View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Culbreath busted for weed. 
Position Coach

Post Re: Culbreath busted for weed.
not all smokers are the same... Some still have the drive and ambition to become professional atheletes.

January 28th, 2012, 2:28 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

one odd fact most dui's or fatal accidents the persons also tested positive for thc just a thought. Place the blame where you want

January 28th, 2012, 4:26 am
League MVP

dmudd wrote:
one odd fact most dui's or fatal accidents the persons also tested positive for thc just a thought. Place the blame where you want

Im sorry...im not following what you are trying to say...

January 28th, 2012, 11:24 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
regularjoe12 wrote:
well...cigarettes are a deressant. But I wouldn't call all smokers "depressed".

I know TONS of potheads who arn't depressed. Understand that I'm not debating MJ as a depressant...just that just because someone smokes pot you shouldn't imeadiately assume they are depressed is all.

This, most people that smoke weed just do it because it feels "good".

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Listen, I don't like it. I don't smoke pot, never have. I don't like athletes that do. But the FACT is that many NFL players do smoke weed, but just haven't gotten caught.....no different than most of you, I suspect.

Culbreath is a promising prospect, and a very athletic tackle. I don't know that he is the replacement for Jeff Backus, but he could be the replacement for Gosder Cherilus. And when it comes right down to it, if his pot smoking is done strictly in the off-season and doesn't affect his play on the field, I simply don't care. If it becomes something of a habit for him to get caught smoking pot, then cut him. Until then, discipline him accordingly and put it behind.

I agree M2... My only problem with it is that I see it as "not being professional." I mean, not only is it not a performance enhancer, but it's a performance detractor. Weed kills motivation, it is a long-term depressant, not to mention that there is as much "tar" in one joint as there is in a whole pack of cigs.

I wouldn't cut a player for "using" but I do look at them in a negative light. If they're going to smoke weed they have to prove something to me on the field. I'm starting my judgment with the premise that "you're not doing everything you can for this football team," and you have to prove me wrong. I don't feel that way about "sober" players.

I agree that the bust puts HIM in a negative light, but not the team. Why not? Because we are talking about a rookie 7th round pick that nobody has heard of. If this had not been a Lions player, it wouldn't have been news on this forum, so I'm sure it's not on any other team fansite. However, the team should handle as I stated. Keep it in house, tell the YOUNG man that his job is on the line and that he hasn't helped his chosen career, and let's move on.

January 29th, 2012, 10:39 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Listen, I don't like it. I don't smoke pot, never have. I don't like athletes that do. But the FACT is that many NFL players do smoke weed, but just haven't gotten caught.....no different than most of you, I suspect.

Culbreath is a promising prospect, and a very athletic tackle. I don't know that he is the replacement for Jeff Backus, but he could be the replacement for Gosder Cherilus. And when it comes right down to it, if his pot smoking is done strictly in the off-season and doesn't affect his play on the field, I simply don't care. If it becomes something of a habit for him to get caught smoking pot, then cut him. Until then, discipline him accordingly and put it behind.

I agree M2... My only problem with it is that I see it as "not being professional." I mean, not only is it not a performance enhancer, but it's a performance detractor. Weed kills motivation, it is a long-term depressant, not to mention that there is as much "tar" in one joint as there is in a whole pack of cigs.

I wouldn't cut a player for "using" but I do look at them in a negative light. If they're going to smoke weed they have to prove something to me on the field. I'm starting my judgment with the premise that "you're not doing everything you can for this football team," and you have to prove me wrong. I don't feel that way about "sober" players.

I agree that the bust puts HIM in a negative light, but not the team. Why not? Because we are talking about a rookie 7th round pick that nobody has heard of. If this had not been a Lions player, it wouldn't have been news on this forum, so I'm sure it's not on any other team fansite. However, the team should handle as I stated. Keep it in house, tell the YOUNG man that his job is on the line and that he hasn't helped his chosen career, and let's move on.

This.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 29th, 2012, 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

M2 - the "them" in my post are potsmokers, not the Detroit Lions. I agree with you.

January 31st, 2012, 4:04 pm
Lions2SB2 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I know TONS of potheads who arn't depressed. Understand that I'm not debating MJ as a depressant...just that just because someone smokes pot you shouldn't imeadiately assume they are depressed is all.

Feels good now, leaves you depressed later - that's how all drugs work. There's no such thing as a "free" high. I didn't say "potsmokers" I said habitual pot smokers, that's a big difference. If you only do it once in a while the "crash" isn't as bad. If they smoke every day and I guaranty you that they're depressed, or will be after a short period of time.

January 31st, 2012, 4:06 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Feels good now, leaves you depressed later - that's how all drugs work. There's no such thing as a "free" high. I didn't say "potsmokers" I said habitual pot smokers, that's a big difference. If you only do it once in a while the "crash" isn't as bad. If they smoke every day and I guaranty you that they're depressed, or will be after a short period of time.

I thought you were a lawyer, are you now also a doctor? :confused:
Pardon the snarkiness, but your tone comes across as if you're speaking in FACT, which I don't think you are.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 31st, 2012, 5:33 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I thought you were a lawyer, are you now also a doctor? :confused:
Pardon the snarkiness, but your tone comes across as if you're speaking in FACT, which I don't think you are.

I am speaking in fact. I could have a BS in Psychology if I wanted to fill out the paperwork. We had to take several classes on addiction, drug abuse, it's effects, etc. I could post article after article that marijuana is a long-term depressant. It's a known fact in the medical field.

January 31st, 2012, 5:35 pm
RIP Killer

Wjb has a bs in something!

February 1st, 2012, 12:10 am
Player of the Year - Offense

I just saw a report yesterday that shows that chronic THC use causes a decreased level in Testosterone.

So for us men who already go through that decrease with age, the use of "weed" only adds to the loss, and pretty soon things will be watching you tie your shoes, instead of standing at attention.

So maybe a new anti-drug awareness should read: " You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything; don't be a noodle!"

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

February 1st, 2012, 9:36 am
Quote:
Gregory B. Bovasso, PhD, Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at the Community College of Philadelphia, wrote the following in his Dec. 2001 article titled "Cannabis Abuse as a Risk Factor for Depressive Symptoms," published in the American Journal of Psychiatry:

In participants with no baseline depressive symptoms, those with a diagnosis of cannabis abuse at baseline were four times more likely than those with no cannabis abuse diagnosis to have depressive symptoms at the follow-up assessment, after adjusting for age, gender, antisocial symptoms, and other baseline covariates.

In particular, these participants were more likely to have experienced suicidal ideation and anhedonia during the follow-up period.
Among the participants who had no diagnosis of cannabis abuse at baseline, depressive symptoms at baseline failed to significantly predict cannabis abuse at the follow-up assessment.

Dec. 2001 - Gregory Bovasso, PhD

Quote:
The Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) noted in its May 3, 2005 website article "Marijuana and Mental Health":

There is an increased risk of depression, suicidal thoughts and schizophrenia as a result of marijuana use, even among people with no prior history of a disorder....

Recent evidence suggests that some people's genetic make-up may predispose them to be particularly vulnerable to the effects of marijuana on mental health.

May 3, 2005 - Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP)

Quote:
Thomas Edward Radecki, MD, JD, Research Director of Doctors & Lawyers for a Drug Free Youth, stated on his website (accessed Mar. 9, 2006):

Depression is a common side-effect of smoking marijuana. The evidence of a cause-effect relationship is very solid....

I have seen dozens and dozens of patients who have become seriously mentally ill thanks to the brain damage caused by marijuana. It is a major cause of depression and schizophrenia in our society as well as a factor in preventing our psychiatric treatments from working effectively.

It changes the personality, damages the memory, seriously impairs school performance, and causes auto crashes and death for far too many individuals.

Quote:
Mar. 9, 2006 - Thomas Edward Radecki, MD, JD

The British Medical Journal reported in a Nov. 23, 2002 article by George Patton, MD, et al., "Cannabis Use and Mental Health in Young People: Cohort Study":

Daily [cannabis] use in young women was associated with an over fivefold increase in the odds of reporting a state of depression and anxiety after adjustment...

Weekly or more frequent cannabis use in teenagers predicted an approximately twofold increase in risk for later depression and anxiety...

The prevalence of depression and anxiety increased with higher extents of cannabis use, but this pattern was clearest in female participants.

Nov. 23, 2002 - British Medical Journal

I could go on and on. I can tell you for sure that this is the material that is being taught to psychologists and addictionists at Wayne State.

February 1st, 2012, 2:56 pm
League MVP

the thing I noticed about 2 of those studies you posted is that they focused on young people.

that explains why i disagree with their findings when compaired to what I have personally witnessed.

I know a lot of habitual smokers. I mean A LOT.....and NONE of them are suicidal. no tendancies...lingering thoughts...anything.

I can't help but think that link is found predominanty in young people who are much more prone to have those thoughts anyways.

A side note for ya: A buddy of mine was a a service guy in a big dealership in the area. he was the guy who would analyze the problem and make up the work order for the mechanics. the rule of thumb was this...the nicer the car the more likely it is to find a roach. IE the more successful someone is the higher the odds that he'd spot a roach in the ashtray. fact is much more of the population (at least in this area) is a "habitual" smoker than most non smokers would care to admit. fact is if there was any REAL link between pot and suicide we'd have an epidemic on our hands. people would be dropping like flies.

February 1st, 2012, 6:00 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
the thing I noticed about 2 of those studies you posted is that they focused on young people.

that explains why i disagree with their findings when compaired to what I have personally witnessed.

I know a lot of habitual smokers. I mean A LOT.....and NONE of them are suicidal. no tendancies...lingering thoughts...anything.

I can't help but think that link is found predominanty in young people who are much more prone to have those thoughts anyways.

A side note for ya: A buddy of mine was a a service guy in a big dealership in the area. he was the guy who would analyze the problem and make up the work order for the mechanics. the rule of thumb was this...the nicer the car the more likely it is to find a roach. IE the more successful someone is the higher the odds that he'd spot a roach in the ashtray. fact is much more of the population (at least in this area) is a "habitual" smoker than most non smokers would care to admit. fact is if there was any REAL link between pot and suicide we'd have an epidemic on our hands. people would be dropping like flies.

FWIW - Most of the successful potheads that I know smoke once a week or a couple of times a month. I really don't know any that smoke every day. I tend to think that the "average" use of pot is greatly exaggerated by potsmokers.

February 1st, 2012, 6:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next