View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 10:42 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9499
Location: Dallas
Post Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/02/0 ... criticism/

Quote:
Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism

Republican Rep. Pete Hoekstra, who’s hoping to unseat Democratic Sen. Debbie Stabenow in Michigan, is facing criticism for 30-second ad that aired in Michigan during the Super Bowl and features an Asian woman speaking broken English.

In the ad, the woman rides a bike through rice paddies as Asian-sounding music plays in the background.

“Thank you, Michigan Senator Debbie Spend-it-now,” she says. “Debbie spends so much American money. You borrow more and more from us. Your economy get very weak. Ours get very good. We take your jobs. Thank you, Debbie Spend-it-now.”

The Hoekstra campaign also set up a website, debbiespenditnow.com, that includes Chinese lettering, Chinese flags and an Asian fan.

The Michigan chapter of Asian & Pacific Islander American Vote immediately attacked the spot, saying it “plays on harmful stereotypes of Asians speaking broken English and has stereotypical Chinese music playing in the background.” It called the commercial “very disturbing.”

Republican consultant Mike Murphy tweeted, “Pete Hoekstra Superbowl TV ad in MI Senate race really, really dumb. I mean really.”

Mr. Hoekstra responded to the criticisms Monday morning. “We knew we were taking an aggressive approach on this, but we’re in a time when people are fed up with the spending and we wanted to capture that frustration with the spending,” Mr. Hoekstra said, according to the Detroit Free Press. “It hits Debbie smack-dab between the eyes on the area where she is most vulnerable.”

The $150,000 ad buy will run for two weeks, according to the Hoekstra campaign.


_________________
Image
LB Tweet


February 6th, 2012, 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
Another example of political correctness run amok. The libtards will always get their panties in a bunch and scream "racist" whenever a Republican says or does anything that involves race. However, there's not a peep from them whenever a Democrat does the same thing or worse. Anyone see the clip of Joe Biden giving a speech in New Hampshire last week? He was talking about call center jobs being outsourced, while he mocked and ridiculed Indians by speaking in a broken English Indian accent. That was much more offensive than anything the Super Bowl ad depicted and was akin to Hoekstra speaking the lines in the ad instead of the Asian girl. Can anyone say hypocrisy and double standards?

_________________
Image


February 6th, 2012, 7:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7457
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
I haven't seen the commercial yet. But, I am looking forward to seeing it. It sounds hilarious.

I personally, call her Debbie Stab Him Now.


February 7th, 2012, 11:31 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
slybri19 wrote:
Another example of political correctness run amok. The libtards will always get their panties in a bunch and scream "racist" whenever a Republican says or does anything that involves race. However, there's not a peep from them whenever a Democrat does the same thing or worse. Anyone see the clip of Joe Biden giving a speech in New Hampshire last week? He was talking about call center jobs being outsourced, while he mocked and ridiculed Indians by speaking in a broken English Indian accent. That was much more offensive than anything the Super Bowl ad depicted and was akin to Hoekstra speaking the lines in the ad instead of the Asian girl. Can anyone say hypocrisy and double standards?

The hypocrisy and double standards are in your post. You have a problem with Biden's behavior (describing it as offensive), but consider criticism of Hoekstra to be "political correctness run amok".

Frankly, I find both to be pretty poor behaviour (assuming your discription of Biden is correct). What Biden did doesn't make what Hoekstra did ok - it makes both of them idiots.


February 8th, 2012, 6:54 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
BillySims wrote:
I haven't seen the commercial yet. But, I am looking forward to seeing it. It sounds hilarious.

I personally, call her Debbie Stab Him Now.


I was at the Sterling Heights Cultural Exchange last weekend, and she was there. The reception she received from the crowd was tepid, at best. It was hilarious.....

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 8th, 2012, 10:04 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3143
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
UK Lion wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Another example of political correctness run amok. The libtards will always get their panties in a bunch and scream "racist" whenever a Republican says or does anything that involves race. However, there's not a peep from them whenever a Democrat does the same thing or worse. Anyone see the clip of Joe Biden giving a speech in New Hampshire last week? He was talking about call center jobs being outsourced, while he mocked and ridiculed Indians by speaking in a broken English Indian accent. That was much more offensive than anything the Super Bowl ad depicted and was akin to Hoekstra speaking the lines in the ad instead of the Asian girl. Can anyone say hypocrisy and double standards?

The hypocrisy and double standards are in your post. You have a problem with Biden's behavior (describing it as offensive), but consider criticism of Hoekstra to be "political correctness run amok".

Frankly, I find both to be pretty poor behaviour (assuming your discription of Biden is correct). What Biden did doesn't make what Hoekstra did ok - it makes both of them idiots.

+1

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


February 8th, 2012, 10:50 am
Profile
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
She's horrid and she never should have gotten re-elected. She gets by on name recognition alone, and lack of a worthy opponent. She is a horrible congress person.

I use to vote for Carl Levin, not anymore. Not after Obamacare.


February 8th, 2012, 2:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7457
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
wjb21ndtown wrote:
She's horrid and she never should have gotten re-elected. She gets by on name recognition alone, and lack of a worthy opponent. She is a horrible congress person.

I use to vote for Carl Levin, not anymore. Not after Obamacare.


I haven't voted for Levin since the very first time I voted. At that time I was told I was a Democrat because my Dad was a Democrat and my Grandpa was a Democrat and that just who we are. 1984 I was finally old enough to vote. I voted Democrat for4 everything, EXCEPT, I voted for Regan for president. I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Carter.

Anyway, Regan showed me that the Democrats in Congress were not the same as they were when my Dad and Grandpa were younger. They had changed from Democrat to Socialists. I have voted Republican ever since. But, I might be voting for the Libertarian candidate this year if Romney wins the Republican nomination. I can't stand the thought of plugging my nose and voting for that fraud, ( wolf in sheep's clothing ).

Edited to add:

I think that after more than 30 years as one of Michigan's Senators, it is high time that we retire Levin when he is up for re-election in 2 years.


February 8th, 2012, 3:58 pm
Profile
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
She's horrid and she never should have gotten re-elected. She gets by on name recognition alone, and lack of a worthy opponent. She is a horrible congress person.

I use to vote for Carl Levin, not anymore. Not after Obamacare.


I haven't voted for Levin since the very first time I voted. At that time I was told I was a Democrat because my Dad was a Democrat and my Grandpa was a Democrat and that just who we are. 1984 I was finally old enough to vote. I voted Democrat for4 everything, EXCEPT, I voted for Regan for president. I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Carter.

Anyway, Regan showed me that the Democrats in Congress were not the same as they were when my Dad and Grandpa were younger. They had changed from Democrat to Socialists. I have voted Republican ever since. But, I might be voting for the Libertarian candidate this year if Romney wins the Republican nomination. I can't stand the thought of plugging my nose and voting for that fraud, ( wolf in sheep's clothing ).

Edited to add:

I think that after more than 30 years as one of Michigan's Senators, it is high time that we retire Levin when he is up for re-election in 2 years.


Carl Levin is actually a family friend, and I respected him when he was drilling the boarder security guards after 9/11. He was the only Senator that had the intelligence and wherewithall to not accept answers that it was the "computers" fault that people weren't being checked for outstanding warrants when they crossed the boarders, even when they were stopped and checked thoroughly. Other Senators would accept answers like "the computer doesn't do that"... Levin wouldn't accept that, and demanded to know why no one programmed the computers to check relevant information, and he demanded to know what resources were needed to be able to do these checks on a relatively expedited fashion.

That said, after he voted to pass Obamacare I was done with him. He should be on the next ship out of there, IMO, and I will never personally vote for him again.


February 8th, 2012, 5:58 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
UK Lion wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Another example of political correctness run amok. The libtards will always get their panties in a bunch and scream "racist" whenever a Republican says or does anything that involves race. However, there's not a peep from them whenever a Democrat does the same thing or worse. Anyone see the clip of Joe Biden giving a speech in New Hampshire last week? He was talking about call center jobs being outsourced, while he mocked and ridiculed Indians by speaking in a broken English Indian accent. That was much more offensive than anything the Super Bowl ad depicted and was akin to Hoekstra speaking the lines in the ad instead of the Asian girl. Can anyone say hypocrisy and double standards?

The hypocrisy and double standards are in your post. You have a problem with Biden's behavior (describing it as offensive), but consider criticism of Hoekstra to be "political correctness run amok".

Frankly, I find both to be pretty poor behaviour (assuming your discription of Biden is correct). What Biden did doesn't make what Hoekstra did ok - it makes both of them idiots.


Did you see me post about Biden when he did it? Nope. I simply laughed at him and moved on. I was never offended by it because it takes a lot more than that to get me upset. However, when the libtards got all butt hurt over something that is even less offensive than Biden's actions, it is time to call them out on their hypocrisy, so that's what I did. Deal with it.

This is just another example of the double standard applied by the media, as well. Most of you probably never knew that Biden mocked the Indian people with a fake accent before I posted it because it wasn't covered by the NFM (Non Fox Media). However, all the lamestream media outlets made damn sure they talked about the Hoekstra ad. If anybody can't see the hypocrisy in this, you're part of the problem, not the solution.

_________________
Image


February 11th, 2012, 12:27 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
slybri19 wrote:
Did you see me post about Biden when he did it?

No, but I saw what you said in your post above. Which, contrasted with what you had to say about Hoekstra's advert, was clearly hypocritical.


February 13th, 2012, 6:08 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
UK Lion, since you live across the pond, it is no surprise to me that you embrace libtardism, and thus, are incapable of seeing your own hypocrisy. To any sane individual, my comment would be seen as a response to hypocrisy, but that obviously isn't the case here. As I said before, you're part of the problem, not the solution. If I'm a hypocrite for exposing the truth, then so be it.

As everyone knows, I hate political correctness and I sometimes go out of my way to be as politically incorrect as possible. In fact, I often attempt to be offensive on purpose, just because. I believe in truth, but the PC world believes that it's better to lie in order to not hurt anybody's feelings than to be truthful. Sometimes the truth hurts, so some people need to put their big girl panties on, not be so overly sensitive, and deal with it.

_________________
Image


February 14th, 2012, 12:56 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
sly - nice attempt at diverting from what is a very simple point.

I have not said anything about liberalism in my posts in this thread. Nor have I addressed at any point whether there is hypocrisy in the mainstream media's handling of these two stories. So the content of your replies to me around these areas are, frankly, pointless. I have said nothing on either.

The sole, and very simple, point I have made is your differing descriptions of the two incidents. If you consider that what Biden did was absolutely fine, then please do say so (and any suggestion of your hypocrisy goes away). If you consider that what Hoekstra did was not ok, then again please do say so (and, again, any suggestion of your hypocrisy goes away). If you want to leave your first post as your only statement on the issue of how you view each person's statements, then be prepared to continue to be labled a hypocrite (truth hurts, huh? Best get your big girl panties on ...).

The question of how the media handled each event is a seperate one to the above, and is a question I have not addressed so please do direct your ire on that issue elsewhere.


February 14th, 2012, 7:01 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism
UK Lion, you obviously didn't read my post above when I said about Biden, "I simply laughed at him and moved on. I was never offended by it." I never would have even mentioned it, if not for the libtard double standard and hypocrisy about the Hoekstra ad. I could take it a step further and mention that some idiot on CNN said that Newt would win the "cracker counties" in Florida a day before the primary. No libtards got their panties in a bunch about that, but I bet they would have screamed their lungs out if he had said that Romney would win the "spic counties". See what I mean? If you don't, you're clueless and I'm done discussing this with you. Political correctness sucks and must be defeated.

_________________
Image


February 17th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.