View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All NFC North Team 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All NFC North Team
The Legend wrote:
so you do want more tinkering to the offense than you originally let on? I feel that Nate has been productive but has been a little disappointing with key drops and fumbles a little more than you would expect from a WR. There is definitely room to find an upgrade at that spot. I think they will be bringing him back though but titus young will get more attention.

I never said our offense was perfect. Yes, I think the offense can be improved. Most of the blame for offensive issues has gone to the offensive line....and not without merit. But not having a more productive second wide out has hurt the team as well, and I believe is a SMALL part of the team not running successfully. If we get a solid second receiver (which I don't feel Burleson is) then the opposing defense is forced to slide some extra help that way, much like they do against CJ. Now you are spreading the defense apart and the running lanes open up. It's almost like running a spread offense without having as many wide receivers out there.

I wouldn't want the Lions to burn a high pick on a second wideout. But if we can land someone more cost effective in free agency than Nate Burleson who will take some heat off of Calvin, by all means I am in favor of making the move. It's all a matter of the economics.

February 12th, 2012, 10:09 pm
League MVP

i know, i was just joking

February 13th, 2012, 9:56 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Very detailed report love it!!! :arrow: on side note. While I believe there are better wideouts out there than nate burleson, the guy is a leader on and off the field and brings a swagger to our wide out core that I have never seen. Even if his play may be in decline i'd rather have him than any #2 wideout we have had in the past decade!!!

February 13th, 2012, 2:54 pm
RIP Killer

jedi~outcast wrote:
Very detailed report love it!!! :arrow: on side note. While I believe there are better wideouts out there than nate burleson, the guy is a leader on and off the field and brings a swagger to our wide out core that I have never seen. Even if his play may be in decline i'd rather have him than any #2 wideout we have had in the past decade!!!

Leadership....yes. Swagger? I don't see it. I don't see a "swagger" in our receivers. I do, however, see confidence in their QB. If that is what you define as "swagger", then OK, I agree. Titus Young started to gain confidence in himself over the course of the season, once he got to know the playbook more. Burleson didn't have a bad season, but I don't think he really showed any signifcant difference between him and Young later in the season.

February 13th, 2012, 3:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

What disappoints me year in and year out is the lack of seperation on any sort of a consistant basis. The route running as a whole needs to improve and that goes back to Jefferson.

February 13th, 2012, 4:11 pm
RIP Killer

Well Randy Moss is ready to attempt a comeback. Just have Staff toss one up with Randy and CJ in the endzone.

February 13th, 2012, 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Personally, I'm not in favor of geting rid of Nate just yet. Sure, he isn't the fastest, doesn't have the best hands, doesn't get the best separation, or isn't adept at breaking tackles, but who else do they have? I could see it if they had another WR besides just Titus Young waiting for their chance, but they don't. If they cut Nate, then CJ or Titus gets injured, what then? It's just too risky IMO.

February 14th, 2012, 1:47 am
slybri19 wrote:
Personally, I'm not in favor of geting rid of Nate just yet. Sure, he isn't the fastest, doesn't have the best hands, doesn't get the best separation, or isn't adept at breaking tackles, but who else do they have? I could see it if they had another WR besides just Titus Young waiting for their chance, but they don't. If they cut Nate, then CJ or Titus gets injured, what then? It's just too risky IMO.

I only want Nate gone if we can get someone like Mario, or Jerome Simpson (Bengals), or Colson. Mario has been under-paid and over-performed for his entire contract. If he's willing to come here for the $6.5 on average that Nate is getting, I would much rather have him (or any of the others mentioned).

Nate is over-paid, he doesn't get any seperation and he drops the ball WAY too much for a "possession WR" (if he's not a possession guy, what the hell is he? he's not fast, he's not a great route runner, what is he if not a possession guy?).

February 14th, 2012, 5:33 pm
League MVP

i agree w above posts - burlesons had some drops, some big fumbles but he s a good possession guy and a good leader who has been productive. maybe a little overpaid but it looks like cutting him kills the salary cap more than keeping him at least for this year and would be prohibitive in finding a veteran replacement at the level of manningham, colston (which is a ridiculous suggestion - he is a solid No 1 wr not a No 2), im not sure id take jerome simpson in any circumstance unless this drug thing gets cleared up.

February 15th, 2012, 10:49 am
The Legend wrote:
i agree w above posts - burlesons had some drops, some big fumbles but he s a good possession guy and a good leader who has been productive. maybe a little overpaid but it looks like cutting him kills the salary cap more than keeping him at least for this year and would be prohibitive in finding a veteran replacement at the level of manningham, colston (which is a ridiculous suggestion - he is a solid No 1 wr not a No 2), im not sure id take jerome simpson in any circumstance unless this drug thing gets cleared up.

What is the cost/savings if we cut or trade Nate this year? Like I said in another thread, when I look up his contract it shows an $11 million dollar SB, but it doesn't show his yearly pro-ration, which is what counts against us for the number of years that he isn't playing here.

I'm interested to see what Colston gets in FA. He's a #1 and should get paid like it, but where's he going to go, and at what cost? I don't see how the Saints can afford to keep him, Tracy Porter, and Nicks, and IMO Colson should be the oddman out, given their respective talent at the WR position and the emergence of Graham.

February 15th, 2012, 6:02 pm

It's my understanding that the Lions used the uncapped year loophole when they signed Nate by giving him a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus. This means that the entire bonus counted against the 2010 non-cap instead of being prorated over the length of the contract. They also did the same thing with KVB, but he has since redone his deal and has some prorated bonus money now.

February 21st, 2012, 6:04 pm
slybri19 wrote:
It's my understanding that the Lions used the uncapped year loophole when they signed Nate by giving him a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus. This means that the entire bonus counted against the 2010 non-cap instead of being prorated over the length of the contract. They also did the same thing with KVB, but he has since redone his deal and has some prorated bonus money now.

Ok, so we could cut Nate at absolutely no cost to us at all, and save his entire salary ($4.0 mill, I think)?

February 21st, 2012, 6:07 pm
League MVP

genius move by front office if thats what they did. would the same be true of kvb and corey williams?

February 21st, 2012, 11:51 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The Legend wrote:
genius move by front office if thats what they did. would the same be true of kvb and corey williams?

Not KVB, because he signed a new deal just before the beginning of camp in order to clear space to sign Tulloch. Admittedly I don't know the terms of the deal but I doubt the Lions could have converted his salary into a roster bonus in 2011 since the whole point of renegotiating was to clear cap space in 2011. I don't know about Corey Williams' deal.

February 22nd, 2012, 12:10 am

KVB converted $3.69M of his 2011 salary into a signing bonus, so his proration is $1.23M for the next two years. If he were to be cut, the Lions would take a cap hit of $2.46M, but would add $3.77M of cap space. I don't think that will happen though.

As for Corey Williams, when he was traded to the Lions, the Browns absorbed his entire remaining bonus proration. That doesn't follow a player to his new team if he is traded or claimed on waivers. Therefore, the Lions would save his entire $4.9M salary and $100K roster or workout bonus with no cap hit.

February 22nd, 2012, 1:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next