View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 2012 NFL Mock Draft 
RIP Killer

Post Re: New 2012 NFL Mock Draft
wjb21ndtown wrote:
allenslions wrote:
Also i asked my friend at dinner why they were so strong on culbreath.and this is a cool little camp story.it seems avril was match up against the kid for a couple indoor practices and was getting completely stoned when gunther finally pulled cliff

I just don't think it's prudent to bet your whole season on a guy that hasn't played much (if at all?) in an actual game, and base your new starting RT off of a camp story from last year. Also, we're betting on Gosider being able to be moved inside as well. I would rather trade Gos altogether. I don't think he's very smart, I think he's over-paid, and I don't think he will ever perform like a first round OLman. If we can get a 3rd to 5th for him I would be very happy.

To me it just makes sense to draft Kontz if he is everything they say his is. If he is of the same elk as Alex Mack then grab him, play him inside where the already KNOWS how to play, and have a smart, better OLman on the team. To draft a project CB/FS/SS/or LB seems silly to me. If we can get a starting caliber DE and we're unable to bring back Avril, ok, but that's the only other option that I see at this point that makes sense for NEXT YEAR.

This team needs to win now. It doesn't need to set itself up to win in 2-3 years. We need to make a run with what we have right now and try to get to the playoffs/Superbowl again while we still have Staff, CJ, Suh and co. We need to give them MORE of a reason to stay here. As of right now, I don't think one playoff game is going to cut it for CJ.

Sly... What would we save if we were able to dump Corey Williams, KVB, and Gos? Anything significant? Also, regarding Nate. I was looking up his contract and he had an $11 million dollar SB, but it isn't reported on a pro-rated basis. If we release him do we get a cap hit, or was there something weird with that uncapped year that allows us to walk away from him and save 100% of his next year's salary from the books?

Then how does a guy get game experience if you aren't willing to play him?

February 14th, 2012, 7:13 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
First lets put the miller thing straight.yes the team has him rated as the number 2 guy on there board but dont believe he will fall to them so yes there are other guys they like.my opinion was he gets falls to us and they feel its like fairley last year

So if Miller ISNT their #1 guy ont their board, who is?

im guessing Barron since none of the CBs seem to fit that pick area and we know based on last offseason that they see the secondary as sill a need, and based on allens inside info that they arent hot on the OL picks we alllike such as Konz and Glenn. Barron is also expected to be gone before us so he would fit that same situation as Miller.

I can hope anyways.

Barron just had double hernia surgery....so if he was their number one guy, that may have changed. I realize a hernia isn't that big of a deal, and he should be able to workout before the draft. But a double hernia is kind of tough to come back from. He certainly won't be at 100% when he does work out, and he still won't be at 100% when the rookie camp starts if they were to select him.

I have to imagine that it's someone else who would be their number one guy. I'm guessing maybe Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin.

February 14th, 2012, 7:16 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Well, I think you are mixing up regimes here a little bit wjb. Millen was the one who extended both Backus and Raiola, as well as having reached for Gos in the draft. The current regime did take us to the playoffs this year, and they did draft Jason Fox, who was seen as a great value in round four and just can't stay off the trainers table. Perhaps he can step in this season and stay healthy, much like Stafford did last season after his first two injury plagued seasons. However, I would like to think the Lions current braintrust won't count on that happening and will continue to look for o-line upgrades.

I would prefer the team get rid of Peterman and Cherilus altogether, since I think both are overpaid and a liability regardless of where they play. Cherilus might not be as much of a problem inside, but he still has the brain of a gnat. But we can't just do a wholesale switch at every offensive line position in one year, so we'll have to continue to live with certain elements of them in 2012.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't hold them completely harmless. I mean, Mayhew was still Millen's understudy, and he doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to the importance of the OL. We still went into this season with Peterman as a starting OG, and Cherilus as our starting RT, with little done to assist in the matter, and we did draft Pettigrew over Alex Mack. I preferred Mack at the time, I think Mack would have made a bigger impact on this team, and I think Pett is over-rated, and has underperformed. I mean, he's getting outplayed by NUMEROUS 3rd round and later TEs all over the map.

Not to mention the "insider" reports that we're looking to basically do nothing to the OL this year, other than start Culbreath at RT and move Gos inside, and TRY to sign Gaither.

I can't say I'm happy about that plan one bit.

You do realize that Millen made the decisions, not Mayhew? You do realize that Millen went against many, many people in the front office when he made some of his picks?

As for Pettigrew, to say he's getting outplayed by 3rd round TEs "all over the map" is a ridiculous statement. Are you basing this STRICTLY on catches? Are you even considering blocking? Jermichael Finley may be making some bigger plays, but he can't block worth ****. At least Pettigrew is a pretty good inline blocker, on top of making some catches. Yes, I agree, he drops more than he should. But he DID catch 83 passes this season (third among TEs in the entire NFL, and 8th overall for all receivers). And he DID catch 71 last season. That's over 150 catches for 1500 yards in two seasons. Exactly what would you think his normal performance should be?

I want the Lions to address the offensive line too. But I'm not going to sit here and say someone in underperforming when that's just plain hogwash, simply because they didn't take the guy I preferred. Pettigrew isn't perfect, and at times he can be darn right nerve racking. As for the team not addressing the offensive line in the draft, perhaps they aren't willing to reach for a player they don't think is worth it.

I do know this. 0-16 to 2-14, to 6-10, to 10-6. Hard to argue with the results so far.

February 14th, 2012, 7:28 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
First lets put the miller thing straight.yes the team has him rated as the number 2 guy on there board but dont believe he will fall to them so yes there are other guys they like.my opinion was he gets falls to us and they feel its like fairley last year

So if Miller ISNT their #1 guy ont their board, who is?

im guessing Barron since none of the CBs seem to fit that pick area and we know based on last offseason that they see the secondary as sill a need, and based on allens inside info that they arent hot on the OL picks we alllike such as Konz and Glenn. Barron is also expected to be gone before us so he would fit that same situation as Miller.

I can hope anyways.

Barron just had double hernia surgery....so if he was their number one guy, that may have changed. I realize a hernia isn't that big of a deal, and he should be able to workout before the draft. But a double hernia is kind of tough to come back from. He certainly won't be at 100% when he does work out, and he still won't be at 100% when the rookie camp starts if they were to select him.

I have to imagine that it's someone else who would be their number one guy. I'm guessing maybe Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin.

I can see Mike Adams being top their board.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 14th, 2012, 10:37 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Lamar Miller as a 1st rd pick. I like it, the guy is a stud and despite the missed high picks there in the past 2 drafts the Lions dont have a steady rock at the position. LeShoure has a chance, Best has a chance but neither are locks and if Best comes back its clear he needs someone else to come in and take at least part of the beating. Smith is a good backup runner with good vision, avg physical traits ie strength/speed/agility, poor durability, above average in the passing game - could be a No 1 with a very good offensive line but as I ve said many times - the front office hasnt shown many signs that they think the OL is a major concern. I agree with the sentiment that building a strong OL will allow you to have a strong running game with the Smith's of the world and saving you from having to draft a high runner but Mayhew's regime either doesnt believe in that philosophy, doesnt have the patience for that or thinks the current OL can be fixed with some smaller tweaks. I think drafting a RB first also supports the idea that the Lions think they can be great on offense with a couple additions and get by with an average defense, rather than be a one dimensional offensive team that could be game planned around by good coaches in big games and having a better defense that is really only marginally more effective bc of league rules promoting offense.

Cherilus to guard - haha, Ive been saying that for a long time - the first time I said it I got totally blasted by almost the entire board. I dont know the implications of moving Peterman w regards to the salary cap. Peterman is better than Cherilus at blocking in space ie blocking second level players or pulling but Cherilus should be better anyway at generating a push on the DTs and far better in pass pro, I ve seen him get some devastating blocks on safeties and LBs but he whiffs way too much. Overall I think he would be better than Peterman but it might limit some of the plays we d run. Worth the tradeoff depending on who lands at RT. Culbreath being projected as a starter isnt a surprise, but being projected this early I would say is a bit of a surprise. Im not surprised he stonewalled Avril in drills bc Culbreath's best talent seems to be excellent lateral agility and basic footwork in pass protection, I didnt see much I liked from him run blocking but the strength program could help with that. If Gaither gets signed, potentially Backus could move to the rt side to wind down his career at hopefully a substantially lower price. As for Konz at center, I think he s probably a little better than Raiola as a rookie but not substantially - I just dont see him as being a power player at center early in his career. He ll be good at all the same things Raiola is good at but will probably get pushed around some in the running game without a double team and it will take a little more maturing in the NFL to get better in that phase. Essentially, Im okay with Raiola starting and keeping the eyes peeled for a down the road starter rather than an immediate replacement later in the draft. Backus is good enough to play LT but there are some signs his body is starting to breakdown with the tendon ruptures. Losing a LT without a real replacement is a much bigger problem than losing a RT and patching with Culbreath or Hilliard.

I also saw a post on here w a mock of the Lions drafting a DE. Im not opposed to the idea but it probably means that Avril isnt back and its more of a financial balance issue than an improving talent issue. The question is - could the Lions franchise Avril during free agency instead of signing him outright, then wait and see what happens in the draft. If a starting caliber DE is available - they could draft that player and trade Avril to a team willing to give him a long term deal and maybe throwing in a 3rd or 4th rd pick to us. if no such player exists, they could have Avril play w the tag or extend him and maybe trade him after a year or two if Willie Young and Lo Jack continue to show potential. It would save us cap space, I just dont know if thats within the rules.

February 15th, 2012, 10:36 am
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
allenslions wrote:
Also i asked my friend at dinner why they were so strong on culbreath.and this is a cool little camp story.it seems avril was match up against the kid for a couple indoor practices and was getting completely stoned when gunther finally pulled cliff

I just don't think it's prudent to bet your whole season on a guy that hasn't played much (if at all?) in an actual game, and base your new starting RT off of a camp story from last year. Also, we're betting on Gosider being able to be moved inside as well. I would rather trade Gos altogether. I don't think he's very smart, I think he's over-paid, and I don't think he will ever perform like a first round OLman. If we can get a 3rd to 5th for him I would be very happy.

To me it just makes sense to draft Kontz if he is everything they say his is. If he is of the same elk as Alex Mack then grab him, play him inside where the already KNOWS how to play, and have a smart, better OLman on the team. To draft a project CB/FS/SS/or LB seems silly to me. If we can get a starting caliber DE and we're unable to bring back Avril, ok, but that's the only other option that I see at this point that makes sense for NEXT YEAR.

This team needs to win now. It doesn't need to set itself up to win in 2-3 years. We need to make a run with what we have right now and try to get to the playoffs/Superbowl again while we still have Staff, CJ, Suh and co. We need to give them MORE of a reason to stay here. As of right now, I don't think one playoff game is going to cut it for CJ.

Sly... What would we save if we were able to dump Corey Williams, KVB, and Gos? Anything significant? Also, regarding Nate. I was looking up his contract and he had an $11 million dollar SB, but it isn't reported on a pro-rated basis. If we release him do we get a cap hit, or was there something weird with that uncapped year that allows us to walk away from him and save 100% of his next year's salary from the books?

Then how does a guy get game experience if you aren't willing to play him?

I have no problem with us playing him. I have a problem with RELYING on him to be our starting RT with little to no depth behind him. The only other real option would be to go back to the exact same OL we had last year, which would be horrible IMO. Our defensive secondary was the worst unit in any game, followed a close second by our OL and their inability to run block. IMO the OL is the most important unit on the field, and it is incredibly tough to impose your offensive game plan on your opponent if you're getting poor offensive line play. We've had a piss poor OL for 10 years, and it should have been fixed years ago.

m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Well, I think you are mixing up regimes here a little bit wjb. Millen was the one who extended both Backus and Raiola, as well as having reached for Gos in the draft. The current regime did take us to the playoffs this year, and they did draft Jason Fox, who was seen as a great value in round four and just can't stay off the trainers table. Perhaps he can step in this season and stay healthy, much like Stafford did last season after his first two injury plagued seasons. However, I would like to think the Lions current braintrust won't count on that happening and will continue to look for o-line upgrades.

I would prefer the team get rid of Peterman and Cherilus altogether, since I think both are overpaid and a liability regardless of where they play. Cherilus might not be as much of a problem inside, but he still has the brain of a gnat. But we can't just do a wholesale switch at every offensive line position in one year, so we'll have to continue to live with certain elements of them in 2012.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't hold them completely harmless. I mean, Mayhew was still Millen's understudy, and he doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to the importance of the OL. We still went into this season with Peterman as a starting OG, and Cherilus as our starting RT, with little done to assist in the matter, and we did draft Pettigrew over Alex Mack. I preferred Mack at the time, I think Mack would have made a bigger impact on this team, and I think Pett is over-rated, and has underperformed. I mean, he's getting outplayed by NUMEROUS 3rd round and later TEs all over the map.

Not to mention the "insider" reports that we're looking to basically do nothing to the OL this year, other than start Culbreath at RT and move Gos inside, and TRY to sign Gaither.

I can't say I'm happy about that plan one bit.

You do realize that Millen made the decisions, not Mayhew? You do realize that Millen went against many, many people in the front office when he made some of his picks?

As for Pettigrew, to say he's getting outplayed by 3rd round TEs "all over the map" is a ridiculous statement. Are you basing this STRICTLY on catches? Are you even considering blocking? Jermichael Finley may be making some bigger plays, but he can't block worth ****. At least Pettigrew is a pretty good inline blocker, on top of making some catches. Yes, I agree, he drops more than he should. But he DID catch 83 passes this season (third among TEs in the entire NFL, and 8th overall for all receivers). And he DID catch 71 last season. That's over 150 catches for 1500 yards in two seasons. Exactly what would you think his normal performance should be?

I want the Lions to address the offensive line too. But I'm not going to sit here and say someone in underperforming when that's just plain hogwash, simply because they didn't take the guy I preferred. Pettigrew isn't perfect, and at times he can be darn right nerve racking. As for the team not addressing the offensive line in the draft, perhaps they aren't willing to reach for a player they don't think is worth it.

I do know this. 0-16 to 2-14, to 6-10, to 10-6. Hard to argue with the results so far.

I base Pett being outperformed on his drops. I don't care that we target him an incredible number of times, and I don't care that he catches 75-80% of the balls thrown at him. I care about the insanely easy catches that he refuses to make, his "alligator arms" in traffic, and his drive killing and would-be touch down fails. He seems to lack concentration and heart, and I can't stand watching football players like that. IMO he's a slightly above average blocker. He hasn't "wowed" me in that department, but other guys like Sheff can block well too. Blocking TEs are a dime a dozen. Sure it's nice to have someone that can allegedly do both, but not at the cost of Petts drops.

You post a nice progression of our record, but it's going to peak and we're going to start losing talent. We need starters now, and we need to upgrade our older talent with more cost-effective, younger players now. We can't be adding project LBs, CBs, and safeties that are going to make rookie mistakes that cost us games. I'm all for moving up to grab a legitimate upgrade at LB, or a legitimate upgrade at FS or CB, but IMO this isn't the year to do it. I don't see multiple stud LBs or CBs this year that can be drafted outside of the top 10 and that are capable of stepping in and out playing their veteran counterparts this year. The same can't be said for OG/C. We can stay put, save money, get younger, cheaper and deeper with our later picks, and move some of our older talent (Peterman). I don't even care if we replace Raiola this year. Have Kontz step in and replace Peterman at a cheaper cost, keep Dom for one more season and slide Kontz over next year (and Kontz will cost $3-5 million less in his second year than Dom is costing us right now).

I don't believe that we'll be able to keep CJ, Staff, Suh, etc. finishing 10-6 and losing in the first round of the playoffs. If we win 9-10 wins per year over the next two seasons, go to the playoffs once, and lose our play off game in the first round, I'm betting that you can kiss CJ goodbye, and our entire offense falls apart. He's really the only star target that Staff has to throw toward. Without CJ we're a 7-8 win team, at best. Then people will be wondering why we don't have a better #2 that can step in, they'll talk about how bad Nate sucks, and how Titus isn't capable of being a #1, and we'll be on the hunt for our next #1 talent WR - at least we'll be picking back in the top 15.

February 15th, 2012, 5:40 pm
RIP Killer

Your thoughts on Pett are a bit simplistic and he has improved his hands. Blocking TE's are a dime a dozen, and pass catching TE's are a quarter for a baker's dozen. One who is good at both is a rare find in the NFL and Schwartz and company know this. Why? Pett is on the field virtually every snap, his presence or lack thereof, in no way tips off the defense as to play call and therefore defensive package needed. This will become ever more valuable as the Lions improve their run game and have a more balanced attack.

Scheff blocking doesn't compare to Pett and you know that and are only discounting it to try to drive home your point. Pett's blocking is well above average for the TE position, lets get back to being honest here. I'm hearing someone who didn't like the pick to begin with (and you aren't alone) and is looking for evidence to support that original thesis.

I'm also amazed at your crystal ball. It is interesting that you know our record is going to peak and we are going to start losing talent. Lets not forget the core of our talent is very young and their best years are ahead of them - the pieces around them can change.

Other than that, you are right on WJB! :)

February 15th, 2012, 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

As someone who makes his living evaluating football players let me tell you how he rates.top 4 at hos position .only behind kronk,davis and witten.and as for his drops only those 3 drop fewer with as many attempts.i think u need to start watching other te

February 15th, 2012, 9:45 pm
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
As someone who makes his living evaluating football players let me tell you how he rates.top 4 at hos position .only behind kronk,davis and witten.and as for his drops only those 3 drop fewer with as many attempts.i think u need to start watching other te

I agree. It amazes me how some Detroit sports fans, especially lions, it's like nothing is ever good enough.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 15th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't believe that we'll be able to keep CJ, Staff, Suh, etc. finishing 10-6 and losing in the first round of the playoffs. If we win 9-10 wins per year over the next two seasons, go to the playoffs once, and lose our play off game in the first round, I'm betting that you can kiss CJ goodbye, and our entire offense falls apart. He's really the only star target that Staff has to throw toward. Without CJ we're a 7-8 win team, at best. Then people will be wondering why we don't have a better #2 that can step in, they'll talk about how bad Nate sucks, and how Titus isn't capable of being a #1, and we'll be on the hunt for our next #1 talent WR - at least we'll be picking back in the top 15.

Jesus man, overreact much? So you think we'll end up being like every other franchise who has some success, rebuilds, has success, rebuilds... like a real NFL team? Are you wanting Millen ineptitude again so we can poop on everything he did and feel good about being right? Now the majority of us are going to be wrong more than right. It's a good problem to have!

February 16th, 2012, 10:14 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Wayne Fontes wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Jesus man, overreact much? So you think we'll end up being like every other franchise who has some success, rebuilds, has success, rebuilds... like a real NFL team? Are you wanting Millen ineptitude again so we can poop on everything he did and feel good about being right? Now the majority of us are going to be wrong more than right. It's a good problem to have!

WJB made the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All NFC North Team for complaining about his team. :D

February 16th, 2012, 10:43 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:

Pett> Jimmy Graham? yeah, not so much. there are plenty of others that are at least even or better than Pett as receivers (gonzalez and gates without even thinking about this) and even on his own team, Will Heller is a more consistent blocker. Pett has great potential as a blocker but on a consistent basis he s just not there yet. i think pettigrew could be top 4 or 5 at his position but I wouldnt rate him there, he kind of blends in with a bunch of guys after the top 5.

February 16th, 2012, 2:03 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

Pett> Jimmy Graham? yeah, not so much. there are plenty of others that are at least even or better than Pett as receivers (gonzalez and gates without even thinking about this) and even on his own team, Will Heller is a more consistent blocker. Pett has great potential as a blocker but on a consistent basis he s just not there yet. i think pettigrew could be top 4 or 5 at his position but I wouldnt rate him there, he kind of blends in with a bunch of guys after the top 5.

I think both you and wjb are rating all tight ends strictly on receiving statistics, and not taking into account what they do for the team in regards to blocking. Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham are great receiving TEs, but they aren't all that great at inline blocking. Tony Gonzalez is still a good receiver, but is nowhere near the player he once was overall.

Is Pettigrew a top 5 TE? I guess that's up for debate. But stating that he drops 20-25% of his passes is ridiculous in the extreme. He has his drops, I know. But he doesn't drop one out of four thrown to him. I will agree, however, that his drops seem to come at critical moments. But then again, so do penalties from Cherilus or Peterman or Suh or Burleson or.......anybody. I find it funny that people are quick to point out Pettgrew dropping a pass, but fail to mention that Calvin drops just as many. So does Burleson.

February 16th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Isn't WJB the same person who thinks Stafford is garbage? I can't take what you say with much merit

February 16th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
Isn't WJB the same person who thinks Stafford is garbage? I can't take what you say with much merit

Very true.

February 16th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next