View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Stafford named Quarterback of the Year by the NFL Alumni 
Modmin Dude

Post Stafford named Quarterback of the Year by the NFL Alumni
MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford named Quarterback of the Year by the NFL Alumni
Published: Monday, February 06, 2012, 11:55 PM
By Justin Rogers

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford may have been snubbed by the Pro Bowl, but he received a more prestigious honor on Friday night, being named the Quarterback of the Year by the NFL Alumni Foundation at their 30th annual Player of the Year Awards. The program aired on the NFL Network on Monday night.

Stafford beat out Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers for the honor.

"Wow, this is an awesome honor -- I appreciate it," Stafford said during his acceptance speech. "Thank you, first off, to the alumni for voting for me. There are a lot of great quarterbacks that could have won this award and definitely deserved it as well. Any time an award like this is given out, it's an individual award, but really, it's won by the team. I couldn't have done it without the teammates and the coaching staff in Detroit. I'm just happy to be part of that team and be part of this."

Stafford shattered many team records as he became just the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for more than 5,000 yards. He's also one of only seven players to toss more than 40 touchdowns in a season.

Unlike most seasons, where Stafford's numbers would have made him the clear-cut MVP candidate, he took a backseat to other record-setting quarterbacks this season. New Orleans Saints signal-caller Drew Brees crushed Dan Marino's single-season passing yardage mark, and Rodgers, who won the league MVP, finished with a record 122.5 passing rating.

Stafford was also nominated for Player of the Year, along with Rodgers and Maurice-Jones Drew. The Jacksonville Jaguars running back, who led the NFL in rushing this season with 1,606 yards, ended up taking home the award.

Also nominated for the Lions was Calvin Johnson, but award for Wide Receiver of the Year went to New York Giants wideout Hakeem Nicks.

It was the second season in a row that a Lions player walked away with an award from the event. In 2010, Ndamukong Suh was named the Defensive Lineman of the Year. This year that honor went to Chris Long of the St. Louis Rams.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... rd_23.html

February 7th, 2012, 9:56 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Stafford named Quarterback of the Year by the NFL Alumni
Congrats and Happy 24th Birthday Staff!

February 7th, 2012, 10:33 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Receiver of the year to Hakeem Nicks is a joke. Calvin should have gotten that award without any question.

February 7th, 2012, 10:59 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Congrats to Stafford!! :arrow:

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 7th, 2012, 11:43 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
m2karateman wrote:
Receiver of the year to Hakeem Nicks is a joke. Calvin should have gotten that award without any question.

I agree.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

February 7th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Afghan Allstar

Lions2SB2 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I agree.

I don't see how you could even consider arguing for anyone but Calvin. It may be true that other receivers put up better numbers in one category, but no receiver, in the history of the nfl, has put up across the board numbers as good as Calvin's this season.

February 7th, 2012, 1:07 pm
RIP Killer

buell17 wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I agree.

I don't see how you could even consider arguing for anyone but Calvin. It may be true that other receivers put up better numbers in one category, but no receiver, in the history of the nfl, has put up across the board numbers as good as Calvin's this season.

CJ 2012: 96 catches, 1681 yards, 16 TDs

Randy Moss 2003: 111 catches, 1632 yards, 17 TDs (and he had his 98 catch, 23 TD year with the Pats)

but it was a great year for CJ no doubt.

February 7th, 2012, 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Afghan Allstar

Should have checked my facts. I read that somewhere. I'm not sure where.

February 7th, 2012, 1:24 pm
RIP Killer

Greatest season in history or not, comparing the season Calvin had to the season Hakeem had is like comparing a Formula One car to a Toyota Camry.

Calvin Johnson
96 receptions, 1681 yards, 16 TDs, 10 40+ yard plays, 80.2% of his catches resulted in first downs.

Hakeem Nicks
76 catches, 1192 yards, 7 TDs, 5 40+ yard plays, 71.1% of his catches resulted in first downs.

Calvin ranks first in all those categories, except TDs, where Rob Gronkowski caught 17 for the season. His percentage on catches for first downs is highest among receivers with more than 70 receptions on the season. Only two with 60 or more had more % of their receptions go for first downs.

How is this even a close contest? What were the metrics by which they determined who the winner is?

Then again, I'm sure folks in Green Bay and New Orleans are wondering why Stafford won QB of the Year.....

February 8th, 2012, 9:29 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

m2karateman wrote:
Then again, I'm sure folks in Green Bay and New Orleans are wondering why Stafford won QB of the Year.....

Nailed it on the head. This NFL Alumni group must've taken too many shots to the head... (too soon for concussion jokes?)

February 8th, 2012, 11:56 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
m2karateman wrote:
Greatest season in history or not, comparing the season Calvin had to the season Hakeem had is like comparing a Formula One car to a Toyota Camry.

Calvin Johnson
96 receptions, 1681 yards, 16 TDs, 10 40+ yard plays, 80.2% of his catches resulted in first downs.

Hakeem Nicks
76 catches, 1192 yards, 7 TDs, 5 40+ yard plays, 71.1% of his catches resulted in first downs.

Calvin ranks first in all those categories, except TDs, where Rob Gronkowski caught 17 for the season. His percentage on catches for first downs is highest among receivers with more than 70 receptions on the season. Only two with 60 or more had more % of their receptions go for first downs.

How is this even a close contest? What were the metrics by which they determined who the winner is?

Such a landslide.. how does he not win....

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

February 8th, 2012, 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Wayne Fontes wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Nailed it on the head. This NFL Alumni group must've taken too many shots to the head... (too soon for concussion jokes?)

Those jokes are never too soon when you're as insensitive as I am. I had a good laugh. Thanks for that.

February 8th, 2012, 1:33 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know if they took the postseason into account where Nicks put up 28 catches for 444 yards and 4 TDs. That is pretty damn strong, I'd like to see where that ranks all-time (although Fitz blew it up when AZ went a few years back so I doubt he surpased that).

February 8th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Nicks isn't even the best WR on his team.

February 8th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'm happy for Stafford, but who is the NFL Alumni Foundation? No offense intended, but their selections sound like they were made by a bunch of alzheimer patients throwing a nerf ball at a top ten stat list in each category.

February 11th, 2012, 2:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]