View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 6:04 pm



Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 O-line draft hypothetical... 

Lions draft Peter Konz and Cordy Glynn in the first and 2nd round are you...?
Happy 100%  100%  [ 14 ]
Mad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

 O-line draft hypothetical... 
Author Message
Varsity Captain

Joined: February 10th, 2011, 4:08 am
Posts: 306
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
I,m gonna be as gentle as i can.the lions will not select an olineman in rd 1.they would trade down or even out of the rd before selecting one .they believe if either they sign gaither or fall back on jeff.they feel they have there starters on the roster


February 1st, 2012, 3:45 pm
Profile
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
allenslions wrote:
I,m gonna be as gentle as i can.the lions will not select an olineman in rd 1.they would trade down or even out of the rd before selecting one .they believe if either they sign gaither or fall back on jeff.they feel they have there starters on the roster


Unfortunately, I think you're right, and it's sad. The Lions F.O. is convinced that Raiola is not a problem on this OL, and it's ridiculous. They're married to the guy even though he can't run block to save his life. Same is true for Peterman.

They also seem to have no cause for concern as to the age of the OL, and seem set on drafting late round garbage "projects" that never amount to anything - ridiculous.

IMO this is their biggest failure. Their failure to see that it's the OL and not the RB that is killing our running game, and their willingness to invest a Rd.1 and Rd.2 draft pick into the running game AT THE WRONG POSITION.


February 1st, 2012, 3:55 pm
Varsity Captain

Joined: February 10th, 2011, 4:08 am
Posts: 306
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
And i believe there line will look like this next season.lt-gaither -lg-sims-c-riolia -rg-goz -rt-culbreath .and im sure the move of goz inside will payoff like it did for davis an gallery,an culbreath just needed to absorb the playbook


February 1st, 2012, 4:12 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: February 10th, 2011, 4:08 am
Posts: 306
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
The team understands riolias shortcomings.and they will draft someone to groom behind him not replace him.but the biggest issue right now is runningback.we dont have one.best was told he should retire .lashoure will never be 100% again an smith cmon


February 1st, 2012, 4:30 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
How the hell do you expect to plug Gaither in on this line? I can't imagine that the Lions are going to be players in that sweepstakes. The reason? He's going to command more money then the Lions are going to want to/can invest in FA. And Johnny Culbreath a starter? No way. Lastly, try using spaces after punctuation. It makes your comments easier to read.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 1st, 2012, 4:56 pm
Profile
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
allenslions wrote:
And i believe there line will look like this next season.lt-gaither -lg-sims-c-riolia -rg-goz -rt-culbreath .and im sure the move of goz inside will payoff like it did for davis an gallery,an culbreath just needed to absorb the playbook



Does Backus get cut? I could deal with that being the line, as long as Gos has a short leash, but I really don't like resting the season on Culbreath and Gos. I guess it could be Peterman and Gos back, with Gaither at LT and things would still be better, but up the middle strength and size is what I'm looking for.


I hear you at RB. I really wish the Ronnie Brown thing would have gone through. I know he's old and not a long-term answer, but I think he's better than Morris and I think he would be a nice insurance policy. I really wish we would have pushed for McGahee a year or two ago. I think he's a great value and I think he would be good in limited duty. I wouldn't mind Benson as well.

I absolutely HATE that we're stuck with two near first round backs both with serious injury histories, clogging up our depth charts. I almost wish we would cut or trade one of them, even if they do want to come back. SD misses Sproles, give them Best for a 4th or 5th rounder.


February 1st, 2012, 5:08 pm
Varsity Captain

Joined: February 10th, 2011, 4:08 am
Posts: 306
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
Wayne first i,m not speculating about this its coming from the team.first gaither will be there main target in freeagency and all reports are about 9 to 12 mill will get it done.an for culbreath .the coaches feel he is ready.i didnt know u coach the line


February 1st, 2012, 5:56 pm
Profile
Online
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3379
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
wjb21ndtown wrote:
allenslions wrote:
I,m gonna be as gentle as i can.the lions will not select an olineman in rd 1.they would trade down or even out of the rd before selecting one .they believe if either they sign gaither or fall back on jeff.they feel they have there starters on the roster


Unfortunately, I think you're right, and it's sad. The Lions F.O. is convinced that Raiola is not a problem on this OL, and it's ridiculous. They're married to the guy even though he can't run block to save his life. Same is true for Peterman.

They also seem to have no cause for concern as to the age of the OL, and seem set on drafting late round garbage "projects" that never amount to anything - ridiculous.

IMO this is their biggest failure. Their failure to see that it's the OL and not the RB that is killing our running game, and their willingness to invest a Rd.1 and Rd.2 draft pick into the running game AT THE WRONG POSITION.

I agree 100% and have huge doubts they will go o-line. As much as I want Konz, I dont see him warring a lions jersey next year.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 1st, 2012, 6:15 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3796
Location: WSU
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
from what i saw of culbreath in the preseason he appeared to have outstanding feet, i just didnt think he looked very powerful. hope he s been firming up, the weed conviction cant look too good on his resumer. still it would have been nice if they let him play in a game or two instead of stashing him on the IR and then hoping he could transition from small school nothing to nfl starter

allenslione - do the lions have any plans with leonard davis - he is the biggest meanest looking player ive ever seen roaming the lions sidelines


February 1st, 2012, 6:34 pm
Profile
Online
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2325
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
I don't doubt they have interest in Gaither I do highly doubt they will be in the running to sign him. This is a pretty weak year for LT as far as FA and even the draft except for a few players. On top of that there are at least twelve teams that will likely be bidding for his services. One of the big question marks with Gaither has always been his level of commitment. Is he going to get complacent if he gets a big upfront contract? I can't believe I'm going to say this but I'd rather sign Backus to a two or three year deal at a reasonable price and draft a guy like McCants or Datko (if he checks out with the doctors) in the middle rounds.


February 1st, 2012, 6:53 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1075
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
allenslions wrote:
I,m gonna be as gentle as i can.the lions will not select an olineman in rd 1.they would trade down or even out of the rd before selecting one .they believe if either they sign gaither or fall back on jeff.they feel they have there starters on the roster



Glad to hear it, as I don't think O-line should be the top priority. Trading back is a welcome notion as well. Believe they can find many talented players to develop in subsequent rounds, and getting an extra pick or two for moving back makes sense to me.
Maybe Schwartz saw in Tennessee that it doesn't take 1st round picks on the O-line to have an effective running game. Their starting LT was taken in round 2, and I believe the rest of their line was 4th round or later.


February 2nd, 2012, 8:31 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
I'd be willing to give Culbreath a shot but I can't see him starting next season, at least early on, considering he was on IR all last season. If anything, wouldn't Corey Hilliard get the shot at RT? Secondly, which source is telling you about the Lions interest in Gaither? If you're right, props to you and I'll eat crow if the OL is Gaither, Sims, Raiola, Gos, Culbreath. I just don't see them spending 9-12 mill on him. Is that per year? Needing to re-sign CJ and Avril and then having to be fiscally responsible enough to plan for Stafford and Suh when they need new deals, as well as other parts of the defense. Also, isn't the salary cap going to be relatively unchanged this next year? A team with more fast cash will make a better offer. I just don't see it. My opinion is to try to build the OL through the draft. That may mean we have to deal with another year of Gos at RT.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 2nd, 2012, 10:44 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9958
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I'd be willing to give Culbreath a shot but I can't see him starting next season, at least early on, considering he was on IR all last season. If anything, wouldn't Corey Hilliard get the shot at RT? Secondly, which source is telling you about the Lions interest in Gaither? If you're right, props to you and I'll eat crow if the OL is Gaither, Sims, Raiola, Gos, Culbreath. I just don't see them spending 9-12 mill on him. Is that per year? Needing to re-sign CJ and Avril and then having to be fiscally responsible enough to plan for Stafford and Suh when they need new deals, as well as other parts of the defense. Also, isn't the salary cap going to be relatively unchanged this next year? A team with more fast cash will make a better offer. I just don't see it. My opinion is to try to build the OL through the draft. That may mean we have to deal with another year of Gos at RT.


Technically speaking, the Lions don't have to concern themselves right now about Stafford or Suh, because in all likelihood the cap will rise dramatically in 2013.

However, your point about signing Gaither for 9-12 million per season, and then having to somehow get Avril back under contract is something that needs to be looked at. I would assume that if the Lions sign Gaither, Backus will be allowed to walk in free agency. And I'm sure that we will see some savings from Peterman likely getting cut if Gos is moved inside and beats him out.

As for Culbreath, the guy is better than most realize. Don't let the seventh round selection fog your mind. Look at Willie Young, he was a seventh rounder, but certainly doesn't play like it. I liked what I saw of Culbreath in the pre-season. I could see him beating out both Gosder and Hilliard for the starting job this season, as long as he focuses on learning the playbook and bulking up some during the off-season. His bust will be dealt with and should have no bearing on whether he has the skill to start or not.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


February 2nd, 2012, 11:20 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
Right now they don't need to worry about Stafford and Suh, but money will be an issue, considering they'll have to pay both top 5 positional money, with #1 WR money on the books as well, and whatever happens with Avril. I just think they need to be responsible with the cap.

Its not that I don't think 7th rounders can be starters, its just the lack of experience, especially competition wise. If I recall correctly, he was put on IR relatively early in the season. He couldn't practice then, right? By doing that it would only, hypothetically, retard his development.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 2nd, 2012, 12:05 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9958
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: O-line draft hypothetical...
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Right now they don't need to worry about Stafford and Suh, but money will be an issue, considering they'll have to pay both top 5 positional money, with #1 WR money on the books as well, and whatever happens with Avril. I just think they need to be responsible with the cap.

Its not that I don't think 7th rounders can be starters, its just the lack of experience, especially competition wise. If I recall correctly, he was put on IR relatively early in the season. He couldn't practice then, right? By doing that it would only, hypothetically, retard his development.


On IR, he can't practice, but he still has access to the playbook and I believe can still work out. At this stage, his learning the playbook is more important than anything else. And when it comes down to it, ALL rookies enter the league on an even stance, experience wise. Remember, Culbreath was recruited heavily coming out of High School by top colleges, but it was his academics that forced him to South Carolina State, not his talent. He decided to stay there for his career, rather than transfer and miss a year of eligibility. I have to imagine the Lions IRed him for two reasons....one, he was too talented to put on the PS and have another team sign him to their roster, ala Lydon Murtha, and two, they felt he needed intellectual development rather than physical development.

Just my guess.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


February 2nd, 2012, 1:12 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kdsberman and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.