View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 2:05 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Cortland Finnegan 
Author Message
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: February 12th, 2006, 4:20 pm
Posts: 1861
Location: Des Moines, IA
Post Cortland Finnegan
freep.com wrote:
Time could be the Lions' ally if they hope to land Cortland Finnegan, one of this year's top free-agent cornerbacks.

That's because the Tennessee Titans have yet to negotiate with Finnegan, an All-Pro in 2008 who turned 28 on Feb. 2. The Tennessean newspaper reported Friday that the "Titans still haven't made any movement in talks with the team's most high-profile free agent to be."

According to a league source not affiliated with the Lions, Detroit could be one of the key teams interested in Finnegan if the Titans don't sign him before free agency starts March 13.

Recent history suggests the Titans likely won't pay a premium for Finnegan or use the franchise tag on him. They let defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch and linebacker Stephen Tulloch exit and sign with the Lions.

The Lions -- along with St. Louis, Dallas, Oakland, San Francisco, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville -- could make a play for Finnegan, according to the source.

Finnegan would command a contract similar to the five-year, $48.75-million contract Johnathan Joseph signed last year with Houston. Finnegan likely would seek a deal for at least $10 million per year for five or six years, according to the source.

The National Football Post has reported that the Lions already have about $2 million more cap space committed in 2012 than projected cap room available. But president Tom Lewand recently downplayed his team's cap concerns while talking with reporters at the Super Bowl.

Finnegan could spark a happy reunion in Detroit. He was known to have a good relationship with coach Jim Schwartz in Tennessee, and he has been highly touted by players in the Lions' locker room. Finnegan also fits the team's mold as a solid cover corner, a good tackler and a durable player who has missed only three games in six seasons.


I would love to see Finnegan in a Lions uniform but I just don't see it financially possible. Lets just hope all the right pieces fall in to place to make it happen.

_________________
Image


February 13th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
While I would love to see the Lions sign Cortland Finnegan‎, I don't see it happening. The Lions will be lucky to re-sign Avril, Tulloch, Backus, then call it a day. Of course, they could always extend CJ to a cap friendly deal in the first year and cut Corey Williams to make it work, but we'll see.

_________________
Image


February 14th, 2012, 1:29 am
Profile
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
I hope like hell we don't get him. IMO he will be a locker-room cancer, cause us to get flagged more, and kill our reputation to that of the Bengals or Raiders. He is going to command WAY too much money for that kind of negative attention.

I would rather have someone like Aaron Ross from NY as long as they keep his contract under 3-4 years (unless they're extending it just to save cap space, with the idea that he's going to get released after 3-4 years), or Tracy Porter.


February 14th, 2012, 5:30 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I hope like hell we don't get him. IMO he will be a locker-room cancer, cause us to get flagged more, and kill our reputation to that of the Bengals or Raiders. He is going to command WAY too much money for that kind of negative attention.

I would rather have someone like Aaron Ross from NY as long as they keep his contract under 3-4 years (unless they're extending it just to save cap space, with the idea that he's going to get released after 3-4 years), or Tracy Porter.


Scary thought....but I agree with wjb on this one. I don't think Finnegan is as good as the rep he's getting, and I think Aaron Ross and Tracy Porter are better than what most give them credit for.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 14th, 2012, 7:31 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2311
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
I will be really disappointed if they sign Finnegan, especially if it's for #1 CB type money. They can likely get Richard Marshall for less money and he has better size, is one of the better run support CBs, and has less baggage than Finnegan. I also like Porter but fear he is going to get overpaid. Brandon Carr would be ideal but he's going to be out the Lion's price range. The Lions could probably get Marshall and re-sign Wright for less than what Finnegan is going to want.


February 15th, 2012, 8:24 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2233
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
sweetd20 wrote:
I will be really disappointed if they sign Finnegan, especially if it's for #1 CB type money. They can likely get Richard Marshall for less money and he has better size, is one of the better run support CBs, and has less baggage than Finnegan. I also like Porter but fear he is going to get overpaid. Brandon Carr would be ideal but he's going to be out the Lion's price range. The Lions could probably get Marshall and re-sign Wright for less than what Finnegan is going to want.

+1

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


February 15th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3216
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
I'd like to see us sign Finnegan for a 2-3 year deal but with the cap situation the way it is I don't think we'll be able to. He is a #1 corner, I don't know why some people don't think so. With him and Houston we'd be pretty set. That way, we could focus on other areas this off-season (o-line) and either draft a corner later, or get one next year and allow them time to develop.


February 16th, 2012, 7:59 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Vet

Joined: March 11th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Posts: 127
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
I would rather draft some talent to play opposite Houston. Jenkins may fall to us although he scares me (and as a die hard Florida State fan I protest drafting anyone who played with the Gators) because of his problems but for some reason I don't see him screwing up a chance to play in the NFL - perhaps he has been humbled. I also realize we need to groom offensive line talent and would prefer taking Oline in the first round over CB but I guess we'll see who the BPA is - even though BPA doesn't seem like the scheme that will make this team better at this point.

_________________
Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast!


February 17th, 2012, 1:03 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3363
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
I would rather draft some talent to play opposite Houston. Jenkins may fall to us although he scares me (and as a die hard Florida State fan I protest drafting anyone who played with the Gators) because of his problems but for some reason I don't see him screwing up a chance to play in the NFL - perhaps he has been humbled. I also realize we need to groom offensive line talent and would prefer taking Oline in the first round over CB but I guess we'll see who the BPA is - even though BPA doesn't seem like the scheme that will make this team better at this point.



If Jenkins fell to the Lions and I was the GM, I would have a very hard time passing on him. It would be an even harder choice if Konz were still on the board (im a big "draft Konz" supporter).

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 17th, 2012, 1:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7446
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
I would like to see the Lions sign Finnegan. But, I don't think it will happen. The Rams have more cap space than the Lions. And Jeff Fisher is gonna want a familiar face to set the tone for the Rams new defense. Just like Schwartz did with KVB.


February 17th, 2012, 6:58 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: March 28th, 2005, 7:50 pm
Posts: 805
Location: Burbs of De-town
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
Never was a big fan of his. He seems like a weasle and overated in my book. I'd rather roll the dice on Janoris or another early round talent that will be much cheaper.


February 17th, 2012, 7:15 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
I've come to the conclusion that the Lions won't re-sign Avril, so Finnegan is possible, but I don't see that either. IMO, they might be better off signing mid level players instead of $10M per year types like Avril or Finnegan. Just my opinion.

_________________
Image


February 18th, 2012, 3:09 am
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
slybri19 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that the Lions won't re-sign Avril, so Finnegan is possible, but I don't see that either. IMO, they might be better off signing mid level players instead of $10M per year types like Avril or Finnegan. Just my opinion.


Agree, believe Mayhew will fill holes with mid-level players prior to draft, there by eliminating need picks on draft day. The Lions have 4 other DE's on the roster, and I expect them to draft one. So, I won't be surprised if they let Avril walk.


February 18th, 2012, 9:22 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7446
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
liontrax wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that the Lions won't re-sign Avril, so Finnegan is possible, but I don't see that either. IMO, they might be better off signing mid level players instead of $10M per year types like Avril or Finnegan. Just my opinion.


Agree, believe Mayhew will fill holes with mid-level players prior to draft, there by eliminating need picks on draft day. The Lions have 4 other DE's on the roster, and I expect them to draft one. So, I won't be surprised if they let Avril walk.


I have resigned myself to the idea that Avril will leave. That sucks though. He has been my favorite defensive player for the last 3 years. I seen something in him his rookie year and have rooted for him since.

edited to add:

Welcome to the world of comp picks.


February 18th, 2012, 10:23 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
I don't think the Lions are out of the running yet. Avril making the statements he's making is all a part of the business end of things. If Avril really thinks about it, he has to realize that part of his success last season came from teams concentrating their efforts on stopping our DTs and leaving him alone against a single man. In years past the Lions had no threat of an inside pass rush. Even Tulloch blitzing from the inside helped Avril get some sacks.

It's all a matter of just how realistic of an approach Avril takes to things. I have a feeling if he were to sign with another team in free agency that doesn't have the same talent inside (few teams, if any, do) he'll have his money but he won't have the success any longer.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 20th, 2012, 1:45 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.