View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 9:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Culbreath busted for weed. 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Culbreath busted for weed.
Dumb move, silly offense. Too early to say he's a 'wasted pick.'

January 27th, 2012, 9:45 am
QB Coach

Wags: Yep! You have to take the good with the bad when leading by example. Notice I said it should be a severe TEAM punishment, that does not mean that it needs to be broadcast for all to know how and when the person was punished. It could be something like 100 laps up and down the steps of Ford Field, or financial, or both.

The point is to set the standard for how "we" as a team are going to act ON and OFF the field, and maintain it rigidly.

Incidents like Raiola's groping, Culbreaths weed, and things like that bring a negative light to the team and the culture that is being created here. I am so disappointed when I see football player involved in Vick type episodes, or Pacman Jones stuff. Please keep in mind that I understand that these are generally kids (early 20's) who have not really matured emotionally, and you slap millions of dollars into their bank accounts and look out. Heck, I'm not sure how I would react with millions of dollars sitting in my account, but I do know it would not be at clubs or strip joints, but that's just me.

Using Michigan's example in Brady Hoke, he came along side of this team and embraced the Seniors, and then the team. What I like about that, and Joe Pa for that matter, is that they are kind of like mentors when kids are away from father figures or don't have a father figure.

Not to sway this in another direction but there's more to manhood than just having the parts. There's integrity, honor, a sense of duty, and responsibility, and coaches tend to instill that along the way. Look at what GC has done for Suh, even having him stay the night, not in a Sandusky way, but as a father figure spending time with one of his boys.

So, it's a little long winded, but if I were a coach, I would set the standard, ensure that the team is aware of what I expect, and when they step out of line, punish them accordingly. It's a matter of respect for the organization, the owners, your team mates, and the fans who spend HARD earned dollars that come from jobs that are in short supply to watch these guys play a game, that WE will never get to play at that level, nor get paid at that level.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 27th, 2012, 10:32 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
DJ-B wrote:
PLEASE NOTE: As a recreational smoker (not daily, but used to be) I fully understand exactly what it does to you, and it is extremely demotivational. However not ever person that smoke pot is Spicoli from Fast Times. Many professionals in all walks of life do drugs, and a much larger % than anyone believes smoke pot time to time but dont talk about it. I personally know Lawyers, IT professionals, CEOs (2), and a Cop who have all smoked with me at different times, counted amoung the successful who can smoke and still contribute to society. Its much less destructive than alchohal, so if you know someone that can have a few drinks each weekend/week, but still function, then you know a Successful FUnctional Pothead as well.. you may just not know it. My partner at work of 3 years never knew, and would always bag on the "Retard Drivers" that worked for our compamny for being dumb potheads, and finally over lunch 1 day I told her I was a smoker... every single day at that point. Only at night, After work, after chores, etc, but I was the Best Salesperson my company had, and 1 of the hardest workers, making bank, taking care of all of my obligations.

Anyways, I am rambling, but this is not a big deal. Pot should be legalized. THere really is no logical argument agaisnt it unless you believe that all harmful substances including alchohal, tobacco, Prescription painkillers, Fast Food , etc should also all be illegalized to "protect us from ourselves".

Weed has yet to kill someone unlike alchohal, and I should also note that when you are high, you can at least still function.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 27th, 2012, 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Lions2SB2 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
PLEASE NOTE: As a recreational smoker (not daily, but used to be) I fully understand exactly what it does to you, and it is extremely demotivational. However not ever person that smoke pot is Spicoli from Fast Times. Many professionals in all walks of life do drugs, and a much larger % than anyone believes smoke pot time to time but dont talk about it. I personally know Lawyers, IT professionals, CEOs (2), and a Cop who have all smoked with me at different times, counted amoung the successful who can smoke and still contribute to society. Its much less destructive than alchohal, so if you know someone that can have a few drinks each weekend/week, but still function, then you know a Successful FUnctional Pothead as well.. you may just not know it. My partner at work of 3 years never knew, and would always bag on the "Retard Drivers" that worked for our compamny for being dumb potheads, and finally over lunch 1 day I told her I was a smoker... every single day at that point. Only at night, After work, after chores, etc, but I was the Best Salesperson my company had, and 1 of the hardest workers, making bank, taking care of all of my obligations.

Anyways, I am rambling, but this is not a big deal. Pot should be legalized. THere really is no logical argument agaisnt it unless you believe that all harmful substances including alchohal, tobacco, Prescription painkillers, Fast Food , etc should also all be illegalized to "protect us from ourselves".

Weed has yet to kill someone unlike alchohal, and I should also note that when you are high, you can at least still function.

I'm sorry, but this is bullsh!t. Weed still impairs your reaction time and your ability to drive, and there have been plenty of fatal car crashes where the driver was "under the influence" of marijuana.

"Marijuana is a significant and important contributing factor in a growing number of fatal accidents," said Gil Kerlikowske, director of National Drug Control Policy in the White House and former Seattle police chief. "There is no question, not only from the data but from what I have heard in my career as a law enforcement officer."

Even right here in Michigan:
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/ind ... na_be.html

January 27th, 2012, 3:21 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

WJB it right.

you can always spot a high driver. he's the one that:

Is going 20 miles UNDER the speed limit and the look on his face makes you think he's doing 120mph

at a dead stop at a blinking yellow light

has a passenger who is intently focused on something in his lap. (hey a good rolling takes concentration

will let 7 cars go through a 4 way stop before getting up the nerve to "go for it"

January 27th, 2012, 3:35 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
WJB it right.

you can always spot a high driver. he's the one that:

Is going 20 miles UNDER the speed limit and the look on his face makes you think he's doing 120mph

at a dead stop at a blinking yellow light

has a passenger who is intently focused on something in his lap. (hey a good rolling takes concentration

will let 7 cars go through a 4 way stop before getting up the nerve to "go for it"

He's also the one that stares at LED billboards for far too long because they're "cool" and thinks they're hilarious. He's also the one with an attention span of a flee, that is easily distracted. He's also the one that takes too long to consider hitting his brakes or not. The fact of the matter is that weed DOES impair drivers and they HAVE killed people, period.

January 27th, 2012, 3:51 pm

i was trying to be funny but I was agreeing with you.

There is no doubt that reaction time is slowed down a bit, and it is not as safe as being sober. but to be fair there can be no compairisons to drunk drivers though. If I had to choose what goes behind the wheel, i'd take a stoner over a drunk 10 out of 10 times.

January 27th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Modmin Dude

Considering as this has evolved into a discussion about marijuana, it has been moved to the Off-Topic forum.

That said, here is a list of myths associated with marijuana and its use:

A couple of excerpts that relate to what has been discussed here:
Quote:
Myth: One Joint Equals One Pack (or 16, or maybe just 4) Cigarettes

Some critics exaggerate the dangers of marijuana smoking by fallaciously citing a study by Dr. Tashkin which found that daily pot smokers experienced a "mild but significant" increase in airflow resistance in the large airways greater than that seen in persons smoking 16 cigarettes per day.1 What they ignore is that the same study examined other, more important aspects of lung health, in which marijuana smokers did much better than tobacco smokers. Dr. Tashkin himself disavows the notion that one joint equals 16 cigarettes.

A more widely accepted estimate is that marijuana smokers consume four times as much carcinogenic tar as cigarettes smokers per weight smoked.2 This does not necessarily mean that one joint equals four cigarettes, since joints usually weigh less. In fact, the average joint has been estimated to contain 0.4 grams of pot, a bit less than one-half the weight of a cigarette, making one joint equal to two cigarettes (actually, joint sizes range from cigar-sized spliffs smoked by Rastas, to very fine sinsemilla joints weighing as little as 0.2 grams). It should be noted that there is no exact equivalency between tobacco and marijuana smoking, because they affect different parts of the respiratory tract differently: whereas tobacco tends to penetrate to the smaller, peripheral passageways of the lungs, pot tends to concentrate on the larger, central passageways.3 One consequence of this is that pot, unlike tobacco, does not appear to cause emphysema.

Footnotes

1. D. Tashkin, "Respiratory Status of 74 Habitual Marijuana Smokers," Chest 78 #5: 699-706 (Nov. 1980).

2. T-C. Wu, D. Tashkin, B. Djahed and J.E. Rose, "Pulmonary hazards of smoking marijuana as compared with tobacco," New England Journal of Medicine 318:
347-51 (1988).
Quote:
Myth: No One Has Ever Died From Using Marijuana

The Kaiser study also found that daily pot users have a 30% higher risk of injuries, presumably from accidents. These figures are significant, though not as high as comparable risks for heavy drinkers or tobacco addicts. That pot can cause accidents is scarcely surprising, since marijuana has been shown to degrade short-term memory, concentration, judgment, and coordination at complex tasks including driving.1 There have been numerous reports of pot-related accidents -- some of them fatal, belying the attractive myth that no one has ever died from marijuana. One survey of 1023 emergency room trauma patients in Baltimore found that fully 34.7% were under the influence of marijuana, more even than alcohol (33.5%); half of these (16.5%) used both pot and alcohol in combination.2 This is perhaps the most troublesome research ever reported about marijuana; as we shall see, other accident studies have generally found pot to be less dangerous than alcohol.

Nonetheless, it is important to be informed on all sides of the issue. Pot smokers should be aware that accidents are the number one hazard of moderate pot use. In addition, of course, the psychoactive effects of cannabis can have many other adverse effects on performance, school work, and productivity.

Footnotes

1. Herbert Moskowitz, "Marihuana and Driving," Accident Analysis and Prevention 17#4: 323-45 (1985).

2. Carl Soderstrom et al., "Marijuana and Alcohol Use Among 1023 Trauma Patients," Archives of Surgery, 123: 733-7 (1988).
Quote:
Myth: Marijuana is a Major Road Safety Hazard

A growing body of research indicates that marijuana is on balance less of a road hazard than alcohol. Various surveys have found that half or more of fatal drivers have alcohol in their blood, as opposed to 7 - 20% with THC, the major psychoactive component of marijuana (a condition usually indicative of having smoked within the past 2-4 hours).1 The same studies show that some 70% - 90% of those who are THC-positive also have alcohol in their blood. It therefore appears that marijuana by itself is a minor road safety hazard, though the combination of pot and alcohol is not. Some research has even suggested that low doses of marijuana may sometimes improve driving performance, though this is probably not true in most cases.2

Two major new studies by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration have confirmed marijuana's relative safety compared with alcohol. The first, the most comprehensive drug accident study to date, surveyed blood samples from 1882 drivers killed in car, truck and motorcycle accidents in seven states during 1990-91.3 Alcohol was found in 51.5% of specimens, as against 17.8% for all other drugs combined. Marijuana, the second most common drug, appeared in just 6.7%. Two-thirds of the marijuana-using drivers also had alcohol. The report concluded that alcohol was by far the "dominant" drug-related problem in accidents. It went on to analyze the responsibility of drivers for the accidents they were involved in. It found that drivers who used alcohol were especially culpable in fatal accidents, and even more so when they combined it with marijuana or other drugs. However, those who used marijuana alone appeared to be if anything less culpable than non-drug users (though the date were insufficient to be statistically conclusive). The report concluded, "There was no indication that marijuana by itself was a cause of fatal accidents." (It must be emphasized that this is not the case when marijuana is combined with alcohol or other drugs).

The second NHTSA study, "Marijuana and Actual Driving Performance," concluded that the adverse effects of cannabis on driving appear "relatively small" and are less than those of drunken driving.4 The study, conducted in the Netherlands, examined the performance of drivers in actual freeway and urban driving situations at various doses of marijuana. It found that marijuana produces a moderate, dose-related decrement in road tracking ability, but is "not profoundly impairing" and "in no way unusual compared to many medicinal drugs." It found that marijuana's effects at the higher doses preferred by smokers never exceed those of alcohol at blood concentrations of .08%, the minimum level for legal intoxication in stricter states such as California. The study found that unlike alcohol, which encourages risky driving, marijuana appears to produce greater caution, apparently because users are more aware of their state and able to compensate for it (similar results have been reported by other researchers as well5) It should be noted that these results may not apply to non-driving related situations, where forgetfulness or inattention can be more important than speed (this might explain the discrepancy in the Baltimore hospital study, which looked at accidents of all kinds). The NHTSA study also warned that marijuana could also be quite dangerous in emergency situations that put high demands on driving skills.

Footnotes

1. Dale Gieringer, "Marijuana, Driving, and Accident Safety," Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 20 (1): 93-101 (Jan-Mar 1988).

2. H. Klonoff, "Marijuana and driving in real-life situations," Science 186: 317-24 (1974).

3. K.W. Terhune et al., "The Incidence and Role of Drugs in Fatally Injured Drivers," NHTSA Report # DOT-HS-808-065 (1994).

4. Hendrik Robbe and James O'Hanlon, "Marijuana and Actual Driving Performance," NHTSA Report #DOT-HS-808-078 (1994).

5. Klonoff, loc. cit.; A. Smiley, "Marijuana: On-road and driving simulator studies," Alcohol, Drugs and Driving: Abstracts and Reviews 2#3-4: 15-30 (1986).

January 27th, 2012, 4:07 pm
I'll agree with all of that Alpha.

I will add:
A common myth of POT USERS is that marijuana is NOT a depressant. That's completely false. Long-term marijuana use has an extremely high association with depression.

January 27th, 2012, 4:13 pm

good read Wags, thanks.

I found the part about the possability of extra caution being used amongst pot smokers inparticularly interesting. I've always suspected as much, as paranoia is a legit side effect of it's usage. I'm glad to see that was mentioned in the study.

January 27th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Alpha??? :confused:
:wink:

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I will add:
A common myth of POT USERS is that marijuana is NOT a depressant. That's completely false. Long-term marijuana use has an extremely high association with depression.

As is alcohol a depressant
/just sayin' :wink:

January 27th, 2012, 4:32 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I will add:

It is, and most alcoholics are severely depressed. Most habitual potheads won't admit that they're depressed, and think that weed is the "cure" for their depression when in actuality it is probably the cause.

January 27th, 2012, 4:36 pm

well...cigarettes are a deressant. But I wouldn't call all smokers "depressed".

I know TONS of potheads who arn't depressed. Understand that I'm not debating MJ as a depressant...just that just because someone smokes pot you shouldn't imeadiately assume they are depressed is all.

January 27th, 2012, 4:42 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I will add:

Oh c'mon... you guys are basically the same person... EVERYONE knows!!!

:arrow: :idea: :cheers:

January 27th, 2012, 4:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
i was trying to be funny but I was agreeing with you.

There is no doubt that reaction time is slowed down a bit, and it is not as safe as being sober. but to be fair there can be no compairisons to drunk drivers though. If I had to choose what goes behind the wheel, i'd take a stoner over a drunk 10 out of 10 times.

Same here over taking a stoned driver than a drunk driver.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 27th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next