View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 A question for all u konz guys 
Varsity Captain

Post A question for all u konz guys
Ok first rd is over and konz is the pick.how would u guys address the rest of the draft?i also give u gaither in freeagency and cliff tulloch an wright resigned.now remember this is the real world so best wont be able to handle the load and mikel is a ?

February 15th, 2012, 11:58 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: A question for all u konz guys
Well, the last two years we traded up for a RB, why not do it again if we have to. Take Konz at #23 then plan for a RB in round 2 or 3? Just an idea.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 16th, 2012, 12:23 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

kdsberman wrote:
Well, the last two years we traded up for a RB, why not do it again if we have to. Take Konz at #23 then plan for a RB in round 2 or 3? Just an idea.

I agree that you can't eliminate a RB from the conversation just because RBs were drafted high the past two years. Last year, Leshoure was selected because the position needed variety, depth, and stability. A year later, the team still needs variety, depth, and stability at the RB position. It's as much of a need now as it was then.

Given the scenario suggested, S, DE, and OLB could all be considered but If there is a RB the Lions love, I won't complain if they take him in round 2..

February 16th, 2012, 12:40 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Although I'm not a Konz guy, (his injury history concerns me), I'll still answer. Our RB shortcomings have made bolstering the position a priority. I also believe the safety position is a priority as well. With that said, getting back to RB's. Sign one off of FA, draft one in the first 4 rounds, and sign one from UDFA. I won't speculate on who, because I don't know enough about the RB's in this years draft.

February 16th, 2012, 7:46 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It would appear that you are fishing for a particular answer, in this case drafting a running back. The problem is it is difficult to say who we would draft considering we do not know who is available.

Resigning Tullock does not mean we will not draft a linebacker. Levy will be tagged so Durrant and Levy will both be on one year deals. Durrant is injury prone and Levy can be upgraded.

Wright resigning does not inspire much confidence. Wrights play has been questionable and Houston has had injury concerns also. Alphonso Smith played terribly and should also be replaced.

Avril being locke up helps a lot but KVB is declining rapidy and Lojack and Young are both on the last year of their contracts.

Suh, Fairley, and Corey Williams were all injured last year. Corey Williams could be a cap casualty. Hill will be playing on a one year tender.

Delmas is injurey prone. Speivey would maybe be good depth but I do not necesarily want him starting.

Gaither has back concerns, Fox is a walking injury, Peterman is highly inconsistent.

So basically what I am trying to say is that I could see us adressing OL, DL, CB, S, LB, or RB. The nice thing about Konz is that he can play OC/OG. I have a gut feeling that we would go with Raiola for another year at OC considering the cerebral player and leader he is. Peterman, as previously mentioned, is inconsistent but I do not know if a rookie Konz playing OG can beat out Peterman when he is playing well. That being said with Konz on the roster I imagine we would not go with additional oline help barring a fantistic fall by an offensive tackle.

I have a feeling that KVB and Williams could restructure leaving little to no room for additional bodies on the dline rotation so perhaps we would bypass that position.

I believe running back is tempting but I believe we will adress that in a different manner.

That all being said we have cornerback, linebacker, and safety. Depending on who is available I would probably draft like this.

2: S Markelle Martin
3: LB Travis Lewis
4: CB Shaun Prater or Cliff Harris

February 16th, 2012, 9:37 am
RIP Killer

allenslions wrote:
Ok first rd is over and konz is the pick.how would u guys address the rest of the draft?i also give u gaither in freeagency and cliff tulloch an wright resigned.now remember this is the real world so best wont be able to handle the load and mikel is a ?

Based on what you have here, we've drafted Konz, re-signed Avril, Tulloch and Wright, and have landed Jared Gaither in FA.

At that point I am assuming Jeff Backus has left in FA. I will also assume either Best has retired, or the Lions have released him.

This is how I'd like to see the Lions then draft:

Round 2 - OT/OG Bobbie Massie, Mississippi
Why? Konz can replace Peterman or maybe Raiola. Gosder needs to go, or be moved inside. Get Massie, and let's see who wins the starting RG spot....after Peterman is sent packing, of course. Could end up with Konz at OC, Cherilus at RG and Massie at RT, with Culbreath being the swing tackle, and Hilliard as the fourth OT. Or vice versa. Lions typically carry four OT, three OG and two OC.

Round 3 - FS George Iloka, Boise State
Big safety with range to pair with Louis Delmas. Upgrading the defensive secondary is a MUST, particularly at the safety spot.

Round 4 - RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati
Might go earlier, but teams may seem him strictly as a special teamer. Mikel LeShoure can be the bruiser, even with his injury. Pead can be the change of pace, third down back. If LeShoure simply can't do the job, big bruising backs can be found for cheap on the open market.

Round 5 - DE Jack Crawford, Penn State
He's kind of flying under radar, but was impressive as a last minute addition at the Senior Bowl. I think he could become pretty solid, and could be placed on the PS in his initial season for development.

Round 6 (f/SEATTLE for Tyler Polumbus) - CB Justin Bethel, Presbyterian
Small school prospect who could blossom in an NFL camp. Is beginning to catch the eyes of scouts, and has made the sleepers list for several analysts. Decent size, could move to safety if needed.

Round 7 - LB Josh Kaddu, Oregon
I don't think we would be too bad off at LB with who we have, but I'd like to see more depth and someone to push Hogue so he can push Levy for the starting spot at one of the backer spots.

In the end, these are just guesses at who might be available and if they would be of value at those spots. I wouldn't be against getting a RB, but think the offensive line and system must be improved prior to plugging in a high draft choice back. After having two get hurt, I think you accept using mid round picks at the RB position and use higher picks at the OL. If we were to forego Bobbie Massie in round two in favor of a big safety with range, I'd be OK with that. I'd just like to see us be rid of Peterman AND Cherilus. If not both, then at least Peterman with someone to push Cherilus at guard/tackle.

February 16th, 2012, 2:34 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

allenslions wrote:

For me it would be simple............You would draft the best pick available. That has been Mayhew's draft philosophy so far and it has worked. If it works don't fix it.

February 16th, 2012, 10:06 pm
Team MVP

CMWSR wrote:
allenslions wrote:

For me it would be simple............You would draft the best pick available. That has been Mayhew's draft philosophy so far and it has worked. If it works don't fix it.

True, but there has GOT to be some exceptions in terms of positions.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 16th, 2012, 10:13 pm
Varsity Captain

yes his stratagy is great when you have a team thats 0-16 and no signs of talent anywhere on the roster.now he has to refine his roster putting talent to specific areas where the team is thin.here is how i would attack it
1rd-konz
2rd-doug martin-this little bulldog would make a perfect partner with best and lashoure .and could handle the majority of snaps
3rd-vinny curry-if he slides to us its a no brainer.if not i go josh norman ,one will be there
4rd-keenan robinson-lber depth would push carpenter off team
5rd-janzan jackson-my sleeper pick.this kid is gonna be a star.off-field issues are dealt with.i love him at corner.steel of draft
6rd-lonnie edwards-will sit behind konz in 2012 but when konz slides to center should step right into rg spot
7rd-cris owasu-injury history but worth a look could develop into a solid wr.

February 17th, 2012, 12:12 am
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
yes his stratagy is great when you have a team thats 0-16 and no signs of talent anywhere on the roster.now he has to refine his roster putting talent to specific areas where the team is thin.here is how i would attack it
1rd-konz
2rd-doug martin-this little bulldog would make a perfect partner with best and lashoure .and could handle the majority of snaps
3rd-vinny curry-if he slides to us its a no brainer.if not i go josh norman ,one will be there
4rd-keenan robinson-lber depth would push carpenter off team
5rd-janzan jackson-my sleeper pick.this kid is gonna be a star.off-field issues are dealt with.i love him at corner.steel of draft
6rd-lonnie edwards-will sit behind konz in 2012 but when konz slides to center should step right into rg spot
7rd-cris owasu-injury history but worth a look could develop into a solid wr.

Id be happy with that. First 3 rounds=3 starters/potential starters

February 17th, 2012, 10:36 am
Varsity Captain

I cant begin to tell you guys how high i am on jackson.i remember a few years back when he was a sophmore telling another scout how he was out playing eric berry.and if the kid got better coaching he could be another nnamdi.

February 17th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
I cant begin to tell you guys how high i am on jackson.i remember a few years back when he was a sophmore telling another scout how he was out playing eric berry.and if the kid got better coaching he could be another nnamdi.

Will have to keep an eye on him. I remember you telling me about Banks, are you still pretty high on him?

February 17th, 2012, 4:23 pm
RIP Killer

CMWSR wrote:

Even Mayhew said that the picks have to be sensible, and not just a pure BPA approach. Teams have to take some sort of measured approach in the draft based upon what they have, talent wise, at what positions. The best teams round out their rosters in free agency and let the draft come to them. But the Lions are against the cap this season and can't spend freely. Therefore, depending on what's done in free agency, the Lions may have to alter their board based on some needs. It doesn't mean they have to reach. I would hope Mayhew can somehow position the Lions so that when they pick, they'll take a solid player with a talent upgrade at a spot of value. Whether that means moving up or down will depend on the way the picks fall before the Lions are on the clock.

Let's look at some scenarios:

Jeff Backus is not re-signed, and no OT is signed in FA
What happens in this situation? The Lions simply can't hand over the starting job to Jason Fox, as his injury history makes him unreliable. John Culbreath is waiting in the wings, but is he good enough? Hilliard is barely serviceable as a LT. I would hope the Lions management makes every effort to position themselves higher in the draft to get a blindside protector, as this situation would immediately that position the top priority in the draft.

Cliff Avril is not re-signed, and no DE is signed in FA
Willie Young and LoJack are still on the roster, but neither is an apt replacement. Young is a pure pass rusher with little ability to stop the run. LoJack is better suited to spell KVB on the right side. Andre Fluellen is pure garbage. The Lions have said they want to rely on the pressure from the front four to minimize their need to blitz. I think DE becomes a top priority in this situation.

Jahvid Best and Mikel LeShoure are no longer able to play, Kevin Smith and Mo Morris leave in FA
Best could very well have to hang up his cleats. LeShoure will probably play, but won't be the same. Now the Lions are once again looking for a full time back who can catch, block and run. Suddenly this position, after using two high picks in the two previous drafts, must be addressed again. Even if Kevin Smith is signed anew (I think Morris will leave) the team can't rely on him to stay healty. The offensive line has hopefully gotten a bit of a boost in FA by this time. If not, I would prefer the o-line get addressed ahead of the RB spot. But as much as talent on the offensive line makes a RB look good, so too does a talented RB make a OL look good.

Tulloch decides to leave the Lions for a different team
Now what do they do? Put Levy back in the middle? I hope not. Strengthening the middle of the defense is paramount to stopping the opposing offenses. That's why I consider safety a bigger need than CB for this team right now. Spievey is the weak link in the secondary, not Wright. But even though Tulloch didn't meet expectation for the Lions this past year, he was certainly better than Levy in the middle. Do the Lions address the position in middle rounds, or do they use their first round pick on a player like Burfict or Hightower? Is Burfict too much of a risk, or is Hightower too overrated based on his Championship game play? Things to consider....

February 17th, 2012, 4:40 pm
Team MVP

M2-

You make some very very good points.

I think with your first scenario of Backus not being re-signed and the Lions NOT signing one in FA, they almost HAVE to do something to get high enough in the draft to take a solid LT.

And as far as Spievey being the weaker link over Wright, I agree with you on that also. If we re-signed Backus, Tulloch, and Wright, then drafted Mark Barron, I think that would go a long way to helping this D out, and the team overall.

February 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Personally I wish we would call the Best experiment over with. Ask the guy to retire or cut him. He's injury prone, just like I said he would be.

I would go into next season with LeShoure (with the high probability that he will end up on IR or have limited duty), Smith, and maybe someone like Ricky Williams, or a 3rd round draft pick. Chris Polk, Iseah Pead, and Chis Wilson all look pretty decent to me.

I really don't care who we take in the rest of the draft. BPA at the RB, SS, FS, CB, LB, and DE positions are fine with me.

I just believe that we need someone that can start AND be an improvement over their counterpart that they're replacing for this team to get better. I don't see that out of an LB, CB, FS, SS, or DE (assuming Avril is coming back) where we're picking. It's just not the right draft for it. If we want to trade up and grab a legitimate starting caliber LB, CB, or FS, be my guest, but be careful with that high priced talent. We're already cash strapped.

February 17th, 2012, 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next