View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million deal 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million de
The Legend wrote:
billy

Quote:
I was replying to our just having acquired Delman Young - Dimitri's son.

dude, you crack me up. delmon and dmitri are brothers

LOL. I honestly didn't know. I thought I read an article somewhere that stated he was Dimitri's son.

January 25th, 2012, 11:19 pm
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million
conversion02 wrote:
Its just too bad the defense will be so atrocious.

Miggy at 3B = awful
Peralta at SS = average at best
Raburn at 2B = horrendous

Worst defensive infield in baseball and quite possibly the most power at the plate lol

Mr I is going all in, that's for sure. Now trade that liability in Young for a 2B and sign Cespedes to man LF

If we can get good defensively at SS and 2nd, we can get by with Fielder and Cabrera at the corners.

So, Inge could become our new 2nd Baseman. 2nd Basemen are notoriously bad hitters. So, he fits the role. Inge's defense is great at every position he plays.

So, either we are going with the DH by committee, or, we are still looking for a DH.

January 25th, 2012, 11:26 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Its just too bad the defense will be so atrocious.

Miggy at 3B = awful
Peralta at SS = average at best
Raburn at 2B = horrendous

Worst defensive infield in baseball and quite possibly the most power at the plate lol

Mr I is going all in, that's for sure. Now trade that liability in Young for a 2B and sign Cespedes to man LF

If we can get good defensively at SS and 2nd, we can get by with Fielder and Cabrera at the corners.

So, Inge could become our new 2nd Baseman. 2nd Basemen are notoriously bad hitters. So, he fits the role. Inge's defense is great at every position he plays.

So, either we are going with the DH by committee, or, we are still looking for a DH.

Inge is good at defense. Who can we pick up at DH

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 26th, 2012, 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

We could also stick Inge in LF and make Delman the full time DH for the year.

January 26th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
We could also stick Inge in LF and make Delman the full time DH for the year.

Inge Sucks.

January 26th, 2012, 4:56 pm
All of this is predicated on Miggy playing 3rd, which I happen to think is a horrible idea.

January 26th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
All of this is predicated on Miggy playing 3rd, which I happen to think is a horrible idea.

The ball will be hit his way, maybe 5% of the time. Of that 5%, he will field about 75% of them cleanly. So, he will only hurt us whatever 25% of the 5% of balls hit his way.

In other words, he's not going to be the liability you think he will be. It's not like he's moving to 2nd or Short Stop. There just aren't that many balls hit at the 3rd baseman. Especially, when the pitcher pitches away from right handed hitters and in tight on left handed hitters.

I think Verlander is gonna win 30+ for the next few years with this lineup. I would have loved it if Illitch had opened up the bank vault for Cliff Lee last year(might have been the year before- can't remember for sure.) Can you imagine this lineup with Verlander and Lee being 1,2 in the SP rotation?

January 26th, 2012, 5:23 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

The ball will be hit his way, maybe 5% of the time. Of that 5%, he will field about 75% of them cleanly. So, he will only hurt us whatever 25% of the 5% of balls hit his way.

In other words, he's not going to be the liability you think he will be. It's not like he's moving to 2nd or Short Stop. There just aren't that many balls hit at the 3rd baseman. Especially, when the pitcher pitches away from right handed hitters and in tight on left handed hitters.

I think Verlander is gonna win 30+ for the next few years with this lineup. I would have loved it if Illitch had opened up the bank vault for Cliff Lee last year(might have been the year before- can't remember for sure.) Can you imagine this lineup with Verlander and Lee being 1,2 in the SP rotation?

Last time we tried him at 3rd he was disgruntled about it, it rattled confidence, and his offense was effected. Factor that into your equation.

January 26th, 2012, 5:31 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Last time we tried him at 3rd he was disgruntled about it, it rattled confidence, and his offense was effected. Factor that into your equation.

UMMMM.

3rd Base is his natural position. It is the position that he played since the Florida Marlins drafted him. It wasn't until he got to Detroit that he switched to 1st base because we needed a spot to put Inge. His offense was lacking because he just switched leagues and hadn't faced all the new pitchers yet.

And Cabrera volunteered to move back to 3rd base so Fielder could play 1st base.

January 26th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Veteran General Manager

Just had a random thought.

Detroit now has two Princes. Tashaun and Fielder. LOL.

January 26th, 2012, 7:03 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

UMMMM.

3rd Base is his natural position. It is the position that he played since the Florida Marlins drafted him. It wasn't until he got to Detroit that he switched to 1st base because we needed a spot to put Inge. His offense was lacking because he just switched leagues and hadn't faced all the new pitchers yet.

And Cabrera volunteered to move back to 3rd base so Fielder could play 1st base.

Uhmmm NO!... We didn't "need a spot to put Inge." Miggy got here and he was HORRIBLE at 3rd. He played 14 games at 3rd base after gaining weight in the offseason and he committed 5 errors in 14 games. That's ridiculous... Factor that into you're 75% of the time he'll be great at 3rd argument. We moved him not because we needed a place to put Inge, but because HE COULDN'T PLAY 3rd HERE.

Now he's even heavier than he was in 2008. He will be WORSE at 3rd.

I'm not the only one that thinks so, Michael Rosenburg wrote an article just today that said that Miggy won't stay at 3rd base. It is a pipe dream and it will never happen.

January 26th, 2012, 8:00 pm
3rd Round Selection

If only Miggy would accept a role as the DH....that would easily be the best solution for this year...

January 27th, 2012, 6:43 pm
Rob_Shadows wrote:
If only Miggy would accept a role as the DH....that would easily be the best solution for this year...

I agree, but it still takes one of our best players off of the field in interleague, and the World Series is interleague play...

January 27th, 2012, 7:21 pm
League MVP

Quote:
All i know is Dombrowski knows a heck of a lot more about baseball than I do, so if he signed Prince, ill trust him. Regardless, I like the signing

its an ilitch move all way. if dombrowski was given a 214 million budget at the beginning of the offseason he would have grabbed a leadoff hitter in Reyes who signed for 6yr/106, maybe a 3b in aramis ramirez who got 3/36 and still had enough to land another middle of the rotation starter and make a run at Cespedes. This is a boneheaded poorly thought out move to vmart's injury. imagine you drive a mercedes and its in the shop for a few weeks, this is like compensating for that by purchasing a lamborghini.

the best part of this signing is that Texas doesnt end up with Prince - if they had Prince they are maybe one of the best teams in history.

great signing for the tigers in the short term but if they have to trade vmart and eat part of the final 2yr/25 million on his contract, its not going to play out like some people have imagined

January 29th, 2012, 11:52 am
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
All i know is Dombrowski knows a heck of a lot more about baseball than I do, so if he signed Prince, ill trust him. Regardless, I like the signing

its an ilitch move all way. if dombrowski was given a 214 million budget at the beginning of the offseason he would have grabbed a leadoff hitter in Reyes who signed for 6yr/106, maybe a 3b in aramis ramirez who got 3/36 and still had enough to land another middle of the rotation starter and make a run at Cespedes. This is a boneheaded poorly thought out move to vmart's injury. imagine you drive a mercedes and its in the shop for a few weeks, this is like compensating for that by purchasing a lamborghini.

the best part of this signing is that Texas doesnt end up with Prince - if they had Prince they are maybe one of the best teams in history.

great signing for the tigers in the short term but if they have to trade vmart and eat part of the final 2yr/25 million on his contract, its not going to play out like some people have imagined

This.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next