest people I know wanted him to drop dead the next day. And with the advent of the internet, it's easier than ever to say things over twitter directly to a players cell phone or computer screen.

Don't be so naive dude.

January 25th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Varsity Captain

Lions2SB2 wrote:
49ers wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if this happened to anyone, they would receive death threats. People are talking about the threats against Williams, but Cundiff is getting them too. If this happened to someone on the Lions, then there would be a few Lions fans that would send a threat as well. It's not singled out to just one team, even if you do want to pretend that's true.

I can't help feel for the guy. He put his heart out there, and well, things happen. The fumble in OT is forgivable easily, people are stripped of the ball all the time. The other one sucks, but it's a correctable mistake. Poor kid.
No but good try.

YOU TOO?

This makes 2 Lions fans that are assuming no Lions fans would over-react to the point of a death threat. Surprising to me that anyone would think this. I knew IMMEDIATELY that Cundiff was going to field threats, and then IMMEDIATELY that Williams was going to field threats.

Lions, Saints, Giants, Patriots... I don't care what team you are a fan of. If a player on your team makes a mistake to cost the game and thus the season, that player will receive threats from fans of that team. To think otherwise is completely ignorant of the actions of others.

January 25th, 2012, 2:57 pm
QB Coach

49ers wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
49ers wrote:

No but good try.

YOU TOO?

This makes 2 Lions fans that are assuming no Lions fans would over-react to the point of a death threat. Surprising to me that anyone would think this. I knew IMMEDIATELY that Cundiff was going to field threats, and then IMMEDIATELY that Williams was going to field threats.

Lions, Saints, Giants, Patriots... I don't care what team you are a fan of. If a player on your team makes a mistake to cost the game and thus the season, that player will receive threats from fans of that team. To think otherwise is completely ignorant of the actions of others.

I agree with this. We've even seen on this board people making statements to the effect of "I hope __________ dies" and things like that. The reality is, sports fans always overreact. You only have to look back to the Jim Joyce incident in baseball. He's the umpire that made a bad call and cost the Tigers a (I think) perfect game. He received death threats. Detroit fans are no exception to the crazy sports fan overreaction.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 25th, 2012, 3:16 pm
TDJ - there's a difference between hoping a player dies, and stating that you're going to kill someone. Further, I'm betting that these SF threats actually REACHED their respective targets individually.

Actually TDJ the Joyce thing isn't much of an example... Joyce received the threats while he was in Portland, and he was getting complains from ALL of baseball for ruining a "perfect game." We embraced the gaffe here, creating T-shirts with the "Only 28 out game in MLB history" slogan on it. Don't get me wrong, we felt miffed and slighted, but he umpired the next day or the next week in the same ball park. I highly doubt he would have done that if he was getting threats from Detroit area fans.

January 25th, 2012, 3:52 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

49ers wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
No one would get death threats for completely blowing a couple of plays in Detroit. Sorry, I can't agree there.

So you're able to guarantee that there would be ZERO negative actions taken against a Detroit Lions player that cost the team the season? You're certain that of the thousands and thousands of Lions fans, not one of them would make a death threat? You simply KNOW what the actions of others would be? Must be nice to be so ignorant to actually believe that everyone thinks like you do.

I think the greatest fans in sports might be Buffalo Bills fans, and even they sent numerous death threats to Norwood when he missed that kick. Some of the nicest people I know wanted him to drop dead the next day. And with the advent of the internet, it's easier than ever to say things over twitter directly to a players cell phone or computer screen.

Don't be so naive dude.

Dude..if Matt Millen didnt get any death threats...no one in Detroit will. Thats a fact! NO ONE is hated around Detroit more than Matt Millen! NO ONE!

January 25th, 2012, 4:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

49ers wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
49ers wrote:

No but good try.

YOU TOO?

No. Because, we realize that this is just a game. Weather the Lions lose every game or go undefeated and win the super bowl. We are only spectators. We will still have to get up and go to work on Monday.
NFL Football is a great entertainment venue. But, that's all it is. Entertainment. It is pretty pathetic to me to threaten someones life over a stinking game.

The only people that are likely to send death threats are the losers that bet their house on the outcome of the game.

January 25th, 2012, 11:36 pm
RIP Killer

We're not cubs fans!

January 25th, 2012, 11:42 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TDJ - there's a difference between hoping a player dies, and stating that you're going to kill someone. Further, I'm betting that these SF threats actually REACHED their respective targets individually.

Actually TDJ the Joyce thing isn't much of an example... Joyce received the threats while he was in Portland, and he was getting complains from ALL of baseball for ruining a "perfect game." We embraced the gaffe here, creating T-shirts with the "Only 28 out game in MLB history" slogan on it. Don't get me wrong, we felt miffed and slighted, but he umpired the next day or the next week in the same ball park. I highly doubt he would have done that if he was getting threats from Detroit area fans.

And last time I checked, the next day we actually clapped for him.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 26th, 2012, 12:33 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Lions2SB2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

And last time I checked, the next day we actually clapped for him.

So what? Do you think all SF fans are making death threats? It's just a couple crazy people, and it's no different anywhere. You can believe that Detroit is somehow above it all if you want, but history shows that sports fans are crazy everywhere. it's human nature.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 26th, 2012, 10:27 am
Varsity Captain

I'm honestly shocked by what I'm reading. TD Jesus is right on.

The Matt Millen example isn't a good one. He didn't make a live action on the field to cost an otherwise great season and a championship. He just did a sucky job. We didn't give Singletary any death threats either, and he was HORRID.

To guarantee the actions of others is astonishing to me. To just assume everyone thinks, acts, and behaves like you do... I'm speechless. One person even said that nobody in the Detroit area threatened Jim Joyce... rofl... I'm at a loss for words. What a world you must live in where everything is how you see it, and not reality.

January 26th, 2012, 10:45 am

ok how bout this reference: Chris Webber. Bleww the NCAA chempionship game by calling a time out that Michigan didn't have..No death threa

And millen should count. while he wasnt a player he did take a team that was a missed field goal away from the p,layoffs to the WORST team in sports history. theres a ton of hate for that guy around here.

How bout Ron Artest. Dude started a fight with a random fan in Detroit durring a game! no death threats.

How many more examples do you need before you figure out detroit sports fans have no reputation whatsoever of violence.

and in an interview I saw with Joyce, and he said that the people of detroit were pretty forgiving with him. That doesn't sound like he recieved any death threats to me...

January 26th, 2012, 11:40 am
Varsity Captain

regularjoe12 wrote:
ok how bout this reference: Chris Webber. Bleww the NCAA chempionship game by calling a time out that Michigan didn't have..No death threa

And millen should count. while he wasnt a player he did take a team that was a missed field goal away from the p,layoffs to the WORST team in sports history. theres a ton of hate for that guy around here.

How bout Ron Artest. Dude started a fight with a random fan in Detroit durring a game! no death threats.

How many more examples do you need before you figure out detroit sports fans have no reputation whatsoever of violence.

and in an interview I saw with Joyce, and he said that the people of detroit were pretty forgiving with him. That doesn't sound like he recieved any death threats to me...

Yeah I never said this. I even agree with that statement. But San Fran also had no reputation of violence before this game.

All I'm saying is that if this happened to the Lions, and your backup punt returner, who is relatively unknown and easy to blame for a loss 1 game away from a Super Bowl, would field death threats. You say he won't. Fine. We're going to agree to disagree on this. We won't ever know until it happens, but it would take hundreds of thousands of fans to prove me wrong, yet would only take a handful to prove you wrong. And quite honestly, I don't want to be proven right.

January 26th, 2012, 12:35 pm

49ers wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Yeah I never said this. I even agree with that statement. But San Fran also had no reputation of violence before this game.

All I'm saying is that if this happened to the Lions, and your backup punt returner, who is relatively unknown and easy to blame for a loss 1 game away from a Super Bowl, would field death threats. You say he won't. Fine. We're going to agree to disagree on this. We won't ever know until it happens, but it would take hundreds of thousands of fans to prove me wrong, yet would only take a handful to prove you wrong. And quite honestly, I don't want to be proven right.

I hear what yer typin. you are right in the sense that there is no guarentee that some nutjob wont take things too far for sure. but with the history of sports around here I just dont think it would be likely is all. I would actually be pretty shocked.

January 26th, 2012, 12:47 pm
QB Coach

regularjoe12 wrote:

Seriously? It's well documented that the Fab 5 did indeed get death threats from Michigan alums. That's not necessarily detroit, but it is most likely someone from Michigan.

As for Artest, I haven't seen anywhere that death threats were made. But someone did call in a bomb threat against his team's locker room the next time Artest came to Detroit. Is that so much better?

Here's another example: Joey Harrington was quoted in the Detroit Free Press saying that he got death threats when he was in Detroit and had to pull his parents out of the stands because people tried to fight his mother.

So while Detroit fans may not have made as many death threats, they did make some. Plus they made bomb threats, and like I said, both are the same effect. A threat of something that will kill a person. It happens because there are idiots everywhere. Detroit is no exception.

January 26th, 2012, 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next