View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 2012 NFL Mock Draft 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: New 2012 NFL Mock Draft
I have no injury concerns with him .only missed 1 game due to an injury in his career at Miami .now highschool there were issues with 2 wrist injurys.but I don't put a lot of stock in injury historys except were concussions are concerned

February 12th, 2012, 12:19 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

kdsberman wrote:
I read one source that said he has durability issues. Is this true? Because if so, we would then have yet ANOTHER back that cant stay healthy (potentially).

After I saw this I did a little research on him and saw that as well. Not for sure but I think those questions come from his lack of experience and whether he can truly handle being a full time back. He was a RS Sophomore last year and it was his only year as a starter and he shared time. IDK..........I personally think there is a lot of question marks for him to be a first round draft pick. He definitely has potential to be a stud but sounds a little risky. Then again I'm just a fan and not a scout.

For those who are a little interested here you go:
nfldraftgeek.com wrote:
Lamar Miller Scouting Report
Position: Running Back
School: University of Miami
Class: Redshirt Sophomore
Height: 5-11
Weight: 210
Draft Stock: Late First- Early Second. Tier 2 RB
Pros

Excellent awareness, always finds the open running lane and follows his blocks well
Has great burst, speed, and ability to take the ball the distance on any play
Good lower body strength
Good runner both outside and between the tackles
Physical Runner, does not shy away from contact
Gets downhill quickly, does not “dance around”
Rarely gets tackled for a loss, always finds a way to get back to the line of scrimmage

Cons

Undersized; weighs nowhere near his listed 212 pounds
Poor blocker in pass protection
Must work on catching the ball out of the backfield
Starter for Just 1 season
Production tailed off at the end of the season. Ability to handle a full workload is a Question Mark

Overall

Lamar Miller has been drawing a lot of comparisons to a former ‘Canes back named Clinton Portis. While Miller has showed flashes of greatness this past year, he has a long way to go before he reaches the level of Portis. Most years, Miller would not enter the draft after a season filled with highs and lows, but with the lack of depth at the running back class this year, Miller figures to cash in and be drafted in the first round. This season, Miller ran behind one of the better offensive lines in the nation, and teams should be weary of that when evaluating his game tape. Even behind playing such a great offensive line, Miller started to really slow down towards the end of the year. If a team drafts Miller, and expects him to carry the ball 20+ times a game, Miller may end up disappointing. A team should follow what the Eagles did with LeSean McCoy and play Miller in third down situations, allowing him to work on his pass-catching and blocking. Then, after a year or two, he could start and become that feature back teams are looking for. And maybe, just maybe, he can become that next great running back out of Miami.
Stats
Career Statistics
Year Rushing Yards Rushing TD's YPC Receiving Yards Receiving TD's
11 1,272 9 5.6 85 1
10 646 6 6 96 0

February 12th, 2012, 12:29 am
Rookie Player of the Year

If RB were the route they are set on taking I really hope they trade back. When I watch Miller, Wilson, and Martin they are all pretty close in ability. The odds of all three going in the 1st round are pretty slim in today's NFL, where you have seen some of the guys (MoJo, Rice) that I wanted the Lions to grab freefall.

February 12th, 2012, 7:17 am
Hall of Fame Player

While I am not thrilled at going RB in the 1st round, who says he will have to carry the load?
Best, LeShoure, Smith, and Miller should each be good for 5 games each. That gets us through 20 games. If we can get a 6th game from 3 of them, that covers us for the whole preseason---->season-----> post season. Then we have MoMo who is good for at least a game or two. We would be just fine at RB.

If we can't have 1 guy who is good for the whole load all season, do it with numbers.

February 12th, 2012, 11:09 am
Varsity Captain

I have to disagree with a few of those cons.first i personaly weighed the kid at 218 pounds.he does need alot of work in passpro but most rookie backs do.he is also a very natural reciever and ajusts well to the ball in the air.5,10 218,4.36.real line

February 12th, 2012, 1:22 pm
Varsity Captain

I have to disagree with a few of those cons.first i personaly weighed the kid at 218 pounds.he does need alot of work in passpro but most rookie backs do.he is also a very natural reciever and ajusts well to the ball in the air.5,10 218,4.36.real line

February 12th, 2012, 1:23 pm
Team MVP

And then next year when we struggle to run the ball again, will be once again look to the RB position to help the running game?? :roll:

Why is it that every single NFL team BUT the Lions find value with O-lineman? Its like if a good offensive lineman falls to Detroit, that person is worth nothing to them, but another team will jump right on it and find themselves a pro-bowl caliber player.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 12th, 2012, 1:24 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
And then next year when we struggle to run the ball again, will be once again look to the RB position to help the running game?? :roll:

Why is it that every single NFL team BUT the Lions find value with O-lineman? Its like if a good offensive lineman falls to Detroit, that person is worth nothing to them, but another team will jump right on it and find themselves a pro-bowl caliber player.

Have to agree! What good is another early rounds back if there's nowhere to run?

February 12th, 2012, 1:37 pm
Varsity Captain

Tqwey feel very strongly about goz moving inside.a move i feel is long over due.they also know what culbreath brings to the table.u guys dont .i feel that if they can nail down gaither these moves will drasticaly impove our run blocking

February 12th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Varsity Captain

Remember to that they do plan on addressing the interior depth in the midrounds.they are very high on jones from georgia

February 12th, 2012, 6:41 pm
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
Tqwey feel very strongly about goz moving inside.a move i feel is long over due.they also know what culbreath brings to the table.u guys dont .i feel that if they can nail down gaither these moves will drasticaly impove our run blocking

I completely understand. I also understand that I am still a fan and dont know a fraction of what the organization knows about its players. I believe, along with many others on this board, that Goz should have been moved to guard long ago.

What is your views on the Gaither situation considering the Chargers will cut McNeil? Do we still have a chance?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 12th, 2012, 6:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
For health reasons, I understand the pick, but other than that Im scratching my head. And I also wonder why at this point a team even has a "board". There hasnt been a combine, pro days, visits/interviews etc.

All Teams have a board, likely started by their scouting dept before the season ends. While the coaches are worried about THIS Season, the scouting dept people are working year round looking at the future. And as Allenslions said (and has been mentioned by many Coaches/GMs and Scouts in articles), teams put very little stock int he combine. They put WAY more stock in Playing Tape, Informed Opinions of those who have worked with those players, and the personal interviews/workouts they have when they bring their targetlist players into the facilities after the combine.

P.S. - I would be flat out depressed if they draft a RB, and would expect a 1st rd playoff exit at best if they do. Doesnt mean i don't believe the info your feeding allens, as youve had good info before.. just that it would depress me and it appears like a very poor decision. If they dont feel like Konz or Cordy Glenn could be the 1 extra piece in addition to Goz going inside then I hope they take aserious look at Mark Barron. I think he can be the Center fielder next to Delmas that our Secondary needs, and makes our CBs serviceable pushing Speivey back to BU safety at both positions which is where he belongs.

February 12th, 2012, 7:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Heisman Winner

After looking over the interwebs it appears that the Bengals are very high on Miller, so he may be gone before the Lions pick anyway.

February 12th, 2012, 7:45 pm
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
For health reasons, I understand the pick, but other than that Im scratching my head. And I also wonder why at this point a team even has a "board". There hasnt been a combine, pro days, visits/interviews etc.

All Teams have a board, likely started by their scouting dept before the season ends. While the coaches are worried about THIS Season, the scouting dept people are working year round looking at the future. And as Allenslions said (and has been mentioned by many Coaches/GMs and Scouts in articles), teams put very little stock int he combine. They put WAY more stock in Playing Tape, Informed Opinions of those who have worked with those players, and the personal interviews/workouts they have when they bring their targetlist players into the facilities after the combine.

P.S. - I would be flat out depressed if they draft a RB, and would expect a 1st rd playoff exit at best if they do. Doesnt mean i don't believe the info your feeding allens, as youve had good info before.. just that it would depress me and it appears like a very poor decision. If they dont feel like Konz or Cordy Glenn could be the 1 extra piece in addition to Goz going inside then I hope they take aserious look at Mark Barron. I think he can be the Center fielder next to Delmas that our Secondary needs, and makes our CBs serviceable pushing Speivey back to BU safety at both positions which is where he belongs.

Agree.

February 12th, 2012, 7:54 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I can understand the feelings of drafting a RB first, especially after using two high picks the past two seasons on players at the position. But fate isn't cooperating. Best is one concussion away from being a drool factory, and LeShoure's injury couldn't be foreseen and will have a definite impact on his future in the NFL. I now see LeShoure become a strict power back, without the lateral quickness he had previous to the injury. We all know Kevin Smith is definitely not the answer. Neither is Maurice Morris, who will likely leave in free agency.

I am not overjoyed with the idea that the Lions would draft a RB first this coming draft. I think if there are certain players available when the Lions pick, they would make much more sense. However....I am not a scout. I am not a general manager. I am not a coach. And neither are most of the other readers and posters in this forum. After going from 0-16 to 10-6 in three seasons, with one off-season severely shortened by labor issues, I'd say place your trust in Mayhew/Lewand/Schwartz. If they have their sights set on Lamar Miller in round one and take him, then I'll allow their recent success to buoy my faith in them, even if I don't really agree with the pick. After all, for most of us, we would have made different picks over the past three drafts and probably would have been wrong more than right. For instance, I wasn't on board with the Stafford pick. I couldn't have been more wrong. Many thought the Titus Young pick was stupid. I think he proved his worth over the course of the season.

That said, even if they take Miller in round one, I am hoping they take a serious step towards addressing the offensive line in the rounds thereafter if it wasn't dealt with sufficiently in free agency. By the time the draft rolls around, the Lions Big Board may change slightly. Even though they may be targeting Gaither in free agency, there's no guarantee he leaves San Diego. The REAL question is, how interested is Gaither in coming to play for the Lions, and how much can the Lions afford to pay him? And if he does come here, he better be prepared to suffer some slings and arrows if he doesn't play lights out. The fact that he's been bounced by a couple different teams doesn't really thrill me.

As for the first round playoff exit if they draft a RB....no offense, but that's kind of a ridiculous statement. One player isn't going to make that much of a difference, even on the defense. I think defensively there must be some scheme changes that have to take place. Most of us have commented on the shortcomings of running the Wide 9 defense a majority of the time. I am hoping the coaches see the need to pare down on using it quite so often, particularly after watching the Saints running game gash them for so much late in the playoff game running successfully off tackle. Hopefully a regular length off-season, some personnel upgrades and close scrutiny of how teams molested our defense when they were in that alignment serves as a wake up call to the coaching staff.

February 12th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next