View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Which Laptop do I buy? 
QB Coach

Post Re: Which Laptop do I buy?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Right now I'm seriously using a Compaq (same style as HP) that I bought in 2005. It's definitely time for a new one. I get a perpetual "your hard drive is about to fail" notice upon start-up, it gets super hot anymore (the fans aren't working properly for some reason... I've tried drivers, etc., but I think something is weird with the motherboard), the thing is just on its last legs.

I can't stand that there literally aren't any decent laptops available right now.

I think it really depends on the specifics of what model you get. For example, I've heard people say many times that they don't like Dell or HP or whoever based on one particular model. The thing is, with almost every manufacturer you can customize what you get, making the computer better or worse. For example, a couple years ago I got a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation. It was a high powered laptop and it worked fantastically. I paid a bit more for it so I could have the higher end components, and it was worth it. Similarly anyone can customize a computer on the HP website. I'm pretty sure this is possible with other manufacturers as well.

On the other hand, if all someone does is go to Best Buy or some other store and then buys what they have there, you are limited by what they choose to carry. They might have a really good machine. Or they might not.

I almost always choose to build a custom machine, because it is worth it.

But, back on topic, the OP said the computer was just for basic web surfing, email, etc. As I said before, a high powered machine most likely won't be necessary, and quite honesty if all someone is going to do is those basic things, I'd probably look at getting a tablet, with one of those attachable keyboards for easier typing. It's way cheaper and will do everything they need it to do.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

February 1st, 2012, 5:57 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Right now I'm seriously using a Compaq (same style as HP) that I bought in 2005. It's definitely time for a new one. I get a perpetual "your hard drive is about to fail" notice upon start-up, it gets super hot anymore (the fans aren't working properly for some reason... I've tried drivers, etc., but I think something is weird with the motherboard), the thing is just on its last legs.

I can't stand that there literally aren't any decent laptops available right now.

I think it really depends on the specifics of what model you get. For example, I've heard people say many times that they don't like Dell or HP or whoever based on one particular model. The thing is, with almost every manufacturer you can customize what you get, making the computer better or worse. For example, a couple years ago I got a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation. It was a high powered laptop and it worked fantastically. I paid a bit more for it so I could have the higher end components, and it was worth it. Similarly anyone can customize a computer on the HP website. I'm pretty sure this is possible with other manufacturers as well.

On the other hand, if all someone does is go to Best Buy or some other store and then buys what they have there, you are limited by what they choose to carry. They might have a really good machine. Or they might not.

I almost always choose to build a custom machine, because it is worth it.

I am actually going to college to learn how to customize computers and laptops. I actually get to be able to buy a laptop and put everything I want into it, I am really excited to do that! :D

As like others say, you don't need the nicest laptop if your only going to use it for web. I would recommend going to like best buy, target, or even a wal-mart and look at there laptops.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

February 2nd, 2012, 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

What do you mean "learn to customize computers and laptops"?

February 2nd, 2012, 12:57 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Blueskies wrote:
What do you mean "learn to customize computers and laptops"?

I pretty much create softwares from scratch, learn all the codes, etc.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

February 2nd, 2012, 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2