View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks?
Got this from the Lions homepage.

Quote:
Avril says agent is currently in talks with Lions to secure long-term deal

By Tim Twentyman Posted 23 hours ago

Lions defensive end Cliff Avril said his agent is currently in talks with the Lions about a long-term contract and he hopes to have a deal in the next couple weeks.

"We have had a couple talks, it's in the beginning stages, but my hopes are to get something done with the Lions," he told Detroitlions.com as he readied for the radio row gauntlet at the Super Bowl

"Hopefully it's done within the next couple weeks. I understand it's a business and it's not all about what I would prefer. We weren't really talking that much prior to the end of the season and now my agent is talking to (president) Tom (Lewand) and (general manager) Martin (Mayhew)."

Avril had a breakout year for the Lions in 2011. His 11 sacks led the team and his six forced fumbles were second most in the NFL to only the Ravens' Terrell Suggs (7). Avril also recovered three fumbles, the second most in the league.

He also became the first Lions player to register 10 sacks and have at least one fumble return touchdown and one interception return touchdown in the same season. He's only the sixth player since the NFL started registering sacks as a statistic in 1982 to accomplish that feat, and the first since 2006 (DeMarcus Ware).

"From the sounds of it, they want me there," Avril said with a sheepish grin, implying the two sides are in the same ballpark in terms of a monetary figure.

February 2nd, 2012, 4:24 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks?
I think they'll get Avril re-signed, but I don't expect it to get done until the last minute. I know teams can begin franchising players on February 20th, but I'm not sure when it ends. It used to be about a week before free agency began, but I don't know if that changed. Regardless, I predict that Avril will sign a new contract on the last day that teams can place the tag on players.

February 3rd, 2012, 4:17 am
Pro Bowl Player

Just out of curiosity, what kind of contract are we talking about with Avril?

anyone hear a ballpark figure

February 3rd, 2012, 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Ferris wrote:

Nothing. I haven't heard any comparisons for a contract for Avril like we have heard with CJ.

I am expecting somewhere around $5M/year though. And we can get that. With Suh, Fairley, Hill, Fluellen, and a mid round draft pick DT, we can cut Williams and give his $5M/year to Avril.

February 3rd, 2012, 11:16 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Ferris wrote:

Nothing. I haven't heard any comparisons for a contract for Avril like we have heard with CJ.

I am expecting somewhere around $5M/year though. And we can get that. With Suh, Fairley, Hill, Fluellen, and a mid round draft pick DT, we can cut Williams and give his $5M/year to Avril.

This. I see the Lions either trying to trade Corey Williams, or cutting him outright to open up some money to give to others. The Lions have no need for him if Fairley stays healthy, and they can either sign a cheap FA DT, or get a late round/undrafted rookie to replace him. Fluellen should be given his walking papers as well. He's been irrelevant since he's been drafted. As a DT he doesn't have the strength or quickness needed, and as a DE he doesn't fit the pass rushing the Lions want. He's better suited to be a 34 DE.

February 3rd, 2012, 11:58 am
Pro Bowl Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Ferris wrote:

This. I see the Lions either trying to trade Corey Williams, or cutting him outright to open up some money to give to others. The Lions have no need for him if Fairley stays healthy, and they can either sign a cheap FA DT, or get a late round/undrafted rookie to replace him. Fluellen should be given his walking papers as well. He's been irrelevant since he's been drafted. As a DT he doesn't have the strength or quickness needed, and as a DE he doesn't fit the pass rushing the Lions want. He's better suited to be a 34 DE.

I like Hill, but like M2k says, Fluellen doesn't do much. Corey Williams also has the age factor and a nagging hip injury. Trade value wouldn't be much I think. Pry a cut.

I also agree that the Lions could use a 5th/6th round draft pick on a backup DT. They do have a lot of options atm.

February 3rd, 2012, 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

i think avril's going to get 8-10 million/year on the open market. getting corey and kvb to take salary cuts would be helpful but im not sure cutting them to bring back avril at that price is all that helpful. corey williams is still a very good player inside and kvb had a productive season but his leadership and tenacity is infectious and they should try and keep that around as long as possible. its easy to say that fairley should be healthy but if u know the history of 5th metatarsal fractures u know that they are certain to be a chronic problem in a heavy impact athlete like fairley. ahmad bradshaw w the same injury and over 100 pounds lighter is still having problems, yao ming couldnt play 20 minutes a game w/o re injury and had to retire. there are others

now how good would avril be w/o corey, kvb, and suppose fairley out w injury? if it comes down to it and kvb and avril wont take paycuts id let avril walk. u could take that 8 million and re sign tulloch and wright. u could have lojack, young, kvb at end; and maintain a solid group of DTs. Fluellen could stay for a year and offers some value as the 8th man or they could draft a DE if one fell in the draft. its hard to predict what will happen without knowing the cap situation but i have doubts they d just flat out cut corey and kvb to keep uncle cliff. trades for draft picks would be tempting bc if they hit on some of those extra picks thats what keeps u out of future cap problems - u get the player cheap for his first 4 years now pretty much regardless of where they are picked in the draft.

February 3rd, 2012, 3:30 pm
RIP Killer

Who said anything about cutting KVB? I never said anything like that. I could understand cutting Corey Williams, because the fact is he isn't playing to the level of his pay. We can get just as much from a late round DT, or a cheaper free agent DT. Besides which, I think Hill is a more impactful player now than Corey. If CW is willing to take a pay cut, by all means keep him around. His attitude is good, and from what I understand the locker room loves the guy. But business is business.

I wouldn't pay Avril a ton of money, but it's tougher to replace a guy with 11.5 sacks than it is to replace a big body in the middle who doesn't provide any pressure on the QB. If Avril expects to get Julius Peppers type money, then tell him adios. If he's reasonable, they'd be foolish not to resign him.

February 8th, 2012, 9:36 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Ferris wrote:

He's gonna want Charles Johnson money at $12M per year, but I don't see the Lions going over $10M. Hopefully, they can get it done at $8M per year, but I don't think that's likely. Pass rushers with over 10 sacks get primo dollars.

February 14th, 2012, 1:52 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Actually, giving Avril a huge contract makes no sense to me. The guy had like 5 sacks per year his first two seasons, then 8 in his 3rd, and 11 last year. To me his numbers last season may have been, more a product of the talent around him, as well as the scheme.

February 14th, 2012, 7:44 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I've said it for a while--I think they're gonna let him walk. He's quite good, but he's not irreplaceable, and we need the money elsewhere.

February 14th, 2012, 8:00 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
Ferris wrote:

He's gonna want Charles Johnson money at $12M per year, but I don't see the Lions going over $10M. Hopefully, they can get it done at $8M per year, but I don't think that's likely. Pass rushers with over 10 sacks get primo dollars.

I'm hoping the Lions basically install a "cap" on the negotiations at around $9M per season, with the first season having him get around $5.5 to $6M. That would be fair, and would defer money until when the cap grows. Despite Avril getting better stats due to the increased talent beside and opposite from him, he is still beating the man across from him to get to the passer. You just don't get anybody that can do that. Keeping him should be a priority, but not at all costs.

February 17th, 2012, 2:26 pm
m2karateman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Ferris wrote:

I'm hoping the Lions basically install a "cap" on the negotiations at around $9M per season, with the first season having him get around $5.5 to $6M. That would be fair, and would defer money until when the cap grows. Despite Avril getting better stats due to the increased talent beside and opposite from him, he is still beating the man across from him to get to the passer. You just don't get anybody that can do that. Keeping him should be a priority, but not at all costs.

I agree. I'll add... If we can let Avril walk and end up with someone like Porter, I'm all for it. I'd rather draft a DE than a 2nd tier CB, and Willie Young is a LOT like Avril was. With a little time in the weight room and some polishing, he may be able to fill the void for next year.

February 17th, 2012, 6:03 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I hear people call in to Sirius NFL Radio and claim that the Lions should franchise tag Avril.

That usually makes me throw up in my mouth a little. If we have to use any tag on him, it should be the HIGH TENDER NOT the FRANCHISE TAG.

The High tender guarantees Avril the average of the top 10 DE salaries from the last 5 years and Guarantees the Lions a 1st round draft pick if someone should sign him and the Lions don't match the offer.

We either keep him on the tender, or, we get a 1st round draft pick for him so we can replace him with that pick or our own 1st round pick. And we would likely get a comp pick also next year.

February 17th, 2012, 7:06 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
I hear people call in to Sirius NFL Radio and claim that the Lions should franchise tag Avril.

That usually makes me throw up in my mouth a little. If we have to use any tag on him, it should be the HIGH TENDER NOT the FRANCHISE TAG.

The High tender guarantees Avril the average of the top 10 DE salaries from the last 5 years and Guarantees the Lions a 1st round draft pick if someone should sign him and the Lions don't match the offer.

We either keep him on the tender, or, we get a 1st round draft pick for him so we can replace him with that pick or our own 1st round pick. And we would likely get a comp pick also next year.

Aren't tenders only for restricted free agents?

February 17th, 2012, 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next