View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts. 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts.
I think giving Adams an undue amount of credit for stonewalling Coples is a little misguided. I agree he is probably the top DE, but he has been so inconsistent during his years at UNC, his grades have been way up or way down.

February 2nd, 2012, 1:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
couple things to cover:

Mike Adams - Adams didn't "stink" at the Senior Bowl practices, he was just not that consistent. The fact that in the game he was able to effectively stonewall Quinton Coples should help his stock somewhat. Most scouts agree that Adams has first round, LT ability. He just isn't the complete technician that some of the higher rated prospects are. If he ever puts it all together, he could be a steal as a late first round pick.

If he is inconsistent, HE IS NOT 1st ROUND WORTHY :!: Let some other team end up with the egg all over their face. Gosder = inconsistent. Gosder stinks.

I do not believe he is a 1st round talent.

Gosder was viewed as a reach in a big way when the Lions took him. He carried a mid second round grade for many teams and scouts. But we all know Millen drafted for need, not necessarily for talent or value.

Adams was inconsistent at the practice, NOT during the game. In the game, he was impressive and consistently stopped the person across from him. And although the scouts and coaches go to the Senior Bowl to look at players in practice, it's not like they completely ignore what happens during the game. They just don't pay attention to the results because of the numerous factors (unfamiliar players, unfamiliar systems, unfamiliar coaches, etc.). I guarantee you that teams will take a closer look at Mike Adams now because of the way he handled Coples during that game. Remember, Coples is considered THE top pass rusher in this class, and Adams stonewalled him. Believe me, teams will take a closer look at him. And it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a team like Arizona take him over Reilly Rieff, because Adams may end up being a better LT in the pros than Rieff. If he's still available past pick #23 or 24, you can fully expect someone like the Colts or or Vikings to try and trade up to land him in round one. They won't expect him to drop.

And those teams are more than welcome to make a monumental mistake.

February 2nd, 2012, 2:13 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I think giving Adams an undue amount of credit for stonewalling Coples is a little misguided. I agree he is probably the top DE, but he has been so inconsistent during his years at UNC, his grades have been way up or way down.

He's considered a top 10 pick in what amounts to a pretty strong draft. Coples isn't perfect, I agree. But he's considered a better prospect than Quinn was last year. There's something to be said about that.

And what I said is that teams will see what he did against Coples and give Adams closer scrutiny, not instantly fall in love with him. But it comes down to this.....Minnesota and Indianapolis are in NEED of a left tackle. If neither one of them gets one of measure in free agency, then they will try to get one in the draft. Castonzo isn't ready to slide to the left tackle spot, and the Vikings have basically said that they screwed up by letting McKinnie go. We can safely assume that Indy will take Luck. There is also the possibility that St. Louis takes Kalil with the second pick, which leaves Minnesota the option to trade down to a team looking to get Robert Griffin, or take the BPA on their board, which would likely be Justin Blackmon or Morris Claiborne. They will still be looking for a LT.

Let's imagine Kalil, Rieff, Martin and Glenn are off the board when the Lions pick at #23. They pass on Adams under the assumption they've either extended Backus or signed Gaither, as has been suggested they want to do.

The remaining teams in round one are:
Pittsburgh
Denver
Houston
New England (twice)
Green Bay
Baltimore
San Francisco
NY Giants

If Adams is still on the board, there are at least four teams in that list that could select him: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore and the Giants. They all have needs on their offensive line, and are looking for left tackles to develop. Pittsburgh in particular wants a blindside protector. I'd be SHOCKED if Adams in on the board at their pick and they don't take him.

The nearest prospect to Adams among collegiate left tackles is Zebrie Sanders, and most scouts agree that he is not a legitimate first round talent, but Adams is. While Adams raised his stock at the Senior Bowl, Sanders stock has dropped since then. Most of the draft sites that I've looked at have raised their value on Adams since the Senior Bowl, while the stock on Zebrie Sanders has fallen. Kelechi Osemele has largely been removed from consideration as a tackle prospect and will be looked at strictly as a guard prospect in the NFL, since he struggled mightily just playing RT during the practices at the Senior Bowl.

I understand you may not be a big Mike Adams fan. That's fine, neither am I (he's a Buckeye, after all). But I won't ignore what scouts and analsysts have put in print about him since the Senior Bowl.

February 2nd, 2012, 2:25 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

He's considered a top 10 pick in what amounts to a pretty strong draft. Coples isn't perfect, I agree. But he's considered a better prospect than Quinn was last year. There's something to be said about that.

And what I said is that teams will see what he did against Coples and give Adams closer scrutiny, not instantly fall in love with him. But it comes down to this.....Minnesota and Indianapolis are in NEED of a left tackle. If neither one of them gets one of measure in free agency, then they will try to get one in the draft. Castonzo isn't ready to slide to the left tackle spot, and the Vikings have basically said that they screwed up by letting McKinnie go. We can safely assume that Indy will take Luck. There is also the possibility that St. Louis takes Kalil with the second pick, which leaves Minnesota the option to trade down to a team looking to get Robert Griffin, or take the BPA on their board, which would likely be Justin Blackmon or Morris Claiborne. They will still be looking for a LT.

Let's imagine Kalil, Rieff, Martin and Glenn are off the board when the Lions pick at #23. They pass on Adams under the assumption they've either extended Backus or signed Gaither, as has been suggested they want to do.

The remaining teams in round one are:
Pittsburgh
Denver
Houston
New England (twice)
Green Bay
Baltimore
San Francisco
NY Giants

If Adams is still on the board, there are at least four teams in that list that could select him: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore and the Giants. They all have needs on their offensive line, and are looking for left tackles to develop. Pittsburgh in particular wants a blindside protector. I'd be SHOCKED if Adams in on the board at their pick and they don't take him.

The nearest prospect to Adams among collegiate left tackles is Zebrie Sanders, and most scouts agree that he is not a legitimate first round talent, but Adams is. While Adams raised his stock at the Senior Bowl, Sanders stock has dropped since then. Most of the draft sites that I've looked at have raised their value on Adams since the Senior Bowl, while the stock on Zebrie Sanders has fallen. Kelechi Osemele has largely been removed from consideration as a tackle prospect and will be looked at strictly as a guard prospect in the NFL, since he struggled mightily just playing RT during the practices at the Senior Bowl.

I understand you may not be a big Mike Adams fan. That's fine, neither am I (he's a Buckeye, after all). But I won't ignore what scouts and analsysts have put in print about him since the Senior Bowl.

Have to agree. I heard or read somewhere that Adams is considered to have considerable upside, and that with a couple of years of development, might turn out to be the best tackle of this draft. Who's to say, never know who's gonna blossom or who won't.

February 6th, 2012, 3:22 pm
RIP Killer

Latest Draft Tek Consensus Mock Draft - Lions picks

R1 - OG Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State
Can play guard or even right tackle, where Gosder Cherilus is seen by some as the weakest link on the Lions offensive line. Big man with a nasty attitude, would add power in the running game.

R2 - CB Coryell Judie, Texas A&M
Probably not going to evolve into a shutdown corner, but he has good instincts and ball skills. He is a dependable tackler in run support and could be the replacement for Eric Wright if he leaves in FA

R3 - SS Antonio Allen, South Carolina
Would be an upgrade over Amari Spievey, and has pretty good range. At over six foot and 210 lbs., he can match up with tight ends pretty well.

R4 - OT Matt McCants, UAB

R5 - DE Malik Jackson, Tennessee

R6 - OC William Vlachos, Alabama

R7 - QB Russell Wilson, Wisconsin

**Comments shown above are my own, and not what is shown on the Draft Tek website.

February 8th, 2012, 9:50 am
RIP Killer

Another full 7 round mock from NFL Draft Site, Lions projected picks:

R1 - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
HATE this pick. Dennard showed during the Senior Bowl he is not a first round talent, as he had trouble against even the small school receivers.

R2 - LB Sean Spence, Miami FLA
And I thought I hated the first pick. This one is equally as bad. The Lions don't need another undersized linebacker, ala Ernie Sims, who will bounce off big backs like Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte.

R3 - OC David Molk, Michigan
I'm beginning to think the individuals responsible for this mock have a serious alcohol abuse problem. Molk is a 5th round talent, at best.

R4 - DE Donte Paige-Moss, UNC
Coming off a serious knee injury, he could be a bargain here as he was considered a borderline first rounder at one time. This is a gamble.

R5 - OT Mitchell Schwartz, California

R6 - Forfeited

R7 - WR B.J. Cunningham, Michigan State

February 8th, 2012, 9:59 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Another full 7 round mock from NFL Draft Site, Lions projected picks:

R1 - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
HATE this pick. Dennard showed during the Senior Bowl he is not a first round talent, as he had trouble against even the small school receivers.

R2 - LB Sean Spence, Miami FLA
And I thought I hated the first pick. This one is equally as bad. The Lions don't need another undersized linebacker, ala Ernie Sims, who will bounce off big backs like Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte.

R3 - OC David Molk, Michigan
I'm beginning to think the individuals responsible for this mock have a serious alcohol abuse problem. Molk is a 5th round talent, at best.

R4 - DE Donte Paige-Moss, UNC
Coming off a serious knee injury, he could be a bargain here as he was considered a borderline first rounder at one time. This is a gamble.

R5 - OT Mitchell Schwartz, California

R6 - Forfeited

R7 - WR B.J. Cunningham, Michigan State

Ya that mock is very unrealistic and sucks pretty bad if it happened. Dennard is WAY down on my list, and i would be pissed if we drafted that little tiny center from Michigan.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 8th, 2012, 12:44 pm

I don't like the top two picks, but the Mitch Schwartz pick might be ok. The Donte Paige-Moss is awful. He's got injury and character concerns and I wouldn't touch him with a 12 foot pole. As for Cunningham... I wouldn't hate it. Molk would be better in a different scheme, but not the Lions.

February 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

WalterFootball.com just posted a 4 round draft today. Lions picks are:

23- Nick Perry, DE, USC

54- David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

86- Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina

117- James Brown, OT, Troy

February 8th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
WalterFootball.com just posted a 4 round draft today. Lions picks are:

23- Nick Perry, DE, USC

54- David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

86- Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina

117- James Brown, OT, Troy

I could live with this. I think I'd rather have Whitney mercilus at that point if we go DE though.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 8th, 2012, 8:01 pm

I'm not really sold on Mercilus because he was a one year wonder type of guy. Nick Perry... I think he might go sooner because there aren't a whole lot of great pass rushers in this draft he'll get taken sooner than he really should.

February 10th, 2012, 12:23 pm
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I'm not really sold on Mercilus because he was a one year wonder type of guy. Nick Perry... I think he might go sooner because there aren't a whole lot of great pass rushers in this draft he'll get taken sooner than he really should.

I agree on both mercilus and perry, but what I do like about mercilus is u know he at least has that ability. In my mock I have perry going to Arizona.

February 10th, 2012, 3:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wayne Fontes wrote:

I like the Mercilus idea... Reminded me of another 1 year wonder, JJ Watt (Although Lighter and more of a True 4-3 DE Pasrusher than a 3-4/4-3 DE Hybrid) who I wish the Lions had been able to draft as I had him picked out as my favorite Pick 8-15 value DL last year.

February 12th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

National Football Post wrote:
Mock Draft 3.0

by Wes Bunting
FEBRUARY 15, 02012
Print This
Our newest mock draft of the season…

1. Indianapolis Colts: Stanford QB Andrew Luck
Despite the chatter about Baylor QB Robert Griffin III, I have a hard time believing this pick can be anyone other than Luck.

ICONKalil isn't going to last long on draft day.

2. St. Louis Rams: Southern Cal OT Matt Kalil
The Rams might be best suited to simply improve the offensive line with the top tackle available and stick at pick two. Kalil has the ability to develop into a franchise left tackle and become the blindside protector of the future.

3. Minnesota Vikings: Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon
QB Christian Ponder showed some flashes this year, but getting the signal caller a big time talent at receiver is a must. Blackmon isn’t an elite prospect, but should be a productive option from day one because of his ability to run after the catch.

4. Cleveland Browns: Baylor QB Robert Griffin III The Browns need to upgrade the quarterback position and RG3 has the kind of talent, confidence and overall work ethic to make good on his elite upside.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Alabama RB Trent Richardson
If you want a prospect who can take pressure off a young quarterback in the run game Richardson is your guy. He’s strong, explosive, physical, and might be the safest prospect in the draft.

6. Washington Redskins: LSU CB Morris Claiborne
Is corner the biggest need for the Redskins? No. However, Claiborne is the best prospect still on the board at any of the priority positions and you can never have too many corners.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: North Carolina DL Quinton Coples
Looking over the depth chart, the Jaguars need to find a consistent threat off the edge. Coples has the talent to be as good as he wants at the next level and gives Jacksonville the kind of talented defensive lineman they desperately need.

8. Carolina Panthers: Penn State DT Devon Still The Panthers need a big body inside who can anchor on contact, push the pocket and find the football. Still isn’t a dynamic pass rusher and there are some other linemen on the board with a little more talent. But he has the size to fend off blocks inside and in my mind is one of the safer defensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft.

ICONTannehill looks like a first-round QB.

9. Miami Dolphins: Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill
The Dolphins have received pretty average quarterback play over the past couple seasons and adding a talent like Tannehill who has the skill set to mature into a franchise QB could be too good to pass up at nine.

10. Buffalo Bills: LSU DT Michael Brockers
The idea of Brockers playing the five-technique with DL Marcell Dareus playing next to him inside gives the Bills one of the most talented young defensive line units in the NFL.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Ohio State OT Mike Adams You have to think after the struggles the Chiefs had at right tackle last season, drafting a guy like Adams who has the size and athleticism to handle powerful NFL pass rushers is a must for them this offseason.

12. Seattle Seahawks: Southern Cal DE/OLB Nick Perry
Finding a guy who can create pressure off the edge opposite Chris Clemons is a must. Perry has an explosive first step, is learning to use his hands and could end up being one of the better sack artists to come out of this year’s class.

13. Arizona Cardinals: Iowa OT Riley Reiff
The Cardinals have a lack of talent up front and adding a lineman like Reiff who can play a number of spots along the offensive line and win in both the run and pass game is a solid choice at 13.

14. Dallas Cowboys: Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick
The Cowboys have to be thrilled with both Kirkpatrick and Stanford OG David DeCastro still on the board. However, I see them opting for the big corner because of the overall priority of the position.

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Boston College ILB Luke Kuechly A tackling machine with good size, natural instincts and knowledge to fend off blocks and find the football. Is the kind of talent the Eagles need inside to improve their struggling linebacking corps.

ICONDeCastro is quick to get out to the second level.

16. New York Jets: Stanford OG David DeCastro
DeCastro has the ability to become one of the NFL’s best interior linemen and will instantly improve the Jets offense in both the run and pass game.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins Jenkins is a bit undersized and he does have some character concerns. However, he’s a fluid kid with a “plus” initial burst and when motivated he’s about as tough as any corner in the draft to separate from.

18. San Diego Chargers: Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw Upshaw is a thick, powerful kid who can line up all over the Chargers 34 front and get after the passer. He’s got the power to win consistently on contact vs. both the run and pass game.

19. Chicago Bears: Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd
Floyd has the ability to run the entire route tree, create after the catch and win down the field. There are some questions about him vs. press coverage, but he’s the kind of talent the Bears need on offense.

20. Tennessee Titans: Memphis DT Dontari Poe
If there is one guy who’s going to get a ton of buzz following the NFL Combine it’s Poe. There aren’t too many guys at his size that can do what he does athletically and he’s only starting to scratch the surface of his potential.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Georgia OL Cordy Glenn
Glenn is a powerful body who can maul defenders in the run game and more than hold his own inside vs. the pass.

22. Cleveland Browns: Baylor WR Kendall Wright
Wright might be the draft’s top vertical threat and has the ability to open up a lot of options for the Browns offense down the field.

23. Detroit Lions: Stanford OT Jonathan Martin
Getting a potential franchise left tackle at 23 has to be a thrill for the Lions. Martin is an athletic pass blocker who needs to get stronger, but has the talent to hold his own in space vs. the pass game.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Wisconsin OL Peter Konz
Konz has the ability to play both center and guard at the next level and gives the Steelers a real upgrade inside.

ICONTa’amu has the kind of size to anchor up front.

25. Denver Broncos: Washington DT Alameda Ta’amu
Adding some beef up front to the defensive line is a major need for the Broncos. Ta’amu isn’t going to create much of a pass rush, but he has the ability to win on run downs and get the Broncos defense into obvious pass rushing situations.

26. Houston Texans: Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill
Hill is going to need to become a more consistent route runner. However, at 6-5 he showcases some natural short-area quickness to his game and knows how to go up and get the football. Could be one of the “hot” names following the 2012 NFL Combine.

27. New England Patriots: Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox
He’s a tall, long-armed defensive lineman with an explosive first step, can penetrate and possesses some scheme versatility. Seems like an ideal late first-round Patriots type pick.

28. Green Bay Packers: South Carolina OLB/DE Melvin Ingram Finding another pass rusher off the edge is becoming more of pressing need for the Packers and Ingram has the ability to reach the QB in a number of ways both from a two- and three-point stance.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Alabama ILB Dont’a Hightower
Hightower is a “plus” run defender who can be used as a blitzer inside or a pass rusher off the edge. His versatility on third down gives the Ravens even more options in pressure situations.

ICONSanu could go late in round one.

30. San Francisco 49ers: Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu
The 49ers have a glairing need at the wide receiver position and could be looking to upgrade. Sanu is a monster with good quickness for his size and a real physical dimension to his game. He offers the ability to run after the catch and can contribute inside from day one.

31. New England Patriots: Alabama SS Mark Barron New England has had to piece together its secondary this year, but in terms of talent the Pats could certainly use an upgrade at a number of spots. Barron is a smart, instinctive safety with good ball skills, can play in the box and be effective bumping/running with tight ends underneath.

32. New York Giants: Stanford TE Coby Fleener
As if this offense needs another weapon on it. However, Fleener has the ability to be that every-down type “on the line Y” who can create down the field and at 6-6, 245 pounds has the size to mature into a very capable blocker.

Follow me on twitter: @WesBunting

Check out the NFP Draft page here...

February 15th, 2012, 8:11 am
Team MVP

Obviously Wes Bunting knows WAY more than I do, but does he really think Jonathan Martin will fall that far?

February 15th, 2012, 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next