View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Lions Team Needs 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Lions Team Needs
I wouldn't mind having a high second round pick, as usually that's where you get great value. There's always a handful of guys who thought they were going to be first rounders and for whatever reason they fall. Here is my early opinions on who they may be:

Janoris Jenkins- Dood has talent, but the character concerns are going to push him down the board. There are teams that are willing to take a guy with issues, but getting kicked out of Florida is more than just having a positive test for marijuana at the combine.

Peter Konz- Center is a very undervalued position, specifically in the first round. In the last two years we've seen the Pouncey brothers get drafted in stanza 1, but that doesn't mean there is a sea change coming for the position. Considering this is an area of need for the Lions, IMO, they shouldn't let him pass them at 23.

Dwayne Allen- The TE position is becoming more and more important in today's NFL. Look at the impact guys like Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski have had on their teams offense. Allen isn't in that league, but he's a decent in-line blocker and has the athleticism to line up in the slot and cause mismatch problems for the D. He may get nabbed in the first round by a contender looking to add a different type of threat in their passing game as the depth at the position is somewhat thin this year.

Zach Brown- This is going to depend on what he runs at the combine. He has speed, but what kind will determine if he's worth a mid to late first round pick. I've hear the hokey reports of a 4.35 or whatever, but he'll probably run in the mid 4.5's to 4.6 range. A bit undersized, but a true outside LB.

Dontari Poe- Massive, massive man who could go in the first round as there aren't many guys who weigh 350 lbs who can play with athleticism. With the proliferation of teams running the 3-4, a giant 0 man could bump his stock. He may fall victim to a Terrence Cody type of grade because of his size.

February 1st, 2012, 10:11 am
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I wouldn't mind having a high second round pick, as usually that's where you get great value. There's always a handful of guys who thought they were going to be first rounders and for whatever reason they fall. Here is my early opinions on who they may be:

Janoris Jenkins- Dood has talent, but the character concerns are going to push him down the board. There are teams that are willing to take a guy with issues, but getting kicked out of Florida is more than just having a positive test for marijuana at the combine.

Peter Konz- Center is a very undervalued position, specifically in the first round. In the last two years we've seen the Pouncey brothers get drafted in stanza 1, but that doesn't mean there is a sea change coming for the position. Considering this is an area of need for the Lions, IMO, they shouldn't let him pass them at 23.

Dwayne Allen- The TE position is becoming more and more important in today's NFL. Look at the impact guys like Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski have had on their teams offense. Allen isn't in that league, but he's a decent in-line blocker and has the athleticism to line up in the slot and cause mismatch problems for the D. He may get nabbed in the first round by a contender looking to add a different type of threat in their passing game as the depth at the position is somewhat thin this year.

Zach Brown- This is going to depend on what he runs at the combine. He has speed, but what kind will determine if he's worth a mid to late first round pick. I've hear the hokey reports of a 4.35 or whatever, but he'll probably run in the mid 4.5's to 4.6 range. A bit undersized, but a true outside LB.

Dontari Poe- Massive, massive man who could go in the first round as there aren't many guys who weigh 350 lbs who can play with athleticism. With the proliferation of teams running the 3-4, a giant 0 man could bump his stock. He may fall victim to a Terrence Cody type of grade because of his size.

I agree with everyone u mentioned except Jenkins. I have a feeling he will go top 25 depending on his combine. I think Konz could remain first round too, actually hoping the lions would take him. But I especially agree with u about zack brown.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 1st, 2012, 10:40 am

Earlier in the year I was on the Zach Brown train, since I can't stand DeAndre Levy. I think he's our worst linebacker, and is best suited to be a backup. Whether or not Brown can beat him out is more my concern.

February 2nd, 2012, 10:48 am

And I think you want to get a starter in the first round, if at all possible.

February 2nd, 2012, 10:49 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:

Jenkins would have been EASILY a top ten pick had he not had his off-field issues. However, all reports have said that he was humble and contrite at the Senior Bowl practices and interviews. A number of teams spoke with him and came away impressed by his change in demeanor and his willingness to accept fault and field some difficult questions about his character. His on field ability and his attitude shift will garner him a top 20 pick, in all likelihood. No way he falls out of the first round, IMHO.

Wayne Fontes wrote:

I think we've seen over the past few drafts that this position is not undervalued any longer, particularly when you have a top prospect available. Konz is considered by many to be equally as good as the Pouncey's, or Alex Mack. He can be used at center or guard, possibly even RT. I'd love to see the Lions get him at #23, but it's entirely possible he'll be gone as early as the #18 pick to San Diego.

Wayne Fontes wrote:

I respect your opinion, but our trio of TEs is already productive and I can't see the Lions burning a high round pick to take another one.

Wayne Fontes wrote:

I love the kids athletic ability, but he is Ernie Sims part 2. He doesn't play under control, gets caught looking into the backfield too often and doesn't handle shedding blockers well at all. I'd rather stick with Levy and hope he pulls his head outta his butt this coming season.

Wayne Fontes wrote:

My understanding is that a number of teams have Poe very high on their draft boards, as they see him as a possible Shaun Rogers type impact player. He'd be a terrific fit for a team like Pittsburgh or Houston as a nose tackle, but might also be picked up in the first round by a team like Denver or the Giants, who would like to have a big run stuffing DT in the midst of their front four.
Also, based on what I've heard, while Poe is 350 lbs, he doesn't carry it sloppily like Cody did. That was the issue with Cody, not his size, but rather the way it was carried on him. He was sloppy fat, while Poe and Alameda Ta'amu are seen as "solid" guys who look the part of a football player and not a competitive eater.

February 2nd, 2012, 11:08 am

I'm not suggesting that all these guys are Lions targets, just guys who could see their draft stock rise or fall depending on different circumstances. There are certain things about their position/character/skill set/size etc that make their stock more volatile then first rounders. All of these guys could be firmly in the first round and it wouldn't surprise me. All could end up in the bottom of the first or early second and I wouldn't be overly surprised with it either.

February 2nd, 2012, 12:09 pm
League MVP

i like konz a lot but im not sure he is the power player that pittsburgh's pouncey is. i dont think he will have quite the same immediate impact and could see him slip a little lower into our range.

February 3rd, 2012, 3:56 pm
The Legend wrote:
i like konz a lot but im not sure he is the power player that pittsburgh's pouncey is. i dont think he will have quite the same immediate impact and could see him slip a little lower into our range.

I think he'll be there when we pick, and I think we'll draft someone else. That's not what I want, but it is what I see happening.

February 3rd, 2012, 9:00 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I think he'll be there when we pick, and I think we'll draft someone else. That's not what I want, but it is what I see happening.

+1

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 4th, 2012, 6:28 am

Welcome (officially) to Draft Season!!

Dates to keep in mind:

Feb 20-Mar 5: Teams may designate franchise or transition player
Feb 22-28: NFL Combine
March 2-28: College pro days take place
March 13: Start of League year (beginning of free agency, trading)
March 17: Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to restricted free agents
April 26-28: 2012 NFL Draft

Start of Season- September 6th

February 6th, 2012, 11:34 am
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Welcome (officially) to Draft Season!!

Dates to keep in mind:

Feb 20-Mar 5: Teams may designate franchise or transition player
Feb 22-28: NFL Combine
March 2-28: College pro days take place
March 13: Start of League year (beginning of free agency, trading)
March 17: Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to restricted free agents
April 26-28: 2012 NFL Draft

Start of Season- September 6th

Great post, thanks for the dates!

February 6th, 2012, 11:44 am
League MVP

when can they start talking to free agents? it cant be the same day that free agency starts is it? we always end up hearing how players get signed at midnight - have those players been talking to teams for some time prior to that or do they have there agents hanging out at the house with them in case someone calls/shows up?

February 6th, 2012, 5:54 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
when can they start talking to free agents? it cant be the same day that free agency starts is it? we always end up hearing how players get signed at midnight - have those players been talking to teams for some time prior to that or do they have there agents hanging out at the house with them in case someone calls/shows up?

It is the day it starts. That's why we have the story of Schwartz camping out at Vanden Bosch's house waiting for free agency to start. He called at 12:01. To do so beforehand would be considered tampering.

February 6th, 2012, 10:22 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:

Teams can't contact players until free agency officially starts. Until then they are still under contract with their respective teams. However, if any of the players are released previous to FA starting, then teams can talk to them anytime there after.

February 7th, 2012, 11:12 am
League MVP

so how do they sign players so quickly? is the agent waiting around for example at kvb's house or do they just agree to terms and then figure out the details of the contract later

February 7th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next