View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 2012 NFL Mock Draft 
Baton Girl

Post New 2012 NFL Mock Draft
Hey guys, I've updated my mock draft for the end of the season/pre-combine.

You can check it out here: http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/MockDraft2012.html

Let me know what you think. Would love to hear your feedback!

February 5th, 2012, 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Post Re: New 2012 NFL Mock Draft
correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we run the cover 2 any more.

February 5th, 2012, 7:57 pm
Team MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we run the cover 2 any more.

I think you are correct.

NO on Zack Brown.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 5th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Actually, we still play Cover 2 quite a bit, but we don't have that religious devotion we had to it under Hot Rod.

Quote:
Breaking down Brees vs. the Lions' Cover 2
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bre ... ver-2.html
by Matt Bowen
JANUARY 07, 02012
Print This
In the Saints 45-28 win over the Lions tonight, the Detroit defense gave up two big plays in Cover 2—a scheme designed to limit the vertical game. Let’s break them down and talk some Xs and Os.

ICONBrees targeted the Lions' Cover 2 scheme tonight in the Saints' 45-28 win.

Drew Brees to Devery Henderson (41-yard TD): A deep double-move (corner-post) at the top of the route stem. The same route concept I broke down from the perspective of Calvin Johnson and the Lions on Thursday at the NFP. The Saints use pre-snap motion to allow Henderson a free release (CB will jam in Cover 2) and to get the WR matched up vs. a deep half safety. Work vertically up the field, force the safety to open his hips and break back to the post. It is a route that routinely targets Cover 2 safeties. And it is no different than playing off-man coverage in Cover 1 with no help. Tough spot to be in and a situation Brees and the Saints took advantage of.

Drew Brees to Robert Meachem (56-yard TD): This looked like a blown coverage from the Lions’ secondary, but it is more about the technique (and eyes) of the deep half safety. Two vertical routes (seam routes) down the field. The safety has to play with depth on top of his landmark (top of the numbers), read the QB and break on the throw. Here, Brees looks to the inside vertical seam, forces the safety to jump the No.2 WR and finds a wide-open Meachem along the sideline. A concept Cover 2 teams see every Sunday and a route designed to put the safety in an adverse situation where he has to trust the discipline of the scheme.

The Saints put up over 600-plus yards of total offense vs. the Lions tonight, but I still focus on the deep ball when we talk scheme and the Cover 2 defense. Two plays that went for six points that could have been prevented with better technique from the safety position.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattBowen41

February 5th, 2012, 9:44 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Quote:

You can check it out here: http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/MockDraft2012.html

Let me know what you think. Would love to hear your feedback

definitely a reasonable mock draft

32. giants at 32 would maybe be more inclined to take a DT rather than a DE but their history shows they value passrushers so i can understand your pick for them. they also need a lot of help at LB and I wouldnt be surprised to see them take a RB with Bradshaw's foot problems and Jacobs getting close to 30, lamar miller might get a look if available.
31. Pats - agree, need help w a defense that has been getting by with weak personnel.
30. 49ers - seems high for zeitler though i think he s good. i also dont see 49ers taking an OL in rd 1. they have a solid line and if u identified guard as a weakness i think they could maybe the same player in rd 2 or another decent guard later or somewhat cheap in free agency. there offense is in need of some explosive players to keep alex smith productive, wr, this may also be where a TE ends up going in rd 1. I know they have VD but NE has shown u can use more than 1.
29. Ravens - Konz makes sense but i have a hard time seeing them pass on Burfict if he s there.
28. Packers - agree w ur breakdown.
27. Pats - would be the perfect place for Jenkins though i hope the Patriots dont get him
26. texans - agree with the position choice but Jeffery doenst seem to fit the type of receiver they need, someone more like titus young
25. broncos - agee w ur pick but would they reach up and grab a brock osweiler or do they believe in tebow?
24. steelers - reasonable pick, but i think they ll end up with someone who projects to LT
23. lions - brown would be a reasonable pick if it plays out like this, im just not very high on him.
22. browns - i think wright would be a great value and need there
21. bengals - i could see the RB pick but i dont thats the player they d go with
20. titans - ingram at 20 is a steal, i hope he falls a lil more
19. bears - badly need a wr, could be dramatically better if they hit with that pick. their OL is pretty desperate too. konz might work and they could put garza back at guard
18. chargers - agree on barron, maybe could see zach brown going here
17. bengals - brockers seems like a great pick
16. jets - some mocks have them taking barron but i think the ol was the bigger problem this year esp if they get healthy at safety
15. eagels - if they lose desean jackson i could see kendall wright going here, but i think ur pick is reasonable
14. cowboys - tough to project trades but i think they ll do what it takes to get a corner, either claiborne, jenkins, or kirpatrick in that order
13. cards - i dont know much about zona so ill take ur word for it. would have 2 great corner prospects though there arent any great passing teams in their division just yet, very valuable if they ever become a playoff team again
12. seattle - hard to imagine they wont pick a qb here unless they ve landed peyton manning. they ve got a very strong team if they solve this issue.
11. KC - decastro might be the rare guard that pushes top 10 pick. do they need a qb? maybe nick foles in rd 2?
10. bills - martin fills the biggest need for them
9. carolina - they need nfl players on that defense anywhere. i see them taking upshaw or ingram though
8. miami - this pick doesnt make sense to me, they ve got bush with thomas looking like a possible starter too and w.o a major injury.
7. jags - coples going to be a high pick though they have glaring needs at offensive skill spots too
6. redskins - may trade up to go after rg3 which i think they will. if cleveland ends up w rg3 i think skins still have to take a qb though they should probably reposition themselves if they are choosing bw osweiler, foles, tennehill. may end up w qbs rising on boards as we get closer to the draft
5. bucs - good pick
4. browns - have to take rg3 if he s there or blackmon if rg3 is gone
3. vikings - perfect pick for the queens
2. rams - though bradford needs weapons i think they might take claiborne
1. colts - luck all the way

February 6th, 2012, 12:15 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know why, but everytime I open the link it shows the mock you posted after week 13.

February 6th, 2012, 12:38 pm
RIP Killer

Here is a mock I posted on my blog:

Post 2012 Super Bowl Mock Draft - One Round
Well, the Super Bowl is complete and the New York Football Giants have the right to call themselves World Champions after beating the Patriots 21-17. On to other things. The Combines will happen later this month and mock drafts will spring up like mushrooms in a cow field after a summer rain. Well, not one to resist the temptation, here is my first mock on this blog for the 2012 NFL season. No trades shown, although there will be a number of them on draft day.

1. Colts - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
It's an obvious pick, and for obvious reasons. I think this team has set the stage for Peyton Manning to be either traded or cut outright. He won't see a dime of that $28 million he's due in March. Even if they get him to renegotiate that ludicrous deal, they'll stick with the idea of taking Andrew Luck. Life after Peyton is going to happen, perhaps sooner than later.

2. Rams - OT Matt Kalil, USC
The Rams don't have a dire need at left tackle, but the fact is that Roger Saffold can be inconsistent and would probably be best either on the right side, where Jason Smith has been a major disappointment, or at his collegiate position of guard. Either way, Matt Kalil is being regarded by many as the best offensive tackle prospect in half a decade. Keeping Sam Bradford upright needs to be the concern in St. Louis. Kalil is a tremendous pass blocker.

3. Vikings - CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
It will probably be a tough thing for the Vikings to pass on receiver Justin Blackmon, but corners like Claiborne don't come along too often, and the Vikings know they can still get a solid big possession receiver later in the draft. Claiborne gives them a solid cover corner, something they lack, as well as someone who can fill in for Percy Harvin as a punt returner. In all likelihood the Vikings won't even make this pick, as a couple of teams will be calling them about wanting to move up to take Robert Griffin III, ahead of the Cleveland Browns. If they decide to stay, Claiborne is the better value pick above Justin Blackmon.

4. Browns - QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
I am not convinced that Colt McCoy is the root of all evil in Cleveland. However, few can doubt that Griffin is the much better athlete and has a ton more upside than McCoy. The Browns certainly have numerous other needs, but after seeing what an athletic quarterback who can run and throw did for the Carolina Panthers, the Browns would foolish to pass on the chance of mimicking that success. In the NFL it is all about the talent you have behind center. The Browns need to upgrade there to take the next step and contend in the AFC North.

5. Buccaneers - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
Many consider Richardson the best running back prospect to come out of college since Adrian Peterson. Despite having LeGarrette Blount on the roster, Richardson would give the Buccaneers an awesome duo in their backfield and take a bunch of pressure off Josh Freeman. I don't know that Richardson will attain the success that Peterson has in the NFL, but he certainly has the tools to be an impact player immediately for this struggling franchise.

6. Redskins - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Make no mistake, I don't expect the Redskins to be selecting here. I suspect that they will make their overtures to either St. Louis or Minnesota to try and move up to get RG3. If they somehow fail or get outbid, they will likely look to move down and get value for picking another QB later, likely Ryan Tannehill. However, if they decide to stay put, Justin Blackmon would make really good sense here. The Redskins need a quarterback to be sure, but they could also use a clear cut stud receiver, and quite frankly Jabar Gaffney, Santana Moss and Donte Stallworth all come up short in that area. I have no doubt that the Redskins will be players in free agency and the draft for a quarterback, but getting that signal caller a big time receiver will make their job that much easier.

7. Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
Jacksonville moved up in the draft last season to get what they hoped would be their franchise signal caller in Blaine Gabbert. Some are already saying it was a mistake, and that he doesn't possess the fearlessness necessary to become that type of player. I say give the kid a chance. The Jags could opt to do that by taking an offensive tackle here. However, the Jaguars also need to be better at pressuring the opposing quarterback, having netted only 31 sacks for the 2011 season. Coples is a big defensive end who is drawing comparisons to former Tarheel Julius Peppers due to the size and speed combination possessed by both (aside from the obvious collegiate connection). Coples isn't quite that good, but he'd give the Jaguars a genuine force off the edge, as well as a solid run stopper there too.

8. Dolphins - OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
It's unusual for a team to select what would obviously be a right tackle for them this high in the draft. However, few who watched a Dolphins game could argue that an upgrade is needed at that spot. Reiff would instantly give the team a strong run blocker at that spot, and certainly has the talent to be an effective pass blocker there as well. I suspect the Dolphins will also be courting some teams at the top of the draft to see what it will take to move up and get RG3, but I don't see them being serious players in those sweepstakes. A move down is possible to add picks and get better value. However, should they keep this selection Reiff would be the best choice for them.

9. Panthers - DT Michael Brockers, LSU
The Panthers took two defensive tackles last year, but neither gave them the kind of play on the inside of their defensive line they were looking for. Brockers can be a penetrating player with excellent quickness off the snap and the strength to push the pocket if needed. He may need some development due to his relative youth, but his upside is better than any other at the position in this draft. Devon Still could be an option, but I see him as a one year wonder who underachieved prior to this past season. Players like that typically revert back to their underachieving nature in the NFL. The Panthers, in my opinion, should avoid him.

10. Buffalo - LB/DE Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
The Bills are quite happy with the play of Chris Hairston, and as such they will likely allow Demetrius Bell to leave in free agency and give Hairston the starting job at left tackle. The Bills can then turn their attention to another area of need, and that's along the defensive line. Rumor is that the Bills will go to a 43 defensive scheme, but will still use elements of the 34 on occasion. Courtney Upshaw would be ideal in that respect, since he has shown the talent to get after the quarterback as a down lineman, as well as having the athletic skills necessary to play outside in the 34 look.

11. Chiefs - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
The Chiefs can take their pick of either of Stanford's outstanding former offensive linemen. However, Martin would allow them to move Brandon Albert inside and give them a formidable left side of the offensive line. Martin needs to bulk up some, but as a pass blocker he is much better as a blind side protector than Albert ever was. The fact that the Chiefs jumped on the chance to sign Jared Gaither when he was released should be a strong indication that they want a change at the left tackle spot.

12. Seahawks - DE Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
The Seahawks could consider David DeCastro here, but the truth is they have much more critical needs on defense. The Seahawks pass rush is pretty anemic, due to the fact that Pete Carroll has been determined to build his defensive line using big, run stuffing DEs rather than pass rushers. Adding Ingram will give the team the chance to start generating more pressure on the quarterback and start taking advantage of mistakes made by the opposing offense. Stopping the run is fine, but stopping the pass is how teams win games. Another possible team to try and move up for RG3, but a trade down is more likely to get Ryan Tannehill at a more valuable spot.

13. Cardinals - OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
I'm sure there are going to be folks looking at this pick and saying 'No way'. Don't be so sure. While Adams wasn't as consistent as you'd like to see players be during the Senior Bowl practices, he was excellent during the game in stopping some of the nations best collegiate defensive ends. He has excellent feet, long arms and good balance. His technique could use some refinement, to be sure. But he's a huge improvement over anybody the Cardinals have on their roster today. Unless the Cards think David DeCastro can play left tackle (they don't) Adams would be the most obvious pick for them.

14. Cowboys - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
The Cowboys could use David DeCastro on their offensive line, to be sure. But their secondary is among the worst in the NFL, and adding Kirkpatrick would be a tremendous boon for them. If not for his arrest for marijuana possession, Kirkpatrick would have been taken in the top ten. Some feel he is a better coverage corner than Claiborne, particularly in press coverage. Jerry Jones likes to get players from the southern colleges on his roster, so this would make sense in that regard as well.

15. Eagles - LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
Andy Reid likes to use his first and second round picks on lineman more than anything else, so DeCastro is definitely in play here for them. However, Kuechly would give the team the leader they need at the Mike spot of their defense. Kuechly won't wow you with his athletic talent, but he takes a blue collar approach to the game and has excellent instincts. The Eagles desperately need to improve their linebacking corps, and Kuechly would be the first step towards doing that.

16. Jets - OG David DeCastro, Stanford
Wayne Hunter was a complete failure at the right tackle spot, and I would imagine the Jets can see DeCastro stepping into that role and being an improvement. Even if he has trouble there, they could kick him back inside and move Matt Slauson or Brandon Moore out there. Vlad Ducasse has not developed as they'd hoped, and he seems to be a career backup. DeCastro is the best value on the board at this spot, and should be the pick here.

17. Bengals(from Raiders) - DT Devon Still, Penn State
While some think Still is a top ten talent, I have trouble believing that one good season after being underwhelming the rest of his collegiate career is cause for that type of proclaim. There is no denying Still has the talent, but his motivation has to still be a question. His backing out of the Senior Bowl is a concern as well, even with his claim of an injured toe. However, Cincinnati can use another defensive tackle with the ability to push the pocket, and Still certainly fits that description.

18. Chargers - LB Nick Reed, USC
The Chargers will have to make a really serious decision here. Do they take an obviously talented pass rusher in Reed, or do they shore up their offensive line and go with former Wisconsin Badger pivot man Peter Konz? In the end, Reed is actually the better value player, even though the offensive center position has been getting some love in the first round of recent drafts. Reed has the ability to rush the passer, and the athleticism to drop into coverage, and would allow the team to hopefully move past the Larry English fiasco.

19. Bears - WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
Jay Cutler needs more weapons to throw to if the Bears are going to get back into the thick of things in the NFC North. There are some off-field concerns surrounding Floyd, to be sure. But his ability on the field is unquestionable, and that's what the Bears need to be concerned with. Many feel Michael Floyd is worthy of a top fifteen grade, so getting him here is a boon for this team.

20. Titans - DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
The Titans were the worst team in the NFL when it came to accounting for sacks from their defensive ends. This team is desperately in need of a force coming off the edge. They have some need to improve the interior of their offensive line, so Peter Konz is an option here as well. But Mercilus is an excellent edge rusher and would give this team what they are lacking.

21. Bengals - CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
Cincinnati would be smart to move Nate Clements to their free safety spot and plug in a new starter at corner opposite Leon Hall. Jenkins could be the best pure cover corner in this draft, particularly as a press corner. Landing him this late is a great value, particularly if the Bengals can rest assured his off-field issues are now behind him.

22. Browns(from Falcons) - SS Mark Barron, Alabama
With their new signal caller taken earlier in this round, the Browns can use this pick to shore up their leaky defense. Mark Barron is a solid run tackling safety who can play inside the box, but is also good as a coverage safety when called upon. His presence gives the team a big hitter with awareness and a definitive leader in the secondary.

23. Lions - OC Peter Konz, Wisconsin
Reports are that the Lions will be in the market for free agent tackle Jared Gaither, and plan on making a strong push to sign him. Even if they should not land him, they can still get Jeff Backus back for a relatively inexpensive price. However, the weakest part of their offensive line happens to be in the middle. Stephen Peterman is wildly inconsistent and Dominic Raiola is not the mauler the Lions need at center. With Raiola entering a contract year and Peterman underachieving, the Lions can take Konz to replace Peterman in 2012, then slide over in 2013 to man the center spot.

24. Steelers - OT Cordy Glenn, Georgia
The situation for the Steelers on their offensive line is desperate, and they can use upgrades just about anywhere. Cordy Glenn showed at the Senior Bowl that he's a better guard prospect than a tackle prospect, but wouldn't be completely out of place at either tackle spot if they put him there. The Steelers need to upgrade in front of Ben Roethlisberger and Reshard Mendenhall if they want to push further into the playoffs in 2012.

25. Broncos - DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
Denver might look at Alshon Jeffry here, but in all honesty they need to upgrade their defense first. A cornerback that can take some burden off Champ Bailey would be nice, but none of value exist here. So getting more pressure is the next best thing, and Fletcher Cox is a great step in that direction. He can disrupt running lanes and collapse the pocket as good as any in this draft class, and just might turn out to be the best defensive tackle selected in the first round of this lottery.

26. Texans - NT Dontari Poe, Memphis
I'm sure the Texans will be torn between selecting Alshon Jeffry here, or getting a crucial piece of their defensive puzzle put into place. I look at it this way, 350 pound players with athleticism like that of Poe come along maybe once every three or four years. How often will you be there to take them when they are available? The Texans ability to stop the run will improve greatly with this pick, and a wideout can always be had later.

27. Patriots(from Saints) - RB Lamar Miller, Miami, FLA
The Patriots desperately need to upgrade their defense, but also need a reliable running game. BenJarvus Green-Ellis is set to become a free agent, and the Patriots aren't known for retaining their backs. Miller has the kind of skills that would allow them to use him either as a runner or receiver out of the backfield and he possesses the second gear Green-Ellis doesn't quite have.

28. Packers - LB Andre Branch, Clemson
I'm sure there is some question as to whether Branch is deserving of a first round grade, let alone whether he will be able to make the switch to outside linebacker in the Packer 34 defense. Branch is more than athletic enough to make the switch, but it will depend on his ability to pick up the nuances of the position in the film room. I suspect Branch can be the player the Packers are looking for to play opposite Clay Matthews, and give them two legitimate outside pass rushers.

29. Ravens - LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State
Just about everyone has Burfict mocked to the Ravens in this round, and for good reason. Burfict is a tremendous talent and is worthy of a top twenty grade. However, he needs to control himself in the NFL given the crackdown on the "rough" play. Ray Lewis can take Burfict under his wing and teach him to play with passion, but under control as well.

30. 49ers - WR Alshon Jeffry, South Carolina
Alex Smith had his best season by far for the 49ers, but could have done better with some better receiver play. Michael Crabtree is not the go to guy the niners need on the outside, and Vernon Davis isn't a deep, outside threat. Jeffry had a down year in 2011, so his stock dropped. However, the talent is undeniably there and if he puts it all together San Francisco will be that much more dangerous in 2012.

31. Patriots - DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
The Patriots defense is making a transformation from a 34 defense to a hybrid defense which runs a different scheme just about every down. What the Pats would like to add is another defensive lineman that they can use either inside in a 43 set, or outside in a 34 set. Thompson has the athletic skill to be that kind of guy, and may even see some time lining up at end in the Pats four man defensive front.

32. Giants - LB Zach Brown, North Carolina
Quite possibly the fastest, most athletic linebacker in this draft, Brown is also the most enigmatic. His skills need to be brought under control for him to be a success in the NFL. He showed a tendency to over-run plays and hesitate in his decision making at the Senior Bowl. The Giants might have to wait some time before Brown is ready to start, but with proper coaching and patience he could become something special for them.

I strongly suspect that there will be some players not shown in this mock that will be taken in round one. Ryan Tannehill is a strong possibility to go in round one, with a team like Washington moving back into round one if they miss out on RG3. Seattle could be a player in that regard as well, and though I don't think they will, Miami might make an attempt. Other players that could get first round consideration include Dont'a Hightower, Kendall Wright, Stephon Gilmore, Dwayne Allen, Mohamed Sanu.

February 7th, 2012, 11:37 am
All State

m2karateman wrote:
Reports are that the Lions will be in the market for free agent tackle Jared Gaither, and plan on making a strong push to sign him. Even if they should not land him, they can still get Jeff Backus back for a relatively inexpensive price. However, the weakest part of their offensive line happens to be in the middle. Stephen Peterman is wildly inconsistent and Dominic Raiola is not the mauler the Lions need at center. With Raiola entering a contract year and Peterman underachieving, the Lions can take Konz to replace Peterman in 2012, then slide over in 2013 to man the center spot.

Any sources on the Gaither rumors? I've been wanting them to sign him since there were rumblings that the Ravens would release him 2 years ago. An experienced LT that is relatively young is hard enough to come by. I know he was disgruntled in Baltimore but that's because he was losing his job to Oher. I don't see much competition for him in Detroit. I know he had the back injury that kept him unsigned for most of 2011, but he stepped in and played well when San Diego picked him up.

February 7th, 2012, 12:20 pm
RIP Killer

DisgruntledFan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Any sources on the Gaither rumors? I've been wanting them to sign him since there were rumblings that the Ravens would release him 2 years ago. An experienced LT that is relatively young is hard enough to come by. I know he was disgruntled in Baltimore but that's because he was losing his job to Oher. I don't see much competition for him in Detroit. I know he had the back injury that kept him unsigned for most of 2011, but he stepped in and played well when San Diego picked him up.

This is from one of our forum members who happens to be on staff at Blesto, the scouting service used by the Lions (among other clubs). His information is usually very, very good. For instance, after Justin Durant was signed last year, many folks felt like the Lions wouldn't pursue Stephen Tulloch with any sort of urgency. He was the one who stated that the Lions were still pursuing Tulloch, and were still the team he was most interested in joining. Spot on.

February 7th, 2012, 10:42 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
DisgruntledFan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

This is from one of our forum members who happens to be on staff at Blesto, the scouting service used by the Lions (among other clubs). His information is usually very, very good. For instance, after Justin Durant was signed last year, many folks felt like the Lions wouldn't pursue Stephen Tulloch with any sort of urgency. He was the one who stated that the Lions were still pursuing Tulloch, and were still the team he was most interested in joining. Spot on.

Yes his info is very good. I've had a few PM conversations with him and am very impressed.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 8th, 2012, 9:59 am
All State

m2karateman wrote:
DisgruntledFan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Nice! I'd love to see this happen.

I'm kind of wondering if Gaither is in the Charger's plans now and McNeil could hit the road though:

Quote:
Chargers have room to move

Written by
Kevin Acee
2:12 p.m., Feb. 7, 2012

Another Super Bowl has passed; the offseason has officially begun. The Chargers brass will spend the next two weeks prior to the NFL Scouting Combine and into March finishing up their evaluation of the current roster and figuring out who to bring back and bring in.

One thing the Chargers are not concerned about is where they’ll find the money to make the necessary improvements. The Chargers were one of two teams to not take advantage of a provision in the NFL’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement that allows teams to carry over cap room from this year to next.

The reason the Chargers didn’t is that despite currently having $2.1 million under the cap, that room will essentially all be used by the end of the league year.

And, besides, the Chargers won’t need the extra money.

The 2012 cap is expected to be around the same level as in 2011, slightly more than last year’s $120 million and perhaps as high as $125 million. Given that, the Chargers presently have between $10-15 million to work with.

And while they have much to try to accomplish, they have room to maneuver.

For one, they will likely clear the books of $10 million by waiving left tackle Marcus McNeill. McNeill has to be cleared by a team doctor by the third day of the new league year, which begins March 13, or his 2012 salary is not guaranteed. McNeill is not expected to get a clean bill of health from the Chargers.

The team is also expected to release or seek to renegotiate the contract of defensive end Luis Castillo, who is due $4.975 million in 2012. Releasing Castillo, who played just 3½ quarters last season before suffering a fractured leg, would clear all but $1.025 million of Castillo’s $6 million cap number.

While those close to him and team sources indicate that left guard Kris Dielman is leaning toward playing in 2012 after a scary concussion and seizure prompted him to consider retirement, Dielman’s possible departure would free up another $5.5 million. That’s money the Chargers will happily pay to keep Dielman.

One other player to consider is Takeo Spikes, who signed a three-year contract prior to last season that was essentially a one-year guarantee. Spikes, who turned 35 in December, is due $2.875 million in 2012.

All told, there conceivably could be about $23 million cut from the Chargers’ payroll in the coming months.

Whatever they have to spend – from $10 million to $33 million – they will likely use it all in the remodeling of a roster that is both old and inexperienced, contains playmakers but not enough of them and just plain needs to get better.

If you’re a Chargers fan, the quote of Super Bowl week came not from anything said by someone in Indianapolis but over the phone to someone in Indianapolis. Speaking to UT San Diego about Philip Rivers and the Chargers’ recent failure in the playoffs, head coach Norv Turner expressed his confidence in his quarterback – with a simply stated caveat. “He’ll get us back and give us an opportunity,” Turner said. “… We just need to continue to get better around him.”

McNeil has had back and neck injury issues for the last 2 seasons. Rotoworld said he's played in only 20 of 32 games over that span.

February 8th, 2012, 12:14 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Just because the team wants to be involved in bidding for a guy doesn't mean he'll sign with them. I think this changes the urgency the Chargers will have in deciding on Gaither's future with them.

February 8th, 2012, 12:29 pm
RIP Killer

DFlo wrote:

Let me know what you think. Would love to hear your feedback!

My thoughts on some picks:

Rams - I can't see them passing over Kalil in favor of Blackmon. Franchise left tackles of Kalil's quality don't come along every year, or even every five years. Taking Kalil would allow the team to move Roger Saffold to right tackle and help them protect Sam Bradford.

Vikings - If Kalil is on the board, he's the obvious choice. If he is taken by the Rams, I'd say Morris Claiborne is their pick. However, it is my strong belief the team will trade out of this spot to Washington or Miami, who will be looking to move up and select Robert Griffin.

Browns - If RG3 is on the board, they'll likely take him. If not, they would probably opt for Claiborne or Blackmon here. They could use Trent Richardson as well, but it may be a tad too early for him to come off the board.

Panthers - While they do need a penetrating DT, Still was a one year wonder at Penn State with his previous campaigns being disappointing. I think they'd prefer Brockers over Still. However, they are in good position to trade down to gain better value with their pick. The Cowboys or Jets could make a move to secure Upshaw before the Bills pick. The Cowboys might also want to move up if Kirkpatrick is still on the board with this pick.

Bills - Thought they'll let Demetrius Bell walk, they feel they have his replacement in Chris Hairston. What they need is a pass rusher to help with their transition from a 34 alignment to a hybrid defense running both 34 and 43 schemes. Courtney Upshaw is perfect for that.

Chiefs - They need a left tackle, not a guard. They want to kick Branden Albert inside and get a better pass blocker at LT. If Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff are off the board, Castro is a possibility but I could foresee them taking Mike Adams this early.

Seahawks - I think this is too early for Tannehill, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. They also need a pass rusher, so if they can't move down they might get better value by taking Ingram or Mercilus here.

Cardinals - Kirkpatrick to them is a great value, and would give them a tremendous pair of corners. But they are another team looking for offensive line help. If Reiff and Martin are gone, they could take Adams. If he's gone, DeCastro is a strong possibility.

Chargers - Weddle is more of a strong safety than free safety, so I don't see them going with this pick. Instead, they could go with either Nick Reed or even Peter Konz, since they have some serious question marks on the inside of their offensive line.

Bengals - I think Lamar Miller goes in the draft before David Wilson, but it's a good pick for the Bengals either way.

Browns - I think Alshon Jeffery is a better choice. He is more in the mold of a number one receiver. Wright will be a slot receiver/number two in the NFL. They already have Greg Little as a number two, and Massaquoi is good for the slot (along with Cribbs). They could also use a safety, and Barron would be good here.

Lions - Hate this pick. Brown is a great athlete, but not a great football player. After seeing him in the Senior Bowl and hearing about his practices, I can't see where he's considered a good coverage LB. He got beat by a fullback in the game. I'd prefer Cordy Glenn, Peter Konz or Stephon Gilmore.
Despite not liking him, I'd even take a shot at Janoris Jenkins over Brown.

Texans - Yes, wide receiver is a need. But they also really need a nose tackle for their defense. Dontari Poe is more than just a big body. He moves extremely well for a big guy, and is solid but not fat by all accounts. I think they would prefer him. But Jeffery would be a tough talent to pass on.

49ers - This is the most mystifying pick to me. They have zero need at guard, and Zeitler isn't that impressive to be taken this early. Sanu, Criner or Reuben Randle would be reaches, but not more so than Zeitler. Even a CB to add quality depth, like Gilmore, would be good. Definitely, the 49ers can afford to go BPA regardless of position, as they have the most stacked roster in the NFL, in my opinion.

Giants - I guess they could do that, but with Burfict on the board I think they take their linebacker. Chase Blackburn is OK, but he's better as a backup. Burfict is a better athlete and Coughlin is the right type of coach to force him to calm down on the field.

February 8th, 2012, 3:21 pm
What pisses me off about the last few mocks that I've seen is, outside of an OG/OC I really don't see us getting a starting caliber UPGRADE at any position. MAYBE safety, but that's even debatable, at least for this upcoming year.

IMO there are some good, young upgrades in FA. I'd rather just trade our first round draft pick for a starter before we go blowing it on some DE/CB project that isn't going to play much, if at all next year.

February 10th, 2012, 4:22 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
What pisses me off about the last few mocks that I've seen is, outside of an OG/OC I really don't see us getting a starting caliber UPGRADE at any position. MAYBE safety, but that's even debatable, at least for this upcoming year.

IMO there are some good, young upgrades in FA. I'd rather just trade our first round draft pick for a starter before we go blowing it on some DE/CB project that isn't going to play much, if at all next year.

I see what you're saying, but IMO if we for whatever reason drafted janoris jenkins, I think he would be an immediate upgrade. I see him clearly being gone by 23 though.

February 10th, 2012, 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next