View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Culbreath busted for weed. 
Veteran General Manager

Post Culbreath busted for weed.
Quote:
Lions rookie busted for marijuana possession

Brad Biggs, The National Football Post 9 hours, 10 minutes ago

Detroit Lions rookie offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath was arrested Monday at an Orangeburg, S.C., motel and charged with simple possession of marijuana.

Culbreath paid a $412 fine before a county judge later that day to bring a conclusion to the case, according to the Times and Democrat. The Lions did not comment on the matter and Culbreath also declined comment.

He was busted by police when a clerk at the Country Inn and Suites called to report a suspicion of marijuana smoke in one of the rooms. When police investigated, they saw Culbreath place two blunts in the drawer of a hallway desk.

Culbreath, a South Carolina State product, was on injured reserve last season.

January 25th, 2012, 11:15 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Culbreath busted for weed.
Cut him. Who cares?

January 25th, 2012, 11:42 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
conversion02 wrote:
Cut him. Who cares?

No kidding.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 26th, 2012, 12:34 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Listen, I don't like it. I don't smoke pot, never have. I don't like athletes that do. But the FACT is that many NFL players do smoke weed, but just haven't gotten caught.....no different than most of you, I suspect.

Culbreath is a promising prospect, and a very athletic tackle. I don't know that he is the replacement for Jeff Backus, but he could be the replacement for Gosder Cherilus. And when it comes right down to it, if his pot smoking is done strictly in the off-season and doesn't affect his play on the field, I simply don't care. If it becomes something of a habit for him to get caught smoking pot, then cut him. Until then, discipline him accordingly and put it behind.

January 26th, 2012, 8:48 am
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
Listen, I don't like it. I don't smoke pot, never have. I don't like athletes that do. But the FACT is that many NFL players do smoke weed, but just haven't gotten caught.....no different than most of you, I suspect.

Culbreath is a promising prospect, and a very athletic tackle. I don't know that he is the replacement for Jeff Backus, but he could be the replacement for Gosder Cherilus. And when it comes right down to it, if his pot smoking is done strictly in the off-season and doesn't affect his play on the field, I simply don't care. If it becomes something of a habit for him to get caught smoking pot, then cut him. Until then, discipline him accordingly and put it behind.

Well said!

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 26th, 2012, 10:14 am
QB Coach

When I was on active duty we had a practice for CBR Warfar training called "Sacrificing the virgin." You would take the youngest man, grab his weapon, and remove his protective gear to see if he starts flopping around. If he does, you put everything back on and treat him accordingly, if he didn't you were safe.

The Lions are trying to crawl out of the basement, and we've made great strides this year, but behavior such as this should be dealt with severly! Not because of the offense, but because of it's impact on the team, it's image, and our mission.

Many people wish to redirect this and say, "a lot of others in the NFL are doing it." Okay that's the whole friends jumping off the cliff argument, and really shouldn't apply.

Culbreath should suffer severe TEAM punishment, and or fines for this, because of the negative press, and light he's brought to the organization. The Lions are getting into a position where they can LEAD BY EXAMPLE, and whether they choose to like it or not, MANY people are watching, kids, and fans alike. Set the standard and maintain it; disciplining Culbreath serves two purposes, 1. if it hurts bad enough it won't be done again, 2. it's a warning for any other Lion that chooses to take that same path.

Maybe as a punishment they could make him spend some time with Tebow learning HOW to be an example of a professional, ahem... off the field!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 26th, 2012, 10:30 am
League MVP

I was thinkin that they should make him spend a week with Charles Rogers. Once he sees how big of a winner he is Im sure he would learn to put that aside untill his career is over.

January 26th, 2012, 10:38 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
I was thinkin that they should make him spend a week with Charles Rogers. Once he sees how big of a winner he is Im sure he would learn to put that aside untill his career is over.

=D> :lol:

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 26th, 2012, 11:39 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
m2karateman wrote:

This right here.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 26th, 2012, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Another wasted 7th round pick. With the exception of Willie Young, what else is new?

January 26th, 2012, 1:58 pm
Modmin Dude

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Culbreath should suffer severe TEAM punishment, and or fines for this, because of the negative press, and light he's brought to the organization. The Lions are getting into a position where they can LEAD BY EXAMPLE, and whether they choose to like it or not, MANY people are watching, kids, and fans alike. Set the standard and maintain it; disciplining Culbreath serves two purposes, 1. if it hurts bad enough it won't be done again, 2. it's a warning for any other Lion that chooses to take that same path.

So, do you support having the EXACT same time of punishment dished out to Suh because of the "negative press, and light he's brought to the organization"

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 26th, 2012, 4:11 pm
m2karateman wrote:

I agree M2... My only problem with it is that I see it as "not being professional." I mean, not only is it not a performance enhancer, but it's a performance detractor. Weed kills motivation, it is a long-term depressant, not to mention that there is as much "tar" in one joint as there is in a whole pack of cigs.

I wouldn't cut a player for "using" but I do look at them in a negative light. If they're going to smoke weed they have to prove something to me on the field. I'm starting my judgment with the premise that "you're not doing everything you can for this football team," and you have to prove me wrong. I don't feel that way about "sober" players.

January 26th, 2012, 4:32 pm
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:

Say what you will about Charles Rogers. He banked about $20 Million for very little output.

January 26th, 2012, 5:40 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Say what you will about Charles Rogers. He banked about $20 Million for very little output.

no he didnt...he had to give most of that back...Sly would be able to tell you more but I believe he's a chapter 13 guy now.

January 26th, 2012, 6:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If he shows up fro work, is in shape, and performs well, i could give 2 poop.

Its a travesty in this country that marijuana is illegal but cigarettes and alchohal are not. Both of them cause 10x the issues. Its a political and $ issue more than anything else.

That said, it is still illegal and does shine a bad light on the team (even if minor), and most fans think Charles Rodgers when they think of Lions w Weed, rather than say Calvin Johnson.... I would expect a slap on the wrist and nothing more, and would be dissapointed with anything more.

P.S. - For those who believe the myths about how bad pot is, you should do some research. Most of the myths like 1 joint = 20 cigarettes were from Biased studies done decades ago. A 20 year study released just 2 weeks ago disproved 95% of that bullshit. An Avg joint puts as much tar in human lungs as 2 cigarettes. Show me the "regular pot smoker" who smokes 10 joints a day... as compared to the "Regular cigarette smoker" who averages a Pack a day.

Link to the PDF of the Study Itself. http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/2/173.short

According to a 20-year study federally funded by the National Institute for Drug Abuse and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, marijuana, the illicit substance grown naturally from the earth that around 100 people every hour are arrested for possessing, doesn't harm your lungs.

Yahoo News Story on it: http://news.yahoo.com/marijuana-doesnt- ... 146886.htm

You can find the story published all over the internet.

PLEASE NOTE: As a recreational smoker (not daily, but used to be) I fully understand exactly what it does to you, and it is extremely demotivational. However not ever person that smoke pot is Spicoli from Fast Times. Many professionals in all walks of life do drugs, and a much larger % than anyone believes smoke pot time to time but dont talk about it. I personally know Lawyers, IT professionals, CEOs (2), and a Cop who have all smoked with me at different times, counted amoung the successful who can smoke and still contribute to society. Its much less destructive than alchohal, so if you know someone that can have a few drinks each weekend/week, but still function, then you know a Successful FUnctional Pothead as well.. you may just not know it. My partner at work of 3 years never knew, and would always bag on the "Retard Drivers" that worked for our compamny for being dumb potheads, and finally over lunch 1 day I told her I was a smoker... every single day at that point. Only at night, After work, after chores, etc, but I was the Best Salesperson my company had, and 1 of the hardest workers, making bank, taking care of all of my obligations.

Anyways, I am rambling, but this is not a big deal. Pot should be legalized. THere really is no logical argument agaisnt it unless you believe that all harmful substances including alchohal, tobacco, Prescription painkillers, Fast Food , etc should also all be illegalized to "protect us from ourselves".

January 27th, 2012, 3:50 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next