View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 2:05 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Cortland Finnegan 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Cortland Finnegan
freep.com wrote:
Time could be the Lions' ally if they hope to land Cortland Finnegan, one of this year's top free-agent cornerbacks.

That's because the Tennessee Titans have yet to negotiate with Finnegan, an All-Pro in 2008 who turned 28 on Feb. 2. The Tennessean newspaper reported Friday that the "Titans still haven't made any movement in talks with the team's most high-profile free agent to be."

According to a league source not affiliated with the Lions, Detroit could be one of the key teams interested in Finnegan if the Titans don't sign him before free agency starts March 13.

Recent history suggests the Titans likely won't pay a premium for Finnegan or use the franchise tag on him. They let defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch and linebacker Stephen Tulloch exit and sign with the Lions.

The Lions -- along with St. Louis, Dallas, Oakland, San Francisco, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville -- could make a play for Finnegan, according to the source.

Finnegan would command a contract similar to the five-year, $48.75-million contract Johnathan Joseph signed last year with Houston. Finnegan likely would seek a deal for at least $10 million per year for five or six years, according to the source.

The National Football Post has reported that the Lions already have about $2 million more cap space committed in 2012 than projected cap room available. But president Tom Lewand recently downplayed his team's cap concerns while talking with reporters at the Super Bowl.

Finnegan could spark a happy reunion in Detroit. He was known to have a good relationship with coach Jim Schwartz in Tennessee, and he has been highly touted by players in the Lions' locker room. Finnegan also fits the team's mold as a solid cover corner, a good tackler and a durable player who has missed only three games in six seasons.

I would love to see Finnegan in a Lions uniform but I just don't see it financially possible. Lets just hope all the right pieces fall in to place to make it happen.

February 13th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
While I would love to see the Lions sign Cortland Finnegan‎, I don't see it happening. The Lions will be lucky to re-sign Avril, Tulloch, Backus, then call it a day. Of course, they could always extend CJ to a cap friendly deal in the first year and cut Corey Williams to make it work, but we'll see.

February 14th, 2012, 1:29 am
I hope like hell we don't get him. IMO he will be a locker-room cancer, cause us to get flagged more, and kill our reputation to that of the Bengals or Raiders. He is going to command WAY too much money for that kind of negative attention.

I would rather have someone like Aaron Ross from NY as long as they keep his contract under 3-4 years (unless they're extending it just to save cap space, with the idea that he's going to get released after 3-4 years), or Tracy Porter.

February 14th, 2012, 5:30 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I hope like hell we don't get him. IMO he will be a locker-room cancer, cause us to get flagged more, and kill our reputation to that of the Bengals or Raiders. He is going to command WAY too much money for that kind of negative attention.

I would rather have someone like Aaron Ross from NY as long as they keep his contract under 3-4 years (unless they're extending it just to save cap space, with the idea that he's going to get released after 3-4 years), or Tracy Porter.

Scary thought....but I agree with wjb on this one. I don't think Finnegan is as good as the rep he's getting, and I think Aaron Ross and Tracy Porter are better than what most give them credit for.

February 14th, 2012, 7:31 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I will be really disappointed if they sign Finnegan, especially if it's for #1 CB type money. They can likely get Richard Marshall for less money and he has better size, is one of the better run support CBs, and has less baggage than Finnegan. I also like Porter but fear he is going to get overpaid. Brandon Carr would be ideal but he's going to be out the Lion's price range. The Lions could probably get Marshall and re-sign Wright for less than what Finnegan is going to want.

February 15th, 2012, 8:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

sweetd20 wrote:
I will be really disappointed if they sign Finnegan, especially if it's for #1 CB type money. They can likely get Richard Marshall for less money and he has better size, is one of the better run support CBs, and has less baggage than Finnegan. I also like Porter but fear he is going to get overpaid. Brandon Carr would be ideal but he's going to be out the Lion's price range. The Lions could probably get Marshall and re-sign Wright for less than what Finnegan is going to want.

+1

February 15th, 2012, 2:30 pm
QB Coach

I'd like to see us sign Finnegan for a 2-3 year deal but with the cap situation the way it is I don't think we'll be able to. He is a #1 corner, I don't know why some people don't think so. With him and Houston we'd be pretty set. That way, we could focus on other areas this off-season (o-line) and either draft a corner later, or get one next year and allow them time to develop.

February 16th, 2012, 7:59 pm
Pop Warner Vet

I would rather draft some talent to play opposite Houston. Jenkins may fall to us although he scares me (and as a die hard Florida State fan I protest drafting anyone who played with the Gators) because of his problems but for some reason I don't see him screwing up a chance to play in the NFL - perhaps he has been humbled. I also realize we need to groom offensive line talent and would prefer taking Oline in the first round over CB but I guess we'll see who the BPA is - even though BPA doesn't seem like the scheme that will make this team better at this point.

February 17th, 2012, 1:03 pm
Team MVP

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
I would rather draft some talent to play opposite Houston. Jenkins may fall to us although he scares me (and as a die hard Florida State fan I protest drafting anyone who played with the Gators) because of his problems but for some reason I don't see him screwing up a chance to play in the NFL - perhaps he has been humbled. I also realize we need to groom offensive line talent and would prefer taking Oline in the first round over CB but I guess we'll see who the BPA is - even though BPA doesn't seem like the scheme that will make this team better at this point.

If Jenkins fell to the Lions and I was the GM, I would have a very hard time passing on him. It would be an even harder choice if Konz were still on the board (im a big "draft Konz" supporter).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 17th, 2012, 1:40 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I would like to see the Lions sign Finnegan. But, I don't think it will happen. The Rams have more cap space than the Lions. And Jeff Fisher is gonna want a familiar face to set the tone for the Rams new defense. Just like Schwartz did with KVB.

February 17th, 2012, 6:58 pm
Heisman Winner

Never was a big fan of his. He seems like a weasle and overated in my book. I'd rather roll the dice on Janoris or another early round talent that will be much cheaper.

February 17th, 2012, 7:15 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've come to the conclusion that the Lions won't re-sign Avril, so Finnegan is possible, but I don't see that either. IMO, they might be better off signing mid level players instead of $10M per year types like Avril or Finnegan. Just my opinion.

February 18th, 2012, 3:09 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

slybri19 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that the Lions won't re-sign Avril, so Finnegan is possible, but I don't see that either. IMO, they might be better off signing mid level players instead of $10M per year types like Avril or Finnegan. Just my opinion.

Agree, believe Mayhew will fill holes with mid-level players prior to draft, there by eliminating need picks on draft day. The Lions have 4 other DE's on the roster, and I expect them to draft one. So, I won't be surprised if they let Avril walk.

February 18th, 2012, 9:22 am
Hall of Fame Player

liontrax wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Agree, believe Mayhew will fill holes with mid-level players prior to draft, there by eliminating need picks on draft day. The Lions have 4 other DE's on the roster, and I expect them to draft one. So, I won't be surprised if they let Avril walk.

I have resigned myself to the idea that Avril will leave. That sucks though. He has been my favorite defensive player for the last 3 years. I seen something in him his rookie year and have rooted for him since.

edited to add:

Welcome to the world of comp picks.

February 18th, 2012, 10:23 am
RIP Killer

I don't think the Lions are out of the running yet. Avril making the statements he's making is all a part of the business end of things. If Avril really thinks about it, he has to realize that part of his success last season came from teams concentrating their efforts on stopping our DTs and leaving him alone against a single man. In years past the Lions had no threat of an inside pass rush. Even Tulloch blitzing from the inside helped Avril get some sacks.

It's all a matter of just how realistic of an approach Avril takes to things. I have a feeling if he were to sign with another team in free agency that doesn't have the same talent inside (few teams, if any, do) he'll have his money but he won't have the success any longer.

February 20th, 2012, 1:45 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next